g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Aurelien Tchouameni / Signs for Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Plenty of teams have. You do not need to go for the big money players straight away. We also do not need to win the title next season
Which plenty of teams are those? We're only talking about those at the top, where Manchester United's aspirations lie.

Like I said, it doesn't actually happen anymore; feel free to show me an elite club who have done so.

jackal&hyde

I mean sure but why not change it when you can?

He was getting players like Karius, Lovren, Chamberlain in to CL finals.

People weren't thinking so highly of Henderson and Milner before Klopp.

I'm not really writing off these players - just Klopp was able to get average players be good, good to great and over time all he has left is a team that looks great under him.

I mean I even look at TAA. Everyone talks about how his defending is not good - but how often does it really get penetrated when he is playing for Liverpool?

Then I watch him for England and a completely different manager and style - he hardly looks all that great attackingwise compared to what he produces for Liverpool.
Yeah I agree that very good managers can improve players, of course; especially by finding the best way of playing to complement the players qualities. So for example he played with Lewa as the 9 but changed things at Pool to a false 9 to make use of the great ability to score of the wide attackers.

About TAA, that's interesting. He is actually targeted quite a bit. It works for them for 2 reasons IMO. Superhero level central defenders that are extremely rare to find (and he paid a fortune for it) and, sacrificing midfield creativity for defensive work. So Klopp adapted very well to balance the team around the qualities of the players.

My point is that for the most part, the qualities that fit a managers system must be there. You can't turn Smalling in to a ball playing defender or McTom in to a playmaker, etc. What tends to happen is that there are players that excel at certain things and the manager brings that to light by setting the team up to make best use of those qualities.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Which plenty of teams are those? We're only talking about those at the top, where Manchester United's aspirations lie.

Like I said, it doesn't actually happen anymore; feel free to show me an elite club who have done so.
Milan

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
An outlier in a league nobody talks about anymore. Is that the only example?

There have been so many teams who have done their rebuilds in the last 3-7 years, if Milan are the only one with a slow burn, they are an extreme exception to the rule.

Mainoldo

No we just need to secure champions league next season and not think short term. Build something which will last, not make problems for yourselves in the future by signings players who are motivated primarly by the fact you paid them more.

If being a key part in making United one of the best clubs in the world again doesn’t float his boat, then he isn’t the player we need. Get someone else who is young and hungry and plan for who we can get next summer once we are back in the UCL
He could literally go to Newcastle for the money and win young player of the year and you’d be on here saying why did we not just spend the money.

The hunger has nothing to do with just money. We built a poor environment which matched an Old Spurs. This is why we have a bunch of bottlers.

Tavern in the town

Liverpool hit the jackpot with a perfect conflation of talent coming through the ranks and players who people doubted (and therefore didn't touch) absolutely maximising their talent. Mane, Henderson and Salah, in particular. Robertson, and particularly Trent-Alexander, are once a generation players that they themselves wouldn't find again.

Liverpool also only went to the stratospheric level when they finished off their build with one of the most expensive keeper and defender combinations in history, who many doubted and questioned at the time, particularly for the outlay.

So good luck replicating that.
They already are replicating it. Luis Diaz was on the verge of signing for Everton a year ago, and now he’s come in and looks amazing. Jota was considered a pretty decent player at Wolves and he’s now something of a goal machine. Everyone worried about Konate’s injuries at Leipzig, they took the plunge and he’s great every time he plays.

gajender

Is that taking into account bonuses? Maybe fact check yourself.
I actually did and also posted link as well in my earlier conversation with some other poster , Bonuses actually made it around 10% higher than United wages for corresponding Accounts .

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It's not about wages now in my opinion. If it becomes about blowing Liverpool out of the water with wages just to secure a signature, you let him go. Painful but necessary.

It's more about ETH getting in players ear, pitching his style, making the player feel important. Let the club's size, history (and yes generous wage package) do the rest.

