Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Luke Shaw needs three matches to get match fit whilst Young needed just one and got through the 90 minutes quite comfortably. Shaw's fitness really is exceptionally poor and Young's really is good.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Played really well, cares about the club and always gives his all. Must be a managers dream as will play wherever asked.

Great assist for the felli goal too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Young is a player who tries to pick out his teammates when crossing and that makes a bit of a difference. He always gives 100% so it's nice to know we can rely on him.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He did very well last night. Gives his all and i think he can also offer goals which is a major asset for a fullback. If he can master his defensive tasks as well he should start.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Luke Shaw needs three matches to get match fit whilst Young needed just one and got through the 90 minutes quite comfortably. Shaw's fitness really is exceptionally poor and Young's really is good.
You couldn't tell who's 32 and who's 21 between the two of them. :lol:

drdoityourself

There is a lot of revisionism in this thread. More often than not he's been a poor crosser for us. Lofted balls drifting behind the far post.

However he was good yesterday and his crossing was good. So a very good start for the season for him.

Havak

Pokemon master
Did extremely well considering it was his first game back. I didn't expect him to play until the Burton game, but having him as a reasonable back-up to Valencia will help us a great deal. Hoping to see him play against Burton with the same CBs and Shaw coming back in.

LoneStar

Just saw that he had some 115 touches of the ball, the most in our team. He defended well too. Just goes to show how a fb who can whip in a cross can change this team a lot. We now have a reliable option in him to play games against lower opposition and also when Valencia needs rest.

TheForgottenOne

Young at leftback and Valencia at rightback will transform us as a team. Stick Martial and Rashers in front of them, and you'll have the right recipe to get the best out of all 4 players.
I actually got annoyed with Young countless times in the past years. Skips his man on the left, only to have to cut it back to whip it in with his right. Never understood why we did not give him more games from the right, where his can skip his man and just cross right away.

This goes the same for Rashford and Martial though. Could do with more chances playing from the right. Would love to see a game with those 2 on the flanks.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If he continues playing like that, we might survive the season without a proper Valencia back up

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
People dump on him because he's not Ronaldo or Neymar but he works hard, bit part player with commitment and can actually play football. Him over Darmian for me.

Ciddy

He needs to pull most of our squad to one side and teach them how to cross. Never understood why we seemingly stopped crossing the ball when we have a team the size that we do. Lukaku loves a headed goal and most of the squads crossing ability is quite frankly embarrassing.

Bestietom

Young can play any side and also play as a winger. He would be a great asset on the wing, as his crossing would suit Lukaku and others.
He would be Ideal to bring on as sub if things were not going our way. We could do with is trickery and crossing up front.

Robertd0803

Thought he was very good last night. Was a bit worried when I saw him named at RB but he didnt have much defending to do.

Needham

The fact that Ashley Young can thrive at right back in any game says something telling about the modern game. What a joke

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The fact that Ashley Young can thrive at right back in any game says something telling about the modern game. What a joke
I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he looked far more aggressive, decisive and effective defensively than Lindelöf. If I hadn't known either of them and asked to pick the midfielder playing in defence, I wouldn't have chosen Young. He was brilliant which is only made better by the fact that he hasn't played for months.

Sigma

I think he should be above Lingard in the pecking order on the wings. He would offer us more than Lingard does I feel.

Icemav

Many, including myself, complain that we dont have a right wing back who can whip in a decent cross... and suddenly Young appears from the depths of our squad and delivers an absolute beauty!

Problem solved? Or will he never be seen again?

Valencia is a lad but he has had 1000 chances to bend one in... and he cant.

MeUnited

Always been unfairly treated by United fans compared to Valencia. Neither of them would be a starter in your ideal Man Utd team, but Young is so much better than Valencia for me. Just a much better crosser, playing him on the left and he can still bend some in the far corner too. Valencia has been incredibly average for years now, basically since like 2012. Young can cross, can beat a man, can defend reasonably well if called upon. I think a lot of the negative press comes from his diving rather than what he actually does with the ball.

fellaini's barber

Whenever our average players have a decent game its 'he works hard, he gives his all, I don't get the hate', till he inevitably has another shit performance then its back to 'what is he still doing here, he's shit' etc. We need to make our minds up, is he shit or not?

