Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

Terrible. His performance was summed up by that moment near our box, where he had very simple passes available into midfield and instead decided instead to try to take on the man in front of him, fail, turn around and then hoof it upfield, right back to them.

Last edited:

Icemav

Not his best game. Cutting in on his right does seriously hamper him at times.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Only done well in the Liverpool game. Quite how he keeps Shaw out is amazing. Must be a serious arse kisser to keep starting.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He doesn't know how to start a fecking counter attack. Atleast thrice Pogba was running in front of him to start a counter attack and he fecked it up by playing a useless ball over the top. Need to sign a LB pronto.

Hephaestus

I'm not annoyed at him, he puts in maximum effort every game. But he's not a fullback at all. It took Valencia years to even get up to an ok standard and Young is too old to consider that. New LB has to be the highest priority this summer.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Only done well in the Liverpool game. Quite how he keeps Shaw out is amazing. Must be a serious arse kisser to keep starting.
Because Shaws been worse than a crap Young. Also, whilst I think Young is an awful fullback, he has the leadership qualities you need of a player.

Dante

Average bang
Sanchez and Pogba played quite high up on the left. Therefore, I didn't want Young to attack more... I wanted him to hold defensive position better. Spurs had a lot of joy where he should have been stationed.

kundalini

Poor performance but was rather isolated, with neither Sanchez nor Pogba, providing much support. Gave the ball away too much. Completed 17 out of 31 passes.

Witchking

Because Shaws been worse than a crap Young. Also, whilst I think Young is an awful fullback, he has the leadership qualities you need of a player.
He will lose his leadership qualities if he keeps giving 5/10 performance

He has been a great servant for united but he shouldn't be the primary left back for united.

el3mel

He will lose his leadership qualities if he keeps giving 5/10 performance

He has been a great servant for united but he shouldn't be the primary left back for united.
Neither him nor Shaw should be our main LB.

Minimalist

Quite funny because he's been such a surprise package this season but he was truly awful today. Really looked like a winger being made to play full-back again.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People tend to forget how good he was earlier in the season, and last season as well for that matter. During those periods he was comfortably better than any of our other fullbacks (on either side) have been for a few years.

He hasn't been very good since coming back from that suspension in the middle of the season though. He's basically been average since then, with the occasional great game and the occasional shit game. Today was one of the latter. Absolutely terrible for the first hour or so of the match. Got a little better towards the end.

Devil may care

He was dogged as he always is but got caught out on their goal and his constant cutting in when attacking clutters things up and denies us width.

R'hllor

No way Shaw can do any worse, i really think he cant. 2nd half he was on side where JM`s dugout is, wonder why JM didnt try his brain, Young`s body trick.

yardieUnited

I find it extremely shocking that he gets praised for his leadership, when he barely can track back. Jogs back when team is under pressure, points at the teammates to do his job!
When he gets the ball he just hoof it up.

roseguy64

People tend to forget how good he was earlier in the season, and last season as well for that matter. During those periods he was comfortably better than any of our other fullbacks (on either side) have been for a few years.

He hasn't been very good since coming back from that suspension in the middle of the season though. He's basically been average since then, with the occasional great game and the occasional shit game. Today was one of the latter. Absolutely terrible for the first hour or so of the match. Got a little better towards the end.
Yep. Shaw shouldn't have lost his place to him. Agree with everything here. He's put in some good performances since the suspension but it's been mostly mediocre or bad.

Ekeke

Agree, he was good and has been good in previous times as a left back. But the main difference to me compared to the very early part of the season when we were flying, is that he neglects his defensive duties. Bad at tracking back and being in position. Can still put in a great cross but not too much else.

He has made a boat load of individual mistakes with his positioning this season that led to goals against us.

Canagel

He is laughably bad at LB. And the same with Valencia at RB. But we continue to win games. Imagine the potential of this team when they are finally replaced...