At the end of the day there are clubs in a better sporting position than us that are able to offer similar money, we have to accept that because there aren't 5 players on this planet that can improve us. No need to hit the panic button over individuals. If the only reason you get them is you offer 80k more, it doesn't bode well. We need to start building a climate where wages are part of the package, not the ace in the hole.
Agree absolutely. The only players that are any use to us now are ones that buy into what we are and fancy the challenge.

Cassidy

An outlier in a league nobody talks about anymore. Is that the only example?

There have been so many teams who have done their rebuilds in the last 3-7 years, if Milan are the only one with a slow burn, they are an extreme exception to the rule.
The only 2 clubs who have had to build themselves back after previously being an elite club. Milan and Liverpool
Guess how they went about it? (Granted Milan are still on the journey)
Throwing money at the problem doesn't work, we are prime example of this.

Abraxas

I think one of the major changes we need to make is in renewals and how we go about our day-to-day business. A Tchouameni isn't ten a penny, and therefore becomes one of the exceptions, not the rule, but what is done to keep the wage in line, is not renew it willy nilly, unless the player transcends and becomes a bona fide world class performer.

Tchouameni is to midfield what Haaland (or any up and coming special forward) is to attack. You aren't going to run into this predicament non-stop during any transfer window. If he isn't attainable, you don't flippantly need to move on to the next one offering anything like the same package. The clubs that are in for these talents dictate their standing and what you have to compete with. The net widens considerably outside the special ones and so too does what you have to do to get them through the door.
I don't think this guy is anywhere near as proven as Haaland, in fairness. I'm not sure I see that comparison. Haaland is expensive not just because he's up and coming but because he's legitimately one of the best strikers in the world, banging in goals left right and centre in the CL etc. The package is always going to reflect that.

Weirder things have happened than this lad being slightly overrated on here or being a good player but not quite as advertised. The problem with going bonkers on wages and using that as your trump card to get them through the door is it has a knock on effect for a wage structure which we should be aiming to incentivise and certainly modify. It also gives you nowhere to go to reward them for consistency at renewal.

In my opinion you have to have a line in the sand with the players, in terms of wages and the attitude they show towards joining. You can only have XI players playing and maybe 15-16 that are happy around a squad, it's a big old world out there to fish for players. The obsession with individuals should be something for the fans, not something I'd like to see with our recruitment department.

Last edited:

Cassidy

He could literally go to Newcastle for the money and win young player of the year and you’d be on here saying why did we not just spend the money.

The hunger has nothing to do with just money. We built a poor environment which matched an Old Spurs. This is why we have a bunch of bottlers.
No I would not. We shouldnt sign any player who would pick Newcastle over United based on money, it speaks to their motivation and mentality (not what we want)

There are other players who can offer what we need. Most important is not a single player but squad cohesions and building a group that is highly motivated (for the right reasons). We have already seen what happens when players are only here for the salary

Mainoldo

No I would not. We shouldnt sign any player who would pick Newcastle over United based on money, it speaks to their motivation and mentality (not what we want)

There are other players who can offer what we need. Most important is not a single player but squad cohesions and building a group that is highly motivated (for the right reasons). We have already seen what happens when players are only here for the salary
Sounds like the new United DNA :lol:

Don’t tell me you believe that can be built by just getting anyone of a certain level.

We have no idea what ETH actual coaching level is. But it would help if we get him the best players available for the profile of player he wants. From what we heard Tchouameni is top of his list. So maybe we put the extra effort in and try to get him. Don’t you think?

CraftySoAndSo

Well said man. Sick of reading the comments in here along the lines of 'why would he sign for us' 'we dont have CL football' '(I didn't realise that by finishing outside of top four this season we will miss out on CL football for the next 15 seasons) 'we are shit' and on and on it goes.

