Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I didn't see your game tonight but i'd like to know what your tactical approach was (if any) to try and win it? The inferior side in quality should always try to play compact and beat City on the counter. I'm pretty sure we'll take that approach and yes we will probably need some luck with that :D
It seems it was to go out, play open, don't bother tracking runners and really just let them do what they want to be honest. :rolleyes:

Edwards6

Remember they threw away the chance of winning cup competitions for this as well, bigger fish to fry :houllier: :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
They have conceded more goals than us now. But have played 3 more games

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think the main problem with Neville was the fact he said Utd had a better chance than Arsenal.
I mean there’s an actual chance we end up on a similar if not higher points total than you given your form.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They lost it in the three previous games, not tonight.

- 2-0 up at Anfield and threw it away. We were done after 30 minutes as well.
- 2-0 up at West Ham and threw it away.
- 2-0 and 3-1 down at home to bottom of the league Southampton.

We'll have to see what they do with CL football next season. This could be a stepping stone, or it could be a huge opportunity missed.

Fts 74

Maybe I was niave expecting Arsenal to get something tonight.

From being 2 up at Anfield and cruising, they have potentially thrown it away.I thought before tonight City would drop a maximum of 4 pts in the run in with 2 or 3 in tonight's game now I just can't see it and even if they did, would Arsenal capitalise?Probably not now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Am I right in thinking they took 50 pts in the first 19 games (2.6ppg) then 25 from 14 since the turn (1.8).

If they keep up their 2nd half of the season form they'll finish on 82 points.

Quite a drop off.
They're young and will improve but I wonder if a 70pt average is a truer reflection of their actual ability.

always_hoping

Arsenal are the first side to go four consecutive Premier League games winless while starting the day top for each match since Arsenal themselves in March 2008

Tarrou

Maybe I was niave expecting Arsenal to get something tonight.

From being 2 up at Anfield and cruising, they have potentially thrown it away.I thought before tonight City would drop a maximum of 4 pts in the run in with 2 or 3 in tonight's game now I just can't see it and even if they did, would Arsenal capitalise?Probably not now.
maybe? It’s Arsenal :lol:

Chief123

I didn't see your game tonight but i'd like to know what your tactical approach was (if any) to try and win it? The inferior side in quality should always try to play compact and beat City on the counter. I'm pretty sure we'll take that approach and yes we will probably need some luck with that :D
Arsenal basically played the exact opposite to how you should play against City. With Holding too.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans

We'll have to see what they do with CL football next season. This could be a stepping stone, or it could be a huge opportunity missed.
Yep. 100% agree. Losing to city away no big deal but these results all very poor.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal

even if we won 2 of those 3 games city still would’ve won it by winning today. It would be in their hands and they’re not dropping any more points.
fact is they are miles better than anyone else in Europe now. First against second should’nt be that one sided but then they beat Bayern 3-0 , Leipzig 7-0 and Liverpool 4-1 recently.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Yep. 100% agree. Losing to city away no big deal but these results all very poor.
Yeh tbh I'm not even that upset right now because a loss here was always expected. It's the dropped points against Soton and West Ham that really gutted me. That's when I knew we'd blown whatever chance we had at the title.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Yeh tbh I'm not even that upset right now because a loss here was always expected. It's the dropped points against Soton and West Ham that really gutted me. That's when I knew we'd blown whatever chance we had at the title.
I don’t even think it’s those, it’s city winning 7 league games in a row, and will probably be 14 league games in a row by the end of the season. Runs like these are impossible to compete with. They still look totally fresh too, the depth of their squad.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
even if we won 2 of those 3 games city still would’ve won it by winning today. It would be in their hands and they’re not dropping any more points.
fact is they are miles better than anyone else in Europe now. First against second should’nt be that one sided but then they beat Bayern 3-0 , Leipzig 7-0 and Liverpool 4-1 recently.
All very true but I think you would say you should've managed the Liverpool and West Ham games better than you did. The Southampton game was awful defensively from an Arsenal point of view.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal basically played the exact opposite to how you should play against City. With Holding too.
We did. I don’t think the problem was tactical, though. It would also have been suicidal to just try and shut up shop for 90 minutes. The real killer was our lack of application. Partey’s form have fallen off a cliff and tonight was one of his worse games for us. He never sprints at any point during de Bruyne’s second goal. And of all of KDB’s wonderful attributes, blistering pace is not one of them.

