5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he crossed the ball unlike turn back tony. He’s not great, but far worse players on the pitch for us today, especially our captain - captain cautious, captain can’t cross/ won’t cross.

el3mel

His crosses are only good if Fellaini is there. Having both as our ways to score is a sign of mediocrity.

He should a bit part player next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought he turned Moses inside out today and was solid up and down.

Nothing to aim for in the box until late on, so it was all a bit too intricate

Kostov

As I already posted here, being shite against Watford gets you awarded starting place in the final. Offered nothing in attack and lucky not to give away a penalty.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Sign a LB and get him to RB if we don't sign a RB.

He was alright but i wish he'd learn to cross with his left foot, and there's little point in crossing anyway when Lukaku and Fellaini aren't there.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
I'm really not sure whether I love or loath him. He just doesn't go down the left side and cross with his left foot enough. As a team we are dreadfully slow as it is and when he adds a drag back to the mix it just gives.the opposition more time to get set. Good squad player, but we should have better.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rubbish today, it’s okay beating a man and getting in a position to cross, but if your crossing is shit on a stick it’s a pointless exercise.

Bojan11

The way I see Young is, he's likely to make a mistake that puts us a goal down but can also sometimes put in a cross that helps us cancel that goal out. But sometimes its hard to see the point of that. If you have an attack minded defender who leaves you vulnerable then surely the point is for them to be super productive where they are setting up 2 goals for each 1 they make a mistake for. Thats Dani Alves, not Ashley Young
Sometimes put a cross? You are very kind to him.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Unbelievable to me that this guy is still here and basically an automatic starter. TBF, he hasn't been completely awful for us but we can do so much better than this. Was listening to Neil Custis on Sunday Supplement and he said he should go with England and he mentioned his deadly crosses from out wide as one of the reasons :houllier:

No idea what the feck he's been watching. He does the same fecking thing all the time. A shite, high lofted ball to the back post with no pace on it. Or, even worse, hits it straight out for a goal kick.

El Zoido

It’s really annoying how he constantly cuts back to cross on his right foot.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
It’s really annoying how he constantly cuts back to cross on his right foot.
It's also easier to defend against right footed crosses from the left. They tend not to end up being whipped into the gap between defenders and goalkeeper.

In Rainbows

He's a better crosser than Shaw, but what I don't like about him is that he becomes a one man show out on the wing compared to Shaw who is better at combining with his teammates.

Andersons Dietician

There was a point in the game where I think Martial played him through and he had an absolute age to pick out a cross. The box wasn’t packed and we had people there who could attack the space and ball if he just stuck it in on his left. He cut it back and that was it, the chance had gone. There is at least 2 incidents like this in every game he plays and it’s annoying.
Reasons like this are why Shaw gets so heralded and people asking for him to play. Heck even Darmian last year or the year before put in better crosses from the left on his left than Young does.

RMD83

Had a decent game yesterday to finish off quite a remarkable season (for him not the club in general). A real renaissance at the end of his career. Well deserving of the World Cup squad and has arguably been the best LB in the league. Fair play to him.

Backrow Singer

If we’re classing his performance yesterday as a “decent game”, I think it’s time we gave up to be honest. Maybe it’s just me, maybe I was watching a different game. What I saw was a bloke who’s function in the team is to provide width and energy on that left side and he delivered one decent cross in 90 + mins of football. His delivery was awful all game. Yes, you can say that was because Chelsea outnumbered us centrally, yes you can say that they saw it coming but ultimately we needed better deliveries into the box and he’s a influential part of that.

We need to find more cutting edge as a team and as a wing back/attacking full back, again, he’s a part of that. He never looks up either, players pull away from there markers to come short and he still lofts poor crosses in anyway.

He’s had a decent season at times and I hope he has a great World Cup but he was really, really poor yesterday IMO.

starman

Why is he not on corner duty. Hes the best crossing in the team and yet its left to Rashford and Sanchez who are incapable of beating the first man

Would also like to see him on the right, its tiresome seeing Valencia constantly hesitate instead of hitting a first time cross

Mickfoley

I absolutely love him. He's done an excellent job throughout the season. He has been reliable in a sense that he has put his injury woes behind. Consistently performs at an above average level.
He gets caught out of position like every other fullback that has ever played football, ridiculous.
He is a very good crosser and a very good passer. He still can run with the ball although I agree his hopeless twists and turns are indeed frustrating but he ends up keeping the ball and hit the cross that way.
He wasn't supposed to play left back all season if not for Shaw's lack of effort.
I would like to see him on the right wing next season on a rotating role when we'll probably have new fullbacks.
Plus, he's very underrated at set pieces.

Based Adnan

Looking like our most dangerous player so far in the England game. Think he'll be first choice and play a big part (for better or worse) at the World Cup.

Bobski

Looking like our most dangerous player so far in the England game. Think he'll be first choice and play a big part (for better or worse) at the World Cup.
Looks good in attack when in a system that encourages him to do so. The idea that simply replacing Valencia and Young will automatically upgrade our attacking play is simplistic, Mourinho will also have to loosen the shackles on them, allow the full backs more freedom to attack. Not likely given his history with full backs and watching him micro manage Shaw.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wouldn't say he was our most dangerous. He was ok. Thing is, when playing down the left, he often needs to cut back onto his right, which often slows down the move.

Defensively, he was caught out quite often, especially in the second half. Looked like he didn't know when to press, drop, etc. Rose coming on really solidified it.

Next year, I can imagine he will continue to play a pivotal part in the season, though.

Mourinho suggested he would play around 50 games next season, which to me is a bit worrying, as it could mean Jose not bringing in a left back. It could also mean that we buy a left back and rotate Valencia, Young and Left Back, as Young can play both flanks - similar to what City did with Walker, Delph and Danilo.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Always did think Young looked stronger in a 3-5-2 as a wingback than a flat 4 man defence system. His form for us dipped when we were playing with the latter.

I think he'll have a strong tournament with Trippier on the other flank.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I thought that was a given? Rose hasn't played much, Young has and he's a better wing back than he is a full back.

M Bison

Supports
York City
99% of our fans say we need a new LB but in fairness to Young, he does a very good job and has looked decent tonight.

Hansa

Wish I had stuck a tenner on him playing left back for England in the 2018 World Cup, back in 2012-ish when he was mostly seen as a failure for us.

JohnnyLaw

99% of our fans say we need a new LB but in fairness to Young, he does a very good job and has looked decent tonight.
I really don't think he has, should be adding alot more offensively in his wing-back role. Hard to believe he and Rose are the only LBs who travelled for England. Surely the likes of Cresswell or Chilwell should be able to add more?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We are going to regret not signing a left back this summer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone that thinks he's good enough as a starting LB going forward needs their heads checked.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Lost track of the number of balls he's lost this match against Tunisia. Surely there's someone on the market better than he is atm...

drdoityourself

Almost never gets to the byline, he's inclined to go backwards as he's right footed.

Not clever enough when he's defending high up the pitch, always fouls when just keeping pressure is better.

Always the first player to give his opinion to the referee, something I don't like seeing.

I cannot understate how important it is we upgrade this position immediately, he's wildly frustrating to watch and tactically he makes the pitch smaller, when his position should offer the exact opposite.

el3mel

He did well the first half but second half was the same old Young.

Gonna be mental if he's our main LB this summer. I'm sure we're not that stupid and we'll sign someone.

Canagel

I'm not sure what he's so good at that makes him the starting LB for England in a World Cup match. He also lacks intelligence imo. Why do you need to jump into tackles and commit fouls in safe areas? Just close the angle and wait for the player to kick long before building another attack. It helps keep the flow of the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.