Very good chance he will come here, if missing out on CL football for a season is the deciding factor for him then he is another mercenary we don't need.
Being motivated by Champions League isn't being a mercenary it's something called ambition. If United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Real came in for him and all offered the same amount of wages and playing time why would he choose us. In this instance the only way we could persuade him is either more money (which would make him a mercenary) or if he's a giant United fan. Otherwise why else why he turn down being a starter for teams regularly reaching stages of the Champions League we haven't reached for 10 years for a project where no one knows how long it'll take us to reach those levels again.

jackal&hyde

We are exaggerating on the wages issue imo. It's not like we would make him the best paid player in the World. Liverpool have their own ability to finance, we have ours. If we can offer a bit more there is nothing wrong with that. Chelsea blew us out of the water on a number of occasions in the past and it wasn't a problem for them. You have to compensate a bit when you are not as good. You can't just go for players that no other team wants and then expect to make top 4 against possibly the best 2 teams in Europe plus a Chelsea stacked with talent and even a Spurs likely to spend big with a good manager.

We only need to make sure we have the right environment and the players are hungry for success as most young players are.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The only 2 clubs who have had to build themselves back after previously being an elite club.
Guess how they went about it?
Right, I realise my last reply might sound a little harsh, but in my first post I mentioned the fire pit that is the PL and what we're up against across the spectrum, in which I put Dortmund to the side because what they had to do is not comparable with what you're up against in this league. You are talking about a trundle back to the top, which our own consultant has said is not necessary and has pitfalls in and of itself (which I highlighted in said post); clubs do what they can and have to as succinctly as circumstances allow. Juventus and Milan also fit this determination - Juve with their infamous haggling, loans, buying on the cheap and so forth. Milan are a little different, but their time constraints, in all aspects, are nothing like what Manchester United face or the hurdles we need to overcome to even challenge for the title let alone be a frontrunner.

Idealism is nice, but when broken down each club will have underlying factors for their conduct and execution, and every club rebuilds in the way that is optimal for them. City just threw away hordes of players because money is no concern for them; Klopp got by with what he had to, but had absolutely no hesitation in doing jaw-dropping financial deals the moment they were a go and needed. Cheslea drop managers and have a constant stream of players coming in and out of the club - a total rebuild is never on the cards for them.

Manchester United are not going to spend 3-4 years treading water *if* what they hope to do can be executed in 2. They just aren't. You build and construct around vital components, of which, I would think midfield will be paramount for the football ten Hag plays, so it would be no surprise whatsoever to see major outlay in that department. As stated previously, Tchouameni's quality is predicated by those seeking his signature. If we can get him here, we're going to use the means necessary to offset all the reasons not to come here. None of what you said is special for a player who has his pick of clubs as it can be matched everywhere else. We're in a time where City, Liverpool, PSG, Chelsea and Madrid could all do with replenishment in midfield, I think the only club there where he doesn't become a starter off the bat is Madrid, and that's dependent on Modric and Casemiro's legs. Being a starter here is neither here nor there in terms of enticement.

If you're saying just let the player go elsewhere, why would we do that if we genuinely believe he would expedite our rebuild? It's not a case of like-for-like as there isn't another CM who is available and as highly touted as the player. Even if we throw our hat in, he may opt to go elsewhere, which is fair enough, but the notion we should dip out because of wages and not repeating mistakes of the past is asinine to me. The biggest failings of this regime has been having no plan or clue of what we need or how to use what we buy. Handing out stupid renewals and paying squaddies absurd wages is also far worse than paying players who were highly coveted a wage that keeps them in line.

We're arse backwards right now and won't right that ship until in a position of dominance at which point we can dictate and make sweeping changes. That doesn't happen when you're lingering in no-mans land and your pull is as low as it's ever been. 'Take this or we walk'leaves no impression when the players will gladly opt for another club.

Conor

So you think they themselves could replicate it? There was no use of the word luck in my post except for anyone thinking that's a formula as opposed to a perfect conflation of events literally topped off with massive expense, which you've conveniently omitted from the rebuttal.

