2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
-------------De Gea-------------
Coleman-Godin--Rojo----Shaw
-------------Carrick------------
------Herrera----Di Maria-----
-Depay-------------------Bale-
-------------Rooney------------

I for one welcome our new Welsh overlord.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
That will not happen anyway. They would probably want De Gea then too and I don't want to see that happen. Also they rarely sell their superstars. They often sell great players, but most of them were great players without that big superstar image like Makelele or Di Maria. Modric could be another example or Isco. But Ronaldo, Bale?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
WTF? How many Real Madrid fans have you talked to about this? None that I know are going to start smashing windows if they sell Bale for what they paid for him. He's done pretty well, but he's not been the new Ronaldo, which is what he would need to be for that kind of money.
I heard that a poll was conducted with Madrid fans where over 50% said they wouldn't care if the club sold him. I'd imagine that Bale doesn't sell no-where near as many shirts as Ronaldo,Benzema,James etc. Awesome player but just not as marketable. I'm starting to believe that Madrid will sell him and this transfer could happen.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If we sell Mata for north of £20m and opt not to spend £40m on Falcao it will free up £60m of our funds. I imagine we could spend £100m net again next Summer easily too so we could probably go for 2 defenders, Strootman and still have the money to buy Bale.

I would rather we tried to buy Reus first though. He is not much worse than Bale and might be exactly what we need at a lower price. Then again I imagine he will prefer to go to Bayern or Real Madrid which makes it tough.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Just for the record, what we could alternatively get for Bale's quoted price of £90-100 million :

Koke Resureccion - £48 million release clause. One of the top 3 young midfielders in football. Could easily play for the club for another 10 years.
Diego Godin - £28 million release clause. One of the top 3 defenders in football. Hugely experienced and would provide some leadership and stability.
Marco Reus - £20 million release clause. Every bit as good of a wide attacker as Bale. Would link up brilliantly with Rooney, Di Maria and co.

Net transfer fee outlay - £96 million. 3 key iffy positions solved with world class additions.

MDFC Manager

Buying Reus at the quarter of the price of Bale sounds good in theory. Except we'd be competing with half a dozen clubs for his signature.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We could easily get at least £25-30m for Mata. If we wanted to sell him there will be a lot of interest from Spain.
Yes but mainly from clubs that cannot go above €25m. Real Madrid and Barcelona are the only two teams who can pay more.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
That will not happen anyway. They would probably want De Gea then too and I don't want to see that happen. Also they rarely sell their superstars. They often sell great players, but most of them were great players without that big superstar image like Makelele or Di Maria. Modric could be another example or Isco. But Ronaldo, Bale?
I don't want to see De Gea go either, but fecking hell, getting Bale, you'd do it.

People talk about De Gea and Madrid though, would he go there being a former Atletico player? I believe he grew up being a supporter of Atletico too.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Buying Reus at the quarter of the price of Bale sounds good in theory. Except we'd be competing with half a dozen clubs for his signature.
Only 3-4 clubs can afford his salary given the reduced fee.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The only thing anyone seems to say is 'because it's Madrid'. By that rationale their whole team is available and could be linked to us. Madrid won't let Bale go yet.
They are, more or less. Only a handful of them are considered indispensable.

Why Bale?

He's expensive - he's the second highest paid in the squad, a salary justified by Perez because he's "a future Ballon D'Or" which barring an amazing turnround he isn't.

Madrid determine transfer fees in two parts: the player + the marketing. In Bale's case the expected marketing advantage didn't work out. He was supposed to replace Beckham in the English speaking world, his photo on the billboards for the PL seemed to say he'd made it, they liked the heart thing and the Adidas sponsorship. But he just isn't that sort of PR hit. They overpaid by their criteria, if they can turn in a profit they'll be tempted.

They are looking at Reus at €25m. But they are also looking at Jese who's from their own academy (they are desperate for one of their own to make it) and Isco, who might give them as much in front of goal, but potentially given them more in patient build-up and in possession play. If Bale is not impossible to sell then it could be a matter of cash.

