Aubameyang - yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would be unbelievable.
And not in the great way Van Persie was.

Andersons Dietician

Would rather have Lacazette
Agreed. He was a bit of a nightmare when we played them this year. He was a constant pain in the ass and a defensive weapon. I just recall him being everywhere.

I’ve always felt Auba was a bit hit and miss. Always scored goals but missed so many easy chances I was surprised he scored as much as he did.

WelshManc

To the people saying no, who would you have instead that will cost less than the £56m (not that I agree he'd cost that little) that has been reported?

Eric's Seagull

As long as his pace doesn't go for the next three years I think he would be a decent signing at £56m if that is correct but that is a big ask which probably wont happen so nay.

dogwithabone

Not sure why there seems so much reluctance to want him here. He scores goals, Martial and Rashford don’t.

Ballist1x

Swap him for Lukaku.

I'm pretty sure that's how our board thinks/operates these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric's Seagull

Not sure why there seems so much reluctance to want him here. He scores goals, Martial and Rashford don’t.
You made a fair point, although I think it may be that some people are concerned that his pace will go soon and we will sign another player from them who is coming to the later stage of his career who won't be as effective for us as he was for them.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd rather have pineapples on my pizza than signing a player who'll be on insanely high wages and is past his peak

flappyjay

There is nothing wrong with getting a new forward but not a 30 year old for a possible 70m. Who will also want a big long contract.

RyRoc

Just want to say those saying he relies on his pace are wrong. Used to think the same but having watched him the last 18 months , I would say about 2/3 of his goals max (out of 40 odd) were because of his pace. His main quality is getting goalscoring opportunities , he’s not the most clinical funnily enough but he’s outstanding at sniffing out chances. For example Lacazette is a better finisher but Lacazette can’t find the space in the box that Auba does.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he was realistically available, it would be a no-brainer IMV. Fantastic striker. I remember saying at the time we were linked with Morata and Lukaku that Aubameyang would be my preference. And he's shown he can score plenty in the league.

Lee565

Nay, why pay 60-70 million for Aubameyang when it would probably be feesable to get Vardy for half the money and he brings more qualities to the club that aubameyang doesn't have

ZLATAN9

If the club wants a player who is a laughing stock like Aubamayang then they might aswell sign me I'm 6 ft 15stone I like chinese and I'll do the same job as Aubamayang up front. Nothing but count my wages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwuk

If we were spending big £ on a old forward I’d rather Vardy who despite being unfashionable is a better player imo.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was kind of weird how arsenal seemed to get a free run at both. Would have loved for us to go for them a few years back
Probably because neither are that good. Similar(ish) level to Lukaku (all have their own strengths, naturally) but none are elite level.

Tel074

Anyone who thinks we are signing a 30 year old from Arsenal for £70 million should call their psychiatrist quickly.

It might not take 70 mil to get him . If we could get him for less would you still be calling your psychiatrist

RyRoc

Probably because neither are that good. Similar(ish) level to Lukaku (all have their own strengths, naturally) but none are elite level.
Lacazette was about to sign for Athletico before their transfer ban so not sure that’s accurate. Aubayameng will always score goals but questionable as to whether he does enough apart from score goals. Both a level above Lukaku though.

DWelbz19

Lacazette was about to sign for Athletico before their transfer ban so not sure that’s accurate. Aubayameng will always score goals but questionable as to whether he does enough apart from score goals. Both a level above Lukaku though.
What does (actually not) signing for Atletico have to do with anything?

Neither are a ‘level above’ - that’s absurd talk. And I don’t particularly rate Lukaku, either.

RyRoc

What does signing for Atletico have to do with anything?

Neither are a ‘level above’ - that’s absurd talk.
The poster before said there was a free hit for Arsenal to sign both when there wasn’t. Lacazette had a deal all but agreed with Atletico but it couldn’t go through because they had a transfer ban.

Lacazette all round game is better than Lukaku but both have a similarish record in front of goal and Aubameyang has finished as golden boot winner in both the Premier League and Bundesliga , don’t think it’s absurd at all to think they are a level above even if you don’t think United should sign either.

Yagami

Good post resistant
No thanks.

Lacazette is better. Reminds me of Tevez.

Dec9003

He'd be an upgrade on Lukaku, but an expensive upgrade.
I really like him as a player but I doubt we'd be able to reach an agreement with Arsenal regarding his value.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yes, but because we've had our fingers burnt with older players recently, and are now on some 'young players only' fixation, then it's unlikely.

But if we could get him for £50 m, on a lower risk 3 year deal, then we'll do well to better it, & £15 m or so is coming right back at us if they buy Zaha with the proceeds.

haram

Hell no. There is a reason why Lacazette won player of the year ahead of Aubameyang. The guy is vastly overrated.

You couldn’t possibly have seen him actually play last year if you think he has gone UP in value since Arsenal signed him.

beingshe7don

I wanted us to go for Aubameyang after we lost Ibra.... Figured that would also bring Mhiki's mojo back... only for him to go to Arsenal instead. At the age of 29/30, he did turn it on immediately and became joint top scorer in his first full PL season. I would take him if he was offered for 40m. The number being quoted in the press which I believe is 70m is way too much. I would rather have Martial go back to playing as a LF instead and compete for that position with Rashford. We do need a RW/ RF though that needs to come in.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, I've watched a lot of Arsenal and he's superb for them.
He's not though.

Goalscoring wise he did very well, but if he doesn't score he's totally invisible. Seems to barely get involved in play and it's like having 10 men on the pitch for them at times. Feck me the EL final with him and Ozil, Arsenal were basically starting with nine men.

He's got superb shooting technique (although he fecks up some easy chances) so scores some lovely goals, obviously has pace and is great at getting in behind .. but most of the time you'll struggle to realise he's even on the pitch. I guess if he's scoring goals people don't care about that.

I honestly don't think he's that much better than a player like Vardy. Similar attributes with Auba having better technique but doesn't work as hard off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.