Ballon d’Or 2017 | Ronaldo wins

Mcking

I will make sure to live long and tell my great grandchildren the tale of Coutinho and Mane, after finishing 4th with their team and not doing anything of note, being nominated for the FIFA ballon d'or, without even playing in UCL.

Brightonian

Coutinho ffs. Apparently the Madrid-Barca bias is now so heavy that they only even have to pursue you to get your name on the list.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You might want to take a look at one Muller, Gerd. Or Pelé. Or Eusebio

Fun fact: Gerd Muller was never, at any point in his career, considered the best player in the world. Neither was Eusebio. Pelé is one of the reasons for that. Cruyff is the other
Muller scored 40+ 6 times out of 12/13 seasons for Bayern (50+ 2 times)
Eusebio scored 40+ 5 times out of 14 full seasons for Benfica (50+ once)
Pele scored 40+ 8 times out of 18 full years for Santos (50+ 5 times)

Cristiano scored 40+ in the last 7 seasons (50+ in 6 of those)
Messi scored 40+ in the last 8 seasons (50+ in 5 of those)

I have looked at those players you named, and they don't nearly compare to the current greats, Pele comes close...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Muller scored 40+ 6 times out of 12/13 seasons for Bayern (50+ 2 times)
Eusebio scored 40+ 5 times out of 14 full seasons for Benfica (50+ once)
Pele scored 40+ 8 times out of 18 full years for Santos (50+ 5 times)

Cristiano scored 40+ in the last 7 seasons (50+ in 6 of those)
Messi scored 40+ in the last 8 seasons (50+ in 5 of those)

I have looked at those players you named, and they don't nearly compare to the current greats, Pele comes close...
Take a look at the number of games played too, not just goals scored

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Buffon, Oblak & De Gea?
No Neuer?!
Wasn't Neuer supposed to be their golden boy? or was that fifa? ;)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Pretty much. Dzeko is the only curveball on there.
Top scorer in both Serie A and Europa League is the only curveball, but the likes of Hummels, Coutinho, Mbappe, Auba, Kante or even De Gea(who is great but really didn't do nor could do much last season) aren't?

39 goals for a shit team like Roma is seriously impressive. And he is great this year too, his form is amazing since start of the season.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So Eusebio play much fewer games of the rest.
It's not just Eusebio. Cristiano's best was 61 in 54. Eusebio, 50 in 35. Muller had 67 in 49! Messi is 73 in 60(which, ok. :lol:)

Those guys were very much comparable in terms of goalscoring stats. Which is why the reason people rate Messi and Cristiano so much goes beyond just the number of goals. But no, they aren't unique, they aren't the first of their kind

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He played for more international teams than pele maradonna and Messi put together...

Can't be many who managed that... bican? And probably a few of the ex Soviet union team
Bican, Kubala, 4 guys from the Soviet Union and someone named Karel Burkert. That's the whole list - at least those recognised by FIFA (Di Stefano isn't btw, they don't count Colombian caps for some reason)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Think the problem is he's been out most of the year with injury.
Ah yes, the calender year thing again. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that's probably the reason.

Canagel

Pogba should be there. He was integral in our EL win last year and if the likes of Coutinho are getting nominated then so should he.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pele pretty much dominates it since 1958 to 1964 (apart from 1962 - the winner is, obviously, Garrincha) + 1970. I'm on the phone now, but I think even on Ballon d'Or's wiki page there is a section dedicated to it.
Thanks

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
It's not just Eusebio. Cristiano's best was 61 in 54. Eusebio, 50 in 35. Muller had 67 in 49! Messi is 73 in 60(which, ok. :lol:)

Those guys were very much comparable in terms of goalscoring stats. Which is why the reason people rate Messi and Cristiano so much goes beyond just the number of goals. But no, they aren't unique, they aren't the first of their kind
That's incredible! Makes the Messi/Ronaldo somewhat mediocre for once!

Fenomeno9

Always felt these individual awards should be broken down into separate categories (for example, FIFA midfielder or GK of the year) to give some love to other position instead of favoring attackers majority of the time for the best player in the world.

Nogbadthebad

Jimmy Greaves.

in the 60-61 season he scored 43 goals in 43 appearances for chelsea. I've never seen a stat like it since for an English club, Ronaldo got close with 42 in 49.

He got 44 goals in just 57 appearances in total for England

From the start of the 1958 season for chelsea, to the end of the 1965 season for tottenham, even including 6 months at AC Milan, he scored more than 30 goals in the first division every season for 8 years.

Nedved

Dani Alves or Casemiro, essential in the CL finalists most important games, should be there for Coutinho.

No Higuain while Aubameyang is there is also harsh.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jimmy Greaves.

in the 60-61 season he scored 43 goals in 43 appearances for chelsea. I've never seen a stat like it since for an English club, Ronaldo got close with 42 in 49.

He got 44 goals in just 57 appearances in total for England

From the start of the 1958 season for chelsea, to the end of the 1965 season for tottenham, even including 6 months at AC Milan, he scored more than 30 goals in the first division every season for 8 years.
Denis Law, 46 goals in 42 games in 63-64 season.

