At what point does Aguero leave little City?

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Professional footballers don't tend to view things in the same way as bitter opposition fans though.

I'll also add that despite your withering attack on Manchester City, there is absolutely nothing unbelievable about Aguero spending the last 5 seasons with us. In any case, that doesn't equate to his entire career does it?

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the disgraceful way your club - and in part, your manager - continues to treat Arsenal fans with utter contempt:nono: and with that in mind the lack of self-awareness in your post beggars belief in relation to someone like Alexis Sanchez who deserves to be at a club that is in serious competition for major trophies rather than one whose shareholders, Usmanov aside, are only really interested in investing enough to finish in the top 4 each season.

I agree, I don't like Wenger either and I am surprised top players waste their career at a club with no aspirations.

Now having admitted the above I am coming back to City, it is absolutely unbelievable he wasted his career at City. A club with no history, no pedigree and the only thing they have to offer is oil money and the occasional league title, which lets face it he could have easily won at Madrid/Barca/Munich every year (yes yes Arsenal can't even offer that before you started rambling about Arsenal again).

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I agree, I don't like Wenger either and I am surprised top players waste their career at a club with no aspirations.

Now having admitted the above I am coming back to City, it is absolutely unbelievable he wasted his career at City. A club with no history, no pedigree and the only thing they have to offer is oil money and the occasional league title, which lets face it he could have easily won at Madrid/Barca/Munich every year (yes yes Arsenal can't even offer that before you started rambling about Arsenal again).
Ah, the no history and no pedigree argument. Yet City were formed before Arsenal and won our first trophy 26 years before Arsenal won theirs. That's a bit of history for you right there.

As for the oil money jibe, grow up. Another astonishing example of a lack of self-awareness when you consider who Arsenal's main sponsors are.

By the way, how's Gazidis doing these days? Happy to take his £2 million-plus salary while not doing much to warrant being paid so much. Then again, he's been a City fan since he was growing up as a kid in Manchester so he probably doesn't give much of a toss about Arsenal.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who was ever going to pay the £30+ million and astromical weekly wage and other associated bonuses he is being paid to play for City?

He would command near world record fees and wages and isn't as good or as young as the teams that can afford him have already.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Who can ever forget that occasion back in the 1990's when Stockport County got a higher attendance at Edgeley Park for a home game against Huddersfield Town in the 3rd tier than Chelsea got for a top flight home game against Southampton just a few days later?:lol:
Yet now look at us, selling out every game while the cold winds blow around the vacant seats of the Emptihad. ;)

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Yet now look at us, selling out every game while the cold winds blow around the vacant seats of the Emptihad. ;)
Well your ground holds 14 thousand less than ours so I'm not sure how you wouldn't expect to sell out in those circumstances ;)

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Ah, the no history and no pedigree argument. Yet City were formed before Arsenal and won our first trophy 26 years before Arsenal won theirs. That's a bit of history for you right there.

As for the oil money jibe, grow up. Another astonishing example of a lack of self-awareness when you consider who Arsenal's main sponsors are.

By the way, how's Gazidis doing these days? Happy to take his £2 million-plus salary while not doing much to warrant being paid so much. Then again, he's been a City fan since he was growing up as a kid in Manchester so he probably doesn't give much of a toss about Arsenal.
Are you comparing City's history to Arsenal?

As for money, Arsenal made our own money. Our squad wasn't assembled by oil money and neither did players flock to our club because of money. The owners that did buy our club did so because of our titles and established pedigree in the league and the same for sponsors. All our feats and winning trophies till 2004 were done without oil money. Unlike City who flirted with relegation season in season out and without this cash you would be sitting in the championship right now. Speaking of owners, I am unsure why you keep blabbering and blubbering about Arsenal's owners when I actually agreed with you that because of our owners and manager we have no aspirations. And which doesn't detract anyone of the fact that players like Aguero would have had a much larger trophy cabinet in Madrid/Barca or Munich. He still would have won the league title at those clubs, more than he did at City, and CL to boot. Ofcourse, those three clubs would never have offered the ridiculous money he is on at City.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Are you comparing City's history to Arsenal?

