Ashley Young | now of Everton

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I mean it's like Liverpool fans reminiscing about Welsh Xavi - Joe Allen. I really don't even wanna remember about those days and some of those players. Same way I despise the Rooney of old but worship the young Rooney.
Not every player has to be great to be a **** hero or looked back on fondly. Despise and worship again are quite strong emotions. Do you know why you seem to swing so intensely between both ends of the spectrum?

Herman Toothrot

Not every player has to be great to be a **** hero or looked back on fondly. Despise and worship again are quite strong emotions. Do you know why you seem to swing so intensely between both ends of the spectrum?
Don't feed the troll.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I mean if everyone got rid of mediocrity without considering the little things they offer, some people might not be here right now.

Trouserjazz

The bird shitting in his mouth was probably in my top 5 post Fergie moments for a long time. Which is both a tribute to how shit we've been and how much I hated him. He wasn't even close to being as good as Nani or Valencia at their best and the money would have been better spent on an up and coming winger.

I mellowed towards him at the end, he was really good the year Di Maria decided he wasn't having it and then put in some good performances as a full back in his last few years.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I mean it's like Liverpool fans reminiscing about Welsh Xavi - Joe Allen. I really don't even wanna remember about those days and some of those players. Same way I despise the Rooney of old but worship the young Rooney.
Ashley Young

Premier League: 2012–13
FA Cup: 2015–16
EFL Cup: 2016–17
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
Serie A: 2020–21

Joe Allen

feck all.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Ashley Young

Premier League: 2012–13
FA Cup: 2015–16
EFL Cup: 2016–17
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17
Serie A: 2020–21

Joe Allen

feck all.
And he played a major role in those trophies right? Like being a key player?
Young barely contributed to our last title win - barely.
It's like me waxing lyrical about John O'shea. I mean just look at his trophy locker room.

DOTA

He's having a go at John O'Shea now...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Who’s creating drama? I’m just calling it what it is; unprofessional.
I mean saying it was an unprofessional exit is saying there was some sort of drama at the time - when there really wasn't.

Anthony - that was an unprofessional exit... Young was a fairly routine "man leaves football club" type thing.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
And he played a major role in those trophies right? Like being a key player?
Young barely contributed to our last title win - barely.
It's like me waxing lyrical about John O'shea. I mean just look at his trophy locker room.
O'Shea was a great servant to the club. Such a versatile player. Megged Figo. Played in goal. Scored iconic goals. No team has ever had 22 world class players. Not all players in a squad can be a key player. Every winning squad needs important squad players. You know like Young & O'Shea.

GifLord

O'Shea was a great servant to the club. Such a versatile player. Megged Figo. Played in goal. Scored iconic goals. No team has ever had 22 world class players.
Yeah but he was a backup player not a supposed key player who regressed so badly that he couldn't even play as winger anymore at 28 because he couldn't cross nor beat the oppo defender.

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah but he was a backup player not a supposed key player who regressed so badly that he couldn't even play as winger anymore at 28 because he couldn't cross nor beat the oppo defender.
Who said Young was supposed to be a key player? He is not the only player who has changed positions during their career.

You're the one who brought up Sheasy.

GifLord

Who said Young was supposed to be a key player? He is not the only player who has changed positions during their career.

You're the one who brought up Sheasy.
We signed him as a key player at the time. We even gave him 5 year contract worth 120k a week.

HarryP

I don't see why anyone would have a personal gripe with him. As others have said, it wasn't his fault he was given the massive contract he was and he behaved professionally for the most part.

But I strongly disagree with those who assign a greater value to his contribution than was the case. If you want to look at what a successful winger looks like, then see the levels Hazard, Mahrez, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Foden, Mane, Saka etc. managed to reach in the PL.

Young never reached those kind of levels and was in many ways an epitome of the averageness of our squad. I find it sort of bizarre that some look back fondly on him but then I guess that's just the manifestation of the erosion of standards that we suffered.

GlasgowCeltic

the FB/WB switch has added 4-5 years to his career at the top level and given him trophies and a WC semi final, all respect to him

OL29

I mean saying it was an unprofessional exit is saying there was some sort of drama at the time - when there really wasn't.

Anthony - that was an unprofessional exit... Young was a fairly routine "man leaves football club" type thing.
Just 24 hours after a meeting with boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer over his future, Young marched off the training pitch and went into the gym to work on his own.

As a result, Young was axed from last Saturday’s squad for the 4-0 win over Norwich and then also left out of Wednesday’s FA Cup victory over Wolves.
On what planet is that a routine way to leave the club? Like I said, it didn’t really bother me then and it doesn’t bother me now as he was way past it but I don’t see the need to revise history, we can call it out for what it was.

top1whoisman

Scout
I don't see why anyone would have a personal gripe with him. As others have said, it wasn't his fault he was given the massive contract he was and he behaved professionally for the most part.

But I strongly disagree with those who assign a greater value to his contribution than was the case. If you want to look at what a successful winger looks like, then see the levels Hazard, Mahrez, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Foden, Mane, Saka etc. managed to reach in the PL.

