Average Positions

DoctorEvil

That cluster of CMs is strange to me. They'd normally be the best passers on the pitch so if those three spread out more it might open up more angles to attack from. The wide players have defensive responsibilities that they ideally shouldn't need to have with a three man midfield behind them and this graphic seems to highlight the problem here, i.e., that midfield is simply not spread out enough. It's as though their primary job is to make sure nothing squeezes through them in the centre of the pitch, but it's a tactic that is severely restricting us in an attacking sense.

Also, Lindelof seems to be too far to the left. I understand being wider to receive a pass, but he was too wide for the penalty that we conceded and probably the whole thing could have been avoided if he had been more central at the time.

I'd be interested to see the graphic for the Leicester game to see if there are some similarities there.
I think that for our three CM's the average position may not give enough information, and one needs more stats before condluding anything. If our three CM's constantly change places their average may appear central even if they are deneclty spaced. (As long as the trio are mostly arranged around the center of the field.)

MUFC OK

We don't run in behind often enough when teams actually come out at us. it's a defenders nightmare to have fast players like Martial, Lukaku and Rashford looking to get in behind you so why aren't we doing it? It's basically all Liverpool do, win the ball back quickly and knock it into the channels for Mane/Salah. Mata at RW has hopefully seen its last appearance and we can start to actually intimidate teams with pace.

JK-27

Has anyone else seen this?

No real point in taking anything from these stats, it's 2 games.

Look we played 2, won 1, lost 1, scored 4, conceded 4. And for a side that literally looks clueless in attack, we're still averaging 2 goals a game (as we did last season)!

MrBest

Has anyone else seen this?

this paints the current picture. the additional defender he wanted cannot change them stats. The fact is, our players have no confidence, whether thats because they dont have mentality for united or whether Jose is just not the right man is another story.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Does anyone have average position maps from some of Mourinho's title winning sides in either Portugal, Spain, Italy or England? It would be interesting to compare with a successful Jose side

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't really care about stats anymore. I see s poor side everytime I watch us. He has to go.