Arthur Melo - Juventus's old number five

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I loved him when he played with Barca, thought it was the stupidest decision to swap him for a 30 year old Pjanic, it turns out somehow even when Pjanic has been shit for Barca, Juve got the worst deal out of it.

I dont know what happened to him, but seems another brazilian rotten apple. Has a reputation of being unprofessional so Im sure that doesnt help.
He is just not that good. His ball control and ability to twist and turn are incredible. But what’s the point if you cannot see or complete even simple passes, can’t drive the ball forward, can’t shoot?

It’s like someone created a video game character and dropped the whole skill budget on a single skill leaving nothing for other skills.

His attitude and injury problems only make things worse. I hope we can fool somebody to take him soon.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is just not that good. His ball control and ability to twist and turn are incredible. But what’s the point if you cannot see or complete even simple passes, can’t drive the ball forward, can’t shoot?

It’s like someone created a video game character and dropped the whole skill budget on a single skill leaving nothing for other skills.

His attitude and injury problems only make things worse. I hope we can fool somebody to take him soon.
Parts of this would adequately describe Isco as well.

RooneyLegend

He's a player a team should only play in big games because of his limitations when passing the ball which can hurt a team when playing against teams that sit back. In big games though, a player like him is invaluable.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It pains me that we're not in for him. He's there for the taking on loan or a transfer, and he's exactly the type of midfielder we need. Look at how inept we are at keeping possession. This guy is the ultimate press resistant player and he'd improve us tenfold in that regard.

philipos

My Juventus supporting friend doesn’t rate him at all.
It pains me that we're not in for him. He's there for the taking on loan or a transfer, and he's exactly the type of midfielder we need. Look at how inept we are at keeping possession. This guy is the ultimate press resistant player and he'd improve us tenfold in that regard.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, I know a lot of people don't rate him, @philipos . Mainly because of how safe he is on the ball in terms of his passing, which is fair enough. To me, that doesn't matter, though. He doesn't need to be a Scholes because he brings something unique to a team with his press resistance, which instills a sense of composure to his team. It's all about team balance, and, when he's not playing for Juve, you see how much balance he brings because no one else can keep the ball when the going gets tough. Just like us now.

Tarrou

Was always a fan but pretty bad sign that Barca were so happy to get rid and now it seems Juve are too

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Yeah, I know a lot of people don't rate him, @philipos . Mainly because of how safe he is on the ball in terms of his passing, which is fair enough. To me, that doesn't matter, though. He doesn't need to be a Scholes because he brings something unique to a team with his press resistance, which instills a sense of composure to his team. It's all about team balance, and, when he's not playing for Juve, you see how much balance he brings because no one else can keep the ball when the going gets tough. Just like us now.
Multiple stories, at both Barca & Juve about his lack of professionalism too.

El Presidente

He’s, quite possibly, the worst signing we can make considering how unprofessional he is and we already have quite the entitled bunch.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Pjanic was finished when we traded him to Barcelona, yet Arthur-as-a-footballer never really materiased at Juve. He is a spineless Verratti at best, without his game management intelligence and the nasty side any midget midfielder needs to make his presence felt. An expensive, empty box, if you like.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pjanic was finished when we traded him to Barcelona, yet Arthur-as-a-footballer never really materiased at Juve. He is a spineless Verratti at best, without his game management intelligence and the nasty side any midget midfielder needs to make his presence felt. An expensive, empty box, if you like.
Interesting contrast of opinions?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Enter Arsenal with the poverty options Arteta has left us with this January.

Big Poppa

Supports
Arsenal
Enter Arsenal with the poverty options Arteta has left us with this January.
I sincerely hope not. Arteta needs to adapt his system to the players he has available, which he refuses to do.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I sincerely hope not. Arteta needs to adapt his system to the players he has available, which he refuses to do.
What do you mean though? He has 1 central midfielder available, how is he meant to adapt?

He's tried to use a 4-3-3 which has failed every time because Odegaard and ESR aren't made for it/have the experience yet for it. Not to mention Lokonga as a single midfielder doesn't work.

Outside of that, he could go 5atb, but that means we have to play Cedric which is just a no.

So.. he has to sign a central midfielder. There's no way to adapt our current system now without putting results at risk. And we don't have the time for that now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A fair weather Brazilian that only turns up when the going is good? yeah just what we need :D

Arios

Supports
Juventus
An unsellable tool! traded for Pjanic with a total value on books for 76+6m
Either we loan him long enough till his books value drop to a price that would attract a team or we're stuck with him.
At least he is 25yrs old

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Difference being Arteta has been there several years so he should pretty much have what he needs by now surely?
I'd say if some of your main choices in midfield are Xhaka, Elneny & Lokonga, I'd suggest not.

Big Poppa

Supports
Arsenal
What do you mean though? He has 1 central midfielder available, how is he meant to adapt?

He's tried to use a 4-3-3 which has failed every time because Odegaard and ESR aren't made for it/have the experience yet for it. Not to mention Lokonga as a single midfielder doesn't work.

Outside of that, he could go 5atb, but that means we have to play Cedric which is just a no.

So.. he has to sign a central midfielder. There's no way to adapt our current system now without putting results at risk. And we don't have the time for that now.
We pay him big bucks to use his squad and think outside the box.

He could use Chambers or White as a CDM. Both have played there in the PL and done relatively well.

He's tried the 433 what once? maybe twice? You can only have one of Odegaard or ESR as an inside 8 in a 433 anyway, and he used both. Both are good at reading play and intercepting passes but not physically or tactically astute enough in the defensive phase yet as you suggested. Whenever Chelsea used Mount there, they always had 2 of Kovacic, Kante or Jorginho.