He looked like Lokonga out there. Odegaard was passive. Xhaka was largely anonymous. Zinchenko’s passing was off. Frankly, of our starters, only Ramsdale had a decent game. And he conceded four goals.

Especially damning is the fact that our substitutes injected some life into us. That shows the problem wasn’t just a lack of quality (though they do have the superior players). We were also just far too reactive rather than proactive.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
All very true but I think you would say you should've managed the Liverpool and West Ham games better than you did. The Southampton game was awful defensively from an Arsenal point of view.
Yes but they’ve been relentless. Last time we won the league we drew 3 of our last 5 games, it didn’t matter. This city team look like they’ll sweep up the treble and still have gears to spare. In the end to win the league you have to be the best team and that’s why city will win it every year.

Yorke to Cole

Yeh I didn't think we'd really do it until maybe a month ago. Then we lost Saliba and Tomi :lol:
I still had some hope, but knew we desperately needed Saliba back if we had any chance. Unfortunately his injury is probably worse than we're letting on.
I think if Arsenal could have Caicedo over the line in January, that could have really added some prowess to your side as a whole. I know it is "if and buts", however, I think that type of signing may have injected some physical and mental strength for the run in. He also wanted to come.

I don't think Jorginho is a bad player, (it would have been great to have acquired both) , I just have this feeling that Caicedo would have been not just a shrewd signing, but a massive game changer for you!

Zetrio2002

Not a surprise to see Arsenal losing.

Some players were simply not good enough. Their good players were Saka, Martinelli, Saliba, Zinchenko.

Some players were simply not tenacious enough. I don't think Odegaard is ready to be a champion. On some other days, maybe Emily smith may play better than him. Ramsdale was a disaster against Southampton. Imagine your team needs to win and the keeper commit a schoolboy error.

Chief123

We did. I don’t think the problem was tactical, though. It would also have been suicidal to just try and shut up shop for 90 minutes. The real killer was our lack of application. Partey’s form have fallen off a cliff and tonight was one of his worse games for us. He never sprints at any point during de Bruyne’s second goal. And of all of KDB’s wonderful attributes, blistering pace is not one of them.

He looked like Lokonga out there. Odegaard was passive. Xhaka was largely anonymous. Zinchenko’s passing was off. Frankly, of our starters, only Ramsdale had a decent game. And he conceded four goals.

Especially damning is the fact that our substitutes injected some life into us. That shows the problem wasn’t just a lack of quality (though they do have the superior players). We were also just far too reactive rather than proactive.
It just felt suicidal from minute 1. To have holding in a back 2 and only one holding midfielder in front, it was asking for trouble. Such a high line with such a weak link against City was always going to get punished. Especially against someone as quick and powerful as Haaland.

I know Arteta probably wanted to stick with what has worked all season, but you don’t play city every week. Teams have to adjust. Even playing a back 3 would have been a better call. We’ve gone to the etihad with unusual set ups in recent years and got a result by frustrating them and hitting on the counter.

Arsenal actually had the weapons to set up with a counter attack too. City would have been licking their lips at an opponent playing a high line against them and also playing out from the back against them. Not many teams play out from the back against city which means city’s pressing gets bypassed. Arsenal did everything City wanted them to do.

City should really have scored 6 or 7 goals today. That wasn’t the attributes of a title deciding game.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Yes but they’ve been relentless. Last time we won the league we drew 3 of our last 5 games, it didn’t matter. This city team look like they’ll sweep up the treble and still have gears to spare. In the end to win the league you have to be the best team and that’s why city will win it every year.
What's interesting is that they seem to look off the pace fairly often early on, and then come into their own in the second half of the season. I think Fergie's United did that a few times, finishing strongly.

City have only used something like 18 squad players this season I think. I'm sure I read that somewhere. If that's still the case then it's very impressive. Klopp was using a larger squad than that last season, giving the likes of Milner, Chamberlain, Tsimikas, Minamino & Origi 20-30 appearances minimum.