As for money, Arsenal made our own money. Our squad wasn't assembled by oil money and neither did players flock to our club because of money. The owners that did buy our club did so because of our titles and established pedigree in the league and the same for sponsors. All our feats and winning trophies till 2004 were done without oil money. Unlike City who flirted with relegation season in season out and without this cash you would be sitting in the championship right now. Speaking of owners, I am unsure why you keep blabbering and blubbering about Arsenal's owners when I actually agreed with you that because of our owners and manager we have no aspirations. And which doesn't detract anyone of the fact that players like Aguero would have had a much larger trophy cabinet in Madrid/Barca or Munich. He still would have won the league title at those clubs, more than he did at City, and CL to boot. Ofcourse, those three clubs would never have offered the ridiculous money he is on at City.
Yeah, because Barca and Real don't pay any of their players any more than City pay theirs - did you actually say that or were you on drugs when you posted it?

As for Arsenal, you can't know much about their history if you're claiming they've never benefitted from a rich benefactor. Danny Fiszman must be spinning in his grave after reading that. I'll also point out that Arsenal remain the only club in English football to get into the top flight without earning it on merit:nono:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think while the thread might come over as bitter, you do have to ask questions about why aguero wouldnt have pushed to join one of the worlds elite sides like real, Barca or Bayern, where he would have had the opportunity to prove himself as a footballing great. As it stands he's a city legend but that's about it and he won't be talked about when he retires compared to someone like ibrah who is an absolute legend of football. Aguero could have had a much better career with his ability, clearly he's money driven above all else which is abit of a shame.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I think while the thread might come over as bitter, you do have to ask questions about why aguero wouldnt have pushed to join one of the worlds elite sides like real, Barca or Bayern, where he would have had the opportunity to prove himself as a footballing great. As it stands he's a city legend but that's about it and he won't be talked about when he retires compared to someone like ibrah who is an absolute legend of football. Aguero could have had a much better career with his ability, clearly he's money driven above all else which is abit of a shame.
Rumours surface every year about a move to Real but people forget that he played for Atletico before signing for City and it could just be that he wouldn't entertain a move to Real as a result. Barca is obviously a different matter. As for Bayern, well plenty of people keep saying it's a one team league over there and in any case, I don't think Aguero has ever been linked to a move over there. In fact, despite Bayern's status, when was the last time a top player in the English League was lured over to them?

People seem to think that because he's South American, he would automatically prefer to play in Spain at one of the big two but he's never given that impression and he seems happy enough in Manchester. Sure, the money helps but he made a point when he signed that the much maligned Manchester weather didn't bother him one bit and, unlike a lot of players from that part of the world, he wasn't arsed about sunnier climes. He's also got his mates like Zabaleta here as well.

Mister_Stubbs

Rumours surface every year about a move to Real but people forget that he played for Atletico before signing for City and it could just be that he wouldn't entertain a move to Real as a result. Barca is obviously a different matter. As for Bayern, well plenty of people keep saying it's a one team league over there and in any case, I don't think Aguero has ever been linked to a move over there. In fact, despite Bayern's status, when was the last time a top player in the English League was lured over to them?

People seem to think that because he's South American, he would automatically prefer to play in Spain at one of the big two but he's never given that impression and he seems happy enough in Manchester. Sure, the money helps but he made a point when he signed that the much maligned Manchester weather didn't bother him one bit and, unlike a lot of players from that part of the world, he wasn't arsed about sunnier climes. He's also got his mates like Zabaleta here as well.
Nonsense, Sergio Aguero doesn't strike me as a "loyal" type of footballer.. after all he moved to City on the basis of a huge sum of money. The fact people think just because he used to play for Atletico (as did DDG and still everyone said he'd go to Real) wouldn't enterain the idea of joining Real who a) could offer an even bigger contract, b) even more chance of winning medals and c) are a much bigger club than City is just a pipe dream I'm afraid.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Nonsense, Sergio Aguero doesn't strike me as a "loyal" type of footballer.. after all he moved to City on the basis of a huge sum of money. The fact people think just because he used to play for Atletico (as did DDG and still everyone said he'd go to Real) wouldn't enterain the idea of joining Real who a) could offer an even bigger contract, b) even more chance of winning medals and c) are a much bigger club than City is just a pipe dream I'm afraid.
Well I never said it was a definite and it could indeed be bollocks - unless you or I know Aguero personally then we can't say for sure either way. As for De Gea, well he very nearly ended up at Real of course but he doesn't give the impression as someone that was ever desperate to make that move.

