Athletics World Championships

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Well for me the whole idea of sport is to have a champion. Sharing titles is rubbish
Both of them got world leading heights. Literally the pinnacle of their sport this year. The Australian reached a height she’d never achieved before. If they keep going they get tired and won’t be able to do anything.

Sharing the title is fine. Get over it, they both did fantastic.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Both of them got world leading heights. Literally the pinnacle of their sport this year. The Australian reached a height she’d never achieved before. If they keep going they get tired and won’t be able to do anything.

Next time a CL or WC final is level after extra time both teams should just agree to share the title.

Eric_the_Red99

Yeah, that’s how I feel too. The way of breaking ties in vertical jumping just turns it into an endurance competition, which I feel is against the spirit of the event. It’s pretty rare for two or more athletes to be so evenly matched like this - it’s not like ties for medals happen all the time.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
But in what way. It’s sport in the end. In any individual sport if you let athletes decide this then they will chose to do this.
Football is a team sport pitting them against other teams.

Pole vault is solely individual with the goal to achieve the best height you can yourself. You often see vaulters who have already won going for higher heights simply for their own gain.

People getting upset about two athletes agreeing to share the gold after achieving the best they can is weird in my opinion. They both tried to get 4.95m 3 times. They both failed 3 times.

Not all sports are the same. Why isn’t football like ice hockey where you cant draw a game? It just isn’t.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Pole vault is solely individual with the goal to achieve the best height you can yourself. You often see vaulters who have already won going for higher heights simply for their own gain.

People getting upset about two athletes agreeing to share the gold after achieving the best they can is weird in my opinion. They both tried to get 4.95m 3 times. They both failed 3 times.

Not all sports are the same. Why isn’t football like ice hockey where you cant draw a game? It just isn’t.

But most individual sport also have tiebreakers. Imagine if tennis or golf players just started deciding that they would just rather take a gold than play a tiebreaker. If the problem is with the system then the sporting body should change the rules and declare it an automatic tie. I would live with that but Athletes themselves just talking and deciding is rubbish

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
But most individual sport also have tiebreakers. Imagine if tennis or golf players just started deciding that they would just rather take a gold than play a tiebreaker. If the problem is with the system then the sporting body should change the rules and declare it an automatic tie. I would live with that but Athletes themselves just talking and deciding is rubbish
You know what? You should write a strongly worded letter to the governing body about this.

In the meantime everyone will go about their day and the world champions will enjoy their medals and achievements which should be applauded and appreciated.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You know what? You should write a strongly worded letter to the governing body about this.

In the meantime everyone will go about their day and the world champions will enjoy their medals and achievements which should be applauded and appreciated.

What an utterly bizarre reply. Why not shut down the whole forum and we should all write strongly worded emails to United about everything

Samid

Then you do a sudden death at the previous high.

In football finals there is only one winner. In ice hockey finals there is only one winner. In golf there is only one winner. In tennis there is only one winner.

Imagine if the refs in those sports said "we can continue or you two can share the win if you want". Utterly baffling.

There is absolutely no reason for pole vaulters or high jumpers to not have a compulsory sudden death or tiebreaker.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
What an utterly bizarre reply. Why not shut down the whole forum and we should all write strongly worded emails to United about everything
It’s not a bizarre reply, I’m making it obvious that I just disagree with your opinion that the IAAF rules allowing this isn’t ‘embarrassing’ as you said.

This boils down to what is allowed within the sport. All sports are different. Sharing the title here is allowed, rather than appreciating what these women have achieved both for their countries but also themselves, you’d would rather moan about the title being shared. It’s just weird.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
There is absolutely no reason for pole vaulters or high jumpers to not have a compulsory sudden death or tiebreaker.
It’s allowed within IAAF rules if the athletes agree. They did. So it’s shared.

You might not like it, but it happened. *shrug* I thought they both did great. All credit to them.

Samid

It’s allowed within IAAF rules if the athletes agree. They did. So it’s shared.

You might not like it, but it happened. *shrug* I thought they both did great. All credit to them.
Camy's dream final

All finalists clear the starting height. Then they all deliberately fail in the next round.

What next?

Everyone shares gold because IAAF rules! They all did great! All credit to them!

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Camy's dream final

All finalists clear the starting height. Then they all deliberately fail in the next round.

What next?

Everyone shares gold because IAAF rules! They all did great! All credit to them!
Fantastically facetious.

Not sure why both of you are getting so arsey about all this. I didn’t realise two athletes sharing a medal could do this to people.

LDUred

I always felt that Tamberi and Barshim sharing gold was mostly to do with the context of COVID. It had been an utterly depressing time and people just wanted a release from the general turmoil. That was partly why it was such an incredible moment of sportsmanship from both athletes.

I think the context was part of the reason why the gold was shared but Tamberi and Barshim are close friends so that also played a part.

For me it was an iconic Olympic moment but should have just been a one off. People want to see an outright winner.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ingebrigtsen :( Beaten again...

