Ballon d'Or 2021 | Lewandowski robbed again

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sincere question, no tongue in cheek to the people thinking Lewandowski was robbed:

Do you guys think he is a better player than Messi or that he "deserved the prize more"?
Yes

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Can anyone explain how Benzema's season is rated higher than Haaland's season despite worse stats + 0 trophies?

It's crazy seeing Haaland at 11th place in Ballon d'Or voting while Benzema was at 4th place

Stats from club competitions + internationals during calender year 2021 (from Transfermarkt)

Erling Haaland: 44 goals + 15 assists in 3920 minutes = 1.35 goal/assist per 90

Karim Benzema: 41 goals + 13 assists in 4791 minutes = 1.02 goal/assist per 90

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It's a popularity contest that's heavily favored towards Real Madrid and Barcelona. It's the football Oscars and should be treated like the meaningless industry circlejerk it is.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Why was it cancelled last year, the votes would be done online. They could still have done it. They could have presented last years winner with their trophy last night.
Aye, fairly obvious solution. For France Football it would have:
  • Allowed them to reverse the decision to cancel the awards last year, which they no doubt immediately regretted given the vocal backlash
  • Overcomed the sense of injustice that last year's top performer didn't get what they deserved, and was unfortunate again this year round

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They have no credibility. He did not have a good year. He is struggling.

The level at the Copa was shocking. He completely bottled the final as well.
moronic take, he had the best Copa in its history. Lewa bottled the group stage in a poor group at the euros.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
  • Allowed them to reverse the decision to cancel the awards last year, which they no doubt immediately regretted given the vocal backlash
  • Overcomed the sense of injustice that last year's top performer didn't get what they deserved, and was unfortunate again this year round
So they gave him an atrocious trophy as a goalscorer instead. I would be putting that well out of sight.

Alain-

The Golden Ball has nothing to do with statistics
It's when football turns into art in the feet of some players
Can you compare Rubens De Vinci or Picasso with stats ?

gorky_utd

Messi has consistently won annual UCL humiliation trophy in recent times. A young messi was a nemesis, simply too good for rest of the teams. But this old, lazy version of messi is not.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Cancelled the award in 2020 was idiotic decisions by France Football,I would agree with your idea.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why was it cancelled last year, the votes would be done online. They could still have done it. They could have presented last years winner with their trophy last night.
It was too hard to justify giving it to Messi/Ronaldo/Mbappe last year, so they had to posptone it.

MrEleson

If Messi had the year Ronaldo did in 2018, they would’ve created a “midfielder of the year award” for Modric and given Messi the Ballon D’or.

I’m surprised Lewandowski even attended the ceremony with the trash heap of a trophy they gave him that looked like it was cut from their disposal bin that night.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If Messi had the year Ronaldo did in 2018, they would’ve created a “midfielder of the year award” for Modric and given Messi the Ballon D’or.

I’m surprised Lewandowski even attended the ceremony with the trash heap of a trophy they gave him that looked like it was cut from their disposal bin that night.
absolute bs, Messi tied an all time assist record and came in fifth that year for voting in 2018.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi has consistently won annual UCL humiliation trophy in recent times. A young messi was a nemesis, simply too good for rest of the teams. But this old, lazy version of messi is not.
And will Ronaldo get epl humiliation awards with United having some of their worst losses in history to their rivals since Ronaldo joined?

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Ridiculous and bias comment
I would say outside of UCL,Messi had performed better than Ronaldo in that year,Ronaldo in 2017-2018 was very incosinstency in La Liga especially in the early of season.I would say even 2018 Suarez had performed better than CR7 in the league all the year.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Messi won this year.
Jorghino (!) came 3rd?

Seems a bit bizarre to me.

Eplel

The reason for that was that Xavi and Iniesta were arguably the best players at the World Cup and World Cup > Champions League. As for Messi, he had a Messi type season, but he was so early in his career that it seemed incredible, nobody knew that he’d keep having the same season for 10 years then.
The world cup is 8 games. And doing the treble in a top five league is arguably a harder achievement than World Cup.

Eplel

Btw, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if I was one, I'd believe that PSG bought this award for Messi as part of the deal to get him to sign for them.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Btw, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but if I was one, I'd believe that PSG bought this award for Messi as part of the deal to get him to sign for them.
Then why not buy one for mbappe in 2018?

gorky_utd

And will Ronaldo get epl humiliation awards with United having some of their worst losses in history to their rivals since Ronaldo joined?
Those rivals are actually pretty good in Europe too. I would love to see how barca plays next week if bayern and lewa decided to go full throttle.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Those rivals are actually pretty good in Europe too. I would love to see how barca plays next week if bayern and lewa decided to go full throttle.
ah, so when the rivals are good in Europe it’s okay but when they beat Messi then it’s humiliation for Messi.

how good was watford again? They’re awesome in Europe aren’t they?

gorky_utd

Like Ajax, Porto and Lyon while Cristiano was at Juventus?
Where did I state that ballon d'or should have been given to Cristiano?
ah, so when the rivals are good in Europe it’s okay but when they beat Messi then it’s humiliation for Messi.

how good was watford again? They’re awesome in Europe aren’t they?
You really love the way barca has played in UCL in recent year?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's crazy how a player's level of football can go from winning the Balon d'or to being the worst version of him many have seen all within the same year.

Apparently he has aged. Sounds like a teeny weeny excuse. Just couple months ago people were bigging up his Copa America win. Literally just a couple of months ago.

Anyway Well done Messi for winning the Balon'dor with Barcelona again! Let's see if he will be viewed that highly after his first year at PSG - Literally just months after his Balon D'or performances for Barcelona and Argentina.

Feel like he probably will to be honest.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Where did I state that ballon d'or should have been given to Cristiano?

You really love the way barca has played in UCL in recent year?
Oh sorry, was under impression you were talking how Messi used to get humiliated in Europe, so wanted to point out how Cristiano got as well, by some really small teams.

And we agree that he doesn't deserve Ballon d'Or, it's award for the best in football, something he hasn't been for a long time.

Ladron de redcafe

Individual players don't get "humiliated" in defeats. Teams lose. Cristiano didn't get humiliated, and Messi obviously didn't.

Ladron de redcafe

He was much better than Ronaldo in 2018 and should have ended ahead of him. Instead he ended up 5th despite being the best player on the planet with the best statistics, because he lacked 'the biggest trophies'.

Here we are in 2021 and the same people want the criteria flipped. It's enjoyable watching the bitterness:D