Aston Villa

James Peril

Bruce didn't do a bad job there. Should possibly have left after failing to win the promotion final. Has had to work with financial restrictions during his time at VP. I have a feeling they will go for either Allardyce or Moyes.
Bruce has done a terrible job at Aston Villa, just look at their squad compared to the other teams down there. Villa should easily be top two last season and this one, still they are lurking around the middle. It only takes a couple of games to be up there again, but still... they have won like 1 in 10? Unlucky against Preston with that red card and a penalty miss, I know since I had money on them on Tuesday. Bruce has gone on endless streaks without winning games, just not good enough for a "top" team with newfound money.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Not sure on that tbh. There's talk our neighbours will be getting a big points deduction although they were a little different in that they actually signed a player when they were specifically told not to!

Anyway the easier way to get round FFP is actually to get promoted as Leicester, Bournemouth and Wolves have done but we've forgot about that part.
Indeed it is which makes the whole thing a joke! Not only that but look at QPR promoted helped by financially cheating and then relegated with the threat of FFP punishment hanging over them but end up with a fine that is a fraction of what the punishment supposedly should have been.

Points reductions for Brum? Believe it when I see it! tbh I don't think the league actually believe have the persuasive legal argument to back up their FFP punishments so it's a toothless exercise really. I would love to be proven wrong though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Indeed it is which makes the whole thing a joke! Not only that but look at QPR promoted helped by financially cheating and then relegated with the threat of FFP punishment hanging over them but end up with a fine that is a fraction of what the punishment supposedly should have been.

Points reductions for Brum? Believe it when I see it! tbh I don't think the league actually believe have the persuasive legal argument to back up their FFP punishments so it's a toothless exercise really. I would love to be proven wrong though.
Didn't QPR actually get a really big fine in the end as they obviously got relegated straight away. In last two years they've flogged pretty much every big earning player from their prem days and started promoting lots of youth players so guess that's one good side of FFP as it gives and opportunity to guys like Eze.

Revaulx

I hope they get back in the PL as soon as possible.
Big historical club plus the prettiest stadium in the country.
Really? The old Main (Trinity Road?) Stand was lovely, but its replacement isn't pretty in the slightest and the rest of the ground is nothing special.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Didn't QPR actually get a really big fine in the end as they obviously got relegated straight away. In last two years they've flogged pretty much every big earning player from their prem days and started promoting lots of youth players so guess that's one good side of FFP as it gives and opportunity to guys like Eze.
The fine they got was a negotiated down punishment from what it should have been and they should also have had points deductions and even relegation but basically I think the league were not 100% sure that FFP would stand up in court should QPR have gone that way so in the end gave them a punishment that QPR were "happy" to accept.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really? The old Main (Trinity Road?) Stand was lovely, but its replacement isn't pretty in the slightest and the rest of the ground is nothing special.
Uniqueness of it really, we have pretty much four seperate stands while all the new builds and redeveloped grounds are all wrap arounds or bland bowls.

Depends what you like in a stadium though. Plenty love Goodison and that hasn't had a lick of paint since the 70s. Stood in the lower away end there and you can't see the far corner flag when there's an attack.:lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rui Faria being strongly linked with us tonight.:houllier:

This the guy who's even more of a petulant child on the touchline than Mourinho? I'll stick with Henry thanks.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Rui Faria being strongly linked with us tonight.:houllier:

This the guy who's even more of a petulant child on the touchline than Mourinho? I'll stick with Henry thanks.
So the problem is how someone behaves on the touchline or the training sessions? Only asking, don't know how to compare him and Henry tbh.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
This club's needs to be back in the Premier challenging for the top 8, it's a gigantic club. If they don't make it this season it'll be such a shame .

