g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA Premier League

Aston Villa 1:1 Manchester United

Villa Park

Kick-off
Sat, 20 December 2014 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 59 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jammydodger7

Rafael is sitting on the bench since Valencia's recent performance. Shaw and Rojo are out, so Young will play.

Since we have no fit full backs, we'll definitly play 3-5-2

I would prefere us playing with the diamond, controlling the game, but I’m sure we’ll play again this crap 3-5-2

-------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------

---------------Jones--------------Carrick-------------Evans-----------------

Valencia-------------------------Fellaini------------------------------Young

-------------------------------Rooney-----Mata------------------------------

------------------------------Van Persie-----Fat-ao--------------------------

I would love to see

-------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------

Rafael-----------------------Evans---------Jones--------------------Young

--------------------------------------Carrick------------------------------------

--------------------------Herrera---------------Mata-------------------------

---------------------------------------Rooney-----------------------------------

---------------------------------Van Persie-----Fat-ao------------------------

Aston Villa will be shorn of eight players, with Alan Hutton and Kieran Richardson suspended and the ineligible Tom Cleverley also serving a ban.

--------------------------------Guzan-----------------------------------

?????-------------Okore---------Clarke-----------------Cissokho

-----------------------Sanchez------Delph----------------------------

Weimann-------------------Agbonlahor-----------------N’Zogbia

---------------------------------Beneteke------------------------------
    Fat-ao??

Avfc82

Supports
    Aston Villa
    Who's your "play destroyer"? Sanchez? He any good?
    He's been mostly rubbish, apart from a few spells where he hasn't looked that bad.

If he's under pressure outside our box he has a tendency to panic and give the ball straight to the opposition. With your midfield and attack that scares me.

Last edited:

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    He's been mostly rubbish, apart from a few spells where he hasn't looked that bad.

If he's under pressure outside our box he has a tendency to panic and give the ball straight to the opposition. With your midfield and attack that scares me.
    We have a midfield? I thought all our players were either forwards or make-shift defenders. Or Super Dave of course.

Roosney

Independent reporting Di Maria and Rojo in contention. This please:

Today's training pics via ManUtd twitter.

EDIT: "Louis van Gaal says Angel Di Maria is getting close to full fitness and could be on the bench for tomorrow's game at Aston Villa."

Last edited:

Kaos

So Fellaini is ill and Di Maria is likely on the bench, which means:

- Back 4 lol-
    ----Carrick--
    Herrera--Mata
    ----Rooney
    -RVP-----Falcao

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days

- Back 4 lol-
    ----Carrick--
    Herrera--Mata
    ----Rooney
    -RVP-----Falcao
    It'll be Rooney and Mata switched though.

itso 7

- Back 4 lol-
    ----Carrick--
    Herrera--Mata
    ----Rooney
    -RVP-----Falcao
    This is an away match so I would be careful going all out attack like that. The problem is that we know sweet F.A about Rafael's availability because Valencia would be Fellaini's most natural replacement on the right side of a diamond plus having the three of Falcao, Mata and Van Persie on the pitch, at same time, away from home sounds like asking for trouble. I would have;
    ---back four, inc Rafael---
    -----------Carrick-----------
    --Valencia--------Herrera--
    ----------Rooney---------
    --Van Persie----Falcao*----
    *could be Mata in for him, I'm not worried either way.

ChaddyP

With Fellaini out. Surely we will play Carrick in midfield.

__________de gea_____________
    Valencia Jones Evans Young
    __________Carrick_____________
    ________Herrera Mata_________
    ___________Rooney___________
    ________RvP______Falcao_____

Lindegaard; McNair, Blackett ;Fletcher Januzaj, di Maria; Wilson.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
    Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
    With Fellaini out. Surely we will play Carrick in midfield.

__________de gea_____________
    __________Carrick_____________
    ________Herrera Mata_________
    ___________Rooney___________
    ________RvP______Falcao_____

Lindegaard; McNair, Blackett ;Fletcher Januzaj, di Maria; Wilson.
    I think Rojo will play no? Otherwise I think this is what we'll go for but it's rather lightweight and extremely, extremely attacking.

