Sat, 22 November 2014 @ 5:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 57 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    3-5-2, Young and Valencia over Januzaj and Mata (+ Herrera if he's fit and on the bench again)... OK. Bates has been pretty accurate lately, so basically we're fecked again. Even Arsenal can't find a way to feck up against a side and setup as crap as this (if it's true).
    I'm praying that Shaw is fit so we can revert to the other team.

Sam

Jesus, these injuries are killing us. That 3-5-2 lineup is just horrible :(

Deleted member 78215

While speaking about Liverpool's fav topic "Net Spend" Big Nose Thompson mentioned United having a net spend of 130+M :lol:

Where does he get his figures from? United's Net Spend was around 91+m if I recall correctly.
    I think it was pretty close to 130m, to be fair. Apart from Welbeck, we hardly received anything. Kagawa was 6m? Evra - 3m. Vidic, Rio - Free.

prateik

Have any of the resident Gooners posted a likely line-up for Arsenal today? It's hard enough keeping tabs on our injury situation without having to research our opposition's status.
    Does it really matter? It's Arsenal. They'll fold.

r0x0rwolfo

Against this:
    13 Szczesny
    06 Koscielny
    20 Djourou yellow card
    25 Jenkinson two yellow cards, red card
    30 Traore
    07 Rosicky
    14 Walcott (Lansbury 83)
    16 Ramsey
    23 Arshavin yellow card
    39 Coquelin (Oxlade-Chamberlain 62)
    10 Van Persie (Chamakh 83)
    Why are we counting yellow cards? Especially on forwards, did anyone count how many cards United had? Nope. A player sent off, yeah fair enough but it's good play that leads to them fouling.

Anduin

I'm praying that Shaw is fit so we can revert to the other team.
    Yeah. I know the wing-backs are supposed to offer width in this formation, but Sanchez, Walcott (if fit) and Welbeck will kill us out wide with their movement if we play 3-5-2. There will be acres of space to explore for those in wide areas with Young and Valencia 'defending', so we'd be better off playing an open game with our diamond formation. Yes, we will be open as well, but at least we would cause them problems with Di Maria, Carrick, Fellaini in midfield and Mata/Januzaj, Rooney & RvP upfront. With 3-5-2 it's all about taking a point IMHO, which won't take us anywhere.

Loublaze

ATLien
    I'd prefer anyone to Smalling at CB - the guy is just a nightmare waiting to be dreamed!
    One game where he made two stupid mistakes and he's a nightmare 'waiting to be dreamed'?! He was great against Chelsea the game before City and he'll do well against Arsenal today. He's our best CB. Evans is the real error prone defender we have, Jones is the most rash in tackles and doesn't use his head.

Newgate

After last season '' 90% soviet style'' collapse, i am not nervous as i was last season. At least van gaal did not come out and said that arsenal are favourites for this game or he was going to try and hope etc etc.. we will beat arsenal !!

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
    Supports
    Chelsea
    Hope you guys thrash them today, but if you can get at least draw then that would still be good!

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
    If van Gaal does persist on playing van Persie, then I'd like to see us revert to the 4-4-2 diamond. It's the only logical solution when accommodating him, as it means Rooney is allowed to play in his best position upfront and is at worst, a support striker, and we can still maintain some solidity in midfield with plenty of numbers.

My impromptu starting eleven, whilst begrudgingly selecting van Persie (as it's painfully obvious he will start) would be as follows;

de Gea
    Valencia - Smalling - McNair - Shaw
    Carrick
    Fellaini - di Maria
    Herrera
    van Persie - Rooney (c)

Subs: Lindegaard, Blackett, Fletcher, Young, Januzaj, Mata, Wilson​

Some of the key points from that team which could prove decisive in the outcome of the game.