Mister_Stubbs

Well I never said it was a definite and it could indeed be bollocks - unless you or I know Aguero personally then we can't say for sure either way. As for De Gea, well he very nearly ended up at Real of course but he doesn't give the impression as someone that was ever desperate to make that move.
I know but I'm just stating that unfortunately as fans of our clubs we like to think players are loyal and wouldn't entertain moving to rivals etc but in the footballing world I wouldn't imagine Sergio, David (who unlike Sergio is by all accounts a Atletico fan and was still ready to move to Real) would care to much about their past employees and go where the money, chance of winning titles are.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I know but I'm just stating that unfortunately as fans of our clubs we like to think players are loyal and wouldn't entertain moving to rivals etc but in the footballing world I wouldn't imagine Sergio, David (who unlike Sergio is by all accounts a Atletico fan and was still ready to move to Real) would care to much about their past employees and go where the money, chance of winning titles are.
Absolutely mate and I agree 100% about the loyalty thing. There's very little left in football these days and the best we can realistically hope for as fans is that whoever plays for our clubs puts the requisite amount of effort in throughout the duration of their stay.

Mister_Stubbs

Absolutely mate and I agree 100% about the loyalty thing. There's very little left in football these days and the best we can realistically hope for as fans is that whoever plays for our clubs puts the requisite amount of effort in throughout the duration of their stay.
Agreed, I think the likes of Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, John Terry etc are a thing of the past now and as fans all we can do is hope that whilst a player is representing a club who as fans have an unconditional love for put in 100% every time they are on the pitch and promote the club in the right way when off it.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
**-gu-*
Yeah, because Barca and Real don't pay any of their players any more than City pay theirs - did you actually say that or were you on drugs when you posted it?

As for Arsenal, you can't know much about their history if you're claiming they've never benefitted from a rich benefactor. Danny Fiszman must be spinning in his grave after reading that. I'll also point out that Arsenal remain the only club in English football to get into the top flight without earning it on merit:nono:
Every club has had a rich benefactor, otherwise noone would be able to afford buying clubs :houllier:

The difference is, not every club gets a benefactor worth tens of billions of dollars. Top players would have always come to Arsenal regardless of Usmanov or Stan or whoever was incharge and at worst we would be 5-th or 6-th and still be one of the biggest clubs in the world and the tag that has been EARNT without ridiculous amount of oil money. Even United, who were always accused by everyone of being ''rich'' earnt it by winning titles and creating their brand. Which cannot be said of City, you'd be battling relegation if not outright relegated. Barca pay Messi, Suarez and Neymar more than Aguero, three fit guys and the best players right now and its hard to argue against that. Aguero is only at City because no big club would be insane enough to pay 220,000 for a crock. If he was fit he'd easily command more wages and win the obligatory league title at other big clubs and not only get a chance to win the CL but might actually win it, which he won't do at City. Hence the entire comment about him wasting his career at a plastic club. No point bringing Arsenal in, because unlike you I am not a deluded blind fan, I realise our owners and managers have no aspirations hence I am not surprised anymore when our big players leave our club.

I am not the one on drugs, it seems like you confused your reflection in the mirror for me.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
**-gu-*

Every club has had a rich benefactor, otherwise noone would be able to afford buying clubs :houllier:

The difference is, not every club gets a benefactor worth tens of billions of dollars. Top players would have always come to Arsenal regardless of Usmanov or Stan or whoever was incharge and at worst we would be 5-th or 6-th and still be one of the biggest clubs in the world and the tag that has been EARNT without ridiculous amount of oil money. Even United, who were always accused by everyone of being ''rich'' earnt it by winning titles and creating their brand. Which cannot be said of City, you'd be battling relegation if not outright relegated. Barca pay Messi, Suarez and Neymar more than Aguero, three fit guys and the best players right now and its hard to argue against that. Aguero is only at City because no big club would be insane enough to pay 220,000 for a crock. If he was fit he'd easily command more wages and win the obligatory league title at other big clubs and not only get a chance to win the CL but might actually win it, which he won't do at City. Hence the entire comment about him wasting his career at a plastic club. No point bringing Arsenal in, because unlike you I am not a deluded blind fan, I realise our owners and managers have no aspirations hence I am not surprised anymore when our big players leave our club.

