Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Lewandowski
Messi
Mbappe
Dias
Haaland
Gündogan
Ronaldo
Fernades
De Bruyne
Neuer

If it weren't for his one mistake against PSG in game 1 I would have Neuer in top 3 since it had such an impact.

But other than that he actually had an insane season. Carried Bayern with Lewandowski all season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I know what the award is supposed to be about.
The best player in the world 2021: Messi
The best season any player has had until now: Lewandowski

Who do you crown? Best player or best season?
Depends. Is there are noticeable gap between best player and 2nd best? And is there any significant difference in terms of their achievements? Which one has better narrative to win it this year?

One example is, back in 2013 even though Ribery was the most successful player that year (best player in his team winning treble) , the gap is actually quite huge between Ronaldo (55 goals 11 assist) vs Ribery (11 goals, 15 assist) in terms of individual stats, so ridicolously huge that its really hard to give it to Ribery even though he is having most successful year while also performing very well.

However, some might argue the gap between Messi and Lewandowski this year isn't really that noticeable, Messi being naturally the better performer of course, but Lewandowski is clearly more deadly in front of goals (41 goals in 29 games in BL) and has better narrative of winning it this year (break Muller's record).

Anyway, below is how I would use to compare contenders for Ballon D'or, in terms of stats, performance, success and narrative. Past winner of Ballon D'or usually either scores more points than his rivals, or being so far better than his rivals in 1 or 2 specific area.

Argument for Messi:
Stats: 38 goals 11 assist in 47 games
Performance: avg rating 8.52, 24 motm (Messi wins)
Success: winning domestic cup
Narrative: carry his team to 3rd place finish in league

Argument against:
Failed to lead his team to progress further in CL, failed to win a major trophy

Argument for Lewandowski:
Stats: 46 goals 7 assist in 35 games (Lewandowski wins)
Performance: avg rating 80.7, 13 motm
Success: winning league title (Lewandowski wins)
Narrative: break Muller's record (Lewandowski wins)

Argument against:

hard to find one, maybe injuries prevent him to help his team progress further in CL

I'd say Lewandowski is currently leading it. But lets say if Messi lead Argentina to win Copa, Messi would surely have bigger chance of winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theonas

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
More like not interesting as usual because none of our players get involved.

thepolice123

I know what the award is supposed to be about.
The best player in the world 2021: Messi
The best season any player has had until now: Lewandowski

Who do you crown? Best player or best season?
How can you be the best player if you didn't have the best season? :confused:

If you are asked to explain why Messi is the best player in 2021, naturally your next step would be to talk about what he has done in that season. You cannot view them separately like that, its impossible.

Jev

Phil Foden a possible contender if England win the Euros with him in the team?

TheLiverBird

With the Euros still to go

There a good few names in the pot for sure as genuine potentials

But Lewandowski is my current favourite

48 goals this season in all comps, won the Bundesliga, UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup

Last edited:

Jev

48 goals this season in all comps, won the Bundesliga, UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup

If German wins the Euros or even if the get to Semi’s or runners up and he plays a big part, it’s for me a no brainer
He's not German, though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The Ballon d'Or is basically a souped up, seasonal version of a MotM award. Individual and highly subjective.
That's just your own interpretation, which over-simplifies and deviates from the reality of the award.
First of all, man of the match, is only eligible among the 22+ players on the pitch in one specific match each time. Whereas Ballon D'or involves every footballer in every competition out there throughout the whole year. Performing in bigger competition, winning major trophies and having more impressive stats over the year also counts too. Its actually lot more complicate than what you thought. Maybe player of the month of a particular league would be a better comparison, but its still very far off from having a reasonable comparison.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

If German wins the Euros or even if the get to Semi’s or runners up and he plays a big part, it’s for me a no brainer
If he plays a big part in Germany winning the Euros, something very strange is going on.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How can you be the best player if you didn't have the best season? :confused:

If you are asked to explain why Messi is the best player in 2021, naturally your next step would be to talk about what he has done in that season. You cannot view them separately like that, its impossible.
because 2021 is looking at January - Present and season is looking August - Present?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Phil Foden a possible contender if England win the Euros with him in the team?
If England won Euro, Kane would be the main contender, unless Foden is doing a "Maradona" in Euro.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Genuine question: what makes it substantially different to you?
Quite alot.

