Gaming Assassin's Creed: Shadows

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
AC games are mindless games that I find entertaining, so I don't really share the hatred. But these idiots and their 129€ pricing will never see me purchase any of their games on release or at full price, I will wait for the 80% discount.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I remember how in Viking times they would climb giant cubes in the sky to reveal memories. Disgraceful that they would have a black samurai.

Eriku

Haven't played Assassin's Creed since the first one. Every other one looks like a rush job cash grab. Tend not to touch Ubisoft stuff for that reason.
2 and Brotherhood were both fantastic and built on the first one really well. The first one had a ridiculously limited gameplay loop that really needed fleshing out.

nimic

something nice
Scout
2 and Brotherhood were both fantastic and built on the first one really well. The first one had a ridiculously limited gameplay loop that really needed fleshing out.
Yeah, I have to admit it amused me when years later people were suddenly talking about the original Assassin's Creed as somehow pure, and how everything from then onwards was bloat - including AC2. I remember very clearly the discourse around it at the time being that it was good fun, and a great idea, but that AC2 expertly expanded on it and took it from a fun concept to a fantastic game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The reason is racism, it's that simple. People even started editing the Wikipedia article to add a Chat-GPT-esque "it's important to remember that he was never a samurai", which is a) not completely true and b) completely fecking irrelevant when you fist-fight the Pope in AC2 and George Washington has a magical Apple of Eden in AC3.
:lol:

Eriku

Yeah, I have to admit it amused me when years later people were suddenly talking about the original Assassin's Creed as somehow pure, and how everything from then onwards was bloat - including AC2. I remember very clearly the discourse around it at the time being that it was good fun, and a great idea, but that AC2 expertly expanded on it and took it from a fun concept to a fantastic game.
Exactly. The first one quickly became a chore because it was so samey, and 2 and Brotherhood were clearly better games. I’ll also fight anybody who doesn’t like Ezio as a protagonist.

Eriku

Has the best music as well.

100%

Also, one of my favourite chill-inducing video game moments was when Ezio comes across the projection of Minerva and she starts talking past him to Desmond. That shit caught me off-guard :lol:

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'll give this one a chance, but I'm in no way hyped for it. The setting is cool, and it's nice to see they are looking into how to innovate in it again, which is something they always used to try and do. The last few games have been tedious muck, though, really. Odyssey I actually put hundreds of hours into and somewhat enjoyed it for what it is, but its without doubt a pretty flawed game. Valhalla I had high hopes for, but they managed to absolutely ruin the combat which was nowhere close to Odyssey. Mirage looked absolutely awful to me, and that's as a fan of the old-style games. I just wish Ubisoft would figure out that exploration is key if you are going to make an exciting open world. Ditch the map markers and have faith in your player base that they will uncover the mysteries by themselves. Ubisoft are still fantastic at making beautiful open worlds, but they just lack any creativity in how to fill the spaces.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hell, the Ezio games even had the best trailers! Particularly Brotherhood and Revelations. The hype was incredible.

Yeh they were top class trailers! I loved AC2 and Brotherhood, just brilliant games led by one of the best protagonists in gaming.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Actually, AC has always had great trailers. I never played Unity and I've yet to give Valhalla a good try (I heard they fixed Unity eventually, so I am planning to play both of them), but they had good trailers too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The series has never clicked with me. When it first landed the concept sounded interesting and the whole cloaked protagonist walking / parkouring through streets blending in and performing looked cool. But beyond the surface level stuff, it was never a game that truly wowed me - even in its supposedly golden period. Plus the animus stuff was genuinely stupid.

The newer games have the same flaws the series always did but basically added a problem to outweigh them all - bloat. With Vallhala being added to PS plus I was tempted to go back to it but the sheer scale (of generic content) is such a huge put off for me.

Hoof the ball

The transitions and direction of the Origins trailer was one of the very best. The Cleopatra chess piece into Caesar on battlefield transition was so damn good.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Can you really blame people for disliking a game you yourself say you 'really, really hated' at first, and whose core feature (combat) you thought was 'complete muck' several hours into the game?

Most people aren't going to play for hours and hours if they hate the game only to see if they like it later, particularly when it's such a massive game. That's the fault of the developer.
The combat was my own fault tbh, went in expected the same as other ACs (hadn't played origins or odyssey by this point) and the new combat was rough for me to get into as it just felt jarring to me. Once I realised it's a whole new thing it was fine. It was all down to combat why I hated it at first.

I actually think I hate most games to start with as hate getting used to new controls and mechanics, and the slow tutorial parts. :lol: I'm rather impatient.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The combat was my own fault tbh, went in expected the same as other ACs (hadn't played origins or odyssey by this point) and the new combat was rough for me to get into as it just felt jarring to me. Once I realised it's a whole new thing it was fine. It was all down to combat why I hated it at first.

I actually think I hate most games to start with as hate getting used to new controls and mechanics, and the slow tutorial parts. :lol: I'm rather impatient.
Ah, that explains that! I played Origins, and actually found it a refreshing change from the old AC formula. But by Valhalla they definitely just expect you to immediately get it.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Haven't played Assassin's Creed since the first one. Every other one looks like a rush job cash grab. Tend not to touch Ubisoft stuff for that reason.
That’s a strange take given the typical complaint about their games is that there is too much content/things to do.

nimic

something nice
Scout
That’s a strange take given the typical complaint about their games is that there is too much content/things to do.
"Rush job" was a fair complaint in the post AC3-era, when they were releasing them on a yearly basis. Unity in particular was panned for being a buggy mess. But Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are most definitely not rush jobs.

Hoof the ball

"Rush job" was a fair complaint in the post AC3-era, when they were releasing them on a yearly basis. Unity in particular was panned for being a buggy mess. But Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are most definitely not rush jobs.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but to Ubisofts credit they were too ambitious in trying to realise their vision of Unity. Not a lot is made of this, but there isn't a single game out there in the gaming world that comes even close to what Unity did in terms of crowd density. It's absolutely phenomenal.............or at least would have been if they weren't trying to do more than the PS4 could handle. It was spectacularly overambitious, but for reference, look at Paris for crowd density. Nothing like it before, and still nothing like it now.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Can't believe I'm saying this, but to Ubisofts credit they were too ambitious in trying to realise their vision of Unity. Not a lot is made of this, but there isn't a single game out there in the gaming world that comes even close to what Unity did in terms of crowd density. It's absolutely phenomenal.............or at least would have been if they weren't trying to do more than the PS4 could handle. It was spectacularly overambitious, but for reference, look at Paris for crowd density. Nothing like it before, and still nothing like it now.

That's impressive, but how "real" are those NPCs? Hitman Blood Money did this in 2006 by making most of them very basic AIs.

Hoof the ball

That's impressive, but how "real" are those NPCs? Hitman Blood Money did this in 2006 by making most of them very basic AIs.

I watched a video a while back but the AC:Unity NPCs are running mini-scripts, so, they're not just wandering around, but performing actions relative to the context of the scene.