At the end of this season, Maguire needs to be removed as Captain

red_de_pologne

So you want him removed from being captain on what? Certainly not being the worst defender, hmm leading our team to what could be our best finish since Jose,
Oh perhaps u want Bruno as captain, why would u burden our best player with that, Maguire doesn't miss many games and probably is our best fit at the moment.
I don't think that being fit for every game is enough to warrant a captaincy, I don't see him as a leader at all. Yes I would rather have Bruno who demands from his team mates, sets an example with his work rate and ethic, has the ambition and has proven that he can walk right into our team and happily carry the team on his back, I think it'd elevate him not burden him.

Water Melon

Armband is not important, really? It is super important during matches. It effects every player, the manager and the ref. I'd have Bruno as my captain next season. Captains are supposed to be ultimate professionals, so if Maguire feels offended for losing captaincy, then he needs to grow a pair. Bruno is the leader and the best player, Harry is yet to show what he truly is made of. Armband is not a random thing, it is a symbol and shall be represented by the most passionate, hard-working and popular player. Evra and Gary Neville were light years ahead in captaincy compared to the slabhead.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How many Maguire threads do we need because he had one bad game?

If we give it to Bruno shall we strip the captaincy after terrible performances like Sheff Utd from him?

Acole9

Outstanding
If he didn't get it taken off him last summer then he won't now.

RashyForPM

The issue is there isn't really many truly world-class CB's out there. Ramos I would love even though he is past his prime as I do believe he is still world-class but my issue would be adapting to the PL at his age, that would be a worry.

Upamecano I really like and I have seen him 3-4 this season aside from the United game and he looked good at best... I know it's a small sample of games as I have probably only watched him 7-8 times in total and others may have seen something in him that I haven't? In fact, I prefer Konate over him but his injury record does scary me tbh!
Yeah I generally agree, albeit I’m 50-50 over Upamecano or Konate. Both look truly excellent when I watch Leipzig. About Ramos’ adaptation though, I think that’ll be plain sailing. World class, physical CBs will have no problem playing in England.

davidmichael

Rather than stripping Maguire as captain and burdening Fernandes with an extra job we should look at signing more on pitch leaders, that’s the bigger problem as it’s basically Fernandes and to a lesser extent Maguire as our only leaders.

When I started really supporting United (I can’t honestly say I loved them 1985-1988 as much and it was more my Dad and Grandad so say 1989-1990) we had Robson, Hughes, Bruce, Leighton, Pallister and Ince then a few years later Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel and Irwin.

Back in 2008 we had Gary Neville as our captain but had Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, VDS and Evra not to mention Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez so we were packed with on pitch leaders and that’s what we should be looking to do again now.

We all seem too bothered about who the captain is when you could go back to Bryan Robson as the last time we had one standout on pitch leader and that was during our lean years as a cup team at best, I’d rather we leave Fernandes to be our best player and A leader rather than THE ONLY leader.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Shit thread. The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the pitch or the most vocal. If the players look to him as a leadership role on and off the pitch, then he's the captain. He was made captain and he'll remain the captain no matter if people think Bruno is more of a captain.

Pearl's a minger

I can picture it now.."Harry you're not captain anymore" he would undoubtedly give the same gormless/quizzical look that he brings out everytime we concede. Let him keep it,he's a captain in name only,he's certainly not an organiser or leader of the team.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's a brainless fecking idiot. Who in the right mind plays that pass. Even if your team-mate asks for the ball, he ought to know better. Pathetic.

Pearl's a minger

Pretty sure the gormless moron did something similar early on in the season that led to a goal. Could be wrong though.

RashyForPM

He's a brainless fecking idiot. Who in the right mind plays that pass. Even if your team-mate asks for the ball, he ought to know better. Pathetic.
Yeah let’s blame Maguire for playing a regulation pass when playing out. Apparently he controls whether Fred can play football or not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Inevitable some idiots would try and blame Maguire for Fred being unable to control and pass a football.

Paxi

Yeah let’s blame Maguire for playing a regulation pass when playing out. Apparently he controls whether Fred can play football or not.
You do know he has a mind of his own, well I’m not actually sure about and he is allowed to make decisions himself. Passing the ball to Fred was idiotic. I know if I’m playing footy and I play that ball, I get a bollocking from half of my teammates if that leads to a goal. It’s elementary stuff.

Paxi

Inevitable some idiots would try and blame Maguire for Fred being unable to control and pass a football.
If you going to call someone an idiot at least have the bollocks to tag you piss ant.

Dan_F

Have you ever watched a team play out from the back? How do you think you create space? Fred should be passing that back to the keeper first time.

NinjaFletch

Tbf, I'm not sure that, as a Manchester United centre half, you should have to think 'ok, right, that's Fred and he can't control or pass a football, I can't pass to him'. It should be an absolute given that your centre midfielder should be able to do that to an acceptable standard.

littleman

Magdire seemed to have won over Ole from his performative theatrics on leadership. He made a lot of noises, gave out a lot of PR statements. He also played like shit and then he shut up pretty quick after that.

