Athletics World Championships

massi83

Oh, look at that. A racer from oil country breaks the rules but somehow isn't disqualified. Is Norway worse than Qatar?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Loved the reaction of the American girl after winning the 100m. Properly stunned for a good 10 mins.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Loved the reaction of the American girl after winning the 100m. Properly stunned for a good 10 mins.
That was pretty amazing considering what Chari Richardson’s been through. Nice to know you can still run fast on the ganja!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Super Wednesday tomorrow with the men's 1500m and 400m hurdles. You won't want to miss it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It was wasn't it. And because she made such a poor start in the heats, she was out in lane 9. I was watching the 2 Jamaican sprinters and the English one and nearly missed the USA sprinter. As you say, her face with her mouth wide open in amazement. Fantastic run.

LDUred

European record (44.26) for Matt Hudson-Smith in the first semi final.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Two guys doing their hammy in the same 400m SF heat. Price you pay for not warming up properly.

Eric_the_Red99

The BBC’s coverage of athletics is infuriating. Their actual coverage of the action is excellent, and Andrew Cotter is one of the very best commentators in any sport.

But they always cut away from the live athletics (like the four-way fight in the high jump right now) for inane pointless chatter in the studio. Then after they’ll show a recording of the stuff they missed covering live.

The interviews are always a waste of time as well.

“So what was your strategy in that race?”

“I tried to run fast.”

“Do you think you’ll win the final?”

“Maybe yeah.”

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Last time Ireland won a medal at a world championship in a sprint distance was in 1932. So the hype is understandable. She seems like the real deal.
She's got a good chance. One of 5 in the mix for medals. I think it'll be pretty tight between 2nd to 5th. She's got the most room for improvement amongst that group - would be a good bet for gold in the Olympics next year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
She's got a good chance. One of 5 in the mix for medals. I think it'll be pretty tight between 2nd to 5th. She's got the most room for improvement amongst that group - would be a good bet for gold in the Olympics next year.
One of our ex-international sprinters, who has a tendency to be quite negative about our athletics prospects, said she could have an “Usain Bolt like effect on woman’s sport”. So no pressure then! I don’t know anything about this sport but she does seem an unusual specimen when you watch her run. Seems crazy tall and powerful compared to the other runners. I’d say her stride length is enormous.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One of our ex-international sprinters, who has a tendency to be quite negative about our athletics prospects, said she could have an “Usain Bolt like effect on woman’s sport”. So no pressure then! I don’t know anything about this sport but she does seem an unusual specimen when you watch her run. Seems crazy tall and powerful compared to the other runners. I’d say her stride length is enormous.
That leggy build is very suited to the demands of 400m, particularly in the latter half of the race where, as we saw in the semi-final, runners' cadence and stride length drops, but she continues to gobble up the ground. Serious potential given most 400m runners take years to develop the capacity to sustain the speed endurance required. I suspect she'll have a breakthrough moment at some stage where she goes sub-49 and blows away the competition. Her and McLaughlin both have the potential to challenge Koch's world record from the '80s.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The BBC’s coverage of athletics is infuriating. Their actual coverage of the action is excellent, and Andrew Cotter is one of the very best commentators in any sport.

But they always cut away from the live athletics (like the four-way fight in the high jump right now) for inane pointless chatter in the studio. Then after they’ll show a recording of the stuff they missed covering live.
Yeah, they've had some great field contests, but failed to let the tension build and instead, later on, have just quickly rattled through all the final throws/jumps.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That leggy build is very suited to the demands of 400m, particularly in the latter half of the race where, as we saw in the semi-final, runners' cadence and stride length drops, but she continues to gobble up the ground. Serious potential given most 400m runners take years to develop the capacity to sustain the speed endurance required. I suspect she'll have a breakthrough moment at some stage where she goes sub-49 and blows away the competition. Her and McLaughlin both have the potential to challenge Koch's world record from the '80s.
Wow. Amazing. Thanks for the insights.

ZupZup

Unbelievable race from Josh Kerr! Wasn’t sure he’d have the legs in the final straight… some effort that.

hodgey123

That was great to watch! The Norwegian looked flabbergasted how he lost again.

Eric_the_Red99

Wow, what a run. Perfect race from Kerr. This is the new golden age of British middle distance running. Hodgkinson and Muir on the women’s side too.

JuriM

I dislike the young Ingebritsen for his overly disrespectful demeanor, so kudos to Kerr.

Our Rasmus Mägi in 400 hurdles final later.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Yeah these deals in the jumping disciplines are boooring.
I want them to nuke it out until someone makes it.

massi83

Let's hope there is some justice in the next one, and the rule-breaker loses