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So the problem is how someone behaves on the touchline or the training sessions? Only asking, don't know how to compare him and Henry tbh.
Just irrationally don't like him so don't really want him managing my club, that's all.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Just irrationally don't like him so don't really want him managing my club, that's all.
Irrationaly not liking someone is more than fair. Actually the only time I had seen him linked to anyone was with Benfica for next season. Regarding the rest also read here that him leaving would suddenly turn United into a full Jedi attacking force. It didn't went that way. :lol:

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Good record with Walsall and Brentford. Fairly young. His teams play good attacking football and he’s a local man. Think he’s a villa fan actually
Yeah his Dad was a steward at Villa Park and was brought up a Villa fan. However as far as him becoming the Villa manager I doubt it and I reckon it would end in tears anyway. In far as what he has done with Brentford you need to understand what it is that Brentford are doing as a club. The fact that Brentford play good football is not entirely due to Dean Smith, the club/owner have a DNA of how they want to play football and it started before him and will continue after him. He is not responible for signing players but works with the Directors of Football and Technical Director who identify and handle player transfers. Brentford also have fantastic access to statistics thanks to the owner (Matthew Benham) and his company Smart Odds. There is also a fantastic coaching team that have been Brentford appointments rather than Dean Smith appointments so unlikely to move with him. He also has a habit of going on long winless streaks which he has done in each of the seasons he's been with Brentford and I believe also at Walsall, it's not the sort of run that a club like Villa would tolerate imo. Indeed one of these winless streaks led to the appointment of ex-Bronby head coach Thomas Franks and a slight tweak in tactics that he brought with him, indeed if Dean Smith did go to Villa I'd fully expect Thomas Franks to replace him. Basically I think Dean Smith IS a fantastic coach but he is also the perfect coach for Brentford as he embraces the different way they are approaching things and in turn they are the perfect club for him as they don't base the manager's performance soley on results and can stomach a winless run if performances are good. Very much doubt he is on their list but if he is and is offered the job I've no doubt he'd take it but Brentford would promote from in and keep going as they are - Dean Smith may not be so lucky though.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Really would like to see Villa return to the Premiership, I still go see them every now and again with my mate who’s a season ticket holder and growing up in Worcester they were always one of the most supported teams in the area. Always seemed like one of those teams that belong in the premiership. Unfortunately there’s about 30-40 of those teams.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Heard on the Sunday supplement that they might want Brendan, can’t see him going there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Henry was rumoured in the summer, and it looks like he's a potential candidate once more. It would be really interesting to see how he can do...

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Used to enjoy going to Villa Park back in the day. Loud intimidating atmosphere aided by the Holte End, which is where i was sat for Sven's 1st game in charge ( A 3-0 defeat of Spain ), shame it was sitting then and not the old terrace.
Would like to see them back in the premier league alongside some other traditional big clubs if I'm honest. Except Leeds, hope they go out of business and disappear into the realms of nothingness.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Happy enough with that. Been going to watch Walsall aswell since 2008 so actually saw his first games as a management so nice to see a guy taken out of youth team coaching who has developed over the last eight years and now has one of the biggest jobs in the country especially in our declined state.

If he gets us up (not expecting it this season) he'll be a legend as he'll have started the fightback just like Graham Taylor did in the late 80s.

Steven Seagull

Yeah his Dad was a steward at Villa Park and was brought up a Villa fan. However as far as him becoming the Villa manager I doubt it and I reckon it would end in tears anyway. In far as what he has done with Brentford you need to understand what it is that Brentford are doing as a club. The fact that Brentford play good football is not entirely due to Dean Smith, the club/owner have a DNA of how they want to play football and it started before him and will continue after him. He is not responible for signing players but works with the Directors of Football and Technical Director who identify and handle player transfers. Brentford also have fantastic access to statistics thanks to the owner (Matthew Benham) and his company Smart Odds. There is also a fantastic coaching team that have been Brentford appointments rather than Dean Smith appointments so unlikely to move with him. He also has a habit of going on long winless streaks which he has done in each of the seasons he's been with Brentford and I believe also at Walsall, it's not the sort of run that a club like Villa would tolerate imo. Indeed one of these winless streaks led to the appointment of ex-Bronby head coach Thomas Franks and a slight tweak in tactics that he brought with him, indeed if Dean Smith did go to Villa I'd fully expect Thomas Franks to replace him. Basically I think Dean Smith IS a fantastic coach but he is also the perfect coach for Brentford as he embraces the different way they are approaching things and in turn they are the perfect club for him as they don't base the manager's performance soley on results and can stomach a winless run if performances are good. Very much doubt he is on their list but if he is and is offered the job I've no doubt he'd take it but Brentford would promote from in and keep going as they are - Dean Smith may not be so lucky though.
Great information and you may well be right. I would say Walsall still played good football before Brentford though so it’s not all down to the backroom staff. Brentford will no doubt continue on their upward path and villa have a man with a good record who wants to be there. Was always the obvious choice