I am not the one on drugs, it seems like you confused your reflection in the mirror for me.
You clearly know very little about Arsenal's history don't you? You claim that the money only came in after you'd established a pedigree of winning trophies yet you lured what at the time was the greatest manager in English football in Herbert Chapman by offering to double what he was earning at Huddersfield Town - who at the time were the best team in England by a mile - before you'd even won a single trophy so you're talking utter bollocks. Before that you were a joke of a club with far less pedigree than City pre-Mansour. Without him, we might well be flirting with relegation or worse but we'd still exist as a club. Arsenal, on the other hand, have already gone out of business once in your history due to total mismanagement of the club, and were only resurrected as a result of a rich benefactor coming in and chucking money at it.

To be honest, this discussion is going off topic so I'm not going to continue it on here. If you want to carry on talking about it, take it to PM or discuss it over a pint with me when we play at your place later in the season....that's assuming you're a match-going fan of course.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
You clearly know very little about Arsenal's history don't you? You claim that the money only came in after you'd established a pedigree of winning trophies yet you lured what at the time was the greatest manager in English football in Herbert Chapman by offering to double what he was earning at Huddersfield Town - who at the time were the best team in England by a mile - before you'd even won a single trophy so you're talking utter bollocks. Before that you were a joke of a club with far less pedigree than City pre-Mansour. Without him, we might well be flirting with relegation or worse but we'd still exist as a club. Arsenal, on the other hand, have already gone out of business once in your history due to total mismanagement of the club, and were only resurrected as a result of a rich benefactor coming in and chucking money at it.

To be honest, this discussion is going off topic so I'm not going to continue it on here. If you want to carry on talking about it, take it to PM or discuss it over a pint with me when we play at your place later in the season....that's assuming you're a match-going fan of course.
There is no point discussing with a fan who thinks City's stars have not wasted their career at a plastic club. Your owners have changed the entire area around the stadium, made facilities worth tens of millions, brought stars in at prices and wages for players not seen before and your rebuttal is we doubled our offer for a manager?:lol: What City have done with money there is no precedent. It makes Roman's spending at Chelsea look modest.

And, pal, I was match going fan for over a decade. I also used to visit your empty ground before it started filling up with tourists (and yes yes Arsenal are worse). I don't live in UK anymore since Brexit so I am afraid we won't be meeting anytime soon.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
**-gu-*

That's exactly the mindset that leaves you with Giroud upfront. Aguero has played 150 PL games between joining and the end of the 15/16, that's 30 games a season on average in a 38 game season. When you've got a player who scores goals faster than anybody in the league per minutes on the pitch you absolutely pay that kind of money. I offer you Aguero now for £38m and £220k a week and you say no? Behave. City made an excellent investment in Aguero, and we could still get our money back on him even now, the crock that he is.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
There is no point discussing with a fan who thinks City's stars have not wasted their career at a plastic club. Your owners have changed the entire area around the stadium, made facilities worth tens of millions, brought stars in at prices and wages for players not seen before and your rebuttal is we doubled our offer for a manager?:lol: What City have done with money there is no precedent. It makes Roman's spending at Chelsea look modest.

And, pal, I was match going fan for over a decade. I also used to visit your empty ground before it started filling up with tourists (and yes yes Arsenal are worse). I don't live in UK anymore since Brexit so I am afraid we won't be meeting anytime soon.
Quality comeback that. I really have no idea how I can compete with such an intelligent response.

