Arsenal's title credentials...

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Perhaps a bit early to say, but how would you assess their chances this year? They are 8 points ahead of us after all. I must admit I didn't see this one coming at all. They lost on opening day, but since then have bounced back excellently. Ramsey looks to be finally living up to that massive reputation he had as a youngster, and the signing of Ozil looks to been a positive, in terms of on field talent and morale.

My only concerns would be their lack of cover for Giroud. Their midfield looks as talented as any in this division.

Ekeke

Looking quite good so far, but it would be very Arsenal to slip away in the final third of the season. The question is, which teams are going to be there when Arsenal probably drop off

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Looking quite good so far, but it would be very Arsenal to slip away in the final third of the season. The question is, which teams are going to be there when Arsenal probably drop off
I genuinely can't tell. City aren't looking amazing this season, Mourinho at Chelsea looks poisonous already, and we are in a trasitional period and will be lucky to crack the top 4, Liverpool are Liverpool and Spurs are Spurs. Past reputation tells me not to trust the latter two.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Top 3 will still be United, Chelsea and City... but I fear we'd be a distant 3rd.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given how poor the manchester sides are looking, you'd have to say they have a shot. On paper, they still shouldn't be good enough but both united and city are both massively under performing. And they've given themselves a fair buffer too.

LR7

Arsenal are benefitting from the changes at us, City and Chelsea. New managers at all three means players getting used to a different way of training, playing style, systems, rotation and new players adjusting. Arsenal in comparison have the same manager, play the same system and only needed to integrate one new first team player. It's why we're seeing more consistency from them. I don't remember us being 8 points behind the top team after just 6 games before. If they keep their noses in front and strengthen again in January people will have to stand up and take notice. Wenger isn't some rookie, he's won leagues before and there is no reason they can't do again.

Castia

They have actually won 18 of their last 21 games only losing one in the process, they are on a great run. They haven't had the hardest start to the season though and we will benefit when they play the likes of Chelsea, City and possibly Liverpool ( all fixtures we have played).

I think they have so real shot mainly due to all the other sides looking terrible in comparison.

Bestie07

The severe underrating of them has been criminal. They've been brilliant since around March, and the Villa match was more of an oddity rather than the current run they are on. I expect them to be among the teams fighting it out for the title, don't know whether we'll be up there with them or not. Somehow, the fans think that they will tail off just because they are Arsenal, but they don't realize that this is a mature team now, and they have Ozil, the best player in the league.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If they keep all their players fit and can string a season of good form they are in the mix... but the same has been true for a few years where either rvp was their best player and missed significant parts of the season or they started badly / fell away after new year

I think the title and cl places will be hard fought this year. We are far from out of it, chelsea and city will challenge and if spurs click they will undoubtedly be in the mix as well... even liverpool if they keep free of significant injuries with no European distractions can be up there at the end of the season

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think people are kind of overreacting by declaring them as title favourites so soon, although they're definitely in with some sort of chance, as opposed to back a few months ago when everyone expected them to struggle to get into the top 4. There are still some weaknesses in their side, for instance the defence still looks fairly average on paper.

I personally still think that City, Chelsea and United will finish ahead of Arsenal, but the gap between the top 3 will probably be a lot closer than people would have expected it to be back in July. Whereas I'd have expected them to be around 70 points before the start of the season, I think they'll be closer to 80 than 70 now, but of course that will probably not be enough to win the title.

rio's upper lip

Arsenal are benefitting from the changes at us, City and Chelsea. New managers at all three means players getting used to a different way of training, playing style, systems, rotation and new players adjusting. Arsenal in comparison have the same manager, play the same system and only needed to integrate one new first team player. It's why we're seeing more consistency from them. I don't remember us being 8 points behind the top team after just 6 games before. If they keep their noses in front and strengthen again in January people will have to stand up and take notice. Wenger isn't some rookie, he's won leagues before and there is no reason they can't do again.
Think you hit the nail on the head here. Arsenal might well win the title this season, as they are the only top team with some continuity.

humdinger

They are doing really well. I didn't expect us, City and Chelsea to struggle quite as much as we have, but Arsenal are taking full advantage so far.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal winning games has nothing to do with the other teams losing theirs.

