Astronomy & Space Exploration

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Can anyone explain what he means at 55:38 when he says "with a telescope like that, you can resolve everything in the universe to about 300 light years"?
I assume he means 300 million light years. I think basically (it almost certainly doesn't work like this but pretend it does) imagine the telescope is capturing the image as a pixelated one. One typically sized star 300 million light years away would be approximately one pixel in size when it hits the receptor. If you're looking at something much smaller like a moon then it wouldn't be able to resolve it as "one pixel" at 300 million light years (perhaps it would only be tens of thousands of light years), and if you were looking at something much larger like a galaxy then you would be able to resolve it as "one pixel" at much further away than 300 million light years. And I could be really wrong on this one as it's pretty much just a guess, but I think you can change the focus on the telescope and look for different wavelengths to see e.g. a moon that's aligned with a planet behind which is aligned with a star behind which is aligned with a galaxy etc. If your telescope wasn't really sharp all you might be able to see would be the really bright galaxy or star but as it gets sharper and cleverer I think you can see more and more detail at different depths of field. Basically it's all a really complicated version of Father Ted saying "small....far away"!

But eventually I suspect you always get to a point so far away that the red shift in the light is too much for your telescope to see no matter how big the object is. That's why having a telescope that can see further into the infrared spectrum than Hubble is so important, it helps you see further away (=further back in time).

That's my semi-educated guess understanding of how it all works anyway. I'll bow to the greater knowledge of anyone who actually knows the answer who'd like to correct me :lol:

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
For a dummy: What is so special about this?
Generally speaking it is about 100 times more powerful than Hubble telescope.
Plus getting it in space is an absolutely amazing feat of engineering. Once fully deployed, the telescope will have a mirror with a diameter of 6.5m, with a sunshield behind it with a surface of 14m by 21m. All that went into space yesterday folded up in the tip of an Ariane-V rocket and will unfold automatically once the vessel has reached its destination point. It's mind-boggling how they managed that.

Also, this powerful vision won't just give us much better pictures of places in the universe, it will also allow us to look more closely into the beginnings of time, as some of the light from close to the beginning of the universe is still reaching us. Hubble isn't powerful enough to capture it, but Webb should be. (Although someone else could probably explain this better.)

Another fun fact of engineering: the mirror is so (near-)flawlessly flat that, if it would have been size the Europe, nothing would stick out more than the size of a big book.

nimic

something nice
Scout
One typically sized star 300 million light years away would be approximately one pixel in size when it hits the receptor. I
Not sure that's what that means, because other telescopes can already resolve stars much further away than 300 million light years. The Ultra Deep Field sees stars as they were 13.2 billion years ago. I think "resolve" must mean something much more than just a pixel.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not sure that's what that means, because other telescopes can already resolve stars much further away than 300 million light years. The Ultra Deep Field sees stars as they were 13.2 billion years ago. I think "resolve" must mean something much more than just a pixel.
Happy to take your word for it if that's true but it's definitely the case that you can see bigger stuff from further away than you can see smaller stuff. If Hubble has seen light from galaxy/star formation from 13.2 billion years ago that absolutely wouldn't surprise me but I'd be surprised if it's seen a clear image of the star itself. As I said "imagine it as one pixel" I really don't think it actually works like that. For one thing you can stitch all kinds of images together over time and from different bits of your orbit and whatnot and build composite images. I'm sure there's all kinds of insanely clever things they can do to process the images.

Flying high

That's what I thought. In the context of what he's talking about, ie a 25m version of hubble giving far greater clarity, even compared to JW which has a different purpose... but I'm so far out of my comfort zone on this that I couldn't begin to correct someone else.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I know that you have a pretty good understanding of Cosmology. So would appreciate your comment.
My understanding is that the early Universe was far too hot for atoms to have formed. The plasma meant that there was just free protons and free electrons because they were moving too fast for the Strong Force to take effect.
At about 186,000 years, it became cool enough for hydrogen and helium to form. And this is referred to as Recombination.
Some time after this, the first stars and galaxies were born.

