At the end of this season, Maguire needs to be removed as Captain

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The chair can't be soft otherwise it will send out the wrong message. I recommend the Iron Throne.
Good point. We should stick Maguire's head on a spike outside Old Trafford as well as a warning to any future CBs that are even thinking of having bad games.

DoomSlayer

Maybe he showcased professionalism and leadership around the club that many others didn't even in a short time period at the club? I remember posters at the time calling for De Gea, how clueless can you be to want him as captain! The truth is, none of us have any idea how Maguire performs his role around the club, but from the snippets we get to see in interviews and on social media, he's well respected, professional and an asset to the club. Too many posters let their bias get in the way of judging a very good character, regardless of what you think about him as a player.

Also on your first point, you do remember our previous captain was Young, a player who was never fit to wear a Man Utd shirt and was certainly a far lesser player than Maguire.
"Showcased professionalism and leadership around the club that many others didn't even in a short time period at the club" is nowhere near a good enough argument to appoint a player as captain after playing for a club less than half an year.

De Gea being too meek and a pushover is a very bad indication of his own character as well, he wasn't able to step up and become the leading senior figure and has actually been regressing more as the time goes.

SirMarcusRashford

He shouldn't have been made captain anyway, how can a player come from another club (and an average club) and be made Manchester United captain straight away? A club captain, should be someone who's been at the club a number of years, who's been in wars for the club they are captaining and knows what it means to play for said club.

Saying that we don't really have any obvious leaders, but it should have probably gone to De Gea (rubbish as he's been for the last 2 seasons).

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We shouldn't have appointed him as Captain, we didn't have any other choice maybe.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Harry Maguire is up there with one of the worst players I have seen as captain of our great club, he can't even command his own defenders and the amount of mistakes he has cost us is simply. Not good enough for what we paid for him. Looking back he was okay at Leicester had the odd good game but under well less pressure than he is with us and had a really good world cup. However, that doesn't command the price we ended up paying for him when there are much better CB's available at a cheaper cost to what we shelled out. And then to arrive and be given the captaincy when he hadn't earnt it was strictly mind blowing. Out of 10 I would give him a 5.5 for overall performance levels since signing, his antics against Everton cost us the points more than David de Gea who up until a few years ago was the BEST GK in the world. Him going down easily to try and get a foul late on and for the captain to be the one to keep everyone onside in the dying seconds when every other member of the team was keeping the offside track perfectly.

And his reactions after games especially in Derbys when we have been beaten or drew and he is hugging playing or laughing, it sends out the message to every club that we are soft and then were shocked when teams like Sheffield come against us and just go for it because they know how much or our squad particularly in defence are weak minded individuals. Bruno Fernandes is the proper captain of this club for me, even when he doesn't play well which is rarely he pulls an assist or goal out of no where and he never continues to not try which I love about him. Give him the captaincy and you will see players attitudes improve and from that we will start to have a proper mentality not seen for years. And for people saying Maguire has been better than I am saying he has would he get in City's, Liverpools, PSG, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Milan, Ajax, Munich or Dortmund side who are now the elite of Europe. No.
I saw Bruno joke with opposing players a few times in the past few matches, should he be drawn and quartered?

Yes, Maguire would start for almost any top club in the world.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
"Showcased professionalism and leadership around the club that many others didn't even in a short time period at the club" is nowhere near a good enough argument to appoint a player as captain after playing for a club less than half an year.

De Gea being too meek and a pushover is a very bad indication of his own character as well, he wasn't able to step up and become the leading senior figure and has actually been regressing more as the time goes.
It is when there were absolutely no viable alternative captains. I am not a big believer in just giving the captaincy to the longest standing player or the senior guy. Good leaders usually stand out from minute one. As I said, I don't know if Maguire has shown that but I'm willing to believe that he's impressed a lot of people in a short time period and fully deserved that captaincy. Who do you think should have been made captain at that point?

Oranges038

The time to do it was after he was arrested all that crap in Greece.

I don't think he's vocal enough or confident enough to be the captain. He doesn't display any leadership qualities on the field either. When things go wrong he stands around looking like a lost sheep.

Anyway, it won't happen, he cost 80m and unless something major happens he is going to captain while he's here

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I don't really agree with this thread, however, I do think we need to get past the "Maguire never gets substituted" mantra Ole seems to have. Every other outfield player in the team is at risk of going off if they aren't having the best game. Even Fernandes.

Yet Maguires has had some real stinkers this season. Has shown he is really vulnerable against pace and yet always stays on the pitch.

For me, that sends an awful message to the rest of the team.

romufc

I keep reading "He shouldn't have been made captain in the first place"

If you actually look at it, we signed Maguire who was meant to be a leader. He wasn't appointed captain as soon as he walked in.

We sold our club captain Ashley Young so a new captain is required. Generally, you look at your most experienced player.. DDG. The obvious candidate who was making mistakes and had doubts over him, plus he isn't really a leader.

Second, Pogba who had major doubt about his future, I cannot see how he can be given the captaincy.

