Aymeric Laporte | Man City

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So lets us see how he gets on in the premier league. Might be a slow starter like Otamendi and it might take him the rest of the season for him to blend in.

Last edited:

Nero

Surely not another City player performance thread.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Injury prone, but one of the best young defenders in the world when he gets consistent run of games. I think he'll take Stones' place. Does everything Stones does but better.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
So, he replaces Kompany or Mangala?
Mangala will be out the door in the summer either way I think. He's not suited to the PL. Kompany is on a massive retirement lap of honour for the last two years. I think he comes in to compliment Otamendi.

Whoever is in better form out of Stones and Laporte will start.

Also, isn't this about 500m City have spent on defenders now?

Sandyman

Mangala will be out the door in the summer either way I think. He's not suited to the PL. Kompany is on a massive retirement lap of honour for the last two years. I think he comes in to compliment Otamendi.

Whoever is in better form out of Stones and Laporte will start.

Also, isn't this about 500m City have spent on defenders now?
Who knows? It's difficult to keep track. And, now 60million for Mahrez. This transfer window has been crazy. Hope Laporte never settles well so Pep has to shell out again to strengthen his squad.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I was reading bluemoon, there was a guy there claiming he is cheap as chips.

Although he went on to say that he could be there for next 10 years.

arthurka

Great deal for City how much is it in total... ? 200-300m Ballsack must have put that on his Twatter account..

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I was reading bluemoon, there was a guy there claiming he is cheap as chips.

Although he went on to say that he could be there for next 10 years.
I guess as with many players who have buy out clauses set a few years ago it can now look quite a decent price
Umtiti around 50m
Griezman at 90m
And tbh I think laporte is a better player and better value than van dijk
I wouldn't go so far as to say cheep as chips but potentially a good buy at a decent price

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think we've the 70th biggest defence budget in the world now, we've spent more than the likes of Afghanistan and Albania

J_Red 11

I think we've the 70th biggest defence budget in the world now, we've spent more than the likes of Afghanistan and Albania
This guy hasn't even got his senior international debut as well and already broke your transfer record.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
This guy hasn't even got his senior international debut as well and already broke your transfer record.
Just as De Bruyne was a 'Chelsea flop' as the previous record signing (which he sort of still is if we're talking about euros), so while the price seems ridiculous, it's not the end of the world I guess.

J_Red 11

Just as De Bruyne was a 'Chelsea flop' as the previous record signing (which he sort of still is if we're talking about euros), so while the price seems ridiculous, it's not the end of the world I guess.
De Bruyne had performed very well in Wolfsburg and already nailed down his XI spot with national team. But Laporte hasn't even get his international debut while the likes of Mangala had since 5 years ago. Not saying Laporte is a flop, but it's very very overpriced.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair, Laporte has a lot of folks saying he is overrated. De Brunye had an undeniably incredible season before he joined City.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In France, Laporte is mainly considered as an overrated player, certainly because nobody know him here and because he never played for France IIRC.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
De Bruyne had performed very well in Wolfsburg and already nailed down his XI spot with national team. But Laporte hasn't even get his international debut while the likes of Mangala had since 5 years ago. Not saying Laporte is a flop, but it's very very overpriced.
Don't let the lack of NT appearances for Laporte muddle an assessment of the player, the FFF is an odd lot when it comes to these matters

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In France, Laporte is mainly considered as an overrated player, certainly because nobody know him here and because he never played for France IIRC.
That's nonsense and you know it. In France Laporte isn't a subject, he isn't considered as an overrated player because we don't think or talk about him.;)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That's nonsense and you know it. In France Laporte isn't a subject, he isn't considered as an overrated player because we don't think or talk about him.;)
Indeed, France isn't a football country as the others :)

J_Red 11

Don't let the lack of NT appearances for Laporte muddle an assessment of the player, the FFF is an odd lot when it comes to these matters
It's odd I agree. But he's clearly unproven and still very overpriced. Varane, Kimpembe & Umiti seem to be way way ahead of him.

JPRouve

Scout
It's odd I agree. But he's clearly unproven and still very overpriced. Varane, Kimpembe & Umiti seem to be way way ahead of him.
It's not odd, he injured himself when he would have been selected and Umtiti, Kimpembe took his place. France don't really need more CBs at the moment.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Depends on your perspective I suppose, I've followed French football even before I followed Spanish football. There are a great many oddities and team selection is no different. A lot has been written about Laporte and Les Bleus, especially there has been discussions & pressure to play for Spain but I think the player definitely wants to represent France. But if Lopetegui calls him up when Deschamps has largely ignored him, then I think he might turn - I hope he does. Truth is France has plenty of options but no one in that defense, not even Umtiti has Laporte's experience at the highest level in senior football. It's a strange one but as I have said, France is odd with these things

ZAGREB RED

His name has been bandied about recently as being someone a few big clubs are looking at, but to be honest not really seen much of him.