Young never reached those kind of levels and was in many ways an epitome of the averageness of our squad. I find it sort of bizarre that some look back fondly on him but then I guess that's just the manifestation of the erosion of standards that we suffered.
I'm sure there are plenty of players from our teams in the 80s that our fans have fond memories of and consider important parts of those squads. Not every player can be a world beater and not every team can be successful. Doesn't mean that players from those less successful squads are not part of our history.

I for example liked Herrera, Cavani and Blind despite them not being "successful".

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
On what planet is that a routine way to leave the club? Like I said, it didn’t really bother me then and it doesn’t bother me now as he was way past it but I don’t see the need to revise history, we can call it out for what it was.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...nsfer-news/man-utd-news-ashley-young-17552591

Ole said he wasn't fit to play - and even if thats a lie, it was a club decision for him not to be involved in the games, not Young going on strike. He said he wanted to leave the club - nothing wrong with that - and so wasn't involved in games until it was sorted out - again, fairly sensible stuff.

Also "marched off the training pitch and went into the gym to work on his own" could literally just have been what happens at the end of training. Hardly going to work in the gym with someone else are you?

DOTA

I find it sort of bizarre that some look back fondly on him but then I guess that's just the manifestation of the erosion of standards that we suffered.
Catch me in the right mood and I'll look back fondly on Darron Gibson.

GifLord

And you hate him because he only became a valuable squad player instead of a key player?
I hate mediocre players and this club was full of them in the past 10 years.
We weren't shit just because of managers alone some of these players also played a major role in our downfall.

stevoc

Doing a lot better? Just a few days ago we got destroyed by a Sevilla team that's been closer to bottom 6 than top 6. Over a month ago Liverpool who might not even be playing in UCL absolutely destroyed us with one of our worst defeats ever.
We've barely scored goals in the league and are reliant on 1 player being in form to produce miracles - scored less goals than last season after 30 rounds . So how are we doing much better? It's almost the exact same thing as under Ole. If we don't get proper players in the summer next season is gonna be another shitshow.
Focusing only on negative results is probably why you're so angry mate.

Would you agree we are doing better than last season yes?

top1whoisman

Scout
I hate mediocre players and this club was full of them in the past 10 years.
We weren't shit just because of managers alone some of these players also played a major role in our downfall.
Okay, keep on hating. I agree the players are very much responsible just as much as the managers. Above all I'd still direct the blame to those who made the decisions to hire those managers and sign those players. Guess I'm a bit weird as I don't hate players who were not very good or world class. As long as the player gives his all for the badge, I support them and appreciate their effort. I can't hate a player for not being better than they are. In general I don't hate any United players. But that's just me.

Jund

Nobody should hate on Young for not being a CR.

Also - NEVER insult John O'Shea. This guy was class! He could play every position on the pitch. The only thing he hasn't done in his career with MU is to lead the team as coach. Played all over the defense, midfield, was at least on one occasion a forward/striker and has played at goal. Let me remind you about this:

vs Arsenal and vs Tottenham

How could you hate on this guy?

GifLord

Focusing only on negative results is probably why you're so angry mate.

Would you agree we are doing better than last season yes?
We're doing almost the same as we did under Ole 2 seasons ago.
Big losses, some nice wins and that's about it.

top1whoisman

Scout
Bear in mind you’re talking with someone who went from worshipping Rooney to despising (and that’s a direct quote) him, as soon as he was past his peak.
Okay, I see. So players are not allowed to be shit, or mediocre. Only superb is acceptable. And all players should retire while they're world class. Got it.

Kag

Fair to play him to be playing at this level at his age. He’s always looked after himself.

Leave the revisionism aside, though. Young put in some of the worst attacking performances from a wide man I can ever recall at United. There were games in which he genuinely struggled to make a forward pass. He wouldn’t score and he wouldn’t assist.

He was a duffer and we were well shot of him.

stevoc

We're doing almost the same as we did under Ole 2 seasons ago.
Big losses, some nice wins and that's about it.
We had big losses even under SAF too mate, losing sometimes heavily happens.

We've struggled when players are out because while our first team is good our back-ups are mostly poor and playing so many games because we've did so well in the cups is starting to have an effect. Also having no reliable striker has been an issue all season. And yet despite recognising those issues there has still been lots of positive progress this season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A player who 2 years after we signed him couldn't beat a player, was a one trick pony and should have been sold at least 4 years earlier but instead got converted into a full back?
Oh and he ate bird shit aswell.
Yeah no.
Sancho seems on track to follow the same route then.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We won the EL, League Cup and the Charity Shield under Mourinho. That turned out well didn't it?
What's that got to do with what I was replying to?

You said

We're doing almost the same as we did under Ole 2 seasons ago. Big losses, some nice wins and that's about it.
You forgot the League Cup.

Spoony

The People's President
We won the EL, League Cup and the Charity Shield under Mourinho. That turned out well didn't it?

Are you saying history will repeat itself?like we're in some sort of perpetual time loop? Perhaps were stuck in a Lynchian world?