PieCrust

Pogba not being in either is a bit harsh imo.
Do you really think so? I mean Pogba has all the ability and still potential in the world, but I don't think he's realized it yet at United, just shown flashes.

For me, Pogba isn't in the discussion of the best players in the world yet.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Ronaldo won this on the back of getting a hattrick or 4 to lead his team to the World Cup. Will Messi be as fortunate ?

Cypriot

They should divide this into 4 categories: Best Attacker, Best Defender, Best Midfielder and Best Goalkeeper in the world. It's such a shame that the defenders and goalkeepers don't get the recognition that they deserve. I wonder how soul destroying it is to have to keep attending this event for someone like Manuel Neuer or Sergio Ramos - knowing that you've not got a chance in hell at winning the thing. I mean sure, it's an honour to be nominated I guess but it'd be nice to be recognised as the best in the world in YOUR area of the pitch.

Yeah I know there's a world XI, but that's usually questionable as well.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They should divide this into 4 categories: Best Attacker, Best Defender, Best Midfielder and Best Goalkeeper in the world. It's such a shame that the defenders and goalkeepers don't get the recognition that they deserve. I wonder how soul destroying it is to have to keep attending this event for someone like Manuel Neuer or Sergio Ramos - knowing that you've not got a chance in hell at winning the thing. I mean sure, it's an honour to be nominated I guess but it'd be nice to be recognised as the best in the world in YOUR area of the pitch.

Neuer was pretty close to finishing above Messi in 2014. Messi got 15.76% of the votes and Neuer got 15.72%. The problem hasn't been defenders and goalkeepers not being recognised, the problem is Messi and Cristiano exist. It's not just been defenders and keepers that haven't had a chance of winning, it's been everyone else.

Ronaldo won this on the back of getting a hattrick or 4 to lead his team to the World Cup. Will Messi be as fortunate ?
Ronaldo would have won it anyway in 2013, it was his best calendar year ever. 69 goals and 17 assists in 59 games.

He'll rightly win it this year but it will be his last one.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Any love for my boy Just Fontaine?! :lol:

The amazing thing about the stats of players like Muller, Eusebio, Pele, etc is that the game back then wasn't as tailored for attacking players as much as it is now. Of course the physicality and athleticism was different as well. It's a shame we'll never get to see all of what those players were capable of but at least the future generations will be able to look back on Messi/CR7 which marked the last decade of football with clear HD video and plenty of material from the start to the end of their careers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Probably not, as situation back then was quite different - indivially Ronaldo was far superior than anyone else, but he didn't win any major trophy with his club which was the only downside. His main competitors were Ribery (who has been most successful winning the treble, but individually was far behind), and Messi (slightly more successful, individually has performed better than Ribery but couldn't quite match with Ronaldo), all 3 of them have more or less equal chances and the race was pretty even.
His brilliant performance against Sweden pretty much seals it.

This time though Ronaldo has been far superior than anyone else in CL, and great for his country too (scored a lot of important goals in WC qualifiers), also has been most successful throughout the year. Messi performs better in the league, more consistent throughout the year, score more goals, and has 1 brilliant performance in WC qualifiers. That's about it.

Individual (CL) - Ronaldo
Individual (league) - Messi
Individual (WC qualifiers) - Ronaldo is better overall, but Messi is brilliant in most crucial match
Trophy Success - Ronaldo

Last edited:

Oooh_aaah_cantona

This is for the prize of being the best footballer. It shouldn't be categorized and thus diluted. Sure, defending and goalkeeping is an art too, but football's best always been focused on attacking. People watch football for that.

I really think there's no chance in hell, Neur would ever think, "I am the best footballer in the world".

Jaybomb

How has Ibra and Pogba not been nominated? If Coutinho and Mane are on the list....

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Neuer was pretty close to finishing above Messi in 2014. Messi got 15.76% of the votes and Neuer got 15.72%. The problem hasn't been defenders and goalkeepers not being recognised, the problem is Messi and Cristiano exist. It's not just been defenders and keepers that haven't had a chance of winning, it's been everyone else.

Ronaldo would have won it anyway in 2013, it was his best calendar year ever. 69 goals and 17 assists in 59 games.

He'll rightly win it this year but it will be his last one.
Many ifs involved, but I think he has a chance in 2018 despite it being a WC year. His current role in both teams fits him like a glove, and I don't think last season's run-in and the EUROs have necessarily been the end of his capabilities on that level. Messi's on a mission though, so it's gonna be fun.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Many ifs involved, but I think he has a chance in 2018 despite it being a WC year. His current role in both teams fits him like a glove, and I don't think last season's run-in and the EUROs have necessarily been the end of his capabilities on that level. Messi's on a mission though, so it's gonna be fun.
When it's been the journalists' vote the Ballon D'Or has always gone to a World Cup winner and Portugal aren't going to win the World Cup or get to the final. On top of that, Madrid are already in a bad position in the league so it's less likely he'll have the trophies to back it up. Then he'll be 34 for 2019 so I'm pretty sure this will be his last one although I expect him to have a great end to the season once again.