• Rooney and di Maria (arguably our two best outfield players) are restored to their most effective and favoured positions. The former needs to be in as close proximity to the goal as possible and in midfield in recent games he has been far too deep where he cannot influence proceedings well enough, while the latter has disappointed in every game he's played out wide and loses a lot of his dynamism if he can't run into central areas as much and becomes all too predictable.
    • Herrera playing at #10 opposed to Mata. Possibly a bit harsh on Mata that Herrera's starting place comes at his expense following his winning goal, but Mata lacks the industry and defensive work that Herrera can provide in abundance and he might be able to showcase his pressing from the front to greater effect in a more advance position. We can't play ADM there, as we don't want his back to goal and Fellaini is not a #10. Herrera probably won't be sublime at playing between the lines, but I certainly think's he's the most suitable player for a game against Arsenal, aside from Rooney.
    • Smalling immediately back into the side on his return from suspension. Okay, our hand is forced with this one, but I really don't expect him to make costly errors like against City. That was his first ever red card throughout his career and he has received just seven yellows in his tenure here - including one against City. I expect him to rise to the challenge, as he is our best centre back (among admittedly weak competition) and the perfect player to tackle Welbeck pace. Subduing Welbeck obviously doesn't determine the result, as Sanchez is the main dangerman, but if Smalling gets the better of him, Arsenal are probably depending on Sanchez to pull something out of the bag like he has done so often this season.
    Top post. That midfield 4 is a no brainer IMO. That said I'd like to see Wilson over RVP as he'd be a much more natural partner for Rooney. That 3-5-2 line up fills me with little confidence.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
    Chelsea
    Do you want United to make top 4 then? Because makes no odds to you lot, Chelsea have won the league...
    Well they are slightly closer to us. Every title challenger that gets knocked out of the challenge is a step forward. That and because Pete said Costa and Fabregas would flop and we wouldn't win the league before it started.

I guess if we win then a draw would kind of knock both of you out, but I do like seeing an Arse crisis because of the conceit.

Traub

Well they are slightly closer to us. Every title challenger that gets knocked out of the challenge is a step forward. That and because Pete said Costa and Fabregas would flop and we wouldn't win the league before it started.

I guess if we win then a draw would kind of knock both of you out, but I do like seeing an Arse crisis because of the conceit.
    In the long-term, wouldn't United missing out on top 4 be the best for Chelsea?

felipe

If we lose this game I think it's time to bring back Moyes. He didn't struggle as much and van haal has had 150 odd millions to spend. This is simply not good enough

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
    Staff
    Supports
    Piracy on the High Seas.
    If we lose this game I think it's time to bring back Moyes. He didn't struggle as much and van haal has had 150 odd millions to spend. This is simply not good enough

Newgate

I hope you are just joking seriously?

SirAF

Ageist
    :lol: :rolleyes:

I doubt you are leaving the newbies anytime soon, laddie.

Glanville95

Top post. That midfield 4 is a no brainer IMO. That said I'd like to see Wilson over RVP as he'd be a much more natural partner for Rooney. That 3-5-2 line up fills me with little confidence.
    Cheers.

I think those four midfield players speak for themselves really. Carrick is our only sound option at shielding the defence and keeping tabs on Sanchez in Blind's absence; Fellaini has been in relatively good form and his physical presence could could benefit United in both boxes whilst stifling Arsenal's game; Herrera provides the energy and legs in midfield that our otherwise lacking in Carrick and Fellaini and di Maria is our best player so obviously starts.

It's merely a question of whether we add a fifth midfielder which would most likely be either Mata or Januzaj or go with two up top and I'm going of the assumption van Persie won't be dropped anyway. I agree with choosing Wilson over RvP though. That would be a bold move from van Gaal, particularly in a game of this magnitude, but Rooney - if partnered with one - is at his best alongside pacy forwards (Welbeck and Hernandez in recent seasons). Wilson isn't blistering, but can shift and that really is a necessary asset you need in your forward line if you are playing a narrow formation like the diamond. Wilson would be better at stretching the oppositions defence and pulling wide than RvP.

I sincerely hope we don't play the 3-5-2, but unfortunately Bates is usually very reliable on these matters.

Kazi

3-5-2 would be a good option in this game. Defend deep, and then break on the counter with Di Maria in the hole and Rooney ahead of him.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
    Chelsea
    Rob has a soft spot towards United.
    I do compared to Liverpool, Arsenal and City. I see them as the club most like us in terms of attitude, spirit and strengths, or at least I did under SAF, which is pretty much the only United i've known.

Trizy

Time to lighten up the mood.

LO LO LO LO LOLOOOOO RADAMELLLLLL FALLLLLCAOOOOOOOO!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
    Supports
    4-4-2 classic
    Relax guys, it's Arsenal.
    We'll win this one, I'm pretty sure of it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 81% of 839 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 543 ratings.

Score Predictions