Aymeric Laporte | Txiki doesn't forgive (except for when he does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
The best ball-playing CBs in the world by far are Bayern’s: Boateng and Hummels. Neither Laporte or Stones come close in terms of passing ability from the back.
Stones is on level of Hummels when it comes to ball playing, and Laporte is probably on Boateng level at that IMO.

Anyway, you're probably right, but regardless, they are top 5 on that. Which is all that matters.

E-mal

Stones is on level of Hummels when it comes to ball playing, and Laporte is probably on Boateng level at that IMO.

Anyway, you're probably right, but regardless, they are top 5 on that. Which is all that matters.
Ramos, Silva, pique, Bonnucci, Hummelstown, Boateng, even Varane and Umtiti could probably be argued.

Nick7

That's the norm in Spain and Italy
What I wonder, is there a miscommunication? Like UK based guys report before tax, as is usual, and Spanish or Italian based guys think it's after tax. With regards to English transfers

RedDevil@84

We don't need a high profile defender pleeez...

Edit: City definitely needs him for 300k pw though :D

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If they sign him, they've spent close to £250 mill on defenders.
Impressive, considering Sanchez was too expensive.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Ballague is a KFA and a weirdo. There's always few of these associated with certain clubs.

tomaldinho1

Don't get why people are losing themselves here - a relatively young player who ppl rate as a good prospect, changing leagues and going into a dominant team for an embarrassingly high fee. He'll probably look good, just as Stones has looked good this season but will it really alter how good their first team is?

Will just give depth to an already star studded line up and take the piss of FFP

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am pissed . Where are now comments about spending? Where is his whole wage with all bonusses, fees, after tax and on full contract length? Where are titles about morale?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Jonny Evans for £3m business is obviously being fed to the media by City. They're "looking for bargains" obviously, they're not just about spending a fortune on the best talents.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What I wonder, is there a miscommunication? Like UK based guys report before tax, as is usual, and Spanish or Italian based guys think it's after tax. With regards to English transfers
Think iin this case the report is coming out of Spain and for once british media might have picked up the after tax part, which they usually miss

Generally yeah, there tends to be miscommunication in that regard

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
If Pep doesn't win the UCL this season or at least reaches the final, this signing is going to be one of the nails in his coffin

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
If Pep doesn't win the UCL this season or at least reaches the final, this signing is going to be one of the nails in his coffin
There's hyperbole and then there's this.

SATA

Wow 60m quid for a defender? And i thought the defender that the dippers signed from Southampton was absurd enough

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
There's hyperbole and then there's this.
They aint going to fire him. He will win the league this year.
I'm talking about when times turn harder on him with City, not an actual sacking. One of the only things he gets criticized for after his Barcelona sting were his signings, I think Laporte is in the same "Chygrynskiy" bracket of failure, only 50M higher and with players like Stones who he asked for already in the team.

Spirit of Solskjaer

Has his form fallen off a cliff this season or something? I'm reading the comments on Marca's article about the move and none of the Bilbao fans seem the least bit bothered, saying it's a great piece of business and calling him overrated :confused:

Reactions: Sultan

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Has his form fallen off a cliff this season or something? I'm reading the comments on Marca's article about the move and none of the Bilbao fans seem the least bit bothered, saying it's a great piece of business and calling him overrated :confused:
Sound like Everton fans when they shopped Stones to Pep FC. :lol:

Still think Eric Bailly is the best centre back any team in the league has signed recently.

Andersons Dietician

Lets just forget about the 60m on the transfer fee then?

The hypocrisy is based on city complaining about money yet spending it by the truckload.
Did they complain or did they simply concede that they can’t compete with those sort of numbers and don’t value his need as highly as we do?
Add in the supposed sign on fee and the 7.4 mil a year extra he gets Laporte over the course of 5 years will work out cheaper than Sanchez.
Personally I don’t care we had to pay so much to get Sanchez, just think far too many United fans be salty and are looking for any excuse to be a little extra and then hiding the truth to be that.
Who really cares we had to pay a Butt load to get one of the very best players around. That’s what you have to do at any club to get the best. Real pay loads for them, so do Barca, i’d Rather we spent the cash than scrimp and miss out.

As for Laporte player I’ve admired for years and if he plays to the level he can then they’ve got an outstanding young defender. Some of his performances against Messi in particular over the years have been out of this world. He’s a leader in defence, can play just as well as Stones but with the added bonus of wanting to defend first.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Still think Eric Bailly is the best centre back any team in the league has signed recently.
He is already better than Stones and will continue to get better under Pep. Think people are underestimating Laporte since no team has been after him for a year.

