Aymeric Laporte | Man City

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Injury prone, but one of the best young defenders in the world when he gets consistent run of games. I think he'll take Stones' place. Does everything Stones does but better.
Definitely not injury prone and definitely not better on the ball than Stones

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Not injury prone but you're right about him taking Stones' place.
The injury thing is overplayed? I just heard about him picking up niggles, and that one real bad injury a year back. Not sure in terms of games missed, don't follow La Liga that closely admittedly, just followed Laporte when we were linked. (and for SM :devil:).

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Disagree. I think he's technically the better player. Stones is more prone to "wtf" moments. Both still young though.
WTF moments doesn't equate to who is better on the ball but experience. Similar age but Laporte has more than double the starts at a club with much more intensity/pressure than Everton.

They will make an interesting pair to anchor the central defense

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
WTF moments doesn't equate to who is better on the ball but experience. Similar age but Laporte has more than double the starts at a club with much more intensity/pressure than Everton.

They will make an interesting pair to anchor the central defense
I think Laporte is the better of the two. I also think he's coming in to give Stones competition, not to take Otamendi's place. Unless they routinely decide to play 352/343 I don't see Stones and Laporte playing together.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I think Laporte is the better of the two. I also think he's coming in to give Stones competition, not to take Otamendi's place. Unless they routinely decide to play 352/343 I don't see Stones and Laporte playing together.
Aymeric will be the left sided player and can also play LB in a pinch, certainly a more accomplished defender like Laporte will be good for the squad, competition etc. but I don't see Stones being sat in place of him. If anything, we'll see 3 at the back with Laporte, Otamendi & Stones. Either way City weren't in a position to go forward with Mangala and a crippled Kompany

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Disagree. I think he's technically the better player. Stones is more prone to "wtf" moments. Both still young though.
I agree that Stones was pretty abysmal last season. He's looking like a solid player now though and a much better defender (assume because he's settled in and less nervous).

Laporte is not injury prone though, he's had one bad injury and thats it, discounting that injury he's missed a total of 7 senior games to injury, that is actually a very good injury record given how much he's played. I'd say his passing is going to be a bit of a problem for Pep, it's not great. I think he'll be used as backup personally, rotating with Otamendi and Stones. He's not got enough experience to be a starting player for City yet and isn't used to being in a team that dominates the ball. I'm expecting a similar transition as Stones had in his first season.

He will eventually replace Otamendi though and they'll have Laporte and Stones as their CB partnership. The only issue with that lineup is that they wont score many goals which Otamendi does bring.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
'd say his passing is going to be a bit of a problem for Pep, it's not great. I think he'll be used as backup personally, rotating with Otamendi and Stones. He's not got enough experience to be a starting player for City yet and isn't used to being in a team that dominates the ball. I'm expecting a similar transition as Stones had in his first season.
I agree with this. Stones' passing statistics are great, but I think Laporte's will be too in any side that is so possession based.

Having said that, I hope he turns out shit.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Is Sturridge playing? Give him a lesson Daniel.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
The boy can play a cross field ball that’s for sure. Didn’t get tested at all defensively though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Speaking at a press conference after the match, Alan Pardew spoke glowingly of Laporte and warned his fellow league managers that City have another “asset” on their hands.

“Laporte I thought was terrific,” the West Brom boss said. “His passing from left to right was a problem for us.

“I’ve got bad news for other Premier League managers – they’ve got another asset, not just a defensive one but an offensive one too with his passing.

“Good luck to everybody else.”

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
Brilliant debut and was hardly tested though tougher tests await in the vicinity.
Looks like a solid prospect.

IrishRedDevil

Speaking at a press conference after the match, Alan Pardew spoke glowingly of Laporte and warned his fellow league managers that City have another “asset” on their hands.

“Laporte I thought was terrific,” the West Brom boss said. “His passing from left to right was a problem for us.

“I’ve got bad news for other Premier League managers – they’ve got another asset, not just a defensive one but an offensive one too with his passing.

“Good luck to everybody else.”
Yeah, their fantastic network of scouts unearthed this unknown gem for such a small fee, so thanks for the heads up, Pardew :houllier: What an obvious and pointless thing to say about a rival player.

We all know the £60m defender is highly rated with good qualities.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Yeah, their fantastic network of scouts unearthed this unknown gem for such a small fee, so thanks for the heads up, Pardew :houllier: What an obvious and pointless thing to say about a rival player.

We all know the £60m defender is highly rated with good qualities.
In fact, Pardew, apart from being a prick by design, is part of the ABU cartel according to my sources.