Wonder what causes this, of course you can't compare performances at different settings but he runs over a second slower than his golden performance in Tokyo, even Kerr as the winner yesterday ran slower than his bronze medal in Tokyo. Doesn't feel like Ingebrigtsen to start feeling complacent after success if you look at the online content he puts out about his training habits, but this is unusual from someone who was only supposed to get better.

Not seen a reaction from him yet but hopefully he'll be at his best in Paris next summer.

Samid

Fantastically facetious.

Not sure why both of you are getting so arsey about all this. I didn’t realise two athletes sharing a medal could do this to people.
Please do forgive us for wanting elite sporting events to only have one winner.

Samid

Wonder what causes this, of course you can't compare performances at different settings but he runs over a second slower than his golden performance in Tokyo, even Kerr as the winner yesterday ran slower than his bronze medal in Tokyo. Doesn't feel like Ingebrigtsen to start feeling complacent after success if you look at the online content he puts out about his training habits, but this is unusual from someone who was only supposed to get better.

Not seen a reaction from him yet but hopefully he'll be at his best in Paris next summer.
His longstanding feud with his father is the obvious reason. He kept Jakob in check. Same father has trained a novice from 3.36 to 3.29 and a championship medal within a few months.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
His longstanding feud with his father is the obvious reason. He kept Jakob in check. Same father has trained a novice from 3.36 to 3.29 and a championship medal within a few months.
Cheers, somehow wasn't aware of that. The drop-off almost perfectly coincides with the break-up, it seems yeah. Surely he's smart enough to know what it takes for him to perform at the highest level again then, but to be seen whether he can sacrifice all other things for it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Just tactics, with the caveat that he said last night he wasn't in 100% shape because of a cold, which is unfortunate timing.

He's run 3.27 twice already this summer which is a level that nobody else in the field can match. There's no complacency as he's clearly in his best ever shape and I wouldn't put it past him squeezing past El Guerrouj's record later this summer or next year (shoes giving an edge obviously).

But he's lost out on gold twice now against the same tactics. There's a reason Josh Kerr dropped distance to 800m in recent races to focus on his speed work - because he knew that if he could keep in touch with Ingebrigtsen with 200m to go, he had the raw speed to take him from there. The problem last night was the second lap was quite slow which turned the overall race into a shorter one that worked against the Norwegian's strengths. I reckon his optimal tactics have to be to go out hard at 3.27 pace and try and burn everybody off gradually.

Samid

Just tactics, with the caveat that he said last night he wasn't in 100% shape because of a cold, which is unfortunate timing.

He's run 3.27 twice already this summer which is a level that nobody else in the field can match. There's no complacency as he's clearly in his best ever shape and I wouldn't put it past him squeezing past El Guerrouj's record later this summer or next year (shoes giving an edge obviously).

But he's lost out on gold twice now against the same tactics. There's a reason Josh Kerr dropped distance to 800m in recent races to focus on his speed work - because he knew that if he could keep in touch with Ingebrigtsen with 200m to go, he had the raw speed to take him from there. The problem last night was the second lap was quite slow which turned the overall race into a shorter one that worked against the Norwegian's strengths. I reckon his optimal tactics have to be to go out hard at 3.27 pace and try and burn everybody off gradually.
Wouldn't really compare the championships with other events. He's the best when he has rabbits, he evidently isn't the best when he has to set the pace himself.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Wouldn't really compare the championships with other events. He's the best when he has rabbits, he evidently isn't the best when he has to set the pace himself.
Well yes that's tactics isn't it? He's a 1500/5000 type turning his race into a 200m blast against 800/1500 types who can also run 3.29. El Guerrouj had the same slow-pace problem when he lost the Sydney Olympic 1500m gold..

NotThatSoph

Well yes that's tactics isn't it? He's a 1500/5000 type turning his race into a 200m blast against 800/1500 types who can also run 3.29. El Guerrouj had the same slow-pace problem when he lost the Sydney Olympic 1500m gold..
Unlike the last WC, I think the tactics were correct this time. The second round just had to be faster, and he didn't have the motor last night.

croadyman

Gutted for MHS he just took it out a fraction too hard and tied up so close to victory

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Content not available.
Oh weird, it's from The Netherlands but I'm not based there either.

Anyway it's the video of the athlete getting surprised by the mascotte behind the couch (sounds eh... well yeah), maybe you've seen it float around on other channels as well.

Eric_the_Red99

Nice evening jog in the 800m semi-final for Keely. If anyone doesn't know, Keely Hodgkinson and Ella Toone were school mates in Tyldesley. Hopefully Keely can go one better than her friend and become a world champion on Sunday.

croadyman

Nice evening jog in the 800m semi-final for Keely. If anyone doesn't know, Keely Hodgkinson and Ella Toone were school mates in Tyldesley. Hopefully Keely can go one better than her friend and become a world champion on Sunday.

She will get the better of Moraa & Mu one day

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Jackson really unlucky not to get the 200m world record tonight. Flo Jo had the benefit of a nice following wind (plus everything else) and I imagine Jackson would’ve gone 21.2 with a similar breeze.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Hodgkinson is a top class 800m runner. So elegant but mentally very tough as well. The pictures last night showed she has lost quite a bit of weight. Mainly body fat by the looks of it. Something most female runners seem to have to do.