Ashes I - 2013 - In England

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Snicko will be in the winter series in Australia when it goes real-time which it isn't right now

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Well DRS showed he obviously didn't hit it, can't blame the technology. I mean pretty much every single person realised it was not out, not sure how the umpire was that 0.1% of people who thought it was somehow out. Never seen this sort of incompetence before this series with DRS (allowing for the odd poor decision mainly with run outs), it'd be more understandable when it first came in, but it was a pretty controversy free.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
They're giving decisions out that they wouldn't have if DRS wasn't around and then they don't use DRS properly. It's ridiculous.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Definitely a noise. Snicko not working properly due to the humid conditions which happens quite frequently in the sub continent due to the reverse polarity on the neutron flow.

Excellent decision.
:lol:

What an absolute embarrassment, this DRS thing is a joke.

The Aussies may be shite but they have been on the end of some absolute shockers.
Gentlemans game my arse.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I'm not sure how useful snicko will be based on that either.... random noise showing millseconds after when neither the ball or bat were near anything. That's going to cause controversy.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'm not sure how useful snicko will be based on that either.... random noise showing millseconds after when neither the ball or bat were near anything. That's going to cause controversy.
Even on Hughes in the last game.
No hot spot but a noise. The noise could be anything the old bat pad finger click, splice creaking, flicking pads and boots etc.

NinjaFletch

They're giving decisions out that they wouldn't have if DRS wasn't around and then they don't use DRS properly. It's ridiculous.
Exactly, but I think there has only been one decision in the entire series where DRS actually got it wrong and even then it was human error (Trott lbw) its just the umpires have been horrific at doing what apparently is not as simple as we all think which is actually looking at things.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
DRS has become a joke. Shocking umpiring.

NinjaFletch

Even on Hughes in the last game.
No hot spot but a noise. The noise could be anything the old bat pad finger click, splice creaking, flicking pads and boots etc.
IIRC the real time snicko is being made by the bloke who does hot spot, so its going to be a combined snicko and hotspot. Can't see that getting much wrong, if anything.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Exactly, but I think there has only been one decision in the entire series where DRS actually got it wrong and even then it was human error (Trott lbw) its just the umpires have been horrific at doing what apparently is not as simple as we all think which is actually looking at things.
Um, Hughes given out when no hot spot. Also the Steve smith catch, not drs but clearly wrong. Armchair is right. Using des to bail you out then it not getting it

Yikes feckig hell clarke

ArmchairCritic

It won't. First noise flicking the pad with bat and second bat and ground, no edge.

FlawlessThaw

There is a huge issue with the umpiring as there is only 4 umpires available for the entire series.

92 - 2, probably the Aussies morning as Rogers is still there.

Aussie PM is having a pop at the umpires now as well

ArmchairCritic

Um, Hughes given out when no hot spot. Also the Steve smith catch, not drs but clearly wrong. Armchair is right. Using des to bail you out then it not getting it

Yikes feckig hell clarke

Hughes was noise, hotspot doesn't work IMO, showed no edge for Pietersen either when Harris did him first innings. Someone posted something about players using Vaseline to stop spots showing apparently. Noise and Snicko will always be the best way for edges.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
DRS is an absolute joke. Get rid of it.
The technology is fine. It's the idiots using the technology that has been a problem this series. Some really shocking decisions from them.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It was a poor decision but hotspot is rubbish in any case. If they can somehow get snicko to work immediately then use that or else don't use DRS with nicks

NinjaFletch

Yikes feckig hell clarke
Hughes was given out on the field, and there was a noise when it went past the bat, a deviation and snicko confirmed it. It was a bad review, not a bad DRS decision. Steve Smith was umpire error, again.

The system has given the umpires the tools to get every decision in this test match right, they've just been used wrong.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Hughes was noise, hotspot doesn't work IMO, showed no edge for Pietersen either when Harris did him first innings. Someone posted something about players using Vaseline to stop spots showing apparently. Noise and Snicko will always be the best way for edges.
Snicko not in real Tim doesn't work either. Plus like I said you can get all sorts of noises that sound like an edge, for me hot spot has more credibility.

ArmchairCritic

Snicko not in real Tim doesn't work either. Plus like I said you can get all sorts of noises that sound like an edge, for me hot spot has more credibility.

Snicko's always been the best for edges, naked eye+snicko works. Snicko's synced anyway nowadays I think. It was clear from Snicko he flicked the pad early doors and that as the ball passed the bat there was no edge.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
If you go back and review snickothen sure why not but
I still think there are too many variable noises. I'm not the first
One to be given out hitting my pad. L

NinjaFletch

Truth be told, I honestly have no idea why we're talking about DRS right now.

DRS didn't get that decision wrong.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
It won't. First noise flicking the pad with bat and second bat and ground, no edge.

Just showed it again and the bat is nowhere near the ground.... When it showed the second time the bat was past the body and the ball wasn't near anything either.

ArmchairCritic

Just showed it again and the bat is nowhere near the ground.... When it showed the second time the bat was past the body and the ball wasn't near anything either.

It's clear from that still that he hasn't edged it, nothing controversial really. First noise is pad, no noise past bat, end of discussion there.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
It's clear from that still that he hasn't edged it, nothing controversial really. First noise is pad, no noise past bat, end of discussion there.

You've completely missed the point. If random noise shows on snickometer, as it clearly did then, then (the second time) what happens if it showed a millisecond early and made it look like the bat did hit the ball? The second noise that showed when they did it initially clearly wasn't bat or ball. There's too much opportunity for false positives.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I hate quotes like this (from the BBC):

"Feel sorry for Chris Rogers, his great innings so far has been totally overshadowed by the Khawaja review debacle. Hope he goes on to make his ton now."
Why would any Englishman hope Rogers makes a ton? :lol:

FlawlessThaw

To be fair I hope Rogers makes a ton as well. He has played well, plus his place in the team is under pressure undeservedly.

Obviously want England to win but cricket is a sport where you sometimes want individuals to do well, for both your own and the other team.

shaggy

To be fair I hope Rogers makes a ton as well. He has played well, plus his place in the team is under pressure undeservedly.

Obviously want England to win but cricket is a sport where you sometimes want individuals to do well, for both your own and the other team.
So what? It's like saying you hope Torres gets back to his best and scores 30+ goals next season, even though that would make it harder for us to win the league.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
So what? It's like saying you hope Torres gets back to his best and scores 30+ goals next season, even though that would make it harder for us to win the league.
But if he does and we still win the league it's not fecked if you're happy for the guy.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Eesh he's missed another rank long hop.

Then fecking smokes a just short of a length ball through the covers exquisite lay with relative
Ease :lol:

shaggy

But if he does and we still win the league it's not fecked if you're happy for the guy.

There's a difference being happy for someone and appreciating their efforts/talent and hoping someone does well. I'm sure you appreciated Bell's ton in the first test but when you were watching were you hoping he reached it?