g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

ARSENAL OFFICIALLY BOTTLE IT! Arsenal fans now backtracking....2nd will be a great season for us! Surely that has to be seen as a failure??

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is a great Arsenal side which on paper may not be all that much apart from 1 or 2 of their players but as a group are outstanding. But if they do bottle it this season the devastating psychological impact on the players, not to mention the fans as well, will be immense.
Yeah, Liverpool losing it in 18-19 sure devastated their players and fans.

Crom save us from cliches

Strootman's Finger

Were you also under the impression that they are ahead of us before the season started? Despite the “project” being in flow for 3 years, nobody recognised it as a project for its first two years, including and especially, posters on this forum. Arsenal have made tremendous progress this season and ultimately, better teams than them have tried and failed to achieve the title at a similar stage against City.

When you analyze the season as a whole, for a team, any team, who was 5th the previous season and hasn’t finished in the top 4 for 5 years, can take pride in challenging for the title even if they fall short.
What do you call it when you change managers and let them build their own team? People can call it whatever they want or deny it is what it is, but that is a project and it's been ongoing for years.

Prior to the start of the season I would have said that arsenal finishing 2nd was a huge success, but that's before watching them lead and dominate the league for 3/4 of the season just to shit the bed in April. And this was their year, City had a slow start, Liverpool and Chelsea are out in the weeds, we're just beginning our project and Tottenham are being more tottenhammy than usual.

MoskvaRed

Unless Arsenal would have a meltdown and finish 3 points or less above third placed with City putting two digit point gap with them, it has been an impressive season. I don't think it's an achievement to be in title race and lose so I am being careful to make distinction with wording here.

Other things about Liverpool, Chelsea and us is not a fair point to downplay their season. They have been so far a proper title contender. Their point projection is very good, even if you want to take away the games against struggling big clubs.

It's however still a bottlejob and sign of weakness especially recent couple games.
That’s what I’m saying - pushing City in a title race is a great achievement, irrespective of whether they come up short. That is what they should celebrate rather than the mere fact of finishing second itself. There is finishing second in a tight race (Liverpool of recent years) and there is finishing second as best of the distant rest (United under Jose and Ole).

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
They raised the bar last season, and then added Haaland. It's why so many United fans don't care if city wins, it just means nothing. An Arsenal win would be a huge success
Why does it mean nothing? A dye in the wool manc from Manchester cannot be saying City being the PL top dogs and turning united into also rans is meaningless.

Redlyn

No way is finishing second a failure. They are in a title run that no one at Arsenal expected at the start of the season. It would be disappointing if they don't win it, but not definitely not a failure.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
The same was said of Liverpool after 13/14.

As much as Arteta is an annoying cnut, that’s a great young team he’s built and they won’t completely fall away, if at all. Depends on the level of investment obviously, but I think they will have another crack at it in the next few years.

Whether 2nd is a great season for them is subjective. You can argue that watching great football week in week out and securing CL football is great, taking into account them bottling it last season, and you can also argue that it’s disappointing because they end up winning feck all despite all the excitement.
This season is an anomaly due to both Liverpool and Chelsea - both top 4 teams being absolute shit. The same as the year Leicester won it when Arsenal had the chance and also blew it.

atkar83

Why does it mean nothing? A dye in the wool manc from Manchester cannot be saying City being the PL top dogs and turning united into also rans is meaningless.
Because they have the finances of an entire nation. Not even a rich company, even then there would be some spending budgets. A nation will have near unlimitless budget, so that really lowers the impact of any successes they have, Imo. The Liverpool PL win, as much as I hated it, felt more earned to me than all the city PL wins combined.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
5th to 2nd would be a huge step up.
But when you've led the league all year and held a big lead over City, if you don't win it its a big slip.

And there's nothing to suggest they'll have this chance again.
With equal games played the lead was at most 5 points. Not a big lead, especially with Man City.

mav_9me

Not winning the title will be a huge disappointment but I don't see it as a failure. Not against this City squad. Arsenal have difficulty dealing with losing their starting CB. City have 4 starting quality CBs. Its not a level playing field.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It won’t be a failure for the season but I don’t think they’ll have anything left to build up on.
They don’t have the quality, it was momentum they had all season and this won’t go into next season.

scottser

You do realise everyone will remember City winning it if they manage the Treble and going down as the best of the PL era and no one will remember Arsenal bottling it.
If they do win the treble (they wont), just remind them that we did it first, and they only won it cos arsenal spaffed it.

