Aston Villa

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If Gronk's shot had gone wide we'd have still finished above Liverpool on goal difference. This goal is the modern day "Denis Law's goal relegated Man United" fallacy. Like Torres goalbagast Barca, it was fantastic but didnt alter the outcome.
O.k if you had lost the game then....likely fire sale as I believe administration was being mentioned around that time so someone like Lampard could've been sold.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We just gambled everything on promotion. And lost.

I just assumed we'd sell likes of Grealish and Chester for 30m + and that would settle things down but things looking much worse now particularly as Xia can't get his cash out of China to fund us. Much worse than I thought things would be.
Hoping you turn it around ..... not least because my wife's a Villa fan (from Sheldon) and miserable.

devil in me

Its such a shame when great traditional clubs get screwed over by useless owners. Villa had one in Lerner, who initially seemed OK when he invested in O'Neill, but then he gave up and dragged them to the Championship, only to sell to this guy now who seems even worse. Really hope they sort themsleves out and get back up, but it doesn't look like that's a possibility in the near future.

devil in me

Typical Levy.

Plays hard ball when selling but like a vulture pleading poverty when buying. No idea how he keeps getting away with it and would love it if clubs started calling his bluff. Stingy git.
Because he isn't doing anything wrong and clubs are paying what he is asking! He can set the value for his players at whatever he wants, and can offer whatever he wants to other clubs, its up to them to pay/accept ! Its frustrating if your club is on the receiving end, but he's excellent at that part of his job.

Classical Mechanic

It would be the ideal move for Grealish too. He will probably want to go to a team with a manager known for developing young English players than sign for Leicester that go through managers like an Italian side.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Because he isn't doing anything wrong and clubs are paying what he is asking! He can set the value for his players at whatever he wants, and can offer whatever he wants to other clubs, its up to them to pay/accept ! Its frustrating if your club is on the receiving end, but he's excellent at that part of his job.
Whoa. What's with the exclamation marks?

Who said he was doing anything "wrong"?

devil in me

Whoa. What's with the exclamation marks?

Who said he was doing anything "wrong"?
Haha, I didn't mean it to come across like that...I even edited it because it seemed like I was having a pop at the post! Nobody said he was doing anything wrong, I was just making the point that he was excellent at negotiation!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Its such a shame when great traditional clubs get screwed over by useless owners. Villa had one in Lerner, who initially seemed OK when he invested in O'Neill, but then he gave up and dragged them to the Championship, only to sell to this guy now who seems even worse. Really hope they sort themsleves out and get back up, but it doesn't look like that's a possibility in the near future.
You need to read the rest of the thread mate, I did and none of what you posted seems to have any bearing on the actual situation.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It would be the ideal move for Grealish too. He will probably want to go to a team with a manager known for developing young English players than sign for Leicester that go through managers like an Italian side.
Is Grealish even good enough for Spurs? I guess he's only 22, could grow into a serviceable player.

Dundrummer

I wonder if anyone in the upper echelons of British football ever feels any guilt about what's happened to the game since they allowed literally any rich foreigner (feudal lords, financial criminals, despots, shysters, all are welcome) to buy a club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I wonder if anyone in the upper echelons of British football ever feels any guilt about what's happened to the game since they allowed literally any rich foreigner (feudal lords, financial criminals, despots, shysters, all are welcome) to buy a club.
No

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Travesty, a club that really belongs in the Premier League. Looked to have struck gold with their former owner, challenging for Champions League-spots before City and Chelsea came out of nothing with their funding and grounded everything. Club was sold to a lunatic from China that banked everything on promotion within two years, and now this crap where he probably buggers off.

Does not look like the FA’s fit for ownership-force is great at due diligence, this joker belongs in jail. Would be cool if teams like Villa and Leeds joined the PL again, maybe even Nottingham Forest, Middlesbrough and Blackburn (Venky’s). Teams like Brighton, Huddersfield and Swansea can vanish for all I care.
You make fun of the FA for not vetting potential owners yet want the Venkys owned Blackburn back in the PL?

Classical Mechanic

Is Grealish even good enough for Spurs? I guess he's only 22, could grow into a serviceable player.
I think there's a chance he could kick on and become a very good player. The ability is there, he just has to affect games a bit more. He's probably England's most natural dribbler, he puts a shift in and he is a bit of a cnut. But that is a good thing because he plays with passion.

I watched him a fair bit at the back end of the season and was very impressed. He is supposed to be putting the work in behind the scenes now as well and not partying etc. He has a lot of detractors on here though so I'm sure someone will have the contrary opinion to mine on him.

James Peril

You make fun of the FA for not vetting potential owners yet want the Venkys owned Blackburn back in the PL?
Obviously not, come on, I mentioned Venky’s to give a reminder of how bad things can go when you give control to ridiculous owners/intentions.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think there's a chance he could kick on and become a very good player. The ability is there, he just has to affect games a bit more. He's probably England's most natural dribbler, he puts a shift in and he is a bit of a cnut. But that is a good thing because he plays with passion.

I watched him a fair bit at the back end of the season and was very impressed. He is supposed to be putting the work in behind the scenes now as well and not partying etc. He has a lot of detractors on here though so I'm sure someone will have the contrary opinion to mine on him.
Cheers, I have seen very little of him, was just going off him being a championship player. And didnt know if he was good enough for a club competing for top 4 and CL.