Magire's played better since and has been Maguire.

I think Ole made the wrong choice, just like how Ole worshipped Pogba and prostrated before him. Bruno's really shown us the old way, not the ole way.

I'm OK with Maguire staying in the team. I just want his mouth shut. Just play boy.

RashyForPM

You do know he has a mind of his own, well I’m not actually sure about and he is allowed to make decisions himself. Passing the ball to Fred was idiotic. I know if I’m playing footy and I play that ball, I get a bollocking from half of my teammates if that leads to a goal. It’s elementary stuff.
If you get a bollocking, then what about the clown who 1) has an awful first touch and 2) can’t pass?

Literally every single top team plays that pass. Bayern and City are widely seen as the best teams in the world in that order, right? Kimmich and Rodri receive those types of passes time after time. Busquets, De Jong etc, they do too.

Paxi

Have you ever watched a team play out from the back? How do you think you create space? Fred should be passing that back to the keeper first time.
Of course I have. Happens at every level of football. Sometimes the pass isn’t on. It’s not bloody hard. He’s not iniesta or xavi to turn on a sixpence — in fact he’s wildly inconsistent, Fred. So I’m aghast as to why the pass was made. Fred is ridiculous for not being able to control it but then don’t create that problem.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Crazy to blame Maguire for Fred not being able to control a simple pass and then make a simple pass himself.

As an aside I find the obsession over which player gets to wear a little arm band around their bicep to be really really strange. It does not matter.

Paxi

Tbf, I'm not sure that, as a Manchester United centre half, you should have to think 'ok, right, that's Fred and he can't control or pass a football, I can't pass to him'. It should be an absolute given that your centre midfielder should be able to do that to an acceptable standard.
I’m not saying never pass him the ball but have some situational awareness. That’s his bred and butter. He should be able to sniff dangerous situations from a mile away.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I’m not saying never pass him the ball but have some situational awareness. That’s his bred and butter. He should be able to sniff dangerous situations from a mile away.
That wasn't a very dangerous situation though. Fred was even asking for the ball.

Paxi

If you get a bollocking, then what about the clown who 1) has an awful first touch and 2) can’t pass?

Literally every single top team plays that pass. Bayern and City are widely seen as the best teams in the world in that order, right? Kimmich and Rodri receive those types of passes time after time. Busquets, De Jong etc, they do too.
Just as bad or worse. We’re comparing De Jong, Busquets, Kimmich to Fred now. If one of them played for us than we can play out the back all we want. We don’t have anyone remotely as press-resistant.

Nick7

Christ al fecking mighty. He’s been excellent recently and people are calling for his head because Fred fecked up :lol:

youmeletsfly

So if, as a Man United player, you know Fred is shit at receiving the ball, you still take the risk and pass it there to him?

That makes you the most non-Man United player ever.
Not only the pass was sent into Fred:
- it was also clumsy
- you never pass in front of your goal, perpendicular to your own goal line. If another player intercepts, it's the shortest distance towards the keeper.
- he passed to Fred while himself being pressured and also Fred having another player onto him.

Cast5

They’ve been so desperate to have a go at Maguire who’s been excellent for ages now that they’re blaming him for a Fred mistake, how sad are some people :lol:

Paxi

That wasn't a very dangerous situation though. Fred was even asking for the ball.
So everyone has to receive the ball when then ask for it. Maguire got tunnel vision. He had 4 other options there and yet he chooses to pass between two strikers. And onto two oncoming midfielders. It was a brainless pass.

Nick7

So if, as a Man United player, you know Fred is shit at receiving the ball, you still take the risk and pass it there to him?

That makes you the most non-Man United player ever.
Not only the pass was sent into Fred:
- it was also clumsy
- you never pass in front of your goal, perpendicular to your own goal line. If another player intercepts, it's the shortest distance towards the keeper.
- he passed to Fred while himself being pressured and also Fred having another player onto him.
Blame Ole, we’ve been making that pass all season and this isn’t the first time it’s hurt us.

Dan_F

Of course I have. Happens at every level of football. Sometimes the pass isn’t on. It’s not bloody hard. He’s not iniesta or xavi to turn on a sixpence — in fact he’s wildly inconsistent, Fred. So I’m aghast as to why the pass was made. Fred is ridiculous for not being able to control it but then don’t create that problem.
Nah I don’t agree at all. Either we’re trying to play out from the back or we’re not. Football is coached through repetition and I’m 99% sure Ole will be wanting him to play that ball.

If Fred makes the first time pass, Henderson can pass to Telles, and the midfielder who pressed Fred is out of position. It’s basic stuff.

padzilla

Hipster
We were mugged when we bought Maguire and while playing a pass to the edge of your own box when you are being pressed is risky, you have to say at the same time there really is no excuse for Fred making that shocking pass.