Axel Tuanzebe

dichinero

Only me that finds it really weird that Mourinho's justification for Tuanzebe to have a start or more minutes is the departure of a midfielder and a winger? (‘We lost Morgan Schneiderlin and Memphis Depay, two players who didn't play many minutes or many matches for us. They were two players from the squad, so we need numbers and probably Axel is one of the boys that's in the Academy who is more close to playing with us.’) I mean, even if Fosu-Mensah is now counting as midfielder, unless there are some serious injuries to our center-backs, there's almost no chance for Tuanzebe to even make the bench.

I guess these statements are more a way to justify to the player not being loaned in January.
Tbh, I feel like these extra players just serve as extra cones during training and nothing more. TFM is not getting any minutes with the reserves, none with the first team, not going on loan, just for training purposes. Like sparring partners.

There's no point getting excited about a pic with a youth player training with the team.

Sid234

I think Jose might be implying that he now has more spots in 1st team training free for youngsters like Axel to start full time training with the 1st team.We might also see him make the bench more often now.. Morgan leaving will help TFM more than Axel in terms of 1st team opportunities.

ti vu

I think Jose might be implying that he now has more spots in 1st team training free for youngsters like Axel to start full time training with the 1st team.We might also see him make the bench more often now.. Morgan leaving will help TFM more than Axel in terms of 1st team opportunities.
That's what I see. Just like how TFM had been since the start of this campaign training more with first team. There is still a road from being part of the first team to actually getting into matchday squad, then playing time. It's up to the players to impress. If they good enough, they're old enough, and force Mourinho's hand.

I think it's healthy competition. TBH, I am never the fan of SAF's latter year's Wenger esque policy regarding the domestic Cups. With hindsight both teams didn't develop that many quality first teamers in the end. They look promising individuals, but couldn't make the most of their chance once counted as first team players. And both teams had period where we slagged of in domestic Cup. SAF had the benefit of the challenge & winning the titles while Wenger simply turned Arsenal into outsider of title challenging.

Anustart89

Nah, it's just a case of less numbers. His chances haven't really increased, he's just gone from number 25(?) to 23 with two departures in the team.
I also think that Smalling's played himself out of the team with his recent performances, which obviously increases Axel's chances.

Bruno8

Random thoughts......

Jose is not too keen on Smalling and can see him selling Smalling and promoting Axel

spenzo

I'm probably wrong but this is the type of thing the club do before a player makes their debut or steps up a level...

ariel

I'm probably wrong but this is the type of thing the club do before a player makes their debut or steps up a level...

Not necessarily. They do tend to do these kind of interviews during the season. It can also be connected to Goss leaving in order to gain playing time in another club. To show that not all youngsters share the same view of things.

spenzo

Not necessarily. They do tend to do these kind of interviews during the season. It can also be connected to Goss leaving in order to gain playing time in another club. To show that not all youngsters share the same view of things.
I know they do but to be so direct as to ask if he's going to be involved on Sunday? I don't know, that's out of the norm and was just was very interesting to me. Like I said though I'm probably wrong.

khoazany

He's been training with the first team very regularly recently. Only need a right time for him to make appearances.

Womp

idiot
Can he play as a DM or is this kid strictly a CB? Rarely watch the reserves but everyone seems hyped about his potential.

ROFLUTION

Random thoughts......

Jose is not too keen on Smalling and can see him selling Smalling and promoting Axel
Imagine if we shipped Smalling for 10-15m adding to the Depay (16m) and Schneiderlin-money (22m) and got to play an exciting prospect at the defence! Can't be worse than Smalling + we'd have around 50m to spent on transfer-candy :drool:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Imagine if we shipped Smalling for 10-15m adding to the Depay (16m) and Schneiderlin-money (22m) and got to play an exciting prospect at the defence! Can't be worse than Smalling + we'd have around 50m to spent on transfer-candy :drool:
Smalling 10-15m? You having a laugh, he would be double that, or else we shouldn't even consider it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He seems more like a Lingard in that he is smart tactically and has a good footballing brain. Reminds me of Ledley King in terms of style.. based entirely on youth football if you said pick one footballer who seems like he'd impress Jose the most and fit the bill for what he likes to see in footballers I reckon this kid would have the best chance but obviously things never quite work out so straight forward.

ariel

I know they do but to be so direct as to ask if he's going to be involved on Sunday? I don't know, that's out of the norm and was just was very interesting to me. Like I said though I'm probably wrong.
So, it seems you were right after all. good for him!

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I have an Tuanzebe chant to that tune in my head, no one will ever hear it
Nice one Click Fapcott, it may be similar to mine. Ax-el Tu-tu-an-zebe, Ax-EL Tu-tu-an-zebe, Axel Tuanzebe is hardcore doo doo doo doo [repeat]