Of course everything marries together, but perfect storms, are perfect storms because they are improbable.
Do I think they could produce the exact same team again? No. Do I think they could reach a similar level of performance by signing players with the correct profile and mental fortitude to perform in Klopp's system? Definitely. I think they have already demonstrated that they can do this from their recent signings.
Liverpool wage bill according to their own published accounts is higher than United and their Wages to Turnover ratio is also higher than United so the notion that they have somehow assembled a team on low wages doesn't hold scrutiny but somehow media narrative have convinced gullible people otherwise .
It just that United have wasted money without much to show in terms of success which makes it some what easy target .
Whatever about the validity of what you've said re: their wages, they do not sign players on astronomical starting wages, anyone that has reached a top tier wage has done so through merit. Giving people crazy wages based on very little is one of the cornerstones of our recent failure, these things need to be earned over a period of time, to create the correct environment in which player's strive to succeed.

Cassidy

Sounds like the new United DNA :lol:

Don’t tell me you believe that can be built by just getting anyone of a certain level.

We have no idea what ETH actual coaching level is. But it would help if we get him the best players available for the profile of player he wants. From what we heard Tchouameni is top of his list. So maybe we put the extra effort in and try to get him. Don’t you think?
We should yes but the player needs to want to be here beyond money and thats a simple fact. Its exactly what Rangnick changed at Liepzeg

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
They already are replicating it. Luis Diaz was on the verge of signing for Everton a year ago, and now he’s come in and looks amazing. Jota was considered a pretty decent player at Wolves and he’s now something of a goal machine. Everyone worried about Konate’s injuries at Leipzig, they took the plunge and he’s great every time he plays.
Building on a machine that's already in motion and juggernauting its way along is easier than getting the thing going. Players are falling over themselves to go there now, which would have been risible a few years ago. They are making admittedly impressive purchases, but they are doing so without lieu of their cornerstones crumbling i.e. their speculative punts may sink or swim, but the mainstays are still in place, so they can take more risks, which is something clubs do when they're at the top.

Klopp's going to oversee a major rebuild in the next 3-4 years and will be very interesting to see where they go when the time comes to replace a Salah or a VVD or even the keeper. Konate might already be VVD's heir apparent, but in the meantime they can see if that works out. It's frustrating that they've got their house so much in order because the element of true risk has been reduced to a ridiculously low level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Liverpool hit the jackpot with a perfect conflation of talent coming through the ranks and players who people doubted (and therefore didn't touch) absolutely maximising their talent. Mane, Henderson and Salah, in particular. Robertson, and particularly Trent-Alexander, are once a generation players that they themselves wouldn't find again.

Liverpool also only went to the stratospheric level when they finished off their build with one of the most expensive keeper and defender combinations in history, who many doubted and questioned at the time, particularly for the outlay.

You make its sound like all that happened by accident when in reality it came about because they but they invested in an analytics-led approach that has proven to be successful elsewhere as well, both in football and other sports. It isn't an accident that they found the likes of Mane, Salah, etc. It's a repeatable facet of their recruitment.

As for TAA, talented though he is he's still just one player and top clubs should be expecting to produce at least one elite level player relatively regularly, else something is seriously wrong. When multiple top level talents come through at the same time then I can understand ascribing it to luck but it would be more odd if they had managed to build a title-winning side without a single player from their own ranks in the first eleven.

Cassidy

Right, I realise my last reply might sound a little harsh, but in my first post I mentioned the fire pit that is the PL and what we're up against across the spectrum, in which I put Dortmund to the side because what they had to do is not comparable with what you're up against in this league. You are talking about a trundle back to the top, which our own consultant has said is not necessary and has pitfalls in and of itself (which I highlighted in said post); clubs do what they can and have to as succinctly as circumstances allow. Juventus and Milan also fit this determination - Juve with their infamous haggling, loans, buying on the cheap and so forth. Milan are a little different, but their time constraints, in all aspects, are nothing like what Manchester United face or the hurdles we need to overcome to even challenge for the title let alone be a frontrunner.