In reality, "performance over the year" is only one aspect of these awards. There are many other aspect to consider

Just give you one example, back in 2007 Ronaldo was by far the best player in the world in terms of his "performance over the year". But Kaka was better peformer in the biggest competition/stage that year, and won the CL as best player too. Hence, Kaka won it. And that applies to many other Ballon D'or winners in the past too. Too many to name them all.

In short, apart from performance, there is also consideration on success, biggest stage performance, stats and narrative in these kinds of awards.

You may or may not agree with it, but thats the way it is since many decades ago. Football is a competitive sports afterall, its not just a performance sport. People celebrate with either the biggest winner of the year, or the most extraordinary performer on the biggest stage over the year, or someone with the biggest narrative to win it. Thats the reality of these awards.

Jev

If England won Euro, Kane would be the main contender, unless Foden is doing a "Maradona" in Euro.
If Foden arrived with a League Cup title, a Premier League title and a Champions League title, I'm not sure it's that clear, especially if he stars tonight. His challenge will be getting into England's first 11 early in the tournament. He should be a shoe-in but I don't think Southgate would start him if there was a game tomorrow.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Lewandowski will win it.

Messi who would usually be in with a shout had a really poor start

KeanoMagicHat

None of those City lads are winning it now. Kante has a chance if France win the Euros, but still doubt if his kind of player can garner up enough votes to beat a Messi or Lewandowski. Would be more likely a top 3 finish - like Van Dijk, Neuer and others.

Luke1995

I think Neymar could win it if he takes Brazil to the Copa America title. Or Messi if he does the same with Argentina.

FatTails

I can’t believe Phil Foden is being mentioned seriously. People seem to have been influenced by Martin Tyler endlessly fantasizing about the young lad, live, on air, with the whole world tuned in.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
After Chelsea win in the champions league, we do not have any favorite for the ballon d'or at this time of the year which is rather unusual. The way i see it, there are 4 players who have a shot at it.

3 players share the spot of top goal scorers in 2021 with 28 goals :

- Messi
-Lewandowski
- Mbappe

If the ballon d'or was going to the best player, then there is no contest here as Messi wins hands down, being able to score as much as Lewy while being the best creator in the game. However the ballon d'or isn't a trophy who rewards the actual best player in the game, but is rather a combination of team and individual success (which is by the way a big issue that i have with this trophy since the criterias seem to change from a year to another. One year team success seem to have been the main factor into deciding the winner and others it feels like individual performance was the tie-breaker).
And as far as team success goes, this year has been poor for Leo, which is not necessarily his fault but is going to cripple his chance of winning the award.
Well being Messi, he is in the conversation for sure, but if he wants any shot at winning it he has to lift the Copa America with Argentina which is in itself an uncertainty. If he manage to do so and start the new season as he finished this one he might be a serious contender.

Talking of contenders, the favorite for now seems to be Lewandowski. He was robbed from winning it last year and the voters might have this element in mind when they will want to proceed to their choice. But even if only 2021 was to be taken into account, he'd still be the front runner. The narrative is with him as he just broke a 40 year old record and has been undoubtedly the best striker in the world. If the votes were to be taken today i believe that he would be the one to come out on top. To keep his status of favorite, he should hope that other contender for the awards don't have dominant tournaments as Messi and Mbappe are much more marketable players and can create very solid narratives. He also needs to continue playing on the same level for the first part of next season.

Now as for Mbappe, he might not be a serious contender for now but he has been brillant with his club and most importantly, he is the likeliest to shine during the Euros as France is a great team and they will most likely dominate the tournament, so Mbappe will get a lot of chances to convert. If he wins or has a great tournament i can see him in turn turning into a serious contender and challenge Lewy's favorite status, unless...