I agree that ask these title aspiration questions are a result of the other top teams slipping up though, but we deserve credit for our form in the whole of the 2013 calendar year.

Bestie07

Arsenal winning games has nothing to do with the other teams losing theirs.

I agree that ask these title aspiration questions are a result of the other top teams slipping up though, but we deserve credit for our form in the whole of the 2013 calendar year.
Yup, how many away games in a row have you won now, if you count the West Brom game as a win?

Liam147

On Probation
Arsenal have less chance of winning the league than us. Arsenal have zero chance. Arsenal won't finish in the top 2, and third is pushing it. Look at their squad depth. Couple of injuries and Wilshere turns into a left winger. Come March they'll tail off yet again (or come good, depending on where they are). In any case, they won't challenge for the title, and might not even get fourth.

And you can quote me on that.

alastair

ignorant
Arsenal have less chance of winning the league than us. Arsenal have zero chance. Arsenal won't finish in the top 2, and third is pushing it. Look at their squad depth. Couple of injuries and Wilshere turns into a left winger. Come March they'll tail off yet again (or come good, depending on where they are). In any case, they won't challenge for the title, and might not even get fourth.

And you can quote me on that.
Hilarious to talk about squad depth. Recently we have been winning games without all 4 wide players we have. You can't beat West Brom at home with a full strength squad to choose from.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
The stability may be finally about to pay off. You can see them topping at least one of the manchester clubs given our respective shite form and Chelsea don't look in the best of shape either. As with most of the things with Arsenal it depends on a few key players staying fit for as long as possible. Will the likes of Ramsey be able to play a full 50+ game season and will Ozil be able to start finishing games. Will Wiltshire avoid picking up any more little knocks that keep him out.

I have to say that if any other club were to win the league I'd rather it be Arsenal than any other rivals. Good club who tend to go about things the right way.

(I'm now going to have a shower and will use sandpaper to scrub myself)

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
The vulnerability to injuries to Giroud particularly is obvious. Ozil and Ramsey's resurgence has taken a huge weight of Wilshire's shoulders, which was important. A quality striker aquired in January (a rare beast, I know), and they wouldn't be far away.

nemanja nemagic

If City get their shit together I'm convinced they will win it this season. It's curious how quickly my feelings have changed towards arsenal, watching them in the past few seasons I've kind of been rooting for them as I never perceived them as a threat. Now, especially with a few arsenal fans as close friends, and their form so far this year as well as ours, that is turning! I'd almost forgotten how much I dislike Wenger when he is in smug mode, it has been a long time since I've seen it. Very envious watching them against Swansea, when they marry the style of their football with that type of execution (a combination that has been lacking from arsenal sides in recent times) they're absolutely terrific. I think they stand a better chance than they have in about 3/4 years, but ultimately their squad is too thin and they will tail in the closing months. It will be interesting to see how long they can keep it going for. They will certainly finish in the top four though, their midfield is just too good not to.

Liam147

On Probation
Hilarious to talk about squad depth. Recently we have been winning games without all 4 wide players we have. You can't beat West Brom at home with a full strength squad to choose from.
Your fixtures have been easy this season. As hard as it's got was Tottenham at home. Giroud and Ramsey's form won't keep up, and I believe you've flattered to deceive so far. Admittedly, you did have a good result against Marseille, but when you look back to that result against Villa, Ozil doesn't solve all those problems. That back three just isn't title-winning. It's not even title challenging. It's inconceivable to think that Mertesacker, Koscielny and Szczesny will lift the trophy at the end of the year.

Your full backs are nothing to write home about. When you look man for man down our first and second XIs, you'll see we've got much more depth than you. The only thing that could hold us back and push you forward is the managers. Would you like to write down your first and second XIs? Worth noting that most of our second XI beat Liverpool on Wednesday.

EDIT: This month you've got Napoli, Dortmund and Chelsea (and Norwich) whilst travelling to West Brom and Palace. That's a hard month, and we'll outscore you in terms of points throughout October.

