Film Avengers: Endgame (2019)

MuFc_1992

I’ve been running on spoiler free mode so some of it was news to me which is why I enjoyed it a lot more. I heard there was leaked footage online which gave away all the plot points... so glad I steered clear of it
I didn't watch the leaked footage but someone on youtube guessed the entire plotline immediately after the first move (or maybe the antman movie).

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Watching this tomorrow, will avoid the thread until then :D good to hear people are impressed so far.

kthanksbye

Will be watching it in roughly 5 hours from now. Not a big fan of superhero movies, will try to give an unbiased spoiler-free review.

kthanksbye

Why bother going on the first day (or at all) if you're not a fan?
I don't dislike it, think they're a decent one time watch, don't go out of my way to watch them either.
Friends are crazy about it, they booked, I'd have waited.

InfiniteBoredom

Ok, so after a few hours, here’s my thoughts on the film (spoiler free):
  • A tad slow in the beginning, took more time to set up than you’d expect, given that its basically act 2 of a play.
  • Pace picks up a lot after that, plenty of twists and turns, some great fan services.
  • Final part is incredible. People didn’t lie about the crying. I legitimately welled up for a moment.
  • Very satisfying payoff. It feels right, you don’t leave the theatre thinking anyone has been underused or shortchanged.

Best MCU film ever? I personally still prefer Winter Soldier, but this is a truly fitting conclusion to the saga.

reelworld

Just got home from watching it.
A really incredible finale for the 10 years of MCU. Lots and lots of fan service. And they felt right, they don't feel forced at all. I fecking love Cap in this movie. I never cheered on a movie before, but I did it 3 times today. Two of them were Cap scenes

reelworld

Ok, so after a few hours, here’s my thoughts on the film (spoiler free):
  • A tad slow in the beginning, took more time to set up than you’d expect, given that its basically act 2 of a play.
  • Pace picks up a lot after that, plenty of twists and turns, some great fan services.
  • Final part is incredible. People didn’t lie about the crying. I legitimately welled up for a moment.
  • Very satisfying payoff. It feels right, you don’t leave the theatre thinking anyone has been underused or shortchanged.

Best MCU film ever? I personally still prefer Winter Soldier, but this is a truly fitting conclusion to the saga.
The ending was just perfect for me. All 6 original Avengers got the closure they want and needed. And you're right, I didn't expect the ending to tug my heartstring like that

bucky

Enjoyed it. Felt more like an homage though. Which I don't mind, if I'm being honest. I sort of wonder how Taika Waititi feels about Thor's arc in both of the most recent Avengers movies.

MrGroovy

Loved it, nice ending to the saga I thought.

Some gripes though :
- When Cap returned all the stones (woohoo reunion with redskull!) and decided to stay in 1970, doesn't it mean that he's now in another branch of the multiverse, and not in the "main" multiverse? If so, how did he end up old in the "main" multiverse? if he uses the time travel machine to travel back as old man in the "main" multiverse, shouldn't he return to the pad and not the bench?
- The 5 years gap would create havoc/chaos with sudden return of half the population back to earth. And I wonder how they gonna explain the next spidey sequel, half of them graduated highschool, and half not?

Cal?

CR7 fan

Some gripes though :
- When Cap returned all the stones (woohoo reunion with redskull!) and decided to stay in 1970, doesn't it mean that he's now in another branch of the multiverse, and not in the "main" multiverse? If so, how did he end up old in the "main" multiverse? if he uses the time travel machine to travel back as old man in the "main" multiverse, shouldn't he return to the pad and not the bench?
- The 5 years gap would create havoc/chaos with sudden return of half the population back to earth. And I wonder how they gonna explain the next spidey sequel, half of them graduated highschool, and half not?
Don't think we need spoilers any more.

I was just talking to a friend that Ned was also snapped? That's why he's still the same age?

Based on the Spiderman Far from home trailers, did all his classmates get snapped and came back the same age?

InfiniteBoredom

Don't think we need spoilers any more.

I was just talking to a friend that Ned was also snapped? That's why he's still the same age?

Based on the Spiderman Far from home trailers, did all his classmates get snapped and came back the same age?
The film hasn’t opened yet in the US. After Friday then it’d be fair game I think.

OneUnited24

Some gripes though :
unless it’s a paradox and whilst cap was running around saving the world another version of him was living out his life with Peggy. All in the same timeline. Did we ever see any photos of Peggy’s husband?