RedDevil@84

Whenever our average players have a decent game its 'he works hard, he gives his all, I don't get the hate', till he inevitably has another shit performance then its back to 'what is he still doing here, he's shit' etc. We need to make our minds up, is he shit or not?
What is he doing here is a moot question. Clearly the club/manager see him as a useful resource or a resource more useful staying around rather than being sold.

He is not shit. He is a squad player and while he is available, we are making use of him as a squad player. Just like any other player, if he starts continuously being awesome, he ll get picked by the manager. It is up to the regular players to keep their spots and not get it taken over by Young or Fellaini or anyone else.

There is no point having reserved spots for anyone in the team.

PS: There is a myth that top teams (or teams aiming for top trophies) never have average players in the "squad". It is just that the regulars keep their spots by being better than the average ones more often, even when manager's tactics change according to match and opposition.

Bobski

Young had been more than adequate for Utd in this squad role over the last few years. Played numerous positions, normally does a decent job, the type of adaptable, experienced solid pro who is a major help for a manager. Loved that spell under LVG when he was humiliating Di Maria with his performances on the LW.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Or maybe appreciate that, shock horror, players don't perform at the same level in every game they play?

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
People just need to stop being over the top about certain players. If the likes of Young or Fellaini don't put in a 9/10 performance every time they play, half the forum want them sold where as you can have players like Bailly or Pogba put in repeated 5/10 performances and it's barely mentioned.

Whenever Young has had the opportunity to play he has done very well. The same with Fellaini. Neither should be going anywhere.

Manny

Grammar Police
Didn't he do this last season too? Come in after a long spell out and put in a great performance.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Didn't he do this last season too? Come in after a long spell out and put in a great performance.
Absolutely; Young was brought in for the Chelsea game at OT, and did a solid job. He celebrated the Lukaku goal more than any of the regulars in the team; he understands that he isnt at the level to be a starter so puts in 100% when he is given a chance to play.

Shuriken

Shouldn't he get a crack at RW in front of Valencia in some matches? I know it's not as exciting as perhaps a new signing would've been, but it can work quite well and Valencia won't have to go forward as much.

Dante

Average bang
He's got fantastic delivery from the left. Imagine the space he'd get as a leftback with Rashford/Martial cutting inside.

I'd personally pick him over Valencia at rightback in the current set-up. But I think between them, they're the two best attacking fullbacks at the club. So getting them both on the pitch at the same time would be in the team's best interest.

ManuMou

What happened to Young after he started against Chelsea @ OT last season ? I remembered he had a decent game as left wing back in a 3-5-2 system.

Was he injured ?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
What happened to Young after he started against Chelsea @ OT last season ? I remembered he had a decent game as left wing back in a 3-5-2 system.

Was he injured ?
He got injured in the Celta Vigo away match a few weeks after.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'll say what I seem to say after every appearance Young makes, I do not understand why so many of our fans dislike him. He is a great squad player.

JoaquinJoaquin

He is an excellent squad player, and has been for a few years now. I find it crazy people defend the likes of Lingard to the death as a squad player, Yet always want Young sold every transfer window. Young has had twice as many good games in the last few years that Lingard has.

#CR7

Loved that spell under LVG when he was humiliating Di Maria with his performances on the LW.
Young and Fellaini were uncontrollable on that left side in that spell under LVG. IIRC it was Mou who managed to nullify that partnership by instructing Matic to man mark Fellaini. Wouldn't be against using that tactic again due to its effectiveness

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him

Was he injured ?
Not sure. He's played well pretty much every time he's been given a chance a full back or wing back but never seems to keep his place, either through injury or just being dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.