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Watching match of the day. Where the hell was young for the goal
He was pressing the fullback to prevent them playing out from the back, that was his tactical role. Pogba switched off for the long ball to Eriksen.

dove

Watching match of the day. Where the hell was young for the goal
Young was quite bad today but the goal was Pogba's fault. Young went pressing and asked for Pogba to cover him but the latter just couldn't be arsed to do it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Young was quite bad today but the goal was Pogba's fault. Young went pressing and asked for Pogba to cover him but the latter just couldn't be arsed to do it.
It's not really asking, it's his tactical duty. When you press to force a long ball from the back you go fullback to fullback.

It is up to Pogba and the CB on his side to deal with that long ball. If Matic was there he would have been tight to Eriksen and cut off the cross. Pogba made up for that blunder and was fantastic for the rest of the game though.

I thought Young was very poor this game. Was really poor in dealing with the press of Spurs and resorted to long balls far too often when better positioning, anticipation and usage of his left foot would have helped massively.

arnie_ni

Shouldn't pogba be pressing and young defending Eriksson?

Match of the day didnt really show a replay so haven't seen it properly

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Shouldn't pogba be pressing and young defending Eriksson?
Generally speaking no. The fullbacks press the fullbacks, and the midfielders track the runs of midfielders. If the midfielder presses the fullback it creates a larger opening in midfield if the press fails.

dove

It's not really asking, it's his tactical duty. When you press to force a long ball from the back you go fullback to fullback.

It is up to Pogba and the CB on his side to deal with that long ball. If Matic was there he would have been tight to Eriksen and cut off the cross. Pogba made up for that blunder and was fantastic for the rest of the game though.

I thought Young was very poor this game. Was really poor in dealing with the press of Spurs and resorted to long balls far too often when better positioning, anticipation and usage of his left foot would have helped massively.
Well yes, agreed but we all know that Pogba + defensive duties don't go well together in 1 sentence :(

arnie_ni

Generally speaking no. The fullbacks press the fullbacks, and the midfielders track the runs of midfielders. If the midfielder presses the fullback it creates a larger opening in midfield if the press fails.
See i didn't even know who passed the ball to Eriksson. Just seen eriksson running through onto Jones with pog chasing him and ashley nowhere in sight

breakout67

Supports
Man City
See i didn't even know who passed the ball to Eriksson. Just seen eriksson running through onto Jones with pog chasing him and ashley nowhere in sight
Davinson Sanchez did a hopeful longball, schoolboy defending from us. Both Jones and Pogba could have easily dealt with it but were very slow to react.

AR87

Think him being right footed kills so many opportunities for him to play it forward around his man to spring Pogba on the counter. He instead tries to play some floated pass with his left foot which rarely comes off and also requires Pogba or whomever the winger he's playing it too to bring it down, face up and then go instead of just being able to run on to it.

I can understand keeping him for another year as backup, but we absolutely need to upgrade both FB positions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Disappointed in him today. Type of game he can shine in too.

The bit where he fannied about with it in our own half instead looking for a pass, seemingly looking for something better, then just booted it to their players summed up his game.

el3mel

I blame Valencia on the goal far more Young, but Young was still pretty bad in almost everything else though.

ti vu

In the end, where things went our way, he settled, but that's one bird white performance. Constantly give the ball away while went missing from his position. As if he was trying to compete with Valencia for who is the worst award

Denis79

Usually very solid for us, yesterday he had a poor game. Lost the ball easily, slowed down our counter attacks and misplaced many passes. For me he was our worst player on the pitch, closely followed by Valencia.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He annoys me whenever he receives the ball because he always has to position his body to receive it on his right foot, which means that he's always looking backwards instead of forwards. That slows our buildup. But he's always put in a shift when played, so I can't really complain. We are long overdue an upgrade at left back.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Said it before, he can't play out from the back at all. When he gets pressed in our half he just hoofs it down the line, compounded by the fact he invites pressure onto himself by always wanting it on his right foot, moving into traffic.

ravi2

Ashley young would make a great backup LB/LW but should not be starting.
Jose needs to buy 2 class full backs this summer.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really struggled yesterday. Very ponderous on the ball and got caught out of position a few times too.

Like I said in the Valencia thread, he will be 33 next season. His legs are not there anymore. Need a left back in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.