Idealism is nice, but when broken down each club will have underlying factors for their conduct and execution, and every club rebuilds in the way that is optimal for them. City just threw away hordes of players because money is no concern for them; Klopp got by with what he had to, but had absolutely no hesitation in doing jaw-dropping financial deals the moment they were a go and needed. Cheslea drop managers and have a constant stream of players coming in and out of the club - a total rebuild is never on the cards for them.

Manchester United are not going to spend 3-4 years treading water *if* what they hope to do can be executed in 2. They just aren't. You build and construct around vital components, of which, I would think midfield will be paramount for the football ten Hag plays, so it would be no surprise whatsoever to see major outlay in that department. As stated previously, Tchouameni's quality is predicated by those seeking his signature. If we can get him here, we're going to use the means necessary to offset all the reasons not to come here. None of what you said is special for a player who has his pick of clubs as it can be matched everywhere else. We're in a time where City, Liverpool, PSG, Chelsea and Madrid could all do with replenishment in midfield, I think the only club there where he doesn't become a starter off the bat is Madrid, and that's dependent on Modric and Casemiro's legs. Being a starter here is neither here nor there in terms of enticement.

If you're saying just let the player go elsewhere, why would we do that if we genuinely believe he would expedite our rebuild? It's not a case of like-for-like as there isn't another CM who is available and as highly touted as the player. Even if we throw our hat in, he may opt to go elsewhere, which is fair enough, but the notion we should dip out because of wages and not repeating mistakes of the past is asinine to me. The biggest failings of this regime has been having no plan or clue of what we need or how to use what we buy. Handing out stupid renewals and paying squaddies absurd wages is also far worse than paying players who were highly coveted a wage that keeps them in line.

We're arse backwards right now and won't right that ship until in a position of dominance at which point we can dictate and make sweeping changes. That doesn't happen when you're lingering in no-mans land and your pull is as low as it's ever been. 'Take this or we walk'leaves no impression when the players will gladly opt for another club.
I’ll keep this short.

If the player wants to come here, he will be paid well, we are not Brighton.

If the player will only come here because we will out pay every other club and offer him a wage he cannot refuse. Well we are asking for trouble.

Despite what many seem to be peddling, he isnt the only player who we can get and whilst he may be top of the list of players, he is not the only player in the list.

We need to build a team first that is the sum of its parts, we can add expensive final touches on later. A title winning team is not built in a single summer and this player isn’t going to be the difference either.

jackal&hyde

I’ll keep this short.

If the player will only come here because we will out pay every other club and offer him a wage he cannot refuse. Well we are asking for trouble.

Despite what many seem to be peddling, he isnt the only player who we can get and whilst he may be top of the list of players, he is not the only player in the list.

We need to build a team first that is the sum of its parts, we can add expensive final touches on later. A title winning team is not built in a single summer and this player isn’t going to be the difference either.
You seem to be taking it a bit to the extremes. No one is saying that he would come only for the money or that we would pay double level wages; just that we might need to add some extra on the top to help with the risk that we might or might not be successful with our project. I'm sure Liverpool did this is the past with the likes of Suarez and Torres and Chelsea did it a lot in their ascendency.

Reyoji-Utd

Every summer, we have fans here saying we wont sign players with or without CL.

Is it really hard for a club like UTD to compete for signature of players when we have most of the criterials in what players looking for when they sign.

I mean look at UTD , we cant say that we dont try to compete every year (the intention is there albeit lack of systems, wrong managers and palyers, structure etc. We try to buy palyers every summer no matter the fees as long as the manager wants the players. Most of the players are bought with expensive fees.

Utd as a club and brands is still up there with the top 3 clubs in the world imo. We will have a new project this year and players will still like to join as long as we offer them good projects and salary and exposure.

Cassidy

You seem to be taking it a bit to the extremes. No one is saying that he would come only for the money or that we would pay double level wages; just that we might need to add some extra on the top to help with the risk that we might or might not be successful with our project. I'm sure Liverpool did this is the past with the likes of Suarez and Torres and Chelsea did it a lot in their ascendency.
Liverpool stopped doing it on the way to becoming successful.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’ll keep this short.