It's all relative and the fact is that football has changed beyond all recognition since the 1920's but what you can't escape from is that back then you ruined the best team in England because you had more money than them but far less success. These days there's so much money in football, especially English football, that ever more richer people are getting involved. Who knows, one day Arsenal may get someone investing more money in them than City have and you might be taking our players instead. If it happens then so be it - I wouldn't be half as bitter about it as you are. Then again, being a football fan has never just been about what happens on the pitch for me - there's a lot more to it than that.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Quality comeback that. I really have no idea how I can compete with such an intelligent response.

It's all relative and the fact is that football has changed beyond all recognition since the 1920's but what you can't escape from is that back then you ruined the best team in England because you had more money than them but far less success. These days there's so much money in football, especially English football, that ever more richer people are getting involved. Who knows, one day Arsenal may get someone investing more money in them than City have and you might be taking our players instead. If it happens then so be it - I wouldn't be half as bitter about it as you are. Then again, being a football fan has never just been about what happens on the pitch for me - there's a lot more to it than that.
How am I bitter when I am bashing my own team due to our own faults without blaming City for them?:houllier:

It seems like we won't agree. No hard feelings, even though the debate got a little heated.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
That's exactly the mindset that leaves you with Giroud upfront. Aguero has played 150 PL games between joining and the end of the 15/16, that's 30 games a season on average in a 38 game season. When you've got a player who scores goals faster than anybody in the league per minutes on the pitch you absolutely pay that kind of money. I offer you Aguero now for £38m and £220k a week and you say no? Behave. City made an excellent investment in Aguero, and we could still get our money back on him even now, the crock that he is.
City have an excellent player, but one who could have achieved more success at Madrid/Barca/Munich considering his talent was my original point.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
How am I bitter when I am bashing my own team due to our own faults without blaming City for them?:houllier:

It seems like we won't agree. No hard feelings, even though the debate got a little heated.
Fair enough - no point in carrying it on. I tend to get a little too prickly at times about the no history argument.

For what it's worth, I do have a fair bit of empathy for Arsenal fans with what's been going on at the club.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
City have an excellent player, but one who could have achieved more success at Madrid/Barca/Munich considering his talent was my original point.
Any player not at those clubs would also achieve more success at each of them too, given they're the 3 teams in the world currently most likely to win the CL. What I read was that nobody else is crazy enough to pay Aguero £200k+ a week beyond City, which is madness in my view. Top clubs would pay that even now, nevermind over the last 5 years in his best years.

Anyway, I'm not one for getting drawn into long exchanges, particularly with Arsenals fans on United forums. So let's just accept Aguero as one of the best strikers in the world and move on.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I'm not sure why so much of the argument that Aguero should have left City seems to be based on the fact he's never won the Champions' League with us.

Ibrahimovic probably never will, Cannavaro never won it, Ronaldo never won it, Van Nistlerooy never won it and neither did Pires or Vieira. Juventus would have to win it this year for Buffon or Chiellini to add it to their honours lists.

Aguero's completed a clean sweep of English trophies, he'll leave City as our all-time top scorer and he'll leave the Premier League as one of its greatest ever strikers - and perhaps as the scorer of the most important goal in the competition's history. It's more than some players achieve in their lifetimes, and he'll be happy with that.

namco

I'm not sure why so much of the argument that Aguero should have left City seems to be based on the fact he's never won the Champions' League with us.

Ibrahimovic probably never will, Cannavaro never won it, Ronaldo never won it, Van Nistlerooy never won it and neither did Pires or Vieira. Juventus would have to win it this year for Buffon or Chiellini to add it to their honours lists.

Aguero's completed a clean sweep of English trophies, he'll leave City as our all-time top scorer and he'll leave the Premier League as one of its greatest ever strikers - and perhaps as the scorer of the most important goal in the competition's history. It's more than some players achieve in their lifetimes, and he'll be happy with that.
The players you've mentioned were all playing at big clubs though. At their career ends they may not have a huge amount of medals but at least they can say they played for 1 of the footballing giants. Many of these players also played for these clubs on much less money (in real terms) than Aguero is making at City.

It may be the case that Aguero thought that with Mansour's level of spending, world domination wasn't that far away. This hasn't happened now though & the ship has sailed.

When he retires all he will have to look back on is the Aguero moment. This only really means anything to City fans though & has little interest to fans of other clubs & leagues.

