Auction Draft QF2 : Cutch vs Isotope

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Cutch's Tactics
Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond

Personnel
A tribute to AC Milan and Italy, with a great dane between the sticks.

Not much to say that isn't already glaringly obvious. The best defence in the draft with 4 of the 5 being all time greats. The midfield consists of an AC Milan diamond, while the attack is made up of arguably the 2 greatest Italians of all time, both Balon D’or winners and World Cup legends.

Every player will be playing their usual game in a setup that suits them with personnel around them that they're familiar with.
  • Panucci and Maldini will bomb up and down the pitch and provide what is usually the main issue a diamond has, which is the lack of width.
  • Albertini will do a job similar to Andrea Pirlo, pulling the strings in midfield infront of the back 4, and has the hard working Gattuso and classy Seedorf around him to enable him to shine.
  • Kaka will play at the tip of the diamond and sometimes come in from the left hand side as he likes to do so.
  • Upfront are 2 very mobile strikers which is again important for a diamond to be fully functional. Roberto Baggio will be the classic no.10 and Paulo Rossi the classic no.9.

Tactics

Width
With both sides set up quite narrow, Panucci and Maldini will have a big part to play in getting forward to provide width in attacking areas. Seedorf comes into the side at the expense of Ambrosini and he will give the side more flexibility, being able to operate wide and in the middle. He will also offer more in the attacking third, linking up with the attack and looking to unleash his rocket of a shot.

In attack Kaka and Roberto Baggio will both look to link up and start attacks coming in from wide areas on both sides, with the former trying to evade the attentions of Rijkaard and the latter preferred to Crespo for his lower centre of gravity against Desailly and his ability to commit players and try and break the deadlock in what is expected to be a game of few goals. If my side went a goal up and remained that way until an hour in, Pirlo and Cafu would come on to tighten things up and remain in control of the game with Roberto Baggio having to reluctantly make way due to the TP restrictions.

Defending
Typically the defence will consist of 7 back and 3 up when Isotopes side is attacking. The back 4 will generally be compact, with the main threat from Savicevic and Del Piero/Villa tucking in rather than hugging the touchline. Seedorf and Gattuso in particular will be tenacious in winning the ball back and Albertini with his wonderful range of passing will be the man to start attacks, aiming for the feet of Roberto Baggio and Kaka, or set the 2 fullbacks off on runs forward.

The team will be wary of the threat some of Isotopes team offer shooting from distance so the defending will be on the front foot and certainly not backing off.

Crossing
With Desailly in the opposition likely to dominate aerially with his strength, and Crespo not playing for this very reason, crosses will be kept low with the predator Rossi using his movement and instincts to find space in the box to get on the end of them.

Overall
Isotope has a very good team, but all round I think mine has an edge in overall quality with club and international performers of the very highest pedigree. If my side can break the deadlock with Kaka and Baggio the 2 star creators on the pitch at the same time, and 1 of the best poachers of all time in Paulo Rossi ahead of them, i think the team is good enough to hold on (with the changes outlined above) to win this one 1-0.

TEAM CUTCH

Subs:
Cafu Panucci
Andrea Pirlo Albertini
Massimo Ambrosini
Hernan Crespo Baggio

TEAM ISOTOPE

Isotope's Tactics
The team has a balance of mean defence, powerful midfield, and creative skillful attack.

On defence, Baresi and Hierro are simply better than Cannavaro-Nesta. Just in terms of longevity at the very top level, and always recognized as the best. Compared them to Cannavaro, which his WOPTY award had a fingerprint of Sepp Blatter work, to big up his FIFA World Cup. They are sided by Benarrivo and Thuram, two of the best attacking fullbacks around.

To nullify Kaka, is the perfect DM of all-time in Desailly. This will surely circumcise 80% of their attack supply. Also when even Pirlo can be nullified by Ji Sung Park, of course Rijkaard can at least do the same work. That will guarantee a complete control of the game by Savicevic and Ballack to feed Papin and Del Piero. One is a legendary Serie A forward who have scored the most goals in Juventus history, and another is just a Ballon D'or winner.

Savicevic

Del Piero,

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Haven't fully read through everything yet but initial thought about Riijkard is I am surprised too see him in that position. Both sides look very defensively solid, so to me it seems hard to imagine how there will be a goal. But the Baggio Rossi combination could be fruitful.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I like that MF three of Isotope. Dessaily and Rjjkard will be crucial with all 3 of Kaka, Baggio and Seedorf attacking from deep at times.

crappycraperson

Scout
Haven't fully read through everything yet but initial thought about Riijkard is I am surprised too see him in that position. Both sides look very defensively solid, so to me it seems hard to imagine how there will be a goal. But the Baggio Rossi combination could be fruitful.
Rjjkard for Milan did go forward at times. I still would have positioned the MF like this-

---------Ballack--------
--Rijkard-------Dessaily-

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Pfffff... not sure I like the sacrifices Cutch has made to fit in Baggio, particularly with Kaká already there. Cafú gone for Panucci, Pirlo gone for Albertini, Gattuso suddenly looks unnecessary with no Pirlo, may as well retain Ambrosini instead... And I rate what Crespo could do up there.