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well he's in.

Looking at his Brentford record, apart from the start of last season, longest winless run looks like four.

Are you a Brentford fan btw?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Great information and you may well be right. I would say Walsall still played good football before Brentford though so it’s not all down to the backroom staff. Brentford will no doubt continue on their upward path and villa have a man with a good record who wants to be there. Was always the obvious choice
Yeah I fully expect him to bring good football with him to Villa but guess the point I was making was that the way Brentford play is not solely down to him but it is ingrained into the club. I do find it odd that John Terry is seemingly being shoehorned in as his assistant but fully expect Richard Kelly to be joining him at Villa in a first team coach capacity. Smith by all accounts is a very emotionally intelligent man and very astute man manager, he embraced what Brentford was doing and in many ways was perfect for the Brentford head coach role. I hope he gets the time he deserves at Villa but if they don't look like being in the promotion race I do fear for him but then again he knows how to work a tight budget so maybe that's part of the thinking. If Villa don't go up they are in trouble financially is my understanding and Dean Smith can be the man to stabalise them while they put their house in order and play decent football to somewhat appease the fanbase.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Well he's in.

Looking at his Brentford record, apart from the start of last season, longest winless run looks like four.

Are you a Brentford fan btw?
When all else were saying no thanks go for the Villa fan, local man and money he can't refuse it seems and fair play to him he's more or less set for life now I'd imagine.

Yeah my comment regarding winless streaks would have been better said as runs of poor form - begining of last season slightly influenced that comment!

Yeah been going to Brentford for about 30 years now. My uncle was a united season ticket holder for many years so also made many a trip to Old Trafford hence my interest on this forum.

When all else were saying no thanks go for the Villa fan, local man and money he can't refuse it seems and fair play to him he's more or less set for life now I'd imagine.

Yeah my comment regarding winless streaks would have been better said as runs of poor form - begining of last season slightly influenced that comment!

Yeah been going to Brentford for about 30 years now. My uncle was a united season ticket holder for many years so also made many a trip to Old Trafford hence my interest on this forum.
Nice.

Good luck, from what you've said, sounds like Brentford have an infrastructure that means Smith moving on shouldn't be that much of an issue?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Nice.

Good luck, from what you've said, sounds like Brentford have an infrastructure that means Smith moving on shouldn't be that much of an issue?
Yeah that is the supposed plan and if you see any decent odds on Thomas Frank being appointed next head coach and you are a betting man - lump on. Some of the other names being mentioned by the bookies are absolutely stupid! Nigel Pearson ffs! Smith really bought into the Brentford model so it makes sense that they appoint from within as the next head coach also needs to get what the club is trying to do. When Thomas Frank was appointed general consensus was he was there not only to help turn around a poor run of form but also with a nod to succession planning for the day when Smith did go.

Yeah that is the supposed plan and if you see any decent odds on Thomas Frank being appointed next head coach and you are a betting man - lump on. Some of the other names being mentioned by the bookies are absolutely stupid! Nigel Pearson ffs! Smith really bought into the Brentford model so it makes sense that they appoint from within as the next head coach also needs to get what the club is trying to do. When Thomas Frank was appointed general consensus was he was there not only to help turn around a poor run of form but also with a nod to succession planning for the day when Smith did go.
Didn't get a bet away. Hopefully I didn't miss out on a fortune.