Classical Mechanic

Cheers, I have seen very little of him, was just going off him being a championship player. And didnt know if he was good enough for a club competing for top 4 and CL.
These are some of his better moments from the season

He nearly scored an unbelievable goal in the play-off final too. Fulham resorted to axing him down to stop him in that game and had a player sent off for it.

His career faltered because he was partying a lot. He was photographed out on the town completely wasted a few times. If he's gettable at 15-20 I think we should go for him and loan him but I think he will prefer the idea of working with Poch tbh.

There are some good prospects in the Championship. Neves at Wolves and James Maddison at Norwich are ones to watch too.

United_We_Stand

Sawiris is Egypt's richest man, with a net worth of $6.8billion according to Forbes.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Just realised Agbonlahor has scored one goal in each of the last three seasons.:lol:

Dunno if I'm more astonished that he's still there, or that he's only 31.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just realised Agbonlahor has scored one goal in each of the last three seasons.:lol:

Dunno if I'm more astonished that he's still there, or that he's only 31.
Left now, out of contract. Wouldn't shock me if he retired as he lost interest in playing football about 4 years ago.

Given we were paying tax bills in instalments weeks ago today can only be good news.

Will still have to sell Grealish (could always get him back in future like Zaha and Pogba....) but looks like rest of squad can stay intact with his fresh capital.

Hopefully the new owners have more of a plan than just spending 30-40m on 29 years olds as we've been doing last couple of years.

My main concern is we now have two owners and also saw Xia still lurking in the background like a sulking kid because his expensive toy broke. Reminds me a bit of Hicks and Gillett causing all that chaos at Liverpool when they fell out so hopefully at least in the early days some agreement can be reached on major decisions.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I thought he had a cobbled together squad last season and nearly got promoted.

Oh hold on, ex-United player, nothing but put downs and insults.
He had quality of Terry and Snodgrass added to a squad that contained Kodjia, Grealish, James Chester, Jedinak etc.

I don't mind Steve Bruce but we should've been capable of second last season yet fell a fair bit short of that.

His brief now is to keep us competitive in the top half and settle things down. Would be surprised if he's still manager end of the season as inevitably new owners want their own guy in.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
He had quality of Terry and Snodgrass added to a squad that contained Kodjia, Grealish, James Chester, Jedinak etc.

I don't mind Steve Bruce but we should've been capable of second last season yet fell a fair bit short of that.

His brief now is to keep us competitive in the top half and settle things down. Would be surprised if he's still manager end of the season as inevitably new owners want their own guy in.
Weren't there a lot of loan signings that would be going back to their home clubs, or something?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wonder if many Villa fans still play down O Neill getting them three consecutive sixth place finishes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Weren't there a lot of loan signings that would be going back to their home clubs, or something?
Yes they all went back.

Point is our team was more than good enough to get second, the target was automatic promotion when we kicked off last August.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Yes they all went back.

Point is our team was more than good enough to get second, the target was automatic promotion when we kicked off last August.
You got very close and look at the teams who ended up being promoted.

I have a soft spot for Bruce, for obvious reasons, my dream was always that he would take a mid table club to the Europa League, win it and take over from SAF.

I guess that ship has sailed now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wonder if many Villa fans still play down O Neill getting them three consecutive sixth place finishes.
He did fine but it was hardly on a shoestring, we spent about 50m just on defenders over two transfer windows which showed an element of scattergun approach to things.

Moyes finished above him with much smaller budget at Everton in two of those seasons btw.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You got very close and look at the teams who ended up being promoted.
Wolves were clearly the best team in the league so no issue with not being close to them. Fulham were amazing second half of the season and I was dreading meeting them at any point in the play offs.

Issue was not being able to catch up with Cardiff and their free transfers of Mendez-Laing and Holliet. Warnock did the job I was expecting Bruce to do here.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
:lol:

Who knows how history would've played out but if he hadn't thrown a hissy fit in 2010 and continue keeping us around 6-7th he'd have probably been as strong a contender for Man. United job when that came up as him and Fergie always got on pretty well.

Instead he had poor spell at Sunderland and now international football is probably his best bet and even then you saw limitations of his football management when Eriksen ran riot in the play offs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He did fine but it was hardly on a shoestring, we spent about 50m just on defenders over two transfer windows which showed an element of scattergun approach to things.

Moyes finished above him with much smaller budget at Everton in two of those seasons btw.
I don't get this "he had a fair bit of money" routine Villa fans always peddle, as if no one before or after ever did with Villa.

Moyes might have done better, I'm sure plenty who spent more finished lower.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't get this "he had a fair bit of money" routine Villa fans always peddle, as if no one before or after ever did with Villa.

Moyes might have done better, I'm sure plenty who spent more finished lower.
We were 2nd or 3rd highest net spenders in either 2008 or 2009.

He did fine. Not amazing. Amazing would've been finishing 3rd or 4th in 2009 or 2010. Harry Redknapp did that with Spurs after all.

List of his key signings btw:

Petrov (6.5m)
Carew (5.5m)
Ashley Young (9.5m)
Reo Coker (7.5m)

Harewood (4m)
Zat Knight (3.5m)

Curtis Davies (8m)
Sidwell (5m)
Friedel (2m)
Nicky Shorey (4m)
Luke Young (5m)