Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

He's received grief the moment he signed but he's been a decent servant for the club. Even at times when we've played like trash he's always given 110%. Maybe if he was foreign he'd be given more respect I don't understand the negativity either
Really?

He was signed for big money at the time as an attacker and has spent most of his time here as little more than a squad player before eventually becoming a back up full back. Obviously he likes the club, puts in a shift, and all that, but he fell a long way short of what was expected of him when he was signed.

I don't really care if he wants to stick around to play a few games here and there as a sub, but virtually no player will go through an experience like Young has had here and be particularly fondly remembered, and neither should they.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
His crossing is better from the right. In many ways I prefer him to Valencia but he's nowhere near him defensively.
I definitely do. Think he'd be more useful over a season. Valencia just fills the spot well and does a few knock and runs and people say he's a 'beast'.

Before anyone says, I've always rated Young more than most here

marktan

Been very impressed with him today, one of our best players. Young seldom ever plays badly when he does play.

Based on today's performance might be a good idea to give him some games in the league if Valencia continues to struggle to create. Young can provide width the way Valencia can, but his crossing is far superior to Valencia's. He can also cut inside and use his left very well so gives us a solid option. I'd even consider playing Young as the RW instead of Mata as he can actually provide some pace and run at defences. Not ideal, but a different and in my opinion superior option to Mata.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Young really needs to be given a chance more regularly at left back or right back for us.

Ban

Very good game. Nice cross for a goal and all in all he rolled back the years. :)

Minimalist

I usually can't stand seeing him but he was very good tonight - hell he was much better than Valencia in the final third.

Kapardin

Hope he's as solid as Valencia defensively. That will determine if he can start over the latter. Teams in the league will test him more than Basel.

He does have a better cross in him though.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Very impressive today. Much better than I (and I'm sure many others) were expecting when we saw his name on the team sheet.

el3mel

Much better than anything Valencia has done this season so far. He can stole Valencia position in the main lineup if Valencia didn't get to his full form.

Great we have a competition in this position much better than having Darmian competing with Valencia tbh.

Dante

Average bang
Young at leftback and Valencia at rightback will transform us as a team. Stick Martial and Rashers in front of them, and you'll have the right recipe to get the best out of all 4 players.

Hojoon

Really professional game from a player who hasn't played a single minute so far, great cross for Fellaini.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Another in a long line of good fullback performances. Never really let us down there.
Agreed. Hes far behind Valencia in terms of pace and power, but is much more clever in his play and has a much better cross on him. Maybe he deserves a couple of starts in the league? Seeing Tony blasting into the shin of the first defender is getting quite old

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Good performance- was hungry and trying to make things happen. Was getting annoyed that he kept failing to beat his man, but then he pulled out that cross. Solid all round and useful squad player.

van Nistelrooy

Proved me wrong tonight. Very decent performance and that crossing in the first half was excellent.

If he continues that form at right-back when he gets the opportunity, then he should easily knock Valencia off his perch at last.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Solid game tonight, had plenty of important moments both defensively and offensively. Couldn't be happier for a player who always gives his best when given the chance, always ready great character to have in our squad.

::sonny::

Ashley "fecking Cafu" Young

A glad surprise, saved Lindelof mistakes a lot of times

Sylar

I do think hes one of our best crosses. He gets good whip on it. Also shows what a difference a good cross would make to our team. (wish Valencia could whip a cross in like Young can).

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he's underrated, not just by the fans but the coaching staff too. He's a reliable player, always works his ass off and has a great cross on him. I hope he gets games at LB with Valencia at RB, they would give us good width and pace.

Paul_Scholes18

Very good game from him. He is a really good fullback/wingback when in form. Remember the LVG first season where he was arguably our player of the season (at least outfield player). He can usually be relied on. Crossing can be inconsistent, but at least he normally puts them into dangerous areas. Really glad he is back.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
After Fellaini, he was our best player. What was great to see is that he still has the pace to take players on. Wouldn't mind seeing him again at RB. Got a really nice cross on him.

DocRockter

Much more captain material than Pogba, should had worn the armband from the start.. Good performance but more is needed and his fitness is also an issue.

Mr Smith

Great first performance of the season. Makes me feel a lot better about our fullback options; I'd be a lot less worried now if for example, Valencia got injured.

automaticflare

A decent cross from our full back!
Thought Ashley played well tonight, not much of a test defensively mind

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Besides Blind and Darmian, for defensive nous, Shaw has still another player to beat for the attacking leftback spot. Come 3-5-2 against tough opponents, the leftwingback position will be Young's, for sure.

el3mel

Besides Blind and Darmian, for defensive nous, Shaw has still another player to beat for the attacking leftback spot. Come 3-5-2 against tough opponents, the leftwingback position will be Young's, for sure.
Isn't his preferred foot the right one ? I think he crosses and shoots mostly with it, so I believe he's much better as right back more than at the left, since his right foot will always be the outside one giving him much better opportunities to cross. He was a left winger before, I know, but this helped at this time to have his right foot to inside the pitch so he can always cut inside and shoot with it. He won't need to do that as a right back, will just need to create width and cross, so better having his preferred foot to the outside of the pitch.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
Really?

He was signed for big money at the time as an attacker and has spent most of his time here as little more than a squad player before eventually becoming a back up full back. Obviously he likes the club, puts in a shift, and all that, but he fell a long way short of what was expected of him when he was signed.

I don't really care if he wants to stick around to play a few games here and there as a sub, but virtually no player will go through an experience like Young has had here and be particularly fondly remembered, and neither should they.
17 million is not a big fee and even though he was on the last year of his contract it still wasn't 20 million like we paid for someone like Anderson for example who never did anything but collect a paycheck and get fat and produce shit performance after shit performance while at the club yet got as much leeway from utd fans as anyone ever will. I'm not saying he's had a great stint with us but he's been a decent squad player since joining. Not every player you buy will be a world beater

Reactions: KM

BigBebe

Proved me wrong tonight. Very decent performance and that crossing in the first half was excellent.

If he continues that form at right-back when he gets the opportunity, then he should easily knock Valencia off his perch at last.
Me too. If he plays like that, he could be a better option than Valencia against weaker teams because of his willingness to run towards the byline and get crosses in.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is a huge difference in how he crosses the ball and Valencia does, Young gives a proper whip whereas Valencia just floats it, so even if the attacker heads it he should do lot more to score.

Happy for Young, came back and played well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's been playing well at full back for ages now, never really lets us down when he's put there.

Status
Not open for further replies.