Denis79

So how much did he cost poor cash strapped Pep?
If we count how they did with Sanchez, wages, transfer fee etc... 150M?

Pep and the media are so full of shit it's incredible. 2 Weeks ago the talk was about how we throw money while St. Pep was a shrewd manager. 2 weeks ago!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I thought he was very poor for Vardy's goal yesterday. Absolutely no idea what to do as he knew he had match to Vardy's pace. I can see his speed - or lack thereof - being a major issue for him and City.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Seems to be their third choice now. City have 100M worth of CBs sitting on their bench. Early days though. Kompany's their captain and Otamendi has been their best defender so not going to be easy to get in ahead of either.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I've been really impressed with him, think he's going to be a mainstay for years (as he should be costing £60m) people were mentioning his lack of pace but I've not seen any evidence that he lacks pace in the last few games he's played, he's not rapid but his positioning is pretty decent to allow him to react to players running at him, and his passing is excellent, really think he'll be our first pick centre half next season in the games against the other top 6.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Haven't seen enough of him at City, outside of those UCL QF clashes with Liverpool (he started both, didn't he?), which is probably not the best matches to have judged him tbh.

Who do you think will be your preferred starting CB pairing @Thunderhead - Otamendi and Laporte? With Stones keeping Vincent company as backup?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think we may go 3 at the back quite a bit next season Otamendi - Stone/Kompany - Laporte, but yeah in a back 4 I'd say Otamendi - Laporte is probably the best for the league and in the CL I'd replace Otamendi for Komapny as I still think Otamendi's rashness and over eagerness to nick the ball still causes us problems against the top teams.

Really hope Stones, now he's over his injury rediscovers his pre-christmas form of this season where for the most part he was excellent.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've been really impressed with him, think he's going to be a mainstay for years (as he should be costing £60m) people were mentioning his lack of pace but I've not seen any evidence that he lacks pace in the last few games he's played, he's not rapid but his positioning is pretty decent to allow him to react to players running at him, and his passing is excellent, really think he'll be our first pick centre half next season in the games against the other top 6.
At £60m as you say it’s coming it’s hard to get a poor player. Especially when the teams flying but time will tell he looks a good player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think we may go 3 at the back quite a bit next season Otamendi - Stone/Kompany - Laporte, but yeah in a back 4 I'd say Otamendi - Laporte is probably the best for the league and in the CL I'd replace Otamendi for Komapny as I still think Otamendi's rashness and over eagerness to nick the ball still causes us problems against the top teams.

Really hope Stones, now he's over his injury rediscovers his pre-christmas form of this season where for the most part he was /QUOTE]

He still really needs to cut out mistakes big time even when playing well they are there in the background. Rio had this aimed at him when he was younger also but he was nowhere near as error prone or did he have defensive lapses like John does. He has potential but he’s hardly playing now and I worry about him in the World Cup being a scapegoat.

charlie9882

He's looked okay but nothing exceptional in my opinion.
He's been City's best CB since coming in. I would use the word exceptional.

He has the defensive capabilities of Kompany, blended with the ability on the ball of Stones. He has a huge amount of potential and I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him lauded as one of the best in the league at the end of next season.

Like with VVD, there's a reason no one has bat an eyelid at his transfer figure yet - because he's been producing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
France call up.....?
If he doesn't get one now he never will. Koscielny being injured might work in his favour as Deschamp has always said he sees him as a LB, even though he has rarely played there. He was his U-21 captain until the leg break, but he constantly snubbed him apart from maybe once for the senior squad. Maybe Deschamps doesn't like Bilbao even though he is Basque himself. Another reason for me to dislike him.

crossy1686

career ending

He has the defensive capabilities of Kompany, blended with the ability on the ball of Stones. He has a huge amount of potential and I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him lauded as one of the best in the league at the end of next season.

Like with VVD, there's a reason no one has bat an eyelid at his transfer figure yet - because he's been producing.
What? He's played 9 times since January and most of those were cup games when City were eliminated. He's looked bang average but that's expected for a CB coming in during the January window.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Anyway, the very least this has showed is that the argument "he's not even an international player, how can he cost that much" is such a lazy one. Same happened with Fernandinho, mind.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
What? He's played 9 times since January and most of those were cup games when City were eliminated. He's looked bang average but that's expected for a CB coming in during the January window.
since making his debut he's started 13 games, didn't feature in the other 7 and the only 'big' game you could say he missed was the defeat by united but that was because he was playing the CL games it was sandwiched between.

TheReligion

Abusive

Have to disagree. Far from exceptional. With regards to VVD he's made mistake after mistake and there are plenty of people talking about the ridiculous fee.

You must be living under a rock.