Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I realize this is a sensitive topic, so I felt the need to register to hopefully calm your fears a little.

While it's true that there is indeed a finite amount of bacon, this amount is not static. If you lead a successful campaign on the imperative need of bringing home the bacon, this would cause a positive shift in the demand for bacon.

Consequently, all else equal, the quantity produced would increase, leading to more bacon. Which is obviously a good thing.
I might want to have sex with you.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Falling a bit in love with Walt, here...

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I don't recall anyone advancing the argument that it has any effect on rape stats. But there is a decent argument that its flagrant use may desensitize people (particularly the core demographic of young males who commit rapes) to the act itself.
It desensitizes people to the negative connotations of the word. But to imply a correlation between being desensitized to the word and being desensitized to the thought/act of rape is probably of the the most stupid things I've ever heard.

DOTA

It desensitizes people to the negative connotations of the word. But to imply a correlation between being desensitized to the word and being desensitized to the thought/act of rape is probably of the the most stupid things I've ever heard.
I'm guessing you bear witness to things that are 'probably one of the most stupid things you've ever heard' on a quite regular basis.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It's an hyperbole, but I think DouLou is bang on. Why would that ever be the case?

DOTA

What I worry about is that using the word in this sense can give the impression of not taking rape very seriously, even from those that do. It's important that it's screamingly obvious that rape is taken very seriously, so that victims of it are in no doubt that the severity of what they've been through is understood. So that they'll feel comfortable seeking support and feel confident that they will be taken seriously, if they feel able to make it a police matter.

I'm sure pretty much everyone agrees that it must be taken very seriously and that it's important to make it clear that it is. Not using the word as a metaphor for one party showing dominance over another seems an incredibly simple thing to do, that could achieve a small amount in maintaining clarity in how seriously it's taken.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm picking up vibes that you don't like using that term. Good for you, don't use it then.
Not at all.

Infact please enlighten us about the other situations definitely warrants the term raped.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Not at all.

Infact please enlighten us about the other situations definitely warrants the term raped.
Nothing to enlighten. If you don't like the term, don't use it. If you do, use it when you want.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's an hyperbole, but I think DouLou is bang on. Why would that ever be the case?
It probably wouldn't ever be the case with people (kids) who have been properly raised and educated. Not everyone is properly raised and educated, though. And there's a side to this which is usually downplayed in these debates. It's a fact (a perfectly objective fact) that many rape victims still - in this day and age, even in so-called progressive socities - hesitate to report what has happened to them because they're worried about not being taken seriously. And the number of cases which are never properly investigated seem to justify their worries.

Using the rape metaphor senselessly in all sorts of contexts where it isn't even remotely apt doesn't help. There may not be be any direct correlation between the (ab)use of the word and criminal stats (I'm sure it isn't) - but the widespread and thoughtless use of the analogy may directly contribute to worsening the plight of the victims. And that's more than enough reason to stop using it, surely.

Eon90

I think people have wasted their time writing posts longer than the m6! I think it's harmless using the word around a few friends it's not like anyone is shouting it directly in the face of rape victims, and suggesting that there's a link between the casual use of the word and the act is ridiculous! Normal, good people know that rape is a horrible thing to do regardless of wether they're educated or not

DOTA

Do you not think men have rights?
Have you ever looked in to the MRA movement? It's ridiculous.

I'm someone who regularly moans at fellow feminists, who fail to remember that men are a crucial part of the goal, but MRA is a joke.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I'm someone who regularly moans at fellow feminists, who fail to remember that men are a crucial part of the goal, but MRA is a joke.
It's the loons on both sides who dominate debate on the interwebs, and the rational moderate majority are relegated to the sidelines. There is an awesome cartoon floating out there that illustrates the point, but I can't find it. The vast majority of feminists are cool.

MRA bashing gets old, honestly. There are issues some men uniquely face in today's society. No one wants to be disadvantaged, that's all. Same thing with "positive discrimination", you don't expect groups who are disadvantaged by it to just lie down and take it, do you?

Momochiru

I'm not familiar with the MRA movement, but it seems reasonable that if there is a movement for the rights of women, there should be a similar movement for the rights of men - opposition is the basis of democracy. However I think that at this day and age both feminism and MRA are outdated - there should be only one movement for equality, which doesn't distinguish between genders.

DOTA

I'm not familiar with the MRA movement, but it seems reasonable that if there is a movement for the rights of women, there should be a similar movement for the rights of men - opposition is the basis of democracy. However I think that at this day and age both feminism and MRA are outdated - there should be only one movement for equality, which doesn't distinguish between genders.
There is. It's just misleadingly titled feminism because it started in the days that the main issue at hand was establishing that women were people. Any decent feminist will fight fervently for men's rights, when such is called for. Paternity leave is a good example where progress has been made, of late.

Momochiru

There is. It's just misleadingly titled feminism because it started in the days that the main issue at hand was establishing that women were people. Any decent feminist will fight fervently for men's rights, when such is called for. Paternity leave is a good example where progress has been made, of late.
If that is the case, than maybe feminism should be rebranded in order to disassociate itself from the minority of crazy "feminists". I've read some pretty appalling stuff written by those so called feminists, for example calling for mandatory castration of males and other stupid stuff like that...

DOTA

If that is the case, than maybe feminism should be rebranded in order to disassociate itself from the minority of crazy "feminists". I've read some pretty appalling stuff written by those so called feminists, for example calling for mandatory castration of males and other stupid stuff like that...
The only people who seriously think feminism is anti-male are either misogynists or a bit dim. Thinking feminism is about people who want to castrate males is like thinking Islam is about people wanting to fly planes in to buildings. In either case, they aren't going to be turned in to useful promoters of gender equality by a new term for it.