The real question of course is what does Bale think about it. He's got a contract that runs until 2019, a big salary, a role in what looks like it's going to be a very successful team. What's in it for him? I've not heard many rumours about homesickness or about him feeling marginalised. I don't know why we would think that he would want to come, but I can see why we might believe he's available.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The only good thing that could come out of us losing De Gea is getting Bale in return. I wouldn't be happy about it but it'd definitely soften the blow. Di María, Herrera, Blind and Shaw all fit into a counter-attacking side perfectly, but we're lacking that direct threat and cutting edge in attack - Bale would absolutely give us that. Paying a world record fee for him though...I'm not so sure about that.

RedSRM

Firstly, surely this is all just media bullshit.
Secondly, if it was going ahead but they wanted De Gea then they can feck off. Great keepers are hard to come by.
Lastly, I think we would be crazy to be offering the same or more than Madrid payed for him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm a muppet and i'm an absolute fan of Bale, but i'm telling you guys, even if we pay +90m£ we won't regret it, he is that good.

Obviously if we had the opportunity to sign Reus for less money, that would be a better idea.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They are, more or less. Only a handful of them are considered indispensable.

Why Bale?

He's expensive - he's the second highest paid in the squad, a salary justified by Perez because he's "a future Ballon D'Or" which barring an amazing turnround he isn't.

Madrid determine transfer fees in two parts: the player + the marketing. In Bale's case the expected marketing advantage didn't work out. He was supposed to replace Beckham in the English speaking world, his photo on the billboards for the PL seemed to say he'd made it, they liked the heart thing and the Adidas sponsorship. But he just isn't that sort of PR hit. They overpaid by their criteria, if they can turn in a profit they'll be tempted.

They are looking at Reus at €25m. But they are also looking at Jese who's from their own academy (they are desperate for one of their own to make it) and Isco, who might give them as much in front of goal, but potentially given them more in patient build-up and in possession play. If Bale is not impossible to sell then it could be a matter of cash.

The real question of course is what does Bale think about it. He's got a contract that runs until 2019, a big salary, a role in what looks like it's going to be a very successful team. What's in it for him? I've not heard many rumours about homesickness or about him feeling marginalised. I don't know why we would think that he would want to come, but I can see why we might believe he's available.
The "rumours" are that Bale wants to send his child to school in England. She is young enough at present to not worry about it, but soon she will start learning properly. They also say he doesn't feel like he fits into the spanish culture, but I find that hard to believe.

All of it seems quite far fetched to be honest but you never know.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Just for the record, what we could alternatively get for Bale's quoted price of £90-100 million :

Koke Resureccion - £48 million release clause. One of the top 3 young midfielders in football. Could easily play for the club for another 10 years.
Diego Godin - £28 million release clause. One of the top 3 defenders in football. Hugely experienced and would provide some leadership and stability.
Marco Reus - £20 million release clause. Every bit as good of a wide attacker as Bale. Would link up brilliantly with Rooney, Di Maria and co.

Net transfer fee outlay - £96 million. 3 key iffy positions solved with world class additions.
I echo this sentiment, so much money would go down the drain with which we could easily fix our problems in depth and quality.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I'm a muppet and i'm an absolute fan of Bale, but i'm telling you guys, even if we pay +90m£ we won't regret it, he is that good.

Obviously if we had the opportunity to sign Reus for less money, that would be a better idea.
He's not that good.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Yes but those 3 - 4 clubs are Real, Bayern, Chelsea and us. Problem is, they're all better than us and therefore more appealing to most players.
Nah, Reus will either go to Real or Bayern (or even stay at Dortmund). He is not the cosmopolitan type of player (at least as I see him), so he will not go to England. Dortmund would be a Gerrard-esque choice, Bayern, a club which will guarantee him at least 5 Bundesliga titles (which for a german player are probably more worth than 5 la liga or PL titles), and Real are the most glamorous club. So it's trophies (Bayern), gloria (Real) or mommy (Dortmund) for Reus. Can't see Manchester or London as a possible destination.

But I guess that Pep will not be to keen on Reus, so there is decent chance of him joining Real, which would make a Bale-move to United possible.

saivet

Surely we could play hardball with them. I genuinely don't think any other side in the world would pay over £60m for him. Keeping him could be problematic for them if they sign Reus. He'd be great but we have other priorities anyway.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Locking this for a while to let the transfer talk carry on in the right thread in the right forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.