Verbalkint

Toure and Kompany are already as good as gone. A replacement for current Toure is just about any decent CM and current Kompany is anyone with 2 legs. Merlin will need replacing but we have plenty of young attacking midfielders who hopefully one of whom will make the grade. Kun is the key, Iheanacho looks like he may be good enough to match his goals but something about him strikes me as he will never make it as a world class player.
Yeah Iheanacho looks very good though. I hope he fulfills his potential.

Can you give me some names of your attacking midfielders? I's not sure at this point and won't mind looking some of them up. Thanks :)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah Iheanacho looks very good though. I hope he fulfills his potential.

Can you give me some names of your attacking midfielders? I's not sure at this point and won't mind looking some of them up. Thanks :)
In the first team alone theres Jesus, Sterling, Sane who can play there, than theres Patrick Roberts at Celtic, Zinchenko who is another signing. Our youth team has some top talent too but whether they'll make the breakthrough or not remains to be seen. I'm cautiously confident Brahim Diaz, Bersant Celina, Man Utd Garcia (more a no.8) and Oliver Ntcham can become premier league standard players, how many of them will make it at top teams I really don't know tbh. Diaz looks the real deal from what I've watched of him.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
In the first team alone theres Jesus, Sterling, Sane who can play there, than theres Patrick Roberts at Celtic, Zinchenko who is another signing. Our youth team has some top talent too but whether they'll make the breakthrough or not remains to be seen. I'm cautiously confident Brahim Diaz, Bersant Celina, Man Utd Garcia (more a no.8) and Oliver Ntcham can become premier league standard players, how many of them will make it at top teams I really don't know tbh. Diaz looks the real deal from what I've watched of him.
Jadon Sancho and Phil Foden are top prospects also.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
This is gonna be one of those stories where the press get a little giddy and recycle dozens of quotes because they think they've got a big scoop. It happened when Pep said he was "in the process of beginning his goodbyes" - all gone quiet on that front now and this will too. Pep likes Aguero, Aguero's said he's happy here. He'll be here until his contract ends and before he goes he'll become our top goalscorer of all time. Easy enough.

Walters_19_MuFc

Never thought I'd see the day when Aguero was dropped, especially as he's around his peak.

If he doesn't play, then I'm sure he won't be sure of offers in the Summer.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
And there we have it:

“There is no vagueness about our position. We want Sergio to stay.

“Pep has repeatedly said he is an important player for us, and if Sergio is saying it is down to the club, well the club really wants him to stay.

“No-one here wants him to leave, and Pep has been explicit about that.”

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
He'll probably leave in the summer. There was something obviously missing in Aguero's performances from Pep's perspective and Pep was making noises about that before Jesus came in. Jesus coming in and doing exactly what Pep wants has probably reinforced his opinion.

As deluded Klopp is and as stubborn Pep is, I admire the fact that they are ready to sacrifice players like Sturridge and Aguero if they think it will make their team better as a unit, even both players are brilliant. I personally disagree on the Aguero call with Pep but I am not paid to be a football manager so what do I know.

Omar Little

Holy shit! Aguero is back-up? The best player in the history of their club. His goals were a massive factor in their (moderate) success, one of the most lethal strikers on the planet, is back-up? Wow!

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I don't see why they cant play with both of them. Jesus infront of Aguero with De Bruyne/Silva/Sterling/Sane either side. Aguero has played behind Dzeko and Negredo before so it can be done.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Holy shit! Aguero is back-up? The best player in the history of their club. His goals were a massive factor in their (moderate) success, one of the most lethal strikers on the planet, is back-up? Wow!
You could say the same about Rooney. Obviously Aguero hasn't declined as pathetically as our talisman, but he's nowhere near the player he was a few years ago.

Theonas

Scout
Something similar happened with us with Van Nistelrooy if you remember. He clearly was one of the best strikers in our history, yet it became clear that the team functioned better with Saha and later on Tevez. What they brought to the team in terms of overall fluidity outweighed their goal ratio inferiority. Just because someone is brilliant at a specific part of the game does not mean they will fit into every style. We can just hope they don't go on to achieve the same success we did in that period.