Spirit of Solskjaer

True, but the Everton comments would usually be accompanied by a swipe aimed at City which would give away the fact that really, they were bothered. The Bilbao fans seem genuinely happy.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He is already better than Stones and will continue to get better under Pep. Think people are underestimating Laporte since no team has been after him for a year.
I think he is a good player but I also think people are overestimating how easy it is to play centre half in the Premier League.

The referees are much more lenient in England, the ball gets played in the air a lot more, and a lot of how well you do in England is conditioned by physicality. Laporte has the advantage that he can play ball, and he will be protected both by City's possession play and Fernandinho. However, while I think his positional sense is better than Stones', there will be a learning curve. The likes of Vardy and Barnes will hunt, hassle and harry Laporte in a way he won't be used to in Spanish football. There will be times where he hits the deck and doesn't get the decision as easy as he would in La Liga.

True, but the Everton comments would usually be accompanied by a swipe aimed at City which would give away the fact that really, they were bothered. The Bilbao fans seem genuinely happy.
Fair play to them.

Jacko21

Not a chance this is happening.

I've just signed him on FIFA for Marseille. I've only had the lad a week.

No deal.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
And I think people are overrating Laporte, there's a reason no team went after him for a year (when for example Barcelona were flush with money and Laporte always was an objective), and why he's still waiting to play with a National Team but there's no war between the Spanish and French federations to rush him into their team.

If he was a top caliber players, either France would've forgiven him for flirting with the idea of playing with Spain, or Spain could've pressured him to debut with the team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think he is a good player but I also think people are overestimating how easy it is to play centre half in the Premier League.

The referees are much more lenient in England, the ball gets played in the air a lot more, and a lot of how well you do in England is conditioned by physicality. Laporte has the advantage that he can play ball, and he will be protected both by City's possession play and Fernandinho. However, while I think his positional sense is better than Stones', there will be a learning curve. The likes of Vardy and Barnes will hunt, hassle and harry Laporte in a way he won't be used to in Spanish football. There will be times where he hits the deck and doesn't get the decision as easy as he would in La Liga.

Fair play to them.
If they can get Yeray back playing, he was on the bench a couple of games ago, he and Unai Nunez could be a pairing for years. I do worry that Laporte might under estimate the pace of the PL, not that there are fast players, there are fast players in Spain. That as you say there is no time on the ball, some teams do not worry about using roughhouse tactics. I think he can be very good, but it might take some time to settle. Just realised Nunez is 6ft 1 so he is taller than I thought and Yeray is 6ft. I was convinced they were shorter than that.:lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pep thinking about the UCL or just desperate to spend some money after we got Sanchez from underneath his nose?

DomesticTadpole

Pep thinking about the UCL or just desperate to spend some money after we got Sanchez from underneath his nose?
Could be thinking about the CL. I mentioned earlier about Laporte being top of the interceptions before his injury. This season Unai Nunez is narrowly ahead on interceptions, but well ahead on blocks. Laporte is ahead of Nunez on passes and crosses. His pass % is around 83% not staggeringly good. Although Bilbao don't rely on having the ball.

DroV

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
I think Unai Núñez is, or at least will be, a better player. Laporte sometimes is soft and slow and use make big mistakes... I'd rather had paid 65M for Umtiti than 70M for Laporte. I'm glad Txiki didn't do it and we can keep the best CB in the world :drool:.

Revan

Assumptionman
UCL and long term. City have just two reliable CB, not surprising that they are going to get another one.

D4X73r

I don't know if this was already posted in here but I just read that Pep (if he buys Laporte this winter) have spent more for his defence as Real, Bayern and Benfica combined spent for players overall since July 2016.

DomesticTadpole

I don't know if this was already posted in here but I just read that Pep (if he buys Laporte this winter) have spent more for his defence as Real, Bayern and Benfica combined spent for players overall since July 2016.
You'll have to whisper that. Sacred Pep doesn't spend money he gets players free with his weekly grocery shopping.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why Benfica? Thats an odd team to look at.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
City will be able to field a back 4 of all £50m+ players with a £35m goalkeeper behind them. Amazing. That's not factoring in the £42m Mangala and £35mish Otamendi.

Njord

If he plays with Stones they will have a CB-pairing born just one day apart from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.