It would be hard for either team to score, the defences are rock solid, but with those changes Cutch has lost out on some of the really key ingredients of one great Milan side while Iso has retained much of an even greater one. I expect that trident of Del Piero-Papin-Savicevic to find a goal, if only from range, likely from the "Del Piero zone".

Won't wait for subs, it's a tight game either way and on that start Iso hits first and shuts up shop nicely.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Rjjkard for Milan did go forward at times. I still would have positioned the MF like this-

---------Ballack--------
--Rijkard-------Dessaily-
I think that is what will happen in posession, certainly what would happen if Pirlo were around as Ballack would likely be committed to not giving him much time on the ball.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I like Isotopes team alot, very balanced and made some good tactical decisions in his team selection, structured and very tough to beat

Cutch has the familiarity factor even from the bench which will work in his favour, Paulo Rossi was an absolute goal machine but he is up against IMO the best defender ive seen in Baresi and Hierro who was no slough either

Very tough call but I went with cutch based on the familiarity factor with system and personel , I predict a 1-0 low scoring game

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Pfffff... not sure I like the sacrifices Cutch has made to fit in Baggio, particularly with Kaká already there. Cafú gone for Panucci, Pirlo gone for Albertini, Gattuso suddenly looks unnecessary with no Pirlo, may as well retain Ambrosini instead... And I rate what Crespo could do up there.

It would be hard for either team to score, the defences are rock solid, but with those changes Cutch has lost out on some of the really key ingredients of one great Milan side while Iso has retained much of an even greater one. I expect that trident of Del Piero-Papin-Savicevic to find a goal, if only from range, likely from the "Del Piero zone".

Won't wait for subs, it's a tight game either way and on that start Iso hits first and shuts up shop nicely.
This!

And I really really love Isotops's team. Brilliant.

Kazi

Wow, Isotope has improved his team much more than Cutch from the opening round. Going by the results I had with you two and the current score of this match, I guess it goes to prove that 'styles make fights'.

crappycraperson

Scout
Wow, Isotope has improved his team much more than Cutch from the opening round. Going by the results I had with you two and the current score of this match, I guess it goes to prove that 'styles make fights'.
Yeap, I said as much after Cutch's match that scope for improvement for him was much less. He has also made a mistake here trying to shoe horn Baggio. Pirlo is critical in Milan diamond set up for me.

I still expected him to win this after the draw and was surprised seeing Isotope's team. Seems like Del Piero is giving him as much votes as Rivaldo as well.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Substitutions
@Aldo, can you update OP please?

• Cafu comes on to take advantage of the space on the right hand side.
  • Pirlo comes on to take advantage of the space infront of the back 4 to dictate the pace of the game, with Gattuso protecting him from Rijkaard.
  • The strong running Crespo comes on to run at Hierro

Moby

Dick
Substitutions
@Aldo, can you update OP please?

• Cafu comes on to take advantage of the space on the right hand side.
  • Pirlo comes on to take advantage of the space infront of the back 4 to dictate the pace of the game, with Gattuso protecting him from Rijkaard.
  • The strong running Crespo comes on to run at Hierro
Done.

Cutch

Took a gamble with starting Baggio to try and force the initiative, but it looked in danger of backfiring, so back to the safer bet which is what i would have finished the game with anyway. The 3 that have come on look like they could have a massive part to play in this game looking at the way the opposition is lined up, with Cafu rampaging down the right in what looks a mismatch against the opposition fullback Benarrivo. Gattuso will be a big aid on this side also for Cafu to get forward and then defending against Del Piero, while he'll also be the trusted lieutenant of Pirlo.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Good subs from Cutch, I reckon. For my money there was something off about playing both Kaka and Baggio in those roles.

Actually, I wouldn't have cried murder if he'd subbed off Kaka - and put Baggio in the hole. But then again I would have tweaked that diamond somewhat to begin with. As it stands Kaka is clearly the more obvious choice. Besides...yeah, TP points...

Anyway, clearly a wise move to make those subs. Won't vote yet - will see how the discussion goes first.

Kazi

Was waiting for Cutch to make those subs, reckon there'll be a swing in votes now.

Moby

Dick
An advice to those using the sharemytactics.com website to draw formation. After getting the image, it is better to re-upload it on a regular image hosting website like imgur, as images from that site take ages to load.

