Arturo Vidal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I'm currently in Italy and was watching Sky Sporta Italia and they were clearly discussing Juve's potential team this year. They had Morata up front with a ? next to his name and Evra in at left back with a ? next to his name. Are there rumours going round? Obviously I couldn't understand what was being said…

Sidenote: Vidal was in there without a question mark :(
Wrote this in the Evra thread about 5 days ago I believe. Do we now think it could actually have something to do with the Vidal "deal" or offer? I actually think it would be better to just settle in cash purely as we wouldn't be able to get a back up left back at Pat's level for less than 10-15 million.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
By 31st July 2014 we will sign him. People need to be patient.

032Devil

I certainly hadnt lost confidence in SAF, or in our ability to win titles. I lost confidence that we would ever buy a midfielder.
Perhaps that's one of the things that made SAF great. He knew what we needed, when we needed it. He could make players who look average now, perform like supermen so much so that even a very good manager like David Moyes couldn't get near to reproducing his genius.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Your negativity is not welcome :nono:
Well said Mel. You tell him son :)

NMF - get your coat big son. We don t need your type round these parts. This is purely for the eternal optimist mindset..

By 31st July 2014 we will sign him. People need to be patient.
Have you been playin around with that German Octupus or some shit man?

Stick to the Ol'Skool Ouija Board is my advice - worked a treat for Djembe Djembe :cool:

Wrote this in the Evra thread about 5 days ago I believe. Do we now think it could actually have something to do with the Vidal "deal" or offer? I actually think it would be better to just settle in cash purely as we wouldn't be able to get a back up left back at Pat's level for less than 10-15 million.
Seriously dude - "Tim Henman"?

What made you choose that name - unless of course its your real name?!

I dont think it is to be honest. My money's on you being a "Henmaniac" - am i right bro???

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Well said Mel. You tell him son :)

NMF - get your coat big son. We don t need your type round these parts. This is purely for the eternal optimist mindset..

Have you been playin around with that German Octupus or some shit man?

Stick to the Ol'Skool Ouija Board is my advice - worked a treat for Djembe Djembe :cool:

Seriously dude - "Tim Henman"?

What made you choose that name - unless of course its your real name?!

I dont think it is to be honest. My money's on you being a "Henmaniac" - am i right bro???
Wasn't my choice "dude"

Jev

Hate to be a killjoy, but has any reputable paper/source/reporter even mentioned Vidal going to United?
Several reputable sources have said we are interested and likely to bid. No reputable sources have said we'll definitely get him.

Adebesi

Perhaps that's one of the things that made SAF great. He knew what we needed, when we needed it. He could make players who look average now, perform like supermen so much so that even a very good manager like David Moyes couldn't get near to reproducing his genius.
The two parts of what you are saying strike me as subtly different - knowing what is needed versus the ability to make seemingly average players perform like supermen. I would argue the latter is the more accurate one, and is really the essence of what made SAF successful, or one of the key ingredients, anyway.

While he was at the club there is no doubt he understood exactly what was needed. But once he left we didnt have players performing like supermen and needed better players, therefore he failed to identify what was needed when it was needed. He seems to have incorrectly assumed that others would be able to extract the same from his players as he could.

Or else maybe other managers would also have been able to extract more from the players, maybe it wasnt average players playing like supermen for SAF, it was very good players playing like numpties for Moyes. But then the end result is the same, he completely misjudged what was needed - not among his players but in his choice of successor.

I'd say both are true to some extent. Moyes was not the right manager, but SAF also had a knack for getting the most out of his players that few managers could replicate.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Put my real name as username thinking it was just the signup information box.. Then requested a change when I realised it.. The admin googled me (Think it was @Spoony) and gave me that name. Took it on the chin like a man :D
Well man - you have my respect anyway. It could have been worse i guess.

Sure, the Irish folk on here thought i was a Loyalist Paramilitary at first ffs - "Red Hand Commando's" aka UVF, type of shite. Then i had to draw a picture of what my name means:

"Red Hand" - Country Tyrone (Norn Iron)

"Devil" - United (Red Devil)

Have to say, when you think about United & our deep-roots to Catholicism - yet we have "Red Devils" as our nickname. Friggin bizarre. Friggin class nickname though eh?!

Oh & if you want any advice on girl-friend trouble - i'm yer man Tim. Shame i'm feckin useless takin my own advice though. If i was married once - i'd be divorced twice.

Best advice i can give ya - if yer woman asks you how she looks, say she looks "fantastic" & in yer head follow it up by saying: "fantastic... but i'd love to bang your older Sister instead.." Carry it off with a smug head-nod & she'll think she's gonna get it later, but all the while you'll be thinkin of her Sis. Thats how us blokes keep the fires burning in a relationship - picture someone else & preferably not an animal either...

Back to main topic - Vidal. It doesnt get any better than that fella. We've been crying out for a Keano replacement since before he left for Christ sake & Vidal is the dream signing for us.

If we sign him - i hope you know that your lady is gonna be picturing him instead of you - so get yer own back dude.. ;)

032Devil

The two parts of what you are saying strike me as subtly different - knowing what is needed versus the ability to make seemingly average players perform like supermen. I would argue the latter is the more accurate one, and is really the essence of what made SAF successful, or one of the key ingredients, anyway.
From what I concluded from read the press at the time, Sir Alex wasn't ready to retire and was reasoned into doing so because he was facing several months out with a hip operation and considering this, it would have been the right time for him to retire and for United to appoint the Everton manager. Rumours were doing the round that both City and Chelsea were taking a serious interest in him and the United board considered Moyes to be the right manager for United. Later rumours also said that Sir Alex himself preferred the now Real Madrid manager, Ancelotti.

If SAF was not contemplating retirement then that could be one reason that he hadn't had universally recognised players in key central positions ready for hand-over. Or it could be argued that any decent manager worth his reputation should be able to take a Premiership winning team and the very least he could achieved was to keep them in the top four. Moyes made major errors as did Woodward but that is a separate story.

While he was at the club there is no doubt he understood exactly what was needed. But once he left we didnt have players performing like supermen and needed better players, therefore he failed to identify what was needed when it was needed. He seems to have incorrectly assumed that others would be able to extract the same from his players as he could.
Excuse me for saying this but this is a ridiculous point. Are you arguing that SAF should have recognised which players an incoming manager needed that he didn't have? Are you arguing that SAF should have been able to predict the future? Because that's how it reads to me. It's not for SAF to recognise what others might have needed. What he had was regularly good enough for him for winning titles, cups and perform very well in the Champions League. Any incoming manager would have had an excellent base to build on. To blame Sir Alex is just wrong.

Or else maybe other managers would also have been able to extract more from the players, maybe it wasnt average players playing like supermen for SAF, it was very good players playing like numpties for Moyes. But then the end result is the same, he completely misjudged what was needed - not among his players but in his choice of successor.
Again from what I read at the time and reasoned myself, Moyes made crucial mistakes like getting rid of all of SAFs coaches and replacing them with Everton coaches who had never experienced success or the unique problems of the CL. He replaced top coaches with average coaches. We will probably never know if United under-performed for Moyes or Moyes was well out of his depth.

I agree with your final conclusion though.

Adebesi

Excuse me for saying this but this is a ridiculous point. Are you arguing that SAF should have recognised which players an incoming manager needed that he didn't have? Are you arguing that SAF should have been able to predict the future? Because that's how it reads to me. It's not for SAF to recognise what others might have needed. What he had was regularly good enough for him for winning titles, cups and perform very well in the Champions League. Any incoming manager would have had an excellent base to build on. To blame Sir Alex is just wrong.
I guess I am just trying to separate the legacy into two parts. SAF could get the best out of that midfield and win titles with it, so that is great. However, the rest of the world, from fans to journalists and to his successor himself, felt that midfield was weak. And many people repeatedly pointed it out to him. So it cant have been much of a surprise when he handed over the reigns and Moyes struggled. He hadnt identified what we needed at that point because we were woefully ill-equipped.

Ive actually sat on your side of this discussion in the past, defending the squad SAF handed over, so I see exactly where you are coming from. I would make the case that the gaps in midfield left Moyes the opportunity to make his own mark on the squad. If SAF had handed over a title winning squad with no significant weaknesses in it that might have made it hard for Moyes to make his mark, he would have felt like a caretaker looking after someone else's team. That is how Ive tried to rationalise what happened.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
It's alright guys; Kermit has handwritten a letter to Arturo Vidal's agent expressing the deep desires of the caf to see Arturo Vidal in a Manchester United shirt next season. He's included a few muppet classics in the package, too.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Story is currently trending on newsnow.co.uk which makes it just as stupid as all the other transfer rumors only from a source that you have actually hear of.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I take it the Daily Star article is drawing from the below Gazetta story...

THE MANCHESTER UNITED - Who came out of the closet was definitely Manchester United, who begins to shake up the market this summer at shots millionaires. In recent days, in fact Van Gaal has defined the purchase of Herrera and even to Shaw at a cost of around 40 million. The re-founding of the United Netherlands, however, is only at dawn: for weeks, Van Gaal is monitoring developments in the Chilean Juventus and he did follow in this first part of the World Championship in Brazil (injuries permitting). Now would be a first offer ready to be submitted to Juventus: the British press about a "substantial" part in cash (Juventus wants to obtain between 40 and 45 million) plus the inclusion of a welcome counterpart to Antonio Conte. The name circulating is to Dwarves.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
this is 3 days old Wibble!
But more importantly, it's the Daily Star.

I take it the Daily Star article is drawing from the below Gazetta story...

THE MANCHESTER UNITED - Who came out of the closet was definitely Manchester United, who begins to shake up the market this summer at shots millionaires. In recent days, in fact Van Gaal has defined the purchase of Herrera and even to Shaw at a cost of around 40 million. The re-founding of the United Netherlands, however, is only at dawn: for weeks, Van Gaal is monitoring developments in the Chilean Juventus and he did follow in this first part of the World Championship in Brazil (injuries permitting). Now would be a first offer ready to be submitted to Juventus: the British press about a "substantial" part in cash (Juventus wants to obtain between 40 and 45 million) plus the inclusion of a welcome counterpart to Antonio Conte. The name circulating is to Dwarves.
I don't know how anyone could possibly draw anything from that story. Something about Dwarves coming out of the closet?

red_7

If we ever had a chance to sign Vidal, Kroos going to Real Madrid is a danger because the interest of Bayern has in Vidal.

mufcwarm92

:lol:

If you read that article, it basically says Wenger loves Vidal but probably won't pay 40m for him. I think that probably applies to almost every manager.

Plugsy

I doubt if Wenger will get either. Doesn't seem his thing to spend top-dollar on top-class players. They'll most likely sign some unknown 17 year old from Lithuania or something

Ace of Spades

If that happens I will fecking explode
FFS, read the article. Sensational headline aside, the article itself states that Wenger will probably not pay the kind of money that Juve will want, and that he will go for cheaper options. Then throws a bunch of names around.

Also, they want a replacement for Arteta, a player who will play holding mid for them, which Vidal is not.

Plugsy

Ozil cost them 42 million.
They released something like 20 odd players too though, so saved a heck of a lot in wages they could have contributed plus got £10m in fees. I could maybe see them going after one but certainly not both. Besides wasn't Ozil done after the CL qualifiers? I'd have doubts as to whether they'd want to invest £70m or there abouts, before knowing if they've made it into the CL proper and think there are enough suitors for neither player to have to wait to see.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Well man - you have my respect anyway. It could have been worse i guess.

Sure, the Irish folk on here thought i was a Loyalist Paramilitary at first ffs - "Red Hand Commando's" aka UVF, type of shite. Then i had to draw a picture of what my name means:

"Red Hand" - Country Tyrone (Norn Iron)

"Devil" - United (Red Devil)

Have to say, when you think about United & our deep-roots to Catholicism - yet we have "Red Devils" as our nickname. Friggin bizarre. Friggin class nickname though eh?!

Oh & if you want any advice on girl-friend trouble - i'm yer man Tim. Shame i'm feckin useless takin my own advice though. If i was married once - i'd be divorced twice.

Best advice i can give ya - if yer woman asks you how she looks, say she looks "fantastic" & in yer head follow it up by saying: "fantastic... but i'd love to bang your older Sister instead.." Carry it off with a smug head-nod & she'll think she's gonna get it later, but all the while you'll be thinkin of her Sis. Thats how us blokes keep the fires burning in a relationship - picture someone else & preferably not an animal either...

Back to main topic - Vidal. It doesnt get any better than that fella. We've been crying out for a Keano replacement since before he left for Christ sake & Vidal is the dream signing for us.

If we sign him - i hope you know that your lady is gonna be picturing him instead of you - so get yer own back dude.. ;)
You lost me a few times but I got the general gist of it I believe. I think I will wait till after we sign him before searching for a lady.. probably a couple of months because I will be wanking furiously in a post-Vidal signing daze of glory.

Long as you don't regularly bust out the "Come on Tim" we will get along swimmingly...

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
That's over 37.000 posts, over 1.300 per day, over 55 per hour. Impossible!
Well.. If we get a few interesting updates (the kind that sends this place into a frenzy) along the way yet we keep getting strung along till July 31st it could be a mammoth thread. But yeah, 1000 is a little far fetched huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.