Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry but no Chelsea player is really in the running. Each time Chelsea wins it feels like such an underwhelming victory, nothing like the times when Bayern/Barca win they always are the best team clearly, smashing most opponents on their way.

Lewa getting injured really screwed Bayern. It's just about 9 months ago that Lewandowski smashed this Chelsea team with 3 goals and 4 assists in a 7-0 victory. I have no doubt Lewandowski would have repeated such a performance had Bayern faced Chelsea in the final.
Yawn. In reality he was sat at home watching.
No stopping ngolo when he wins the euros.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He has great PR and is a nice guy. Guy was missing for the whole season but has a great two weeks and is considered as a Ballon Dor. He did well in the semi final and final but some need to calm down with the wild takes such as Ballon Dor.

Where was the Ballon Dor talk for Casemiro? Won 3 Champions Leagues in a row and was
arguably better and more important than Kante was yet I never heard Ballon Dors then (rightly so). Doesnt take much to be considered as a Ballon Dor these days
I think it's been a quiet season/year. At least in my eyes. Was Casemiro a multiple MOTM winner ? Was he the difference maker ? Kante has been all of that. Just looking back at 2006 and it seems like Fabio Cannavaro won it purely on his World Cup performances. The CL is just as big of a tournament, and if Kante shines again in the Euro's. I wouldn't begrudge it.

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry but no Chelsea player is really in the running. Each time Chelsea wins it feels like such an underwhelming victory, nothing like the times when Bayern/Barca win they always are the best team clearly, smashing most opponents on their way.

Lewa getting injured really screwed Bayern. It's just about 9 months ago that Lewandowski smashed this Chelsea team with 3 goals and 4 assists in a 7-0 victory. I have no doubt Lewandowski would have repeated such a performance had Bayern faced Chelsea in the final.
Haha ok mate Chelsea's win was a fluke you seem so butthurt they must have ruined your accumulator or even worse lost a bet and had to shave your eyebrowns otherwise I cannot imagine anyone saying this was underwhelming win.

Four goals conceded all CL season long, beat the La Liga champions with ease, beat Madrid and hardly had to break any sweat to it, also beat City with ease. With a clinical centre forward Chelsea would have put the Madrid tie to bed from the first half in the first leg in Madrid and also in the Final they should have put at least three past City in the first half.

If you watch Tuchel's Chelsea in the big matches it is easy to understand why they won the CL this season, this is the best version of Chelsea since Mourinho Mk1 imho.

Bayern did it in style last season they were relentless, built like a tank, it does not mean it is the only way to do it, yes it looked damn good, but so did Chelsea this season playing a different, still attractive, style of football.

Kante has all Europe at his feet atm, all he needs it is a solid Euro tournament and the trophy and he will surely be the front runner for the Ballon d'Or.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Not quite the same, since then they have spent £200m and got a real manager.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd give it to Lewandowski. It was a crime he didn't get it last year, and then he goes and breaks the goal scoring record in Germany. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, all rather underwhelming for their standards. I love Kante, but I don't think Chelsea were anything special in the league and that win against City is not a real measure - in my view - of where they are as a club. They're good, definitely not great.

Who else?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'd give it to Lewandowski. It was a crime he didn't get it last year, and then he goes and breaks the goal scoring record in Germany. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, all rather underwhelming for their standards. I love Kante, but I don't think Chelsea were anything special in the league and that win against City is not a real measure - in my view - of where they are as a club. They're good, definitely not great.

Who else?
This is this year's not last year's balon dor. Lewa just won a league that they always win. Scoring those goals for bayern who are by far the best team where 90% of the teams are dross is not balon dor worthy

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is this year's not last year's balon dor. Lewa just won a league that they always win. Scoring those goals for bayern who are by far the best team where 90% of the teams are dross is not balon dor worthy
Who else?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Who else?
There's a euros coming up soon. Let's see what happens there. But I find it ridiculous for lewandowski to win a balon dor soley for his goals in a one team league where bayern are a million miles ahead of everyone.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
There's a euros coming up soon. Let's see what happens there. But I find it ridiculous for lewandowski to win a balon dor soley for his goals in a one team league where bayern are a million miles ahead of everyone.
It's not about just scoring a lot goals, Haaland did the same and no one is mentioning him for Balon D'or.
Lewandoski just broke Gerd Müller's record.

