Auction Fantasy Draft

Pippa

@Annahnomoss

The most logical way to out-bid someone would be by tagging the person you out-bidded in the same post, because they are almost certainly interested in the player if they bidded. That way you don't need to crawl through the pages to find if you have been out-bidded or not.

I think that should be a rule as well. Your "out-bid" won't be valid if you don't tag the person who you out-bid.

Annahnomoss

@Annahnomoss

The most logical way to out-bid someone would be by tagging the person you out-bidded in the same post, because they are almost certainly interested in the player if they bidded. That way you don't need to crawl through the pages to find if you have been out-bidded or not.

I think that should be a rule as well. Your "out-bid" won't be valid if you don't tag the person who you out-bid.
Great point and will be a rule indeed.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Annahnomoss

I think the popular discuss was against positional order. ;)

I see it like AldoPaine18 and Pippa.

1. Snake order determined
2. Every manager nominates 2 Players for the pool.
3. Bidding starts. Players can bid for as many players they like.
4. Winners announced.
5. Process repeated for 12 times.

Basic skeleton as above. Meat to be added...

Moby

Dick
Yeah and whoever nominates the player gets him if no one bids on him.

Repeat it till everyone has 12 players in the squad, and whoever completes the squad drops out of the process.

Annahnomoss

That idea turns it in to a very different draft though. They key here will be to see comparable values between different players. We discuss Messi vs Ronaldo plenty for example, but who will end up being the higher valued player? Maradona vs Pele? Or Ronaldo(9) against Messi etc.

So either going position for position, or the entire team would be the best way to get all of this information. Do you want to pay 100 m for C. Ronaldo? When Messi costs 90 m?

It will be quite an indicator on how highly every player is valued. Matthäus vs Rijkaard? Gullit vs Rui Costa?

Will have to discuss it through with Pol, but hopefully we will not stray too far away from the originally outlined ideas. Tampering with everything is all good, but taking that long leap to actually doing something completely different is probably counter-productive.

Varun

Staff

Repeat it till everyone has 12 players in the squad, and whoever completes the squad drops out of the process.
Like that, good call.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There's a danger i might be too stupid to play this game.
:D I'm thinking an assistant manager role will be my plan this time - still get to stick my oar in without any of the responsibility.

Pippa

:drool: Easy way to get at least two players in my team. That is unless people know who has nominated who. I would rather see blind nominations than them being in public.

But how would players be judged to see their market value, apart from their actual ability? I would assume reputation, probably.

For example, who would be worth more: Thiago Silva or Desailly? And what would be their values?

Moby

Dick
That idea turns it in to a very different draft though. They key here will be to see comparable values between different players. We discuss Messi vs Ronaldo plenty for example, but who will end up being the higher valued player? Maradona vs Pele? Or Ronaldo(9) against Messi etc.

So either going position for position, or the entire team would be the best way to get all of this information. Do you want to pay 100 m for C. Ronaldo? When Messi costs 90 m?

It will be quite an indicator on how highly every player is valued. Matthäus vs Rijkaard? Gullit vs Rui Costa?

Will have to discuss it through with Pol, but hopefully we will not stray too far away from the originally outlined ideas. Tampering with everything is all good, but taking that long leap to actually doing something completely different is probably counter-productive.
Yeah no worries, it's your draft. Plenty seem to be interested in the nominations one so I'd probably run that one in future.

Annahnomoss

:drool: Easy way to get at least two players in my team. That is unless people know who has nominated who. I would rather see blind nominations than them being in public.

But how would players be judged to see their market value, apart from their actual ability? I would assume reputation, probably.

For example, who would be worth more: Thiago Silva or Desailly? And what would be their values?
Both of them are very likely to be picked so their value isn't too important. The market will push the value up higher on the one who has a higher reputation/Skill.

Maradona would have a value of 25 mill and I don't think many players will have a value above that. It is only important that the players who are less desired gets a value that is fair.

Annahnomoss

Yeah no worries, it's your draft. Plenty seem to be interested in the nominations one so I'd probably run that one in future.
Will try to implement as much as possible! Hopefully it becomes another addition in what style of a draft to run to add some changes.

Instead of having to change(or only change) the available players, one can change the drafts too.

Pippa

All I know is that nobody but me is getting a certain Brasilian defender. ;)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

I don't think it will actually. It just shows who prefered which player in his team at a given moment in time and you will see managers being ridiculed for spending too much. Just look at the games, Aldo would probably spend 4 times as much as I would on Redondo, while I would spend 4 times as much as you on Neeskens. Does that tell you anything different than you already know? For example, Anto and I could end up in a bidding war about Neeskens, making him more expensive than Messi. Does that change anything, make him the more valueable player than Matthäus or Rijkaard?

Annahnomoss

I don't think it will actually. It just shows who prefered which player in his team at a given moment in time and you will see managers being ridiculed for spending too much. Just look at the games, Aldo would probably spend 4 times as much as I would on Redondo, while I would spend 4 times as much as you on Neeskens. Does that tell you anything different than you already know?
Now we are 16 though, so it will tell you a bit of course not all by any means. The only time the value would completely inflate is in case two managers has the same favorite/key player.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Now we are 16 though, so it will tell you a bit of course not all by any means. The only time the value would completely inflate is in case two managers has the same favorite/key player.
I edited, the Anto vs Balu Neeskens bidding war as an example while you answered so damn quickly :P

Pippa

Has there been any confirmation on what the earliest birthdate is? 1960, 1970?

Annahnomoss

I edited, the Anto vs Balu Neeskens bidding war as an example while you answered so damn quickly :P
Well in that case it will of course be inflated! But that is exactly how it is in reality too so it isn't a very big deal.

If Mourinho and Pelligrini really wants to buy Gundogan, then the value of Gundogan would be pushed through the roof. That however just shows that he was good enough to be a key part in 2 of the teams.

So if Neeskens is considered irreplaceable for two out of 16 teams then he fully deserves to be valued that high!

Annahnomoss

Yeah! He still has a couple of weeks to turn up though!
The thought hadn't crossed my mind, mainly because we haven't decided on the actual rules yet. I want him to approve all the rules and be happy with them too. We are co-admins, so making bigger decisions like that alone doesn't feel right with me.

If he doesn't come online today or tomorrow I may start reading up on our PM convo once again and try to implement a mix of his, mine and the publics ideas.

But I hope he comes online before we continue.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
He's been looking forward to run this for a while so we should wait for him. He can be away for long periods at times but usually checks in.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Round One Strikers:
List of available strikers
1. Messi (AldoPaine 90 mill)
2. Suarez (Crappy 60 mill)
3. Ibrahimovic (Pippa 40 mill)
4. Rooney(Balu 25 mill)
25. Benzema

Would be simple enough to follow, you'd just name the bid you want to make and if you want to bid on Rooney we simply remove Balu's bid on Rooney and tell him about it.

This. This is exactly what I meant.

Let the manager who raises or opens a bid, to update his bid every time. Only issue would be deadlines. Fair thing would be to have a player sold if for 8 hours no one raises a bid for it. I think that would work, might slow down on a few players but given the time zone differences would be needed

NM

Round One Strikers:
List of available strikers
1. Messi (AldoPaine 90 mill)
2. Suarez (Crappy 60 mill)
3. Ibrahimovic (Pippa 40 mill)
4. Rooney(Balu 25 mill)
25. Benzema

Would be simple enough to follow, you'd just name the bid you want to make and if you want to bid on Rooney we simply remove Balu's bid on Rooney and tell him about it.
This might be too much work for both players and mods unless you guys are around 24/7

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Let's make it like a real life auction, or players transfer. You know who's available, and what's the starting bid.

How? The mods are listing ALL available players with their minimum starting bid price. Then the mods divide them into 3 rounds, and let every managers know which players listed in each round. First round could last, lets say, 2 days where managers should bid and win 4 players. Then the 2nd round for another 4 players, etc.

In about a week, the draft is done.

Or to make it interesting, one round for each day with about 16 players, and managers can choose to bid or not to bid any. On the last 2-3 rounds, more cheap low quality players available to fill in the 12 players quota for every team.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Let's make it like a real life auction, or players transfer. You know who's available, and what's the starting bid.

How? The mods are listing ALL available players with their minimum starting bid price. Then the mods divide them into 3 rounds, and let every managers know which players listed in each round. First round could last, lets say, 2 days where managers should bid and win 4 players. Then the 2nd round for another 4 players, etc.
The point is to increase competition by keeping the pool small. An ALL player split by 3 rounds is still too big.

I'm still inclided to managers nominating 2 players each with their opening bids. This is how I can see it progressing:

Key: Tournament organizer does not play

Player Submission (with inital bids):
Balu bids: 15m for Muller & 15m for Schweini
anto bids: 10m for Muller & 10m for Lahm
VJ bids: 25m for Laudrup & 30m for Nedved
EAP bids: 20m for Schweini & 20m for Sammer

Annah lists all in OP. Anto's bid for Muller and Balu's bid for Schweini are discarded and Annah chooses 2 new players with minimum bid to be added to the pool.
Annah: 25m for Cafu & 30m for Messi

Bid Pool will be:

15m for Muller (balu)
10m for Lahm (anto)
25m for Laudrup (VJ)
30m for Nedved (VJ)
20m for Schweini (EAP)
20m for Sammer (EAP)
25m for Cafu (Pool)
30m for Messi (Pool)

Inital Counter bidding : This should take place blind with only results announced at end of 12 hrs

Minimum 5m bid increase rule.
Cannot submit a equal bid. Bid has to be greater than visible Pool price.

Balu: 20m for Lahm, 35m for Messi, 30m for Cafu
anto: 25m for Muller & 25m for Sammer, 35m for Cafu
VJ: 40m for Messi, 25m for Sammer
EAP: 40m for Messi, 25m for Lahm, 30 for Cafu

Results announced with new bid pool as:

25m for Muller (anto)
25m for Lahm (EAP)
25m for Laudrup (VJ)
30m for Nedved (VJ)
20m for Schweini (EAP)
25m for Sammer (anto + VJ)
35m for Cafu (anto)
40m for Messi (VJ + EAP)

Final Counter bidding : This should also take place blind with only results announced at end of 12 hrs

Minimum 5m bid increase rule.
Cannot submit a equal bid. Bid has to be greater than visible Pool price.

** If no counter bid received. Players in bid pool will get allocated to managers listed within () in bid pool

Balu does not have any winning bids. He knows who all are after his players (Muller, Schweini, Cafu and Messi) in pool now decides if he needs to up the money or leave it for next round
anto realizes that balu and EAP are after his players. what would he do?
VJ already has 2 at the moment, Should he take a gamble to see if noone picks them up and/or bid for additional players?
EAP lost Sammer (his favourite player). What would he do?

Balu: 35m for Muller. 35m for Schweini, 35 for Sammer
anto: 30m for Muller, 30m for Lahm, 35 for Sammer
VJ: 40m for Cafu and 50m for Messi
EAP: 40m for Sammer, 40m for Cafu, 45m for Messi, 35m for Lahm

Final results announced as:

35m for Schweini (balu)

30m for Lahm (anto)

25m for Laudrup (VJ)
30m for Nedved (VJ)
50m for Messi (VJ)

40m for Sammer (EAP)

Tie breaker

40m for Cafu (VJ + EAP)
35m for Muller (balu + EAP)

Here, both managers have a choice of sending one final up-bid to Annah or withdraw from the bid.
If both send counters with up bids, whoever bid highest will get the player. If both up-bids are equal again, the bid will be cancelled and the player will be returned to pool with his final value
If both withdraw player will be returned back to pool with final value.

Cafu: EAP counter with 50m, VJ counter with 50m
Muller: balu counters with 40m, EAP withdraws

Final Results of the round

35m for Schweini (balu)
40m for Muller (balu)

30m for Lahm (anto)

25m for Laudrup (VJ)
30m for Nedved (VJ)
50m for Messi (VJ)

40m for Sammer (EAP)

Added to pool for next round

40m for Cafu (pool)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Extra rules:

#1 Players in Pele's 125 greatest living footballers list are NOT ELIGIBLE for managers to pick. Players in that list will be randomly introduced by organizer Annah in case of duplciate bids (like Muller and Schweini in my example above). This would even out the GOAT's across multiple rounds and entire people away from just bidding on their own submissions.

#2 If anfter 12 rounds, any manager was not able to pick 11 players or has run out of cash to add more players, SHEEP's will be auto allocated (needs more thought!)

Polaroid

Folks, let me discuss this further with Annah, we should firm up everything by tomorrow, thanks

sajeev

i don't think the organizers should be participating in this draft