Cutch

Good subs from Cutch, I reckon. For my money there was something off about playing both Kaka and Baggio in those roles.

Actually, I wouldn't have cried murder if he'd subbed off Kaka - and put Baggio in the hole. But then again I would have tweaked that diamond somewhat to begin with. As it stands Kaka is clearly the more obvious choice. Besides...yeah, TP points...

Anyway, clearly a wise move to make those subs. Won't vote yet - will see how the discussion goes first.
I thought the extra spark from Baggio and his ability to commit players would have made the difference in this one, but obviously had to weight that against what i would have lost which was admittedly significant. Having said that, i thought Panucci would have been the equal of Benarrivo that he was up against on that side, and that Albertini could have slotted in to do Pirlo's job with minimal fuss. With 3 unbelievable forwards on the pitch i thought i'd be then more likely to break the deadlock.

Anyway, took the feedback on board which seemed fair, so lets see if that makes any difference.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes...I agree on Albertini. He would have been able to fill that role - no question about that in my book. Still, I suppose one could argue that Pirlo is even better in terms of the playmaking aspect. But that wouldn't have bothered me, at least - I'd have bought Albertini in that role hook, line and sinker.

The reason I have a problem with Kaka and Baggio in the same set-up is that Kaka - and this is just my opinion, be it said - is more of a direct attacker than he is a playmaker. His dribbling and trickery - yes, his finishing too, I suppose - is more characteristic than his passing. He isn't a typical trequartista (or whatever term we choose) in that regard: With someone who's inclined to sit slightly deeper and is more of an orchestrator, you can easily have Baggio there as well - but for me Kaka and Baggio would infringe on each other's turfs a little too much. It looks like a too-many-cooks problem to me.

But, again - opinions.

And now it's all academic anyway.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I won't contribute much in this. I'm sorry for the other managers. Hence with the half arse OP writes up, compares to Cutch. Although I don't think mine is the best among others, I honestly think my team is the best to counter cutch's, and was surprised cutch didn't get Del Piero to replace P Rossi, hence my sneaky bid with the selling of highly rated Ferrara.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
An advice to those using the sharemytactics.com website to draw formation. After getting the image, it is better to re-upload it on a regular image hosting website like imgur, as images from that site take ages to load.
Good point. It's a bit of a distraction, actually. When you open the thread to get an idea of who's involved, you only see the first illustration. Some may even assume there's a more serious problem with the second one and move on without checking it further.

Cutch

I won't contribute much in this. I'm sorry for the other managers. Hence with the half arse OP writes up, compares to Cutch. Although I don't think mine is the best among others, I honestly think my team is the best to counter cutch's, and was surprised cutch didn't get Del Piero to replace P Rossi, hence my sneaky bid with the selling of highly rated Ferrara.
Paulo Rossi's the best striker on the pitch, no way would i have wanted to replace him.

Can you have Baggio in there for Kaka? Or is TP restricting you from doing that @Cutch
No, for Baggio to play it has to be Pirlo + a defender to miss out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah agree with Kaka's comment. I think he's more of finisher than playmaker. What's the opinion of Savicevic compared to Kaka? Savic really reminds me of Best, while Kaka as our Cantonal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What's the goalscoring rate of Rossi? And isn't he a poacher, as is Crespo ?

Cutch

Yes...I agree on Albertini. He would have been able to fill that role - no question about that in my book. Still, I suppose one could argue that Pirlo is even better in terms of the playmaking aspect. But that wouldn't have bothered me, at least - I'd have bought Albertini in that role hook, line and sinker.

The reason I have a problem with Kaka and Baggio in the same set-up is that Kaka - and this is just my opinion, be it said - is more of a direct attacker than he is a playmaker. His dribbling and trickery - yes, his finishing too, I suppose - is more characteristic than his passing. He isn't a typical trequartista (or whatever term we choose) in that regard: With someone who's inclined to sit slightly deeper and is more of an orchestrator, you can easily have Baggio there as well - but for me Kaka and Baggio would infringe on each other's turfs a little too much. It looks like a too-many-cooks problem to me.

But, again - opinions.

And now it's all academic anyway.
Its a big pitch out there mate. Think theres more than enough room for the 2 of them both to link up and run at players, and with a strong defence like Iso's the more players that can take on and beat defenders to make space the better.

As you say though, all academic now.

Cutch

What's the goalscoring rate of Rossi? And isn't he a poacher, as is Crespo ?
Nah, Rossi started off as a right winger and for Italy in the world cup he didnt play as an out and out striker but as an interchanging forward. His best qualities though was his goalscoring instinct.

Crespo certainly isn't a poacher, an all round excellent forward. One who could hold the ball up, run into channels, link up play with others, great pace and score goals. Probably underrated following his chelsea spell but class with Parma and Milan.