Kanté is a great player, best defensive midfielder in the world right now, but his season was inconsistent.
Mbappé would deserve it more than Kanté if France wins the Euro

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It's not about just scoring a lot goals, Haaland did the same and no one is mentioning him for Balon D'or.
Lewandoski just broke Gerd Müller's record.

Kanté is a great player, best defensive midfielder in the world right now, but his season was inconsistent.
Mbappé would deserve it more than Kanté if France wins the Euro
Why would he ? He didn't even win his one team league and choked against City

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Why would he ? He didn't even win his one team league and choked against City
He is top scorer in Ligue 1, others failed at PSG in order to lose the league to Lille, not him.

And Mbappé is the second top scorer in CL this season with 8 goals, only behind Haaland(with 10).
Ballon D'or is an individual award not a team award, Chelsea being better team than PSG, Barcelona,Bayern, and Juventus doesn't mean that Kanté had a better whole season than Messi,Cristiano,Lewandoski or Mbappé.

Is Kante a WC defensive midfielder? Yes, he is.

Did he have a better whole season than Messi, Mbappé or Lewandoski? No, he didn't.

It's simple.

Cloud7

There wasn't any real standout player in club football this season. With the Euros coming up I could easily see it going to the most standout player of the winning team during the tournament.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He is top scorer in Ligue 1, others failed at PSG in order to lose the league to Lille, not him.

And Mbappé is the second top scorer in CL this season with 8 goals, only behind Haaland(with 10).
Ballon D'or is an individual award not a team award, Chelsea being better team than PSG, Barcelona,Bayern, and Juventus doesn't mean that Kanté had a better whole season than Messi,Cristiano,Lewandoski or Mbappé.

Did he have a better whole season than Messi, Mbappé or Lewandoski? No, he didn't.

It's simple.
He feckin plays for psg in ligue 1 he should be top scorer they monopolise the league for a reason. The fact they didn't even win ligue 1 is an embarrassment
Yes and the individual award doesn't go to one who won nothing nor one whose only claim is goals in the bundesliga for bayern.
Kante had the most motm in the knockout round as well as having motm in both semis and the final. If he has a euros to that level it's not even debatable.

Mshafeek

Lewa has more goals+assists this season in less games than Messi. No way Messi deserves it over him.

Lewandowski is having a Ronaldo-in-his-prime-esque season. Insane goalscoring but also contributing with assists as well.
My opinion was based on the post I quoted. Overall performance is what matters, not simply goal contributions.
It was easy if the award was simply given to the one with the most direct goal contributions. Now, I wouldn't care if it was given to Lewandoski. It is no fault of his that he happened to be playing parallel to Messi and Ronaldo.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He feckin plays for psg in ligue 1 he should be top scorer they monopolise the league for a reason. The fact they didn't even win ligue 1 is an embarrassment
Yes and the individual award doesn't go to one who won nothing nor one whose only claim is goals in the bundesliga for bayern
Kante had the most motm in the knockout round as well as having motm in both semis and the final. If he has a euros to that level it's not even debatable.
It doesn't work that way, fortunately.

Playing for a big team doesn't make your individual performances less worthy than some player from a not so good team.
Otherwise all the awards won by a Cristiano and Messi are worthless because they were playing for the biggest teams on La Liga(a totally monopolized league) we should take all their awards and give them to the best players from Granada,Real Sociedad or Leganés, who are surrounded by average players which means it's harder to shine for them.

We also should stop giving World Cup Best Player to one player of the 4 semifinalists, it should be given to the best player of some trash team that didn't even pass group stage...i mean, it's harder to shine playing along dross isn't it?

Thank god, no one in FIFA or France Football follows your logic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea fans so excited at the idea of Kante winning it. There great games don't make you deserving of it chaps.

TheLord

The narrative is clearly in Kante's favour at the moment and he seems to have moved ahead of Lewandowski after the CL heroics. Also, several influential people are driving the agenda that the Ballon d'Or should be more inclusive as the historical winners have almost always been strikers/attacking midfielders - this will help Kante.