RedRabit

-----------De Gea------------
    -Rafael-Jones-Evans-Young-
    -----------Carrick------------
    -----Valencia-Mata/Herrera-
    -----------Rooney------------
    ---------RVP---Falcao--------

4-4-2 Diamond.
    Valencia in RCM and Falcao to start this one.
    0-2 win.

ChaddyP

I think Rojo will play no? Otherwise I think this is what we'll go for but it's rather lightweight and extremely, extremely attacking.
    Based on lvg saying 23/28 available I'm thinking he's probably still unavailable. Which is why I opted for Evans over Rojo. If Rojo is fit then straight swap. Rooney may play deep like we saw him against Liverpool which will help add some bite in midfield. He and Mata can interchange positions.

Papii Grande

Come again? What do you base "for certain" on?

Last season Januzaj carried us on his back through some bad periods and was one of the few bright lights in the dark ages. This season he has started twice and has been subbed on for spare minutes. Yes, he hasn't had the same flare as last season but I wouldn't go overboard saying Lingard will contribute a lot more for certain.

And where did you get this injury information from? A link would be appreciated.
    Januzaj has barely been it this season, he hasn't the work rate to start at wing back, something Lingard was selected to do on his debut this season but sadly a huge injury robbed him. Januzaj has also played upfront this season, he has not impressed as he doesn't get in behind the defenders nor does he offer pace. Januzaj had Raheem Sterling-ish season last season under Moyesy,Rodgers 8th place side, now that the side is thriving Januzaj is not up to standard.

Why will Lingard contribute more? He can play wing back, winger, No.10 and be a natural forward player, reserve form and loan spell form as evidence. Also Lingard may not be a great dribbler like Adnan, but he possesses the natural blistering acceleration and pace to get in behind defences, something Adnan cannot do off the ball.

I've always thought Lingard has more promise than Januzaj in the youth set up, then again it could be a case of Rooney VS Ronaldo again.

A link? Quotes from ManUtd.com By LVG, Physioroom, training updates etc, however now my info is outdated as its been 3 days since my last post.

Happy Di Maria

Today's training pics via ManUtd twitter.

EDIT: "Louis van Gaal says Angel Di Maria is getting close to full fitness and could be on the bench for tomorrow's game at Aston Villa."
    Could not spot Rojo in any of the training pics. Was he training?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

----------DeGea------------
    Rafael-Jones-Evans-Young
    ----------Carrick------------
    -Valencia-------Herrera----
    ---------.Rooney-----------
    ---Wilson-------vPersie----

This is the team i would like to see. Di Maria for Wilson in 75th minute! :)

Papii Grande

Ideally My side would be:
    DDG, Rafael (Fletcher), Jones, Evans, Rojo(Young), Valencia,Carrick, Herrera,Rooney, Falcao (Di Maria), RVP (Diamond)
    Subs: Amos, Blackett, Fletcher, Di Maria, Young, Mata, Wilson

Tactically, around the hour mark, Valencia should replace Rafael, at full back, Rojo might need a break-so Ashley Young at fullback with Carrick slotting into 3 man defense. Fletcher to strengthen that holding midfield role, with Falcao given game time then replaced by Di Maria for cameo role

----------------DDG
    -------JONES CARRICK EVANS
    \ALENCIA HERRERA FLETCHER YOUNG
    ---------------ROONEY
    ----------DI MARIA----RVP

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    I don't think we'll play mata, herrera, and the strikers.. Too light weight. If rafael is fit then something like this probably. Maybe mata in for falcao would be more balanced.

De gea
    Rafael Jones Evans Young
    Carrick
    Valencia Herrera
    Rooney
    Falcao RvP​

detinUnaM

I for one am ok with Fellaini's illness. I thought he was very influential for us but he needs rest before tougher games that will be coming up. Aston villa is all about speed and Fellaini might be wrong for that one. But against newcastle we can definitely use him to fight Tiote.

Louis Van Gaal Press Conference:

lysglimt

Scout
    Nice to play a team with much bigger injury / suspension-problems than us.