You are purposely avoiding huge bodies of my posts to stick to what you believe, as if it's not the reality (feel free to refute) and me just reiterating the same points in rebuttal is fruitless.

By what you're saying, we will be in perpetual state wishing on prayers whilst what is here becomes jaded and want out.

I'd be happy if your suggested method could come to fruition, but it's not grounded in the reality of now and the PL obstacles we face.

jackal&hyde

Liverpool stopped doing it on the way to becoming successful.
The players in question were very successful. It was the other, more bang for the buck that were the problem.

Tchouameni is exceptionally highly rated and can be a foundation for many years to come.

dubplate warrior

Looking at the kind of signings Liverpool made, Mane, Salah, Robertson, Firminho, Matip and even VVD. These are all players you could of possibly signed without Champions League football. Remember reading an article on the Athletic that this is the first summer with Murtough having full agency. Let's see if there are any noticeable changes.

jackal&hyde

You are purposely avoiding huge bodies of my posts to stick to what you believe, as if it's not the reality (feel free to refute) and me just reiterating the same points in rebuttal is fruitless.

By what you're saying, we will be in perpetual state wishing on prayers whilst what is here becomes jaded and want out.

I'd be happy if your suggested method could come to fruition, but it's not grounded in the reality of now and the PL obstacles we face.
Plus the way Liverpool succeeded is far from the only way to success. Chelsea has had as much PL and CL success during Klopp's time and Madrid much, much, more. Each club does it according to it's potential.

Mainoldo

Plus the way Liverpool succeeded is far from the only way to success. Chelsea has had as much PL and CL success during Klopp's time and Madrid much, much, more. Each club does it according to it's potential.
Which is why we don’t need to follow the Dortmund’s of this world.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

My sentiments exactly.

Also let's not forget they spent 75m on a CB and 60m on a keeper. Both of which were world records for their positions at the time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Reasons why he would join us?

Big club attraction - yes
Chance of trophy - not in foreseeable future
CL football - not for next season
Money - maybe, depends how much we willing to offer
Childhood dream - probably not
Advice from someone he trust - (Pogba) so probably not

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You make its sound like all that happened by accident when in reality it came about because they but they invested in an analytics-led approach that has proven to be successful elsewhere as well, both in football and other sports. It isn't an accident that they found the likes of Mane, Salah, etc. It's a repeatable facet of their recruitment.

As for TAA, talented though he is he's still just one player and top clubs should be expecting to produce at least one elite level player relatively regularly, else something is seriously wrong. When multiple top level talents come through at the same time then I can understand ascribing it to luck but it would be more odd if they had managed to build a title-winning side without a single player from their own ranks in the first eleven.
I don't think that's how I made it sound, tbh. Analytics played its part, but when push came to shove a massive wad of cash tipped them over into the force we know them as now.

I think you are doing a massive disservice to the player he is, one that is a literal catalyst in their side who is so hard to deal with in an offensive capacity. Liverpool would not play the way they do without him, nor would they be half as effective. Whatever might be said of him in a defensive capacity, he's a truly special talent on the offensive end. It is lucky to have that kind of player come through as what he does doesn't have a replicate anywhere near as good.

Your point about elite players coming through holds, but our special one mightn't even have a career let alone be the staple of our side. Expecting us to kit out the rebuild with players of the required standard is a leap of faith at the moment and heaps pressure on those youngsters.

The model some of you are talking about, I believe we are miles away from and I don't believe we can bridge that gap without quality players coming in in the interim. I don't think this is chicken and egg when we have so little going for us.

jackal&hyde

Which is why we don’t need to follow the Dortmund’s of this world.
Exactly. I never could understand why some are so adamant for us to fallow Dortmund or Leicester model. It worked for Liverpool now ok, with a few broken transfer records on the way that some fail to mention, but surely if you want to be the best at winning you have to more or less fallow what the best are doing. A few smart buys here and there sure, but a lot of the heavy weight of consistent success is usually carried by buying quality that tends to cost a premium.