Cpt Negative

Pretty simple this.

At the start of the season 2nd would have been an unbelievable success

finishing 2nd with the positions they’ve been in in the last 2 games would be a failure. They could have the title wrapped up if they’d have won the last 2 games, instead they got over confident (like their fan base) and bottled it

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Didn't they win the CL that year? They had a better team than Arsenal.
They did, but if any loss could be considered psychologically damaging it would be the manner in which they lost the title that season. Kompany's winner and all that

And they defied armchair psychology predictions and went on to win the title in convincing fashion the following season

I'm not saying it's guaranteed Arsenal will challenge or win next season, I'm anti assuming losing the title will pose some sort of blow that'll cause them to spiral into midtable next season

RVN1991

Idk. Can see them beating City.

Still if they do finish second then it’s definitely going to be promoted as progression but they have a fairy big lead over City at one point so it would be pure naivety to lose it now.
No chance.

Red00012

If they bottle the league it won’t be by a few points and a close second, there’s every chance they’re looking at 3rd or 4th
:lol:
There’s no way on earth Arsenal are finishing outside the top 2

BarcaSpurs

The same was said of Liverpool after 13/14.
Their manager ended up being sacked 18 months later and it took a whole new rebuild under a different manager before they challenged again. I don't really think you could argue that 13/14 laid the foundation for the 18/19 league win, barely a player still in the squad.

Red00012

I can't believe how the Arsenal fans and now quite a few pundits are letting the club off easy if they fail to win the league this season. They were all full of themselves when 9 points clear a few weeks back and constantly taking the piss out of United and others. There was all the talk about no team being in their position at the turn of the year and not going on to win the league. All the chants and social media crap about them bagging the title and Fraudteta being the best thing since sliced bread. All the constant talk about them cooking something special this season.

Yet now that they're having a bit of a wobble and now suddenly finishing 2nd is a great season for them, signs of real progress and they weren't expecting to win the title at the start of the season anyway. The ironic thing is United would end up having a better season than them if they do finish 2nd.. They're not accepting that this would be a massive bottle job if they blow it now.

I can't see how it would be anything else but. Their fans are so deluded.
We’ve backtracked ourselves a bit

theballisround

Ofcourse fans who comment with 0 context.

Did Jose lead the title race for 90% of the time whilst having a 8 point lead?
In 10 years nobody remembers they lead 90% of the time and came second. Winners are remembered, not losers.

Irrational.

The salient facts are these:

- Arsenal sacrificed every competition they were in early doors to give them the best chance of winning the PL.

- At one point they were leading by 11 points.

- All this against a City side fighting on 3-4 fronts with fixture congestion up to the eyeballs, whilst they have a week’s rest in between fixtures.

- Their injury record has been extremely favourable, with Saka, Martinelli, Xhaka, Partey, Saliba etc fit for the majority of the season; which has allowed Lego Pep to play with very little rotation.

They won’t be in this position again for a long, long time and with being in the CL next season it will be much tougher.

So yes it will have been a massive bottle job if they don’t win it from here and overall another season to add to their list of trophyless seasons.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
If they do win the treble (they wont), just remind them that we did it first, and they only won it cos arsenal spaffed it.
But history won’t see it that way neither will the shite media or idiotic pundits. Only fans in the know will see it that way whilst the majority will see Pep and City as the best. This is why you should lament Arsenal blowing this.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
People expecting us to not be on this position again will be very disappointed over the next 4-5 years. I see us taking Liverpools place as city’s main rivals for many years to come.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
But history won’t see it that way neither will the shite media or idiotic pundits. Only fans in the know will see it that way whilst the majority will see Pep and City as the best. This is why you should lament Arsenal blowing this.
Well if they do the treble they would be the best team ever, how they got there is the issue, but no one will care about that.

TheReligion

Abusive
People expecting us to not be on this position again will be very disappointed over the next 4-5 years. I see us taking Liverpools place as city’s main rivals for many years to come.
Nah. I think Arsenal will be in the mix but it won’t be a two horse race. Those days are gone.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Nah. I think Arsenal will be in the mix but it won’t be a two horse race. Those days are gone.
It’s never anything more than a 2 horse race. Unless it’s a one horse race if city play next season like they have the last 2 months

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Feck me, you lot really are the most deluded fans.

scottser

feck everyone else - we will know and that's all I care about.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
A failure, not… a missed opportunity, yes. With CL and much higher expectations from day 1, next year won’t be the same. Another outcome is they lose the title on the pitch but win it in June because City are docked points?

