Straylan and Kiwi politics

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It looks like Jacinta Adheren is going to be return with an absolute majority - unusual in NZ

Well deserved. One of the few real leaders in world politics IMO.

WPMUFC

A great victory for progressive politics. As an Aussie i can only say well done and i'm very jealous that you have a competent government in power.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A great victory for progressive politics. As an Aussie i can only say well done and i'm very jealous that you have a competent government in power.
Agreed. Scotty from Marketing and his band of evil clowns need to be gone.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great stuff. She’s one of the few world leaders I actually root for. Genuinely empathetic and really gets the country. I wish I still lived there.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Great stuff. She’s one of the few world leaders I actually root for. Genuinely empathetic and really gets the country. I wish I still lived there.
Hopefully not in the Aussie/Kiwi meaning of the phrase

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think her overwhelming success is in large part down to good fortune in this critical moment, but she's one of the rare examples in my lifetime of a relatable and competent leader who somehow rises above the populist politics of this time.

WPMUFC

120 seat parliament. Current totals

• Labour 64
  • National 35
  • ACT NZ 10
  • Greens 10
  • Other 1

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
She’s an absolute shining light. Wonderful lady.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Phenomenal news. Hopefully young future leaders can emulate what got Ardern to where she is.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Love WA. I'd move there in a flash if I could get paid what I do in Sydney.
WA is beautiful, quieter and prettier, spent a lot of time in Busselton.

Would love to live that way.

Cloud7

At least there's one sensible country in the world still

Suv666

After her brilliant Covid response was expecting this. One of the few empathetic leaders on the world stage.
Would be interesting to see how NZ votes on Cannabis. I hope its legalized.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
When’s the referendum on weed/euthanasia? Today?
Which way is NZ expected to go regarding euthanasia? Seems common sense to me to allow someone to choose their own demise especially if presented with challenging medical conditions.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Which way is NZ expected to go regarding euthanasia? Seems common sense to me to allow someone to choose their own demise especially if presented with challenging medical conditions.
I seem to remember polls were showing quite strong support

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Is NZ Labour in any way comparable to its British counterpart under Corbyn, or the Sanders-Democrats in the US - i.e. on the left side of social democracy, with promises of profound social change and redistribution of wealth?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Is NZ Labour in any way comparable to its British counterpart under Corbyn, or the Sanders-Democrats in the US - i.e. on the left side of social democracy, with promises of profound social change and redistribution of wealth?
I believe so, but I’m not clued up to be honest.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm not sure but my impression is that they aren't as left as Corbyn.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I nearly missed that the ACT had an election yesterday. Labor will retain power but the Libs lost votes at the expense of the Greens who will now be in coalition with Labor.

Sweet Square

Nah no where close to Bernie or Corbyn.

Ardern’s most substantive policy pledge for the upcoming election is a new top income tax bracket of 39%. Applying to those earning over $180,000 (£92,000), it is forecast to raise just $500m (£257m) a year; the party has ruled out any other tax increases. Other commitments are hopelessly incremental: a $1.10 increase in the minimum hourly wage; a promise that 100% of the country’s electricity production will be renewable by 2030, when 86% of it already is.

https://novaramedia.com/2020/09/24/whats-the-point-of-jacinda-ardern/

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
November 6 is when Referendum results are expected to be known. My impression is the Euthanasia one will get through but the cannabis one is touch and go.
Great result for Labour and the Greens but in one respect they now have a possibly poisoned chalice as there is an economic battle to work through over the next 2-4 years. Ardern wants to make long term changes that will improve the lives of those at the bottom of the economic ladder and rebuilding decades of neglected infrastructure but is going to have to try to do so with difficult world economic scenarios happening. I think 12 months from now Labour will have increasing scrutiny placed upon them. Having said that the direction National had been heading was Trumpian and there is huge relief they got their arses handed to them. But the truth is nobody really know how the next 3 years will play out.

prateik

It was late. Beer had been consumed.
Yeah.. felt like a dick calling someone out over a spelling error..

But I just found it funny that there were exactly 2 mentions of her name in the thread and both had been misspelled.

On topic.. dont know much about NZ politics.. but have only heard good things.. so great. NZ just seems like a lovely place.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah.. felt like a dick calling someone out over a spelling error..

But I just found it funny that there were exactly 2 mentions of her name in the thread and both had been misspelled.

On topic.. dont know much about NZ politics.. but have only heard good things.. so great. NZ just seems like a lovely place.
I did not mind at all. I choose to believe that others make typos and spelling errors but I'm simply part of a rich and evolving living language ;)