Mainoldo

We are exaggerating on the wages issue imo. It's not like we would make him the best paid player in the World. Liverpool have their own ability to finance, we have ours. If we can offer a bit more there is nothing wrong with that. Chelsea blew us out of the water on a number of occasions in the past and it wasn't a problem for them. You have to compensate a bit when you are not as good. You can't just go for players that no other team wants and then expect to make top 4 against possibly the best 2 teams in Europe plus a Chelsea stacked with talent and even a Spurs likely to spend big with a good manager.

We only need to make sure we have the right environment and the players are hungry for success as most young players are.
I think this post should dead the topic. Basically everything in a nutshell.

Also something we should all agree on if we want to be successful again in the 3 transfer windows Ralf spoke of.

Cassidy

Completely disagree since I quite obviously said until we can offer UCL football. You can then attract better players. Closer you get to your target you can attract better calibre of player. No where have I said don’t sign top players forever.

bosskeano

Yeah and we are going to finish in the Europa or worse and have a new manager coming in, we aren't really in pole position for these types of players.
yes, we aren't in the CL next year so by that definition we aren't in pole position.

I still believe that players look at a place like Old Trafford and 76k people every week and know what it can provide both in competition, salary and history of the club. The only issue is that other clubs like city, chelsea are willing to pay like United for top players or Pool with their most recent success although they don't pay as much

I haven't seen a lot of him but from what I have seen he appears to be an upgrade on what we currently have, certainly more energy than Matic who he would be replacing in the squad. He is young and so has potential resale value, a step in the right direction. Offer him Matic's wages keeping our wage structure at net zero. If we can buy him at the right price with potential sell on value in a few years what is the issue. he would be an upgraded Dan James signing.

phelans shorts

I haven't seen a lot of him but from what I have seen he appears to be an upgrade on what we currently have, certainly more energy than Matic who he would be replacing in the squad. He is young and so has potential resale value, a step in the right direction. Offer him Matic's wages keeping our wage structure at net zero. If we can buy him at the right price with potential sell on value in a few years what is the issue. he would be an upgraded Dan James signing.
but Matic’s wages are part of the reason that the wage structure is an absolute state. We need to cut the bill not keep it at the same level. Offering those wages to somebody we can’t be certain will work shouldn’t be plan.

but Matic’s wages are part of the reason that the wage structure is an absolute state. We need to cut the bill not keep it at the same level. Offering those wages to somebody we can’t be certain will work shouldn’t be plan.
Matic has been a bit part player for two years at least, Tchoumaeni should be a nailed on starter and someone we build around for the next few years. Our wages problem has been down to Matic, Mata, Jones, Lingard, Bailly and Cavani picking up huge wages and almost never playing

Reactions: Fortitude

phelans shorts

Matic has been a bit part player for two years at least, Tchoumaeni should be a nailed on starter and someone we build around for the next few years. Our wages problem has been down to Matic, Mata, Jones, Lingard, Bailly and Cavani picking up huge wages and almost never playing
This fella would be a massive risk. There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t be on the list you’ve just given in 18 months.

They all signed as exactly what you’ve described this lad as. This is how you end up in the situation we are in.

This fella would be a massive risk. There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t be on the list you’ve just given in 18 months.

They all signed as exactly what you’ve described this lad as. This is how you end up in the situation we are in.
The fella is much younger than any of those guys and a regular French international. Can it all go wrong, of course but he will still have sell on value in 18 months which none of the players I listed currently do. I think he is a reasonable bet if he can be brought in at the 50-60m mark. Certainly preferable to 100m for Declan Rice..
The fact that Liverpool are sniffing about him is a sign that he is a good player, unfortunately it is also a sign that we probably won't get him in the long run as they are currently way more competitive than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.