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
A failure, not… a missed opportunity, yes. With CL and much higher expectations from day 1, next year won’t be the same. Another outcome is they lose the title on the pitch but win it in June because City are docked points?
Can’t see that, city have far better lawyers than juve

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It’s never anything more than a 2 horse race. Unless it’s a one horse race if city play next season like they have the last 2 months
This season could have easily been a 3 horse race if United started their season in August like everyone else. Next year will be way harder if half of Chelsea's shite sticks and Liverpool sign 2/3 players.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Leagues not over yet and I don't think failure is correct.

If they lose out in the end it'll harden them up for trophy pushes in the future, as it does with most teams. They're also still about 2 years shy of that peak average age of 27 that the winners usually are.

It'll def be a bit of a kick in the balls to them but no way a failure. Calling it a failure is roy Keane over reactionary nonsense. 90pts is never a failure and it's around that they'll finish.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
This season could have easily been a 3 horse race if United started their season in August like everyone else. Next year will be way harder if half of Chelsea's shite sticks and Liverpool sign 2/3 players.
There’ll be the same ifs next season.

Dan_F

It’ll be defined by what happens in the coming years. If they fade away next year and don’t win anything, it’ll be a failure (similar to how Ole’s finishes are seen). If they use it as a springboard for better things, it’s a success.

Guy Incognito

it would be hilarious if arsenal bottled it. the expression 'to make an arse of it' or 'to arse it up' would gain a nice specificity.
besides, nobody would remember city winning it by being excellent in their own right, this season would always be known as the year the gunners binned the title.
TBH they have a habit of bottling title runs. They almost cocked it up in 1989. And I still don't know how they didn't win it in 2003, that was an experienced team.

Arsenal should be kicking themselves if they don't win the title considering all the fortune with injuries and those 'name on the trophy' moments, winning games late. Perhaps the only solace is they've tied up Saka, Martinelli, and have a team to build.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
It's like when a team like Bournemouth goes away to City. They expect to get battered but unbelievably find themselves 2-0 up in the middle of the second half. They end up losing 3-2 in a late game collapse. A Bournemouth fan would probably feel bitterly disappointed given the incredible position they worked themselves into, could argue they bottled it despite the huge gulf in class with their opponent, but ultimately they would be proud of the team and the effort they put in.

This pretty much sums up.
Specially with the refrence of losing a 2-0 lead...

With the way this season has turned finishing second would be a disappointment but not a failure.

Not being in Top4 or gaining less than 75pts would have been a failure otherwise there is clear progress to be seen.

Loon

:lol:
Last two results have been disastrous, easily on a par with a 4-4 with Everton, but it's not over yet. City could have a blip of their own. If not, it is a capitulation which will hurt a long time.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think 2nd will be a great season for them. I wouldn't have predicted them to be in the top 4 or even top 5 going before things kicked off.

Drawing 2 away games in a row won't really change that. One of them was against Liverpool who have lost only once at home all season despite having a poor season and City got beat there.

More damage was done in February if anything when they picked up 1 point in 3 games. Even then, one of the defeats was to City who are better than them so no surprise there.

InfiniteBoredom

Their manager ended up being sacked 18 months later and it took a whole new rebuild under a different manager before they challenged again. I don't really think you could argue that 13/14 laid the foundation for the 18/19 league win, barely a player still in the squad.
I was responding specifically to the supposition that this would be the only crack Arsenal have at the title for a long, long time. We have no way of knowing the future and things change fast in football, just a mere 8 months ago no one would’ve expected them to be where they are now.

This season is an anomaly due to both Liverpool and Chelsea - both top 4 teams being absolute shit. The same as the year Leicester won it when Arsenal had the chance and also blew it.
Liverpool and Chelsea being shit doesn't magically make Arsenal play better, or help them win against non Liverpool/Chelsea teams, and they’ve played the best football in the league this season. At best, you can argue that a better Liverpool/Chelsea would have taken more points in their fixtures against Arsenal, and even then Arsenal would still be in the title race.

Their fans and manager are unbearable twats, and there’s every chance they will experience a drop off next season regardless of their final standing this season, but this is a good football team and they will most likely match Poch Spurs in league’s performance in the next few years.