Other options maybe included Rashy, Matic, Mata but 2/3 of them dont really play and it is too early to give it to Rashy who is inexperienced.

So giving it to Maguire was the only sensible option, he plays every single game.

DoomSlayer

It is when there were absolutely no viable alternative captains. I am not a big believer in just giving the captaincy to the longest standing player or the senior guy. Good leaders usually stand out from minute one. As I said, I don't know if Maguire has shown that but I'm willing to believe that he's impressed a lot of people in a short time period and fully deserved that captaincy. Who do you think should have been made captain at that point?
Right now Fernandes would have been the easiest choice ever, but back then he just arrived so making a positive choice was almost impossible.

If Pogba was fit and playing, I would have chosen him, to try and put purpose to his commitment to the club. Entering the right age, loads of experience, won league titles and a World Cup, he definitely would have deserved it the most and I'm saying that as someone who has criticised Pogba quite a bit. But whatever the outcome, Solskjaer would have known whether Pogba will commit to the club and would also have time to assess which players could be suitable replacements.

Shimo

Despite Maguire is slow and yes, he isn't world class, I think he commands enough respect and overall a good character as a Club captain. Club captain isn't just about shouting on the field but, there is a lot also behind the scenes with younger players, in the dressing room, on the training pitch and how one takes care of themselves off the field as well.

The problem is not our captain but, lack of leaders / people that take responsibility on the pitch for themselves and others. If you look our starting 11 against Everton, you could say at best we had Bruno, Cavani and Maguire that try and coax the rest. McT and Fred are good at battling without being told but, they doesn't seem like they push the others to do better. Pogba as as a leader is talked about behind the scenes than on the pitch, which has it's pluses but, required on the pitch to get others to do Then you have players like Lindelof, Rashford, Greenwood, AWB, DDG, Martial - who just play their game and that's about it. Say if Greenwood misses covering a runner, you are not going to see AWB go at him.

Compare that with what we used to say 2008 team. VDS, Evra, Rio, Vidic, Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Giggs - all of them would ask others to do better and you had players like Park, Brown, O'Shea, Hargreaves (when fit) that would be no slouches at fighting tooth and nail.

Matthew84!

Someone has way too much time on their hands, we looked good with Bailey next to him, its obvious it's Lindelof who is too small, slow and error prone, he needed removing a long time ago,

Matriac

As others have said, you don't need an armband to be a leader.
I love Bruno for his passion and ability to pump up the other players, but even if Maguire left tomorrow I would not want him as our new Captain.

Now that the rules are only the Captain can address the referee on field for big situations I would much prefer someone that can keep their cool while talking to the ref. Bruno has a temper and has already been booked for talking back. (That said, Maguire could probably go up a notch with talking to the ref, like when De Gea was pushed in the back for the goal against SU.)

The Captain also has a lot of off-field responsibilities towards media/sponsors, following up players with motivation and making sure everyone is treated fairly in the squad (if not bring up with Ole and his team).
I'd much rather that person remain someone like Maguire instead of Bruno having to tone down his personality to do the role. I'd much rather Bruno be allowed to remain a bit of a primadonna (I say that with the best of intentions), to be able to act out and scream a little more, as I think that's the best way he can help push our players as one of the other leaders in the team.

red_de_pologne

Someone has way too much time on their hands, we looked good with Bailey next to him, its obvious it's Lindelof who is too small, slow and error prone, he needed removing a long time ago,
you know the thread is about removing the captaincy of him right? not him from the squad.

I think we will change captain in the summer, it will benefit everyone, Maguire included.

Walters_19_MuFc

Disagree. We've seen over the years how important it is having a solid centre-back partnership.

Unfortunately, Lindelof has been struggling with his back, Bailly continues to be a liability, and Tuanzebe, from what it seems, isn't ready yet. Therefore, whether Maguire is the best defender we've had at the club or not, (he obviously isn't) what he brings in terms of consistency is priceless.

Going forward, we need someone who can give us the same. Obviously, someone with top ability too, who will compliment Maguire. A consistent Bailly type would be nice.

I think once we have that, we'll certainly be making a step in the right direction.

wolvored

Ole bought him and made him captain. That wont change whilst he is manager. As others have said we need more Bruno like characters. Not afraid to order the team around and call it how it is. The actual captains role doesn't mean a thing really these days

SAFMUTD

I mentioned it in the thread yesterday but stripping someone of captaincy could be disastrous for team morale.
Thats my main issue, of course Bruno should wear the band but the impact on Maguire would be dreadful. Could turn into a dressing room problem very easily.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’ve been thinking the same. It was thought he could be a captain in the same mould as Steve Bruce or John Terry (for all the latter’s faults, he was a fantastic captain for Chelsea). But Maguire is not that at all.

BaneIsPain

Despite his clumsiness at odds times, I don’t think we should strip his captaincy. He must be good at something that Ole trust him.

Hawks2008

Bruno is the real leader of this team, he deserves to be captain ands it's as simple as that.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
More clueless threads about Maguire - what a wank fan base

Cast5

Does stripping Maguire of the captaincy improve Maguire? No. Does stripping Maguire improve Manchester United? No. I’m sick of this narrative everywhere, I think Maguire is a fantastic player, if you don’t rate him then that’s fine but stop with this rubbish.