...unless he gets outshined by his teammate N'golo Kanté, personally i don't think that he played on ballon d'or level this season, he had great games against Madrid and Chelsea in the UCL, but he didnt consistently play at that level in the Prem so i don't think he should win it, but you never know. The Ballon d'or is very narrative driven and for now he has the narrative on his side, if he manages to brillantly play at the Euros then i could see him as a potential winner of the trophy.

Eitherway, i think we will be fixed after the international competitions, players who are considered outsiders now could very well emerge as solid favorites.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Based on ability: Messi
Based on until now: Lewandowski
Based on if France win the Euros: Kante

Jorsett

Supports
Bayern Munich
Football Twitter is crazy. Seeing people genuinely asking for Kante to win the Ballon d'Or after a few great games in the UCL, regardless of a France win at the Euros. Bizarre times. Didn't Chelsea-fans want Rice to replace him literally 3 months ago?

OleBoiii

Football Twitter is crazy. Seeing people genuinely asking for Kante to win the Ballon d'Or after a few great games in the UCL, regardless of a France win at the Euros. Bizarre times. Didn't Chelsea-fans want Rice to replace him literally 3 months ago?
If France win the Euros and Kante is their most important player then I think he has a good shout. Right now he's the best player of a team that won the CL, which naturally will put his name up there. But he's obviously not above Lewandowski.

If I'm not mistaken Kante isn't nominated for PL POTY either, so yeah... I still like him a lot, though. He's probably my favorite non-United player these days.

Canagel

He has great PR and is a nice guy. Guy was missing for the whole season but has a great two weeks and is considered as a Ballon Dor. He did well in the semi final and final but some need to calm down with the wild takes such as Ballon Dor.

Where was the Ballon Dor talk for Casemiro? Won 3 Champions Leagues in a row and was
arguably better and more important than Kante was yet I never heard Ballon Dors then (rightly so). Doesnt take much to be considered as a Ballon Dor these days

Mshafeek

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
He has great PR and is a nice guy. Guy was missing for the whole season but has a great two weeks and is considered as a Ballon Dor. He did well in the semi final and final but some need to calm down with the wild takes such as Ballon Dor.

Where was the Ballon Dor talk for Casemiro? Won 3 Champions Leagues in a row and was
arguably better and more important than Kante was yet I never heard Ballon Dors then (rightly so). Doesnt take much to be considered as a Ballon Dor these days
Problem is Everyone Loves N'golo.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For me it’s Lewa. The Euros and Copa will have a huge bearing on it all though. Can see Mbappe winning it if he leads France to the Euro’s.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
For me it’s Lewa. The Euros and Copa will have a huge bearing on it all though. Can see Mbappe winning it if he leads France to the Euro’s.
Personally apart from Messi and Ronaldo not winning major trophies this year, the Messi and Ronaldo sweeping up Ballon D'ors has set in and they are no longer by default head and shoulders above everyone else. I think it will definitely be Lewa since he's owed from last season and had a supreme record breaking season this time around. Otherwise maybe Mpabbe year if he's a beast at the euros.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Messi deserves it. Simple as. That his team were piss poor is not on him. Award is for individual ability and effectiveness on the pitch - not solely for scoring goals or for team performance.
Lewa has more goals+assists this season in less games than Messi. No way Messi deserves it over him.

Lewandowski is having a Ronaldo-in-his-prime-esque season. Insane goalscoring but also contributing with assists as well.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Lewa has more goals+assists this season in less games than Messi. No way Messi deserves it over him.

Lewandowski is having a Ronaldo-in-his-prime-esque season. Insane goalscoring but also contributing with assists as well.
Who cares he won the bundesliga for the millionth time

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Exactly. We give it to the one who wins the big prizes
Sorry but no Chelsea player is really in the running. Each time Chelsea wins it feels like such an underwhelming victory, nothing like the times when Bayern/Barca win they always are the best team clearly, smashing most opponents on their way.

Lewa getting injured really screwed Bayern. It's just about 9 months ago that Lewandowski smashed this Chelsea team with 3 goals and 4 assists in a 7-0 victory. I have no doubt Lewandowski would have repeated such a performance had Bayern faced Chelsea in the final.