@padr81 is that stat correct?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It just felt suicidal from minute 1. To have holding in a back 2 and only one holding midfielder in front, it was asking for trouble. Such a high line with such a weak link against City was always going to get punished. Especially against someone as quick and powerful as Haaland.

I know Arteta probably wanted to stick with what has worked all season, but you don’t play city every week. Teams have to adjust. Even playing a back 3 would have been a better call. We’ve gone to the etihad with unusual set ups in recent years and got a result by frustrating them and hitting on the counter.

Arsenal actually had the weapons to set up with a counter attack too. City would have been licking their lips at an opponent playing a high line against them and also playing out from the back against them. Not many teams play out from the back against city which means city’s pressing gets bypassed. Arsenal did everything City wanted them to do.

City should really have scored 6 or 7 goals today. That wasn’t the attributes of a title deciding game.
I get what you are saying, but it's easy to say and not so easy to do. When they are turning the screw at the end of a season and in a run in, they are very difficult to stop. They seem to just hit peak form and fitness in time for the business end of the season. With this new formation they are stronger physically as well, they can now play long up to Haaland if needed too. I totally agree we didn't do enough to stop them, but unfortunately that's true of most teams when coming up against City when they are like this. The likes of Leipzig, Liverpool, Bayern, Newcastle, ourselves, all rolled over pretty easily in this run in so far.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
What's interesting is that they seem to look off the pace fairly often early on, and then come into their own in the second half of the season. I think Fergie's United did that a few times, finishing strongly.

City have only used something like 18 squad players this season I think. I'm sure I read that somewhere. If that's still the case then it's very impressive. Klopp was using a larger squad than that last season, giving the likes of Milner, Chamberlain, Tsimikas, Minamino & Origi 20-30 appearances minimum.

I think it took them a while to integrate Haaland into the team, now it’s clicked and they simply have too many weapons.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t even think it’s those, it’s city winning 7 league games in a row, and will probably be 14 league games in a row by the end of the season. Runs like these are impossible to compete with. They still look totally fresh too, the depth of their squad.
Yeh, their squad depth is just out of this world.

I agree, we're not a team that does well going the containment route, we never have been (even in Wenger days). Not sure how one would "contain" City right now anyway.

I hate to say it but I think Partey's legs are just starting to go. He's probably played more this season than he ever has for us and it's perhaps showing. Could also be due to Holding not able to cover him as well as Saliba. I can see why we're rumoured to be wanting to invest heavily in CM positions.

As I said before, I think mentally we weren't up for this game and were defeated from the get go. We had no confidence going into it after our recent poor run and that's exactly how the game panned out.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I think if Arsenal could have Caicedo over the line in January, that could have really added some prowess to your side as a whole. I know it is "if and buts", however, I think that type of signing may have injected some physical and mental strength for the run in. He also wanted to come.

I don't think Jorginho is a bad player, (it would have been great to have acquired both) , I just have this feeling that Caicedo would have been not just a shrewd signing, but a massive game changer for you!
Yeh, we tried but it didn't work out. Jorginho has done his job but he was signed as a backup (Lokonga's replacement), not someone to compete with Partey/Xhaka. Caceido would have been knocking at the door of the first eleven, like Trossard.

Tony Clifton

City will drop points.

Chief123

It started to click for them as soon as they ditched Cancelo who cost them in a few games. Once he was gone they nailed this inverted full back position with 3 at the back.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
It started to click for them as soon as they ditched Cancelo who cost them in a few games. Once he was gone they nailed this inverted full back position with 3 at the back.
Yeah that's true. He was at fault for Salah's goal against us at Anfield. Funny because he was great for them last season.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I think we've fielded 22 in total in the league. But Perrone has only being used once. In all comps I think we've played a couple more in the league cup/CL dead rubbers etc...

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It was devastating. It was down as 3-2-4-1, but really it was 3-2-3-2. De Bruyne was free to play up top alongside Haaland.

Ederson
Walker - Dias - Akanji
Rodri - Stones
Silva - Gundugan - Grealish
de Bruyne - Haaland​

We simply had no answer for it. The fact that they can field that team and have...
  • Ake (their best defender this season) on the treatment table
  • Laporte /Foden / Mahrez / Alvarez on the bench
  • Cancelo on loan at Bayern Munich
...is a joke.

Man, I hate football sometimes.

Last edited: