Away Goals Rule may be Scrapped from UEFA Club Competitions

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

This is a sudden development. I wasn't really expecting this at any point, but if this passes, this could be a major change in European competitions. Would the member associations follow suit with their respective cup competitions? How would this impact non-European intercontinental competitions? Could this lead to more fixtures at neutral venues?

Several years ago, I wasn't really a fan of the away goals rule, and that was partially influenced by Bayern's run to the Champions League final in the 2009/10 season. I used to think that the away teams didn't face so many of the obstacles that they used to face in past football eras. Nowadays, especially with no crowds, we've seen more wins for away teams as well as some major upsets (both in the leagues and cups) because of this rule. I'd still like to keep the away goals rule especially when crowds come back, but I wouldn't be upset at seeing it go away.

What do you guys think?

PoTMS

Good. Fed up of trying to keep count with away goals counting double.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
It's always been a stupid rule, so hope it happens.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is this the end of away yellow cards too?

Tapori

Pure money driven.
This way, a tied match in the 2nd leg extends to a further 30 mins plus pens more often than currently happens.
That extra 30 mins = more revenue?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Pure money driven.
This way, a tied match in the 2nd leg extends to a further 30 mins plus pens more often than currently happens.
How do you monetise 30 extra minutes?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Good. Away goals were always dumb. Brought in to encourage teams going for it more but it didn't have that effect at all IMO.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is this the end of away yellow cards too?
They can take away the away goals counting double but they better not even try taking away our away yellow cards counting double. That would be the final straw.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Good. Let’s just do away with draws as well. No extra time, just straight to pens in both legs.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Pure money driven.
In the majority of the cup competitions all around the world, rounds before the semi-finals tend to not have any extra time and go straight to penalties. If UEFA do scrap the away goals rule, then they must also make tied fixtures go straight to penalties until the semi-finals at the earliest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How do you monetise 30 extra minutes?
The longer the game, the more exposure advertising brands get.

The more often games go to extra time, the more they'll charge sponsors.

Plus more advert breaks before the extra time starts.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The longer the game, the more exposure advertising brands get.

The more often games go to extra time, the more they'll charge sponsors.

Plus more advert breaks before the extra time starts.
You think UEFA will profit from this?

Tapori

In the majority of the cup competitions all around the world, rounds before the semi-finals tend to not have any extra time and go straight to penalties. If UEFA do scrap the away goals rule, then they must also make tied fixtures go straight to penalties until the semi-finals at the earliest.
I see the issue now; extra time for one team favours the team playing at home in the 2nd leg with no "away goals" to balance this.
In hindsight, I don't want to see it scrapped.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
There's a market for everything.
In International markets you can run adds between the 2 extra time halves.
Many international markets have pop up overlay adds
Yeah I’m just wondering how UEFA monetise this. Do they sell the packages to broadcasters and say “by the way, now there’s no away goals it makes it slightly more likely you will get extra time”?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I see the issue now; extra time for one team favours the team playing at home in the 2nd leg with no "away goals" to balance this.
In hindsight, I don't want to see it scrapped.
That's one of the reasons why the ties go straight to penalties, the other being that extra time leads to a penalty shootout more often than not.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I really like what they did with the ucl “bubble” last year. Neutral venue one game knockout stage was really fun. should move to that if anything.
Yeah, that was fun and quick. As someone who doesn't go to live matches, I think I would enjoy the current European competitions more if all the leagues would do a winter break (some weeks during Dec-Jan) in the course of which the final rounds of the European competitions are played in quick succession at one location - so basically like the Euros. But of course it would limit fan access to their team's games due to travel costs and stadium allocation limitations.

Tapori

You scrap away goals and scrap extra time then it increases a teams ability to seek a draw so that they - according to their own tactics - play for penalties in the hope they have a better chance of winning the tie as Penalties are far more variable esp. for teams not as strong.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Good. Fed up of trying to keep count with away goals counting double.
I will miss confused people failing to do basic maths :(

Dominos

I just mentioned this in another thread.

Away goals is good for the spectator in that a team can go from losing the tie to winning the tie in just 1 goal, which is unique in football. You don't get excitement otherwise.

If the away goal rule is scrapped I think it should go straight to pens after 90 minutes. Extra time is often a borefest of fatigued players and players going down with cramp.

Jev

I've advocated this change for years. Always found it exceptionally unfair that you can draw 2-2 and 1-1 and then be declared the winner because the 2-2 game just happened to be at your home ground. More often than not, who gets the most away goals has more to do with luck than intent.

I also think the rules is too big a deterrent for the home side to attack and we'll have better, more adventurous games without it.

I've advocated this change for years. Always found it exceptionally unfair that you can draw 2-2 and 1-1 and then be declared the winner because the 2-2 game just happened to be at your home ground. More often than not, who gets the most away goals has more to do with luck than intent.

I also think the rules is too big a deterrent for the home side to attack and we'll have better, more adventurous games without it.
It also makes no sense that you might dominate an away game but lose 1-0 to a smash and grab, then dominate your home game, be 2-0 up and “lose” to a late goal against the run of play.

How the feck anyone thought that was “fair” is a moron.

Jev

It also makes no sense that you might dominate an away game but lose 1-0 to a smash and grab, then dominate your home game, be 2-0 up and “lose” to a late goal against the run of play.

The rule was created at a time when the penalty shootout wasn't invented. Back then, tied two-legged games were decided by a coin toss. So at the time it was preferable. It's just one of those things that stuck around and people forgot to ask whether it actually made sense. A shootout is a much more reasonable tiebreaker than the randomness of the away goals rule.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't see this as particularly more unfair than dominating an away game in league competition and losing 1-0 to a smash and grab.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Personally keep away goals until the 90th minute of the second leg. If there is a draw then, go straight to penalties. Extra time is usually dire and seems to end up with penalties more often than not anyway.

My problem with away goals was that the team away in the second leg, always had an option of an extra 30 minutes of the rule. Other than that I think it is a decent enough rule.

shahzy

So now more parking the bus. How is this good?

If anything they should have scrapped away goals during extra time. Because then the home team is basically screwed if the away team score 1.

Cloud7

The away goals rule is crap and always encourages the home team to be too cagey and defensive. Good riddance, I say.

Siorac

Good riddance. A fundamentally unfair rule that should have gone long ago.

Riz

Well actually you’d be declared the loser in that example.