J_Red 11

It's not odd, he injured himself when he would have been selected and Umtiti, Kimpembe took his place. France don't really need more CBs at the moment.
Depends on your perspective I suppose, I've followed French football even before I followed Spanish football. There are a great many oddities and team selection is no different. A lot has been written about Laporte and Les Bleus, especially there has been discussions & pressure to play for Spain but I think the player definitely wants to represent France. But if Lopetegui calls him up when Deschamps has largely ignored him, then I think he might turn - I hope he does. Truth is France has plenty of options but no one in that defense, not even Umtiti has Laporte's experience at the highest level in senior football. It's a strange one but as I have said, France is odd with these things
Honestly, both of you have said different here so I don't know who I should trust :lol:

The issue is that he has never get the call (correct me if I'm wrong), so France "don't really need more CBs" shouldn't be an excuse for not getting call. National team tends to call more than 25 players and select them again after the first or second training. I'm pretty sure Laporte's name was known first before Umititi and Kimpembe, but both of those players got their debut first.

The injury was also another 2nd issue here for calling him very overpriced at the moment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Laporte was fast and a good passer, good in the air and was also a good defender. Not sure if the injury may have affected his pace. Bilbao fans commented that Nunez and Yeray have got him out of trouble a number of times over the last couple of seasons. He still makes a lot a passes, so it will depend who he is paired with. He may need like at Bilbao as get stuck in defender next to him. If they pair him with Stones and they both go walkabout, it could be fun. Interesting that a back three has been mentioned. This may happen. He also picks up quite a lot of yellows, but that could just be Spanish referees and he might get away with more here, but the pace of the PL may make it worse.

JPRouve

Scout
Honestly, both of you have said different here so I don't know who I should trust :lol:

The issue is that he has never get the call (correct me if I'm wrong), so France "don't really need more CBs" shouldn't be an excuse for not getting call. National team tends to call more than 25 players and select them again after the first or second training. I'm pretty sure Laporte's name was known first before Umititi and Kimpembe, but both of those players got their debut first.

The injury was also another 2nd issue here for calling him very overpriced at the moment.
Laporte has been around the team for a long time, he has been training with them. But since he wasn't needed he was let at the disposable of the U21 since they needed him and he was their captain. Umtiti and Kimpembe joined the team because of circumstances in the case of Umtiti it's because of Laporte's injury.

charlie9882

Injury prone, but one of the best young defenders in the world when he gets consistent run of games. I think he'll take Stones' place. Does everything Stones does but better.
He's missed 4 games through injury since the 15/16 season when he fractured his fibula. That's not injury prone.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace

It can't be used as an excuse, I agree. I think in many FAs, the players who play abroad tend to get overlooked even if they will represent at the youth level - perhaps it has to do with senior team chemistry, not sure. But even Griezmann flirted with playing for Portugal because he wasn't getting called up. Umtiti is probably the nailed on starter at that left sided CB role but no reason why Laporte shouldn't be there - that's on the FFF

But like I said, I hope he plays for Spain as even the player has recently acknowledged that the Spanish FA has shown far more interest in him than the FFF

Remember, Varane over Laporte :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
It can't be used as an excuse, I agree. I think in many FAs, the players who play abroad tend to get overlooked even if they will represent at the youth level - perhaps it has to do with senior team chemistry, not sure. But even Griezmann flirted with playing for Portugal because he wasn't getting called up. Umtiti is probably the nailed on starter at that left sided CB role but no reason why Laporte shouldn't be there - that's on the FFF

But like I said, I hope he plays for Spain as even the player has recently acknowledged that the Spanish FA has shown far more interest in him than the FFF

Remember, Varane over Laporte :lol:
In the case of France that's nonsense, playing abroad is a plus while playing in France will require that you show something in CL.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In the case of France that's nonsense, playing abroad is a plus while playing in France will require that you show something in CL.
Could it be just the fact he didn't play for a fashionable club in Spain, so has moved to somewhere more high profile? It shouldn't matter, but just get the impression with some international managers that it does.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I hadn’t even seen City confirm this deal yet.

JPRouve

Scout
Could it be just the fact he didn't play for a fashionable club in Spain, so has moved to somewhere more high profile? It shouldn't matter, but just get the impression with some international managers that it does.
No, it's just that he was needed for the U21 and that he would have been on the bench for the Senior team. He was supposed to go to the Euro, Umtiti was behind him.

Edit: Just look at Pavard, he has been selected because there was a need for a player like him, despite the fact that he doesn't play for a fashionable team.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Laporte has cited this before when pressed on his exclusion from the NT, that perhaps the FFF view Marseilles in a better light than Bilbao but the guy has been a nailed on starter & leader for over 5 seasons. Moreover, the quality of football in the Primera is much higher than that in France and has been for many years