He also has the option of promoting a more rugged player who's strong in the tackle from the U23s like Akinola too.

This ship may have already sailed though, as by this time next week, we'll have played all our most important games during AFCON.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I see what @Yagami is saying and agree in principle - we completely lack a central midfielder than can just straight up pass the ball in the middle of the field, rotate play by keeping it moving, and be good under the press. A central midfielder who’s going to end a game with 70+ accurate passes.

Arthur isn’t the one for us, but a player with that skillset would be greatly appreciated.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Maitland-Niles and Saka are perfectly capable at CM, you can't cry about your depth in that position really.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Maitland-Niles and Saka are perfectly capable at CM, you can't cry about your depth in that position really.
Saka has never played CM before.. Attacking mid, sort of, but in a pivot, no.

AMN yes, that's the only confusing one. The club must have let him go as he was desperate and didn't get his move in the summer. Roma must also have said now or never, so we did it.

Nobody is crying, just saying we need a signing. Xhaka has covid, Partey and Elneny are at AFCON, and AMN is gone. Lokonga is the only one left..

TwoSheds

Saka has never played CM before.. Attacking mid, sort of, but in a pivot, no.

AMN yes, that's the only confusing one. The club must have let him go as he was desperate and didn't get his move in the summer. Roma must also have said now or never, so we did it.

Nobody is crying, just saying we need a signing. Xhaka has covid, Partey and Elneny are at AFCON, and AMN is gone. Lokonga is the only one left..
Xhaka won't have Covid for long and Saka will do well there, I think that will be his best position in the long run.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Xhaka won't have Covid for long and Saka will do well there, I think that will be his best position in the long run.
In a pivot?

At first I thought maybe that, but not anymore. He literally beats his man for fun most the time. He can cross well and his finishing is improving. Would be a huge waste.

TwoSheds

In a pivot?

At first I thought maybe that, but not anymore. He literally beats his man for fun most the time. He can cross well and his finishing is improving. Would be a huge waste.
Box to box. I'm sure he'll be a good winger as well but I think he's got everything for that central role.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Is that not on him though? Didn't he buy Lokonga
He did buy Lokonga but him & Tavares are a bit like project players (I know you guys hate that saying). It's a big ask for him to be the senior 1 in there with a rookie, but then again, that's partly on Arteta not planning for AFCON properly & rather strangely allowing Maitland-Niles to go on loan at the beginning of the window. That could cost us badly, already out the FA Cup, a semi final coming up & an important North London derby & he's left us short.

However, there's no denying he wants at least 1 more 'senior' body for midfield, its the 1 signing that he didn't make in the summer that seemed dependent on Xhaka leaving. With Maitland-Niles & Elneny leaving in the next 6 months that becomes more prevalent hence the links to the likes of Bruno Guimaraes. That and a forward will be the 2 main areas of the first XI that will be updated over the next 2 windows.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Some dodgy links in the media again today, let's see if anyone more reliable chips in.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Was always a fan but pretty bad sign that Barca were so happy to get rid and now it seems Juve are too
For what it's worth, Allegri apparently wants to keep him.
Interesting contrast of opinions?
Ha, yeah. I know I'm somewhat in the minority when it comes to Arthur.

As I said in another thread, it's night and day when he plays:
I wouldn't say he was excelling. He's had an iffy time at Juve which is why he's probably leaving this window, but I think him importance to the team is understated. Last season for example, I don't think it was a coincidence Juve only lost one game when he started (which, funnily enough, an Arthur error cost them said match!). He brings balance and composure that is vital.

It was especially obvious in Europe. In the home game against Barca without Arthur, they were turned over. Second leg he starts and they are comfortable. When he goes off after an hour or so, Juve can't keep the ball and struggle, but they already had the match won. Then there's the Porto games. The 1st leg without him and 2nd leg with him are, again, night and day. They'd have qualified had be been available for the 1st leg.
As well as those examples, it's funny because his impact against Roma last week was something he did on his debut last season, too. He turned the game as a sub. Juve were 2-1 down, down to 10 men, he comes on, adds some much needed control and composure, and they get a result:

You can't get the ball off him.
A fair weather Brazilian that only turns up when the going is good? yeah just what we need :D
On the pitch he's pretty reliable. Exactly the midfielder you want under pressure as he never hides. Off it, yeah, some concerns, but he's not too bad, and he's worth the risk because of what he adds when he's on the pitch.

You see Arteta shipping out all the bad eggs; only wanting players who are committed to his project, and be wants Arthur. For £22m, it's a no brainer.
I see what @Yagami is saying and agree in principle - we completely lack a central midfielder than can just straight up pass the ball in the middle of the field, rotate play by keeping it moving, and be good under the press. A central midfielder who’s going to end a game with 70+ accurate passes.

Arthur isn’t the one for us, but a player with that skillset would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, it just gets me because - aside from just being a fan of the player - I think he's one of the three best players of that ilk, and he's there for the taking for around £20m. The other two being Verratti and De Jong.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Off to London then. Apparently a loan with an option to buy. What a deal. That would've been perfect for us on the short term this season. Gutted!

macheda14

If he finds his Barcelona form then they’ve got a seriously good player. Just think he’s never recovered from his STD.

Nero

Bang average. Remember when this place lost its shit when Saul joined Chelsea last summer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s kind of Thiago-lite without the range of pass, so it makes a lot of sense stylistically. They’ve got a lot of Brazilians in the club to keep his party boy moves under wraps too. Just wonder if he’ll have the physicality needed to get around the pitch.