Ashes I - 2013 - In England

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Aside from their pathetic batting, the Aussies' use of DRS is also an embarrassment.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England will win this with a +-400 margin. Got my prediction totally wrong!

Thats a hammering in test cricket. the sort even the likes of Bangladesh or Zimbabwe don't often get afflicted by.

So I guess that the question ... just how bad is this Australia team?

ha_rooney

Isn't Warner available for the next Test?

If he is, maybe he opens and Watson comes down the order. Hughes coming in before Clarke is a joke.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Isn't Warner available for the next Test?

If he is, maybe he opens and Watson comes down the order. Hughes coming in before Clarke is a joke.
Will need to do better than the single figures he got against zimbabwe 2nd xi. His best contribution would have been if he had actually knocked Root out.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Can't see this lasting now. Shame really because while I love hammering the Aussies, I love listening to cricket a little bit more. It would have been nice for them to at least take this to the 5th day. I don't see this series being as tight as it was at Trent Bridge again.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
England will win this with a +-400 margin. Got my prediction totally wrong!

Thats a hammering in test cricket. the sort even the likes of Bangladesh or Zimbabwe don't often get afflicted by.

So I guess that the question ... just how bad is this Australia team?
It is a stark contrast when you consider how England seemed to philander against New Zealand just a few months ago.

ha_rooney

Will need to do better than the single figures he got against zimbabwe 2nd xi. His best contribution would have been if he had actually knocked Root out.
17 runs against Zimbabwe is hardly promising either.

Fair enough. Not much else they can do with their batting unless they bring Cowan back, but he looked clueless in the first Test.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It'd be a shame if Aus can't score in two innings, what England scored in one.
They wont get anywhere close. Its a complete sham. And I dont see how tey can take any positives.

England can still expect major contributions from Cook, Trott, Pieterson, Prior with the bat and Broad, Bresnan and Finn with the ball. Im sure Bell, Root, Swann and Anderson will continue too.

On the other hand, aside from a ton or two from Clarke, I cant see any form from Australia, esp with England friendly venues like Headingly and Oval to come.

ha_rooney

I did consider him (and unless I'm mistaken, he recently scored a century for his county) but at 37 maybe he's a bit old? Then again, they do have Rodgers at 35 and they need to do something to make this series somewhat competitive.

zing

Zingle balls
Katich has given an interview saying he's available for selection. Hodge gave an interview earlier this year saying the same.

Inverarity must be seriously considering these options.

Steven Smith is not a test cricketer, as much as his attitude is to be admired.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fair enough. Not much else they can do with their batting unless they bring Cowan back, but he looked clueless in the first Test.
Nah, the cupboard is bare. They are destined for this this sort of hammering for at least the next 2 to 3 years.

England, India and South Africa have great youngsters coming through, Pakistan, New Zealand and Sri Lanka still have some classy players.

I put Australia towards the bottom of the 2nd bracket of teams.

zing

Zingle balls
Thing is, England are playing at 70% of their actual level. Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Prior haven't done anything of note.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I did consider him (and unless I'm mistaken, he recently scored a century for his county) but at 37 maybe he's a bit old? Then again, they do have Rodgers at 35 and they need to do something to make this series somewhat competitive.

Where's Shaun Marsh? He's always looked decent to me when I've seen him. Also George Bailey showed a lot of application early on the Champions Trophy. Phil Jacques and Adam Voges are two other guys who have a fair bit of country experience too.

OB

I feel sorry for Agar. Surely not enough evidence to overturn it. If you are trusting hotspot, trust it completely, or don't include it in DRS. Didn't look out to me

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Still, 128 all out and 154-7 in a Lords test match..... you cant dress it up any other way.

Its amateur stuff. Scotland and Netherland would do better.

ArmchairCritic

:lol: What's Holding on about, he's nicked it very slightly. However how can you overturn that and not say LBW's which just flick the stumps but aren't given out?

ha_rooney

That's a very poor decision to overturn it.

The umpires so far have all had shocking decisions. Worst of all, these 4 clowns will be umpiring all 10 matches!

ArmchairCritic

I agree with Holding on one thing though, nothing wrong with the system just the people using it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I feel sorry for Agar. Surely not enough evidence to overturn it. If you are trusting hotspot, trust it completely, or don't include it in DRS. Didn't look out to me
I agree, DRS is meant to overturn OBVIOUS errors. This was very marginal and the DRS technology evidence was by no means conclusive.

I think the officials need to sit down with umpires and captains and restate the purpose and value of DRS which is it is meant to eliminate obvious human error AND NOT VERY MARGINAL CALLS which can still be argued either way, after DRS reviews.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
This series has been a disastrous advertisement of DRS. HotSpot as well seems too unreliable. If Snicko is providing better evidence in such close calls, then surely that should be the one used.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah not a fan of hotspot, I think Pietersen's dismissal first innings to Harris didn't show up on it even though it was quite clear.

zing

Zingle balls
This series has been a disastrous advertisement of DRS. HotSpot as well seems too unreliable. If Snicko is providing better evidence in such close calls, then surely that should be the one used.
There's a delay in generating audio for snicko.