SECOND EDIT: Your November is tougher still. You go to Dortmund, Old Trafford and Cardiff (you'd do well to win any of them), whilst hosting Liverpool, Soton and Marseille.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

Silly post when you couldn't beat Villa either. One off games are meaningless in conversations like this.

alastair

ignorant
Your fixtures have been easy this season. As hard as it's got was Tottenham at home. Giroud and Ramsey's form won't keep up, and I believe you've flattered to deceive so far. Admittedly, you did have a good result against Marseilles, but when you look back to that result against Villa, Ozil doesn't solve all those problems. That back three just isn't title-winning. It's not even title challenging. It's inconceivable to think that Mertesacker, Koscielny and Szczesny will lift the trophy at the end of the year.

Your full backs are nothing to write home about. When you look man for man down our first and second XIs, you'll see we've got much more depth than you. The only thing that could hold us back and push you forward is the managers. Would you like to write down your first and second XIs? Worth noting that most of our second XI beat Liverpool on Wednesday.
The issue you have here is that you're basing it all on names and not performances. Szczesny has been good this year. Gibbs has been far better than any left back you have for 6 months now. Would you take Mertesacker over Ferdinand on paper? Our midfield is the strongest in the country. Stop looking at previous reputations.

Of course we're not perfect. But you can't deny that we do have depth in most areas, immense team spirit, and unreal quality across the team, even if you haven't caught up with it yet.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Let's take a look at their squad:

GK:Szczesny, Fabianski

RB:Sagna, Jenkinson

CB:Vermaelen, Koscielny, Mertesacker

LB:Monreal, Gibbs

CM:Wilshere, Ramsey, Flamini, Arteta, Frimpong, Diaby (+),

AM: Ozil, Cazorla(+), Rosicky (+)

RW: Walcott (+), Ox (+), Gnabry

LW:Podolski (+), Miyachi

CF: Giroud, Bendtner, Sanogo (+), Park

They have no injuries in their defense; that is by far their thinnest part of their squad, and if they pick up a couple of injuries in that department (which pretty much every teams does each season) they will have a defensive crisis and will have to resort to playing Flamini at CB or something in that sense. It is the weakest part of that team too in terms of first team players, so they are on a tight line right now.

As for attacking players, they have an abundance of central midfielders so a loss of players there won't affect them, unless both Wilshere and Ramsey get injured (which is almost inevitable one of them will sooner or later). They need to keep Giroud injury free if they want to be fighting for the title; Chelsea showed last year how you can't get very far without an effective striker, and he is all they have. I don't know how long Ramsey can keep this form up for, but it seems he is their main scoring outlet, so it will be interesting to see how they manage these next couple of games, with a nice run of West Brom, Norwich and Crystal Palace.

Liam147

On Probation
The issue you have here is that you're basing it all on names and not performances. Szczesny has been good this year. Gibbs has been far better than any left back you have for 6 months now. Would you take Mertesacker over Ferdinand on paper? Our midfield is the strongest in the country. Stop looking at previous reputations.

Of course we're not perfect. But you can't deny that we do have depth in most areas, immense team spirit, and unreal quality across the team, even if you haven't caught up with it yet.
I understand the point you're making, and it's an easy mistake to make, but I wouldn't take one of your CBs over ours. Even Ferdinand with his form, when managed correctly is a quality centre back. Over the pitch we can play two players in virtually every position and still look good. Most teams can't do that.

GK: DDG/Lindegaard
RB: Rafael/Jones
CB: Vidic/Evans
CB: Smalling/Rio
LB: Evra/Fabio/Buttner
RM: Valencia/Zaha
CM: Carrick/Fellaini
CM: Cleverley/Anderson
LM: Nani/Young
ST: Rooney/Welbeck
ST: RVP/Hernandez

Your first XI looks great but beyond that, there's very little quality.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
If we don't win the league, I'd love Arsenal too.

The way the club is run is really exemplary, and they play a fabulous, and fairly unique style of football that unfortunately has been hindered over the years by having their best players lured away.

They deserve success.

I still feel we'll win the league though. Hopefully they come second and win a cup, although I'm not sure their squad depth allows them the capacity to do that.

alastair

ignorant
Mertesacker is not a better defender than Ferdinand, when both are at their best. Clearly. The problem you've got, however, is that Moyes is exposing Ferdinand against pace which is killing him. Wenger protects Mertesacker against pace, and thus we utilise best what he does have. This is an example of where the quality of manager is crucial. It's interesting how in this thread people say we wouldn't have a single defender in United's squad, yet elsewhere the flaws of your team are accepted.