Bruno wasn’t at the club when Maguire was made captain, Bruno does not need the armband to help lead the team, Did Vidic need it when Neville was Captain? Did Rio need it when Evra was Captain? It’s just another silly thing to complain about.

Some people actually want to see the Headline: Maguire stripped of Manchester United Captaincy. Why? Can’t believe anyone would think that would help the team in any way.

Matthew84!

you know the thread is about removing the captaincy of him right? not him from the squad.

I think we will change captain in the summer, it will benefit everyone, Maguire included.
So you want him removed from being captain on what? Certainly not being the worst defender, hmm leading our team to what could be our best finish since Jose,
Oh perhaps u want Bruno as captain, why would u burden our best player with that, Maguire doesn't miss many games and probably is our best fit at the moment.

Hoof the ball

Regarding, Stam/Johnsen, I think that pairing only worked because Stam was a phenomenal CB, individually better than both Rio & Vidic imo. When Fergie got rid, we got hammered in the league that season by Arsenal. It took the signing of Rio the following season to see us back to our best.
Put Stam alongside either of Lindelof & Maguire this season and we're still top of the league.
Stam. The only time that SAF made a bad judgement call on selling a player he thought was on the decline.

iHicksy

I do think Bruno should be captain. He leads by example, and although it wouldn't improve his performance it does send out a good message when you see his work ethic and how much he cares to the other players and us as fans to say "That's our captain. That's the standard". It's not that I dislike Maguire per se, I just think Bruno is the model for what a United captain should stand for.

RashyForPM

I agree he’s not a captain, but at the same time, please explain what stripping him of the armband would do. As someone said, we all know Bruno is the captain already. He literally bollocked Maguire at HT in the Spurs game. I can’t see Maguire even speaking back to Bruno. However, I disagree that he isn’t good enough for us in our current state. Obviously he’d never get near our great teams, but currently, the guy is our best CB, so if you want to sell him, we’ve gotta get rid of Lindelof, Axel and Jones first, in which case we’ll run out of CBs.

Keep him and pair him with Ramos or Upamecano next season. Imo, he’ll be much better playing the Gomez to Van Dijk role, or Varane to Ramos, Johnsen to Stam, Pique to Puyol, Stones to Dias, you get my drift. Playing next to someone truly top class will elevate him.

Alfie092

I do not see him being stripped of the captaincy unless he either has another off-the-field issue or his form drastically drops that he is no longer a starter.

IMO he will still be our captain for next season whether we like it or not because if we do sign a CB, rightly or wrongly, it will be to play alongside Maguire.

While I do not think Maguire has been as bad as many people make it out to be, he hasn't been as good as I expected him to be either. I know the price tag is out of his control, so therefore, the blame should be pointed at the club because for that fee, which is a world record fee for a defender, you are literally telling the club to take a pick of almost any CB in the world and they choose Harry Maguire?

I really hope the club identifies the right CB partner for him during the summer as that's the only way I see us getting the best out of him, as Maguire and Lindelof clearly don't work. While Maguire and Bailly has potential, Bailly doesn't play enough games to build a strong pairing between the 2, which means we are back to Lindelof again...

I hope Maguire succeeds and it's important for us that he does because we don't want us to have to spend money on 2 CB's, as then this would allow us to strengthen other areas of the pitch.

Alfie092

I agree he’s not a captain, but at the same time, please explain what stripping him of the armband would do. As someone said, we all know Bruno is the captain already. He literally bollocked Maguire at HT in the Spurs game. I can’t see Maguire even speaking back to Bruno. However, I disagree that he isn’t good enough for us in our current state. Obviously he’d never get near our great teams, but currently, the guy is our best CB, so if you want to sell him, we’ve gotta get rid of Lindelof, Axel and Jones first, in which case we’ll run out of CBs.

Keep him and pair him with Ramos or Upamecano next season. Imo, he’ll be much better playing the Gomez to Van Dijk role, or Varane to Ramos, Johnsen to Stam, Pique to Puyol, Stones to Dias, you get my drift. Playing next to someone truly top class will elevate him.
The issue is there isn't really many truly world-class CB's out there. Ramos I would love even though he is past his prime as I do believe he is still world-class but my issue would be adapting to the PL at his age, that would be a worry.

Upamecano I really like and I have seen him 3-4 this season aside from the United game and he looked good at best... I know it's a small sample of games as I have probably only watched him 7-8 times in total and others may have seen something in him that I haven't? In fact, I prefer Konate over him but his injury record does scary me tbh!

pablo__p

To people questioning the importance of the armband.

So you join a new team and your team lead is this subdued muted individual who is decent at his job but not an amazing performer.

Then there is this colleague Bruno who'd joined a few months earlier but is already super productive, talks a lot and has plenty of good ideas.

Would it be natural for people on the team to follow Bruno or Team Lead?

Probably depends on the character mix but I'd say most people would choose comfort and just trying to live a calm life just like their Team Lead.