Hutton, Richardson, Baker, Cleverley, Westwood, Cole, Senderos - all out for Villa.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
    villatalk confident for this one:

We will roll over and have our bellies tickled for this one, we won't even try, they are to good for us, standard! It'll be the game Man United look amazing, because we will let them play that way.
    0-3

10 goals in 17 games.
    It's to the point where we might as well forfeit this one each season to give us extra prep time for the week ahead.

Will we;

A: Look good but come up short

B: Storm it and get **** at the end

C: **** up at the start so they can have a nice nap for the rest of the 90

D: Get destroyed
    We are screwed. Hutton is suspended (five yellows). Richardson and Cleverley both unavailable -- I'm not a huge fan of either but it does leave us short in central midfield with Westwood also out. I expect nothing from this game.
    Can we not just play the Swansea game instead.
    We'll get destroyed in this game as usual. 3-0 to Man Ure
    Just watched the Man Utd V Liverpool game. Now we all know Liverpool aren't having the best of seasons, but Utd just seemed to be in cruise control the entire game. De Gea was outstanding and I just cannot see how we'll be able to put one past him with our scoring record.

I hate to be pessimistic but I think we are going to get absolutely overrun in midfield and our defence is just going to get unlocked time and time again. 4-0 Man Utd i'm afraid.
    They're an unbalanced side with a shaky defence. Liverpool had a lot of chances today.

We'll lose.
    God no team next week a massive thumping awaits as usual but at least we can say we have injuries when we get spanked!

Im going to this game as well what was i thinking?
    Our good form has stopped. It very rarely gets going again without a few defeats first.

2-4
    Yeah theyre in good form, we will get turned over. There's not a bigger banker in football than Aston Villa v Man Ure.
    Standard 0-3 defeat. We will look like a rabbit in the headlights, they wont get out of 1st gear.
    usual lie down and die,even the bookies know it as best price is about 4/7 ish.as it's not on tv they must be as fed up with it as we are.
    Guaranteed defeat. Doesn't matter what kind of form we're in or what kind of form they're in - they have an immense psychological advantage, not to mention far more quality. We've lost already. Let's just get this out of the way and focus on fixtures that are actually remotely winnable.

Obviously I hope the players don't take that attitude but it's impossible for me to get excited about this in any way.
    Says it all about the menality that I'm already writing this off as 1-3 defeat.
    Even when United were at their absolute worse under Moyes we handed them the easiest of victories.

Even if we do play well they out score us.

There is an obligatory decision that goes against us, the obligatory Rooney goal and all the biased commentary and officiating.

i can't stomach watching this
    Yes its not going to happen against us! Man Utd concede lots of chances but they have that killer instinct in front of goal and RVP is on fire, just at the wrong time for us.
    When it's utd on a 6 game win streak I'd say this is over before it begins
    I got my hopes up last season and we all saw how that went. Even when we had a decent side under O'Neill - when Nani got sent off early on and we played for a draw. Pathetic.
    Even the worst Ure side in recent history last season and they still beat us with ease.
    A loss. Doesn't matter what kind of team United put out they will win.
    They'll win comfortably. I think Di Maria is back. Falcao hasn't scored in a while so he'll get at least 7 goals.
    On a scale of 1-10 how much are we getting our bellies tickled?

I'm going for 34

Havak

Pokemon master
    Fellaini out leaves us with a bit of a problem to be honest, but there are plenty of options (assuming our five injuries are Rafael, Smalling, Rojo, Blind, Fellaini):

A. Play Darren Fletcher in Midfield.
    B. Play Phil Jones in Midfield and bring Blackett/McNair in at CB.
    C. Same as B, but Antonio Valencia in Midfield and Phil Jones at RB.
    D. Play Wayne Rooney in Midfield and Start Radamel Falcao/James Wilson.
    E. Start a 'not match-fit' Angel Di Maria in Midfield.

Rooney in midfield is what I'm thinking will happen.

de Gea
    Carrick
    Herrera Rooney
    Mata
    van Persie Falcao​

Donut

Van Gaal loves 3-5-2, and now that we're getting results there is no way he'll drop it.

-----------De Gea
    ----Jones-Carrick-Evans-----
    Valencia----------------Young
    ------Rooney---Fletcher-----
    ------------Mata-------------
    -------RVP------Falcao------

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player