Liam147

On Probation
Mertesacker is not a better defender than Ferdinand, when both are at their best. Clearly. The problem you've got, however, is that Moyes is exposing Ferdinand against pace which is killing him. Wenger protects Mertesacker against pace, and thus we utilise best what he does have. This is an example of where the quality of manager is crucial. It's interesting how in this thread people say we wouldn't have a single defender in United's squad, yet elsewhere the flaws of your team are accepted.
Ideally Moyes will now have seen that Ferdinand cannot be playing all these games. Hopefully Fergie's had a word with him and told him he never played him more than once a week. We've an abundance of centre backs, quality centre backs too, so Ferdinand doesn't ever need to play more than once a week.

You mention Mertesacker being protected against pace but this just isn't true. He played against Benteke when he ran rings around you, and he played nearly every game last season. Maybe in an ideal world he'd rest him for these games, but your defence just isn't strong enough to be able to pick and choose the games. You'll see soon enough, when the games are flying in at you. While we play Leverkusen and Sociedad you'll play Dortmund and Napoli.

The only thing that could see you finish above us is Moyes having a disaster, not because the squad isn't good enough.

alastair

ignorant
Ideally Moyes will now have seen that Ferdinand cannot be playing all these games. Hopefully Fergie's had a word with him and told him he never played him more than once a week. We've an abundance of centre backs, quality centre backs too, so Ferdinand doesn't ever need to play more than once a week.

You mention Mertesacker being protected against pace but this just isn't true. He played against Benteke when he ran rings around you, and he played nearly every game last season. Maybe in an ideal world he'd rest him for these games, but your defence just isn't strong enough to be able to pick and choose the games. You'll see soon enough, when the games are flying in at you. While we play Leverkusen and Sociedad you'll play Dortmund and Napoli.

The only thing that could see you finish above us is Moyes having a disaster, not because the squad isn't good enough.
We will see. I believe you're arrogantly under-rating our team whilst wildly overestimating the ability of yours. You do have a lot of depth, which is great. Your first team, however, isn't as strong as others. Injuries always play a part, but we have coped better than clearly you expected, judging by how you only thought we had a couple of injuries when in reality, we have had 8+ out at points this season.

Liam147

On Probation
We will see. I believe you're arrogantly under-rating our team whilst wildly overestimating the ability of yours. You do have a lot of depth, which is great. Your first team, however, isn't as strong as others. Injuries always play a part, but we have coped better than clearly you expected, judging by how you only thought we had a couple of injuries when in reality, we have had 8+ out at points this season.
Time will tell, and I'm sure we'll be revisiting this over the course of the season.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I feel that it's still too early to talk of any team's title credentials. Last week, this thread could've been about Liverpool...before they lost at home to Southampton, or about City...before they lost at Villa. Truth is (IMO) the overall quality of the League has deteriorated in recent seasons & any one of the big and upcoming teams could win it; perhaps the truth is that the PL doesn't contain truly outstanding teams anymore, so the title is virtually anybody's. 'Best of a middling bunch, so far, aided by a kind list of fixtures' is probably the truth of it.

Robbie Boy

Their squad is very thin and I think that will be telling as the season progresses.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal

Benteke didn't run rings around us, he scored two penalties, neither of which he won. Mertesacker has been excellent for us and has been essential to our form this year. We had the second best defensive record last year, admittedly in a year when defences didn't do too well, but we also had injuries and shambolic Vermaelen performances to deal with. Mertesacker isn't a fashionable defender, but he is a good one.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
They have actually won 18 of their last 21 games only losing one in the process, they are on a great run. They haven't had the hardest start to the season though and we will benefit when they play the likes of Chelsea, City and possibly Liverpool ( all fixtures we have played).
Something a lot of people forget is our current run isn't just this season but how strongly we finished last season as well. All good pointing out the loss to Villa but they've also just beaten City and gave Chelsea a hard game as well, I think the referee cost us that game and more a blip than a big worry. Its amusing reading some posts here, basically analysing us on some highlights rather than actually watching us week in week out.

As for our title credentials, no I don't think we will win it but I think we look like we might close the gap quite a bit this season which for me is a big step in the right direction.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
They will probably finish 10-15 points from the top.