Film Avengers: Endgame (2019)

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
You've never seen a Forbes list? :eek:

There's a reason why there are numerous lists for everything around, from best selling books, best selling football shirt, most popular TV show, etc etc. I don't see your issue with the all time box office record.

Plenty of people are interested in all sorts of lists/comparisons.
No I am not interested in which film takes the most money. Nobody I have ever met has been. I am merely saying I have heard lots of people discussing sporting records.

So I would suggest there is far more interest in that rather than money lists from my experience.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That's different. You care about certain things because they are important to you - the question here is about why this is important to people. It's an honest question on my side, I just find it strange.
Personally, I'd say I'm quite interested in seeing Avatar get replaced by Endgame. Why? Firstly, because I like the MCU and have done from a young age, and secondly, I don't see the fascination in Avatar.

And, as for my initial point, none of anything really matters.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No I am not interested in which film takes the most money. Nobody I have ever met has been. I am merely saying I have heard lots of people discussing sporting records.

So I would suggest there is far more interest in that rather than money lists from my experience.
I'm not trying to convince you to be interested, just pointing out that all sorts of people are interested in all sorts of records.

I'd argue there are more people interested in who's the richest man on the planet than any sports record.

hungrywing

Why do people care about whether it surpasses Avatar at box office? It's a genuine question, I dont understand at all.
Completely understandable that you find it not understandable. tl;dr It just looks like that.

About 80-85% of it is people who absolutely ultimately unequivocally could not care less. And about 5-10% of it is people actually really invested in it 'surpassing Avatar at the box office.'

So to sort of answer your question, it's only about 5-10% of people who really care if it 'breaks the record'. hth

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
An adaptation of Secret Wars (minus Iron Man and Cpt.America) with Dr. Doom as the next big thing, with Spider-Man and Cpt.Marvel at the front? Too bad MCU doesn't have ther rights of Fantastic4/Doom.
I think Disney got the rights back for them with the Fox deal?

SirAF

Ageist
Scarlett Jo is in the same region as I am right now. Shooting a scene for a new Marvel movie. Didn’t know where else to put it :lol:

Unless something got Lost in Translation and it’s not her.

Last edited:

stevoc

I don't think i understand why people care how much certain movies gross either, each to their own though.

Ironically it's probably no less strange and arguably stranger that it seems to annoy some that a few people for whatever reason want a particular movie to beat another Movies gross.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think Disney got the rights back for them with the Fox deal?
I'm fairly sure Disney have everything now. There was a report recently about them leaving X-Men for a number of years so it's not rebooted too soon, but Fantastic Four could well be part of the MCU very soon, particularly as the most recent reboot was a flop, so they could help fill the Iron Man/Captain America void a bit.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'm fairly sure Disney have everything now. There was a report recently about them leaving X-Men for a number of years so it's not rebooted too soon, but Fantastic Four could well be part of the MCU very soon, particularly as the most recent reboot was a flop, so they could help fill the Iron Man/Captain America void a bit.
I've read before that the Namor license is more complicated than all the others but I'm not sure of the exact details. May well be that that's sorted now.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I've read before that the Namor license is more complicated than all the others but I'm not sure of the exact details. May well be that that's sorted now.
A quick Google suggests they don't have full rights to Hulk (which is why he's not had a film since the one they did in partnership with Universal in 2008) and Namor.

Couldn't find any word on Venom, who is seemingly still owned by Sony.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yes. They have full control over most of their IPs apart from Spiderman, Hulk and Venom as far as I'm aware. Those still belong to Sony and another company.

starman

I wonder how they are going to incorporate the X-Men, or whether its going to be a separate universe.
Maybe mutants started to appear following the Thanos span..

lawliet354

I wonder how they are going to incorporate the X-Men, or whether its going to be a separate universe.
Maybe mutants started to appear following the Thanos span..
What I'm more interested in is will the MCU stick with the general theme of Fox's X-Men with humans vs mutants? In the MCU I think the public generally accepted the superheroes, mutants or not, so I don't know if the whole humans vs mutants thing will work like before.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't understand why people don't understand why people care about movie grosses. How else are you going to find out how good a movie has been, Rotten tomatoes/Metacritic can be gamed.

Oldyella

What I'm more interested in is will the MCU stick with the general theme of Fox's X-Men with humans vs mutants? In the MCU I think the public generally accepted the superheroes, mutants or not, so I don't know if the whole humans vs mutants thing will work like before.
It's always been a weird issue in the comics why one is accepted and not the other. You need to lean into mutants replacing humanity which is why they are not so easily accepted, but in real life? feck that get rid of us and give us all laser beams that shoot from our eyes!!

Re mutants, was captain marvel a mutant? She absorbed all that energy somehow.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I don't understand why people don't understand why people care about movie grosses. How else are you going to find out how good a movie has been, Rotten tomatoes/Metacritic can be gamed.
How is that an indication of how good a movie has been? Shouldn't your personal enjoyment be the only criteria for that?

kps88

For a movie like this it doesn't really matter but, in general, I do care about the box office when a movie I like bombs. Booksmart is a great original new comedy that's doing really badly at the box office. That's sad to see and probably means studios aren't going to want to take a risk on similar movies in the future.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Probably won't get it but will get bloody close. All it'll take is a rerelease next year for whatever reason and it's there's.

Sylar

If avatar is rerelased before the sequel, does the money gained from that count to it's total (I'm guessing it does?)

I wonder if some of these movies (aladdin, John wick ) not being released now but in a few weeks instead would have been better for end game

Sylar

So its about 45m$ short worldwide. Apparently theres gonna be a re-release before Spidey, but with additional footage. Interesting.

Sylar

Is that official? Is that happening?:drool::) It could break the 3 billion barrier.
This was what I read:
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/0...atrical-re-release-extra-footage-kevin-feige/

While attending the Spider-Man: Far From Home press junket in London, ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis spoke exclusively with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, who confirmed that Avengers: Endgame was heading back to the big screen for a theatrical re-release. Not only that, but this version of the film will arrive with extra scenes that weren't included in the first theatrical release.

"We are doing that," Feige said of an Endgame re-release with new footage. "I don't know if it's been announced. And I don't know how much... Yeah, we're doing it next weekend."

Ainu

I only just watched it this weekend and I have to say, this was an absolute win for me. On its own, there are several better movies set in the MCU, but as the culmination of over a decade and 21 movies worth of build up, I've never seen anything like it and I doubt I ever will. I didn't think I had that much emotional investment in the characters but this movie proved me wrong. There were actual tears, that's never happened to me with a movie or tv show. It's weird that it took a blockbuster superhero movie for that to happen, but it did.

Is it the ultimate fan-service movie? Absolutely, and I'm glad it is. Its big moments worked so well for me because they felt earned, after all that time we spent with these characters. The chill down my spine during that "Avengers... assemble" scene! And of course the big death and funeral. What a ride it was.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not sure, certainly in the US/Canada. It's still on in Hong Kong and Japan.
That's interesting. Films get pulled here as new ones enter the rotation, well demoted from the biggest screens (IMAX) and slowly phased out of the big chains entirely. Bet it's not easy to find a showing of it anywhere in the UK now.

Didn't think it'd do much more this run, with the possible remake taking it over the line.

Andersons Dietician

That's interesting. Films get pulled here as new ones enter the rotation, well demoted from the biggest screens (IMAX) and slowly phased out of the big chains entirely. Bet it's not easy to find a showing of it anywhere in the UK now.

Didn't think it'd do much more this run, with the possible remake taking it over the line.
Still showing in Aberdeen like a couple of times a day.