Agree about the 5 year gap but it would explain why in the Spider-Man trailer they didn’t show the date on the visa (or something)

InfiniteBoredom

unless it’s a paradox and whilst cap was running around saving the world another version of him was living out his life with Peggy. All in the same timeline. Did we ever see any photos of Peggy’s husband?

Agree about the 5 year gap but it would explain why in the Spider-Man trailer they didn’t show the date on the visa (or something)
Didn’t she say she wouldn’t have met her husband without him in one of the earlier films?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Sharon Carter doesn't exist anymore does she?

Cap with mjolnir!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's a good film but I didn't get the same feeling I got after watching winter soldier, or guardians or even infinity war. Will have to rewatch because I don't know if that's because I've high expectations based of reviews or because I missed the first minute :lol:

Thought it had a lot of fan service, but was quite predictable, which I think took away from it. Time travel based on the quantum realm was always toing to be how they get everyone back. 1 of Captain America and Iron man was always going to die. Everyone was obviously going to come back.

Set up Guardians 3 very nicely. Spiderman 2 aswell, I guess. Peters all by himself now.

Shocking death was Black Widow, she has film coming out? Must be a prequel.

All in all, definitely a great send off. Liked the fact that everyone worth a dime in the MCU movies was there except for coulson, he's actually dead now so fair enough.

Thor's a fat feck.

Reddy Rederson

Just saw it. Good, but had a couple "meh" moments.

1. The female super hero lineup was cringe. All the women just stop what theyre doing all over the massive battle field just so they can have a kodak moment in a conversation they couldnt possibly have heard. It was worse than the side view line up in age of ultron. I dont know who thinks these "look how cool we all are" posses work. Every movie they sucked me right out of it as my eyes roll 360s.

2. I liked that they went the multiverse route in regards to time travel. I did not like them pissing all over it just to give Cap a bitter sweet goodbye. They could have easily side stepped this by just having him time jump back after peggy died of old age. Would have made a lot more sense than "hey, where that old man on the bench come from?".

3. Scott langs daughter is all grown up after the time jump, yet peter parker walks back into school like hes back from his summer hols. Are we to believe that everyone he knows got dusted?

All in all, an enjoyable ride. A fun end to the infinite saga.

OneUnited24

Just saw it. Good, but had a couple "meh" moments.

1. The female super hero lineup was cringe. All the women just stop what theyre doing all over the massive battle field just so they can have a kodak moment in a conversation they couldnt possibly have heard. It was worse than the side view line up in age of ultron. I dont know who thinks these "look how cool we all are" posses work. Every movie they sucked me right out of it as my eyes roll 360s.

2. I liked that they went the multiverse route in regards to time travel. I did not like them pissing all over it just to give Cap a bitter sweet goodbye. They could have easily side stepped this by just having him time jump back after peggy died of old age. Would have made a lot more sense than "hey, where that old man on the bench come from?".

3. Scott langs daughter is all grown up after the time jump, yet peter parker walks back into school like hes back from his summer hols. Are we to believe that everyone he knows got dusted?

All in all, an enjoyable ride. A fun end to the infinite saga.
Oh that scene with them was so cringy. My eyes rolled so far back into my skull i thought i'd miss the ending! I'm all for women superheros but when i see things like that i just think of fat business men smoking cigars commenting on how that scene would pull in more women to boost numbers - hiding their greed in the cloak of righteousness. It also didn't help that it followed Captain Marvels half assed "need a hand" line delivery

reelworld

Oh that scene with them was so cringy. My eyes rolled so far back into my skull i thought i'd miss the ending! I'm all for women superheros but when i see things like that i just think of fat business men smoking cigars commenting on how that scene would pull in more women to boost numbers - hiding their greed in the cloak of righteousness. It also didn't help that it followed Captain Marvels half assed "need a hand" line delivery
there's already an all female Avengers in the comics. I thought this is just a node to that. The movie does alot of winks to the comics storylines.

ChrisNelson

Why bother going on the first day (or at all) if you're not a fan?
I'm the same, not a big superhero fan at all but I just like seeing all big films right at the start so I can say I was one of the first. Sad, but there you go....

I'm literally not going to have a clue what's going on later but as I only paid a fiver because Vue @ Meadowhall is the cheapest cinema in the world, I don't care!

Reddy Rederson

there's already an all female Avengers in the comics. I thought this is just a node to that. The movie does alot of winks to the comics storylines.
to me it looked more like “we know powerful women are a thing right now, and we’re gonna exploit the shit out of that”. Just Hollywood doing its usual manufactured support that seems more self serving than actual support for something.

OneUnited24

to me it looked more like “we know powerful women are a thing right now, and we’re gonna exploit the shit out of that”. Just Hollywood doing its usual manufactured support that seems more self serving than actual support for something.
Ditto. Given the backlash from captain marvel it’s Disney’s marketing team working overtime. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a reshoot. I mean does princess Shiru even fight? What’s she doing on the battle field ?

MrGroovy

Hmm. My understanding :
- Cap returned to 2012 to return scepter and timestone
- Cap returned to Asgard (forgot the year) to return the aether (inject it back to Jane?)
- Cap returned to 2014 to return power stone and soul stone (no idea how)
- Cap returned to 1970 to return the tesseract, and decided to stay there with Peggy and grow old. So there are two Caps here, as one is still in ice cube.

Now the 1970 multiverse (or timeline) above should be different from the "main" multiverse right?
Old Cap shouldn't be able to appear in the bench in the "main" multiverse.

Also, I'm wondering with the above assumptions, are there 4 other multiverses besides the "main" multiverse, or do the team goes into a single alternate multiverse
Damn, time travel is confusing..

Grib

Great end, all fairly open what was coming leading up to every corner but hey was still great

One moment though

"We've only got enough vials to go and come back once because the old guy is deed and can't make more quantum juice"

Hmm that's a bit of a lazy way to add jeopardy, I mean why don't they just go back to when he's alive and take more juice..

"Oh no we fecked up, I know let's go back in time and get more juice!"

Mmmk:lol:

OneUnited24

Great end, all fairly open what was coming leading up to every corner but hey was still great

One moment though

"We've only got enough vials to go and come back once because the old guy is deed and can't make more quantum juice"

Hmm that's a bit of a lazy way to add jeopardy, I mean why don't they just go back to when he's alive and take more juice..

"Oh no we fecked up, I know let's go back in time and get more juice!"

Mmmk:lol:
i felt that added to the tension. I was sure one to them would have got stuck back in time and lost forever. It also gave Tony a chance to make peace with his dad. And cap to see Peggy

Ixion

Really fun film but a bit too long and one of those films that's best not to think about the plot too much. Lots of great moments but Infinity War was a better all round film, more solid and flowed better, this was a bit of a mess and required some convoluted logic.

Wasn't a fan of the ending for Captain America. Seems out of character

Reddy Rederson

Hmm. My understanding :
- Cap returned to 2012 to return scepter and timestone
- Cap returned to Asgard (forgot the year) to return the aether (inject it back to Jane?)
- Cap returned to 2014 to return power stone and soul stone (no idea how)
- Cap returned to 1970 to return the tesseract, and decided to stay there with Peggy and grow old. So there are two Caps here, as one is still in ice cube.

Now the 1970 multiverse (or timeline) above should be different from the "main" multiverse right?
Old Cap shouldn't be able to appear in the bench in the "main" multiverse.

Also, I'm wondering with the above assumptions, are there 4 other multiverses besides the "main" multiverse, or do the team goes into a single alternate multiverse
Damn, time travel is confusing..
multiverses are only confusing when badly written. And it was all fine right up until that cap moment. Once they did that they broke their own rules. Time travel as a concept can’t work without multiverses. For example if you were to travel back in time to kill hitler, he wouldn’t do any of the things that he did that made you want to go back and kill him, so you don’t, and then he does all those things. Cause and effect stuff. Just by being in a place, you would change things. So there’s no way caps could just go back, hang out with peg for 70 plus years then sit on a bench at the same time and place he left. If he did go back in time in the main universe, then he would have fecked it all up by inserting himself into pegs life. Fast forward to winter soldier and there’s no Sharon carter. No Sharon carter to help cap, caps fecked and doesn’t make it out of winter soldier. So how does he get to endgame? He can’t, unless the past he goes to isn’t his own. And if that’s the case, he shouldn’t be on that bench. He would be on a bench in whatever multiverse he ended up in.

They really shit the bed with that last scene.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Just got back from watching it. Really enjoyed it. Agree that infinity wars was the slightly stronger film of the two, but this was still excellent.

Snafu17

This is about as comicbooky as a movie can get and I love it. It feels deserved to pull this shit when you worked on it for 11 years.

multiverses are only confusing when badly written. And it was all fine right up until that cap moment. Once they did that they broke their own rules. Time travel as a concept can’t work without multiverses. For example if you were to travel back in time to kill hitler, he wouldn’t do any of the things that he did that made you want to go back and kill him, so you don’t, and then he does all those things. Cause and effect stuff. Just by being in a place, you would change things. So there’s no way caps could just go back, hang out with peg for 70 plus years then sit on a bench at the same time and place he left. If he did go back in time in the main universe, then he would have fecked it all up by inserting himself into pegs life. Fast forward to winter soldier and there’s no Sharon carter. No Sharon carter to help cap, caps fecked and doesn’t make it out of winter soldier. So how does he get to endgame? He can’t, unless the past he goes to isn’t his own. And if that’s the case, he shouldn’t be on that bench. He would be on a bench in whatever multiverse he ended up in.

They really shit the bed with that last scene.
The one way it makes sense is, if Old Cap just came back from his reality a few hours before they send Normal Cap back just to say goodbye and give them the shield. I mean he kind of had considering his shield in this timeline would be broken? Either way it's a comic book time travel movie, I think the answer is "don't think about it".

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Infinity Wars was better but some of the visuals in this were incredible. One of them is for sure going as my screen saver.
On to the bad bit, Disney checking the Feminism box.

it’s a cool scene, but for Christ sake I’m done with these forced feminism moments, “Equality” just so happens that every single female superhero happens to be at that area of the battlefield at that exact moment. Awful. “She’s not alone” and I’m sorry but given Captain Marvel is clearly the strongest person there I’m sure she can easily make it from here to there without there help.

Reddy Rederson

This is about as comicbooky as a movie can get and I love it. It feels deserved to pull this shit when you worked on it for 11 years.

The one way it makes sense is, if Old Cap just came back from his reality a few hours before they send him back (or he came back through another way) just to say goodbye and give them the shield. I mean he kind of had considering his shield in this timeline would be broken? Either way it's a comic time travel movie, I think the answer is "don't think about it".
which is a cop out. If youre going to set up the rules and piss all over other time travel movies at the same time, you cant then piss all over your own rules and say "its just a comic book movie". He couldnt have come back to anywhere except that spot on the machine. They fecked it up so they could have a bitter sweet farewell for cap. Which is silly, as they could have just had him reappear as planned but as an old man having lived a full life with peg in the other universe and then he came back once she died. Wheres that shield coming from? Theres only one. And hes had it that whole time. If he takes it in the past, then how does it he get it in 2012? Him sitting on that bench, fecks up everything. And I do mean everything. He stays in the past, the main universe past and interacts with people, changing destinys left and right. A simple tweak of that scene and all is well. Style over substance.

It didnt impact my enjoyment of the film, but its a huge gapping plot whole and one that could so easily have been avoided and they would have the very first time travel movie that made sense.

Snafu17

which is a cop out. If youre going to set up the rules and piss all over other time travel movies at the same time, you cant then piss all over your own rules and say "its just a comic book movie". He couldnt have come back to anywhere except that spot on the machine. They fecked it up so they could have a bitter sweet farewell for cap. Which is silly, as they could have just had him reappear as planned but as an old man having lived a full life with peg in the other universe and then he came back once she died. Wheres that shield coming from? Theres only one. And hes had it that whole time. If he takes it in the past, then how does it he get it in 2012? Him sitting on that bench, fecks up everything. And I do mean everything. He stays in the past, the main universe past and interacts with people, changing destinys left and right. A simple tweak of that scene and all is well. Style over substance.

It didnt impact my enjoyment of the film, but its a huge gapping plot whole and one that could so easily have been avoided and they would have the very first time travel movie that made sense.
Well yeah it's obviously is style over substance. They could've just had him appear at the time machine but I guess they felt the scene would play out better the way it did. They just traded a gap in logic that the fan must fill on his own, for what they felt was a better scene. I think somewhere between Pym particles and literal magic they stopped caring over 100 % internal consistency. Which I think is fine because these movies don't take themselves to seriously anyway. I guess it might affect future movies, but they're usually good at avoiding drawing attention at nonsense. I mean, rules about time are not really consistent within the universe as it is. They state you can't change your past but both Thanos and Strange did that at some point.

Last edited:

Oldyella

Just caught it. Absolutely loved it. Very different movie to Infinity War but I much preferred this.