So this early period is what it is hoped that the JW Space Telescope is going to reveal?

Amarsdd

For a dummy: What is so special about this?
Might be easier to understand its importance in comparison to the Hubble telescope:
  • Larger and adjustable lens - collects more photons which means better resolution
  • Detector in the infrared range instead of visible light - essentially looking for heat signatures instead of visible colors
    • this means it can see through dust clouds
    • more importantly, it can look further away (and essentially further back in time). Due to the expansion of the universe, the distant galaxies are moving away from us faster than the ones closer. This means the photons from the distant galaxies are more red-shifted such that the visible light from them would have turned into infrared by the time it reaches us.

Amarsdd

When will we get pictures?
We might see some pictures during the calibration phase of the stars it's using to calibrate itself. But new stuff will only be after the calibration is done and that is six months.

I know that you have a pretty good understanding of Cosmology. So would appreciate your comment.
My understanding is that the early Universe was far too hot for atoms to have formed. The plasma meant that there was just free protons and free electrons because they were moving too fast for the Strong Force to take effect.
At about 186,000 years, it became cool enough for hydrogen and helium to form. And this is referred to as Recombination.

So this early period is what it is hoped that the JW Space Telescope is going to reveal?
The Cosmic Background Explorer and WMAP have already looked back at that super hot early period. There's not actually much to see, just a bunch of fairly uniform protons and neutrons. JWT is designed to look after that early period when the clouds of Hydrogen and Helium began to form stars to understand how and where it happened.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

I don't think the jwst will be able to as it were lift the veil on that 380,000 year period. I posted a vid a page or so ago which made it live for me what it's going to discover. The infa red aspect is to peer through Gas clouds of Galaxies as well as being far more powerful than hubble.
In 6 months time my baby will be born, hope to have some existentially awesome pics at the time as well.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I want a kind of tracker app like I had with the iss. I want to know when the stages are happening so I can keep track. Is there one I couldn't find anything on play store

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Cosmic Background Explorer and WMAP have already looked back at that super hot early period. There's not actually much to see, just a bunch of fairly uniform protons and neutrons. JWT is designed to look after that early period when the clouds of Hydrogen and Helium began to form stars to understand how and where it happened.
Thanks.
I was referring to that period you mentioned, after recombination and as the first stars and galaxies were being formed.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yea had a look on YouTube this afternoon and it's started to do as the above article states. And roughly 1/3 the way to L2.
Scary

75% of the work is done. Just the mirror unfolding to do now.

nickm

75% of the work is done. Just the mirror unfolding to do now.
Secondary mirror done (the smaller one at the front), the big one to do still. Hope all those hexagons still fit together...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Secondary mirror done (the smaller one at the front), the big one to do still. Hope all those hexagons still fit together...
Hexagons? So not pentagons, right? Because if I made them pentagon shaped they wouldn't fit together properly would they?

.......shit.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hexagons? So not pentagons, right? Because if I made them pentagon shaped they wouldn't fit together properly would they?

.......shit.
Remember that satellite that crashed because someone worked in imperial while everyone else worked in metric?

Not kidding!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nature Briefing said:
Stars might form way faster than we thought

A gas cloud could coalesce into a baby star ten times quicker than previously thought. Astronomers observed that the feeble magnetic fields outside the core of Lynds 1544, the beginnings of a star that’s forming in the Taurus Molecular Cloud, are even weaker than predicted. That gives gravity free rein in that region to crush enough gas together to spark nuclear fusion. “The paper basically says that gravity wins in the cloud: that’s where stars start to form, not in the dense core,” says astrophysicist Paola Caselli. “If this is proven to be the case in other gas clouds, it will be revolutionary for the star formation community.”
Summary article in Science: https://www.science.org/content/article/stars-may-form-10-times-faster-thought
Full scientific article: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04159-x

I just wish they would say somewhere what sort of timelines we are now talking about! :lol: