Aurelien Tchouameni / Signs for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayLeap

That was a 3-man midfield with Matuidi and super-human Kante. Also, it's long been shown he works much harder on defense in huge games yet over an EPL season will lose you too many games due to his general lack of defensive interest and carelessness with ball whilst deep.

It hasn’t been proven. He won a World Cup there.

Last edited:

bosskeano

It has been proven in the premier league that he can't and unless he has Kante playing next to him, he can't do it for France either because Kante does his job and he does Pogba's job as well defensively

CallyRed

Heard he is a big fan of Skepta.
Tchouameni man Tchouameni meni man

Hoof the ball

It hasn’t been proven. He won a World Cup there.
I believe most games in that World Cup had them playing a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with Kante next to Pogba, with Matuidi playing wide left and dropping into CM to make it a midfield three when Pogba advanced, which is far from you're typical two-man midfield. France's success was because they mitigated the weaknesses of Pogba in a two-man midfield, not due to it.

croadyman

Feels like there has been a little movement on this but still not boarding any trains until someone reliable gets on it too

Last edited:

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Pogba CAN NOT PLAY in a 2 man midfield.....how many times does this have to be pointed out and proven time and time again
Referring to the bolded part - I’m actually starting to think it may be possible.

Our back 4 looks solid now and with a warrior type personality next to Pogba it may be possible. Just like with France, the defence and Kante do make it possible. It was only when France had possession that Pogba was allowed to drift further up the pitch which they did well during the World Cup but not so well during the Euros.

If this guy Tchouameni is as good as everyone says he is and by the looks of it, he does seem like he can handle the midfield pressure then it’s a risk worth taking. Obviously it’ll take some time for him to settle in but in a parallel universe if we were bringing in Kante to partner Pogba I’m sure no one would reject the idea. So if we can bring someone who can be moulded into a similar player, why not?

Let’s be honest, Pogba will not be playing on the LW that often if he stays and we will certainly see him in the midfield. So why not bring someone in who could provide cover for Pogba.

Also - on a side note, I would much rather prefer we buy this guy than someone like Camavinga (who I really like as a player). I obviously don’t know as much as some of you others do but by watching the highlights, Tchouameni looks like a player who’ll enjoy getting in tussles in the midfield and get stuck in to bring the ball out of pressure situations. That is exactly the kind of player we need. His physicality and aggression suits the DM role really well. Camavinga isn’t that much of a DM anyways and wouldn’t have solved our DM issue. Would’ve been more of a replacement for Pogba rather than a partner for him.

Wouldn’t mind being corrected on anything I’ve mentioned so far though. I obviously haven’t seen this player play much so I’m just going off what I’ve watched and read so far.

reelworld

Referring to the bolded part - I’m actually starting to think it may be possible.

Our back 4 looks solid now and with a warrior type personality next to Pogba it may be possible. Just like with France, the defence and Kante do make it possible. It was only when France had possession that Pogba was allowed to drift further up the pitch which they did well during the World Cup but not so well during the Euros.

If this guy Tchouameni is as good as everyone says he is and by the looks of it, he does seem like he can handle the midfield pressure then it’s a risk worth taking. Obviously it’ll take some time for him to settle in but in a parallel universe if we were bringing in Kante to partner Pogba I’m sure no one would reject the idea. So if we can bring someone who can be moulded into a similar player, why not?

Let’s be honest, Pogba will not be playing on the LW that often if he stays and we will certainly see him in the midfield. So why not bring someone in who could provide cover for Pogba.

Also - on a side note, I would much rather prefer we buy this guy than someone like Camavinga (who I really like as a player). I obviously don’t know as much as some of you others do but by watching the highlights, Tchouameni looks like a player who’ll enjoy getting in tussles in the midfield and get stuck in to bring the ball out of pressure situations. That is exactly the kind of player we need. His physicality and aggression suits the DM role really well. Camavinga isn’t that much of a DM anyways and wouldn’t have solved our DM issue. Would’ve been more of a replacement for Pogba rather than a partner for him.

Wouldn’t mind being corrected on anything I’ve mentioned so far though. I obviously haven’t seen this player play much so I’m just going off what I’ve watched and read so far.
He didn't even played LW against Leeds, he just started there. He mainly played attacking/central midfielder. United switch to 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1 through out the game.

The French set up is actually a good comparison and probably the template that Ole use to get the best out of Pogba. Matuidi didn't stay wide left all the time, he comes in and provide a defensive support for Pogba to move forward. The United set up is similar but instead Pogba started on the left and McTominay and Shaw provide the defensive support on the left whenever Pogba comes in

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Aurelien is an absolutely amazing name. I kinda want a dog or a fish or a son or something, just so I can name them Aurelien.

Red_toad

So are we getting ready to consider lodging a bid? be Great to sign him as he’s more what we need than Camavinga , hope the new recruitment crew can get this over the line, but I suspect we need Jesse and a few others to move on first.

The Red Thinker

Aurelien sounds like an epic hero's name in LOTR. Though I don't think Tchoumeni people can pronounce his surname.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Could literally say the same thing about where Pogba played last Saturday instead of people thinking he's on the wing.
The point isn't about whether he plays on the wing or central. It's about this fantasy that a DM and Pogba will be the dream combination. I'm highly skeptical about it as the engine room of the midfield typically has a few players and I wouldn't have Pogba in that. So whether it's two midfielders and him on the left wing/left of a 3, it's still 2 other midfielders.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Just like with France, the defence and Kante do make it possible.
Not really. France always play a third hard-working central midfielder on the wing. Over the last few years they've only played him in a true two man central midfield four times, and they were all against teams ranked outside the top 50 (in fact two of them were outside the top 100).

Indeed it's noticeable when you go through France's matches over the last few years that they are much more likely to play an actual two man midfield with attacking wingers (ie. the way we play) when Pogba doesn't play. When he plays they drop one of the attacking wingers for an extra midfielder to play that role.

So even though for France he is playing next to Kante, against opposition that is generally weaker than he faces in the league and with a slower gamestyle with less intense pressing, they still don't trust him in a midfield two. Yet people expect him to do it for us.

I believe most games in that World Cup had them playing a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with Kante next to Pogba, with Matuidi playing wide left and dropping into CM to make it a midfield three when Pogba advanced, which is far from you're typical two-man midfield. France's success was because they mitigated the weaknesses of Pogba in a two-man midfield, not due to it.
Spot on. They did the same this Euros with Rabiot/Tolisso and it didn’t work as well defensively as Matuidi was a beast.

My only Eric

I had one tchouameni drinks last night, woke up somewhere between Thailand and Cambodia.

Need a drink to cure this hangover.

Classical Mechanic

Not really. France always play a third hard-working central midfielder on the wing. Over the last few years they've only played him in a true two man central midfield four times, and they were all against teams ranked outside the top 50 (in fact two of them were outside the top 100).

Indeed it's noticeable when you go through France's matches over the last few years that they are much more likely to play an actual two man midfield with attacking wingers (ie. the way we play) when Pogba doesn't play. When he plays they drop one of the attacking wingers for an extra midfielder to play that role.

So even though for France he is playing next to Kante, against opposition that is generally weaker than he faces in the league and with a slower gamestyle with less intense pressing, they still don't trust him in a midfield two. Yet people expect him to do it for us.
Indeed. Basically we'd need to set our midfield up like this

--------Fred--------Pogba-------------
Sancho-------Bruno----------Mc T

The other thing is that France play on the counter a lot which is great for Pogba's strength when it comes to those long passes. I don't see us winning the Premier League on the counter because so many sides are happy to sit in and take a draw against us.

hungrywing

Talk about a mic drop.

Andersons Dietician

For those of us who don’t know him, watch from 3:11. Feel free to watch the whole thing obviously, but personally I couldn’t hack the way Dave waves him arms around like he’s bloody swimming!
I’m glad it’s not just me, now that he’s taken to wearing that gold medallion as well I find it very annoying.

Never seen the young lad play at all but everyone seems hyped about him so I’m in.

Dazzmondo

I love Tchouaméni. He was my 1st choice for a dm before the links with Camavinga started but haven't seen any reliable sources linking us to him yet. Is there anyone decent reporting this?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
He didn't even played LW against Leeds, he just started there. He mainly played attacking/central midfielder. United switch to 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1 through out the game.

The French set up is actually a good comparison and probably the template that Ole use to get the best out of Pogba. Matuidi didn't stay wide left all the time, he comes in and provide a defensive support for Pogba to move forward. The United set up is similar but instead Pogba started on the left and McTominay and Shaw provide the defensive support on the left whenever Pogba comes in
Yes you’re both right.

However I was replying to the poster who said Pogba can not play in a midfield 2, and that is not correct. I think with our new look back 4 and an acquisition of a DM like Tchouameni, we may see Pogba in a midfield 2 even without the help of an additional midfielder like that in the French setup. If the DM plus 3/4 of our defenders are staying back to provide cover it is definitely possible to see Pogba drift forward.

Whenever we did try to play Pogba in a midfield 2 all the way from Mourinho’s time, the problem was the personnel. That may not be an issue anymore.

Devil may care

Exactly, France sacrificed one of the wide positions to use another midfielder who could tuck in, plus as someone mentioned Pogba ups his discipline in big international games, it's not something he can do week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.