I think if France manage to win or at least reach the finals of the Euros, he could pip everyone else for the big trophy.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I would go with de Bruyne. We should not take away any credit because of a one off game like the CL final. Overall probably the best footballer at the moment and at the heart of everything City achieved.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The narrative is clearly in Kante's favour at the moment and he seems to have moved ahead of Lewandowski after the CL heroics. Also, several influential people are driving the agenda that the Ballon d'Or should be more inclusive as the historical winners have almost always been strikers/attacking midfielders - this will help Kante.

I think if France manage to win or at least reach the finals of the Euros, he could pip everyone else for the big trophy.
I agree with the thought of Kante.

I feel like he has changed some theories or Added some extra tactics of football due to the style of football he plays and that should be appreciated.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I would go with de Bruyne. We should not take away any credit because of a one off game like the CL final. Overall probably the best footballer at the moment and at the heart of everything City achieved.
No, he's definitely not done enough so far to be seriously considered in my opinion.
Euros might change that, though. But only a win and/or absolute miracle performances.

gajender

I agree with the thought of Kante.

I feel like he has changed some theories or Added some extra tactics of football due to the style of football he plays and that should be appreciated.
No issues with Kante getting it because I don't believe Ballon Ballon D'or has always been awarded to the best player in world narrative seem to play big part in when it comes to this award.

But bolded is over the top and frankly nonsense to be honest .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No issues with Kante getting it because I don't believe Ballon Ballon D'or has always been awarded to the best player in world narrative seem to play big part in when it comes to this award.

But bolded is over the top and frankly nonsense to be honest .
Really?

I feel like he has made a positional style of football his own. Ie the energetic pressing CDM/CM type player and he is the best in the world at it. More and more clubs wants this next available Kante at their clubs.

It’s like how Messi made the false 9 position his own and was the best at it during his first balon dor wins. How C Ronaldo made the inverted winger/forward position his own and was the best at it during his balondor era.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

It's simple.
In general I don’t value goal stats from Ligue 1 as high as some might. For example Kean from Everton only score 2 goals in 33 games in England a year ago, yet this season he scored 17 goals in 41 games in France for PSG.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In general I don’t value goal stats from Ligue 1 as high as some might. For example Kean from Everton only score 2 goals in 33 games in England a year ago, yet this season he scored 17 goals in 41 games in France for PSG.
Zlatan also scored 50 goals for PSG and then 28 for us in the next season. However obviously his service was better at PSG.

KeanoMagicHat

He got injured though outside of his control, in the previous round, the round of 16, he scored twice. Bayern got loads of chances against PSG and only lost on away goals. He was clearly missed and it showed his worth to that Bayern team. Kante has the CL big game performances, but he made very few Premier League teams of the season a few weeks ago. Kante's average rating in league games was only 6.86 on WhoScored (10th best Chelsea player), whereas Lewandowski's was 8.07, the second best in Europe behind Messi.

It's between those two at the moment, unless Messi stars and wins Copa America, might bring in a sentimental vote. We'll see how the Euros go. Poland have a good chance of playing 4 games I'd say (out of the group, probably lose last 16), if Lewandowski scores 3 or 4 in those games that might be enough. If he doesn't and France win the Euros with Kante starring, that should be enough for Kante.

Siezard

What if Rashford scores 10 and wins the Euro 2021?

Without counting Euro 2020, I will pick Lewandowski to win.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea fans so excited at the idea of Kante winning it. There great games don't make you deserving of it chaps.
"Deserving".

Come on now, we're talking about the ballon d'Or. Have you seen the voting? It's about as unbiased as the Eurovision song contest.

Kante won't win of course but let's not pretend this is anything actually important.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
"Deserving".

Come on now, we're talking about the ballon d'Or. Have you seen the voting? It's about as unbiased as the Eurovision song contest.

Kante won't win of course but let's not pretend this is anything actually important.
Kante might win if France wins the Euro and he has more than 1 MOM performance.

thepolice123

Will be a tough one for Kante to outshine Mbappe for France. One is an attacker, has tremendous hype surrounding him and seems have additional gear in him whenever he's playing for the NT.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It doesn't work that way, fortunately.

Playing for a big team doesn't make your individual performances less worthy than some player from a not so good team.
Otherwise all the awards won by a Cristiano and Messi are worthless because they were playing for the biggest teams on La Liga(a totally monopolized league) we should take all their awards and give them to the best players from Granada,Real Sociedad or Leganés, who are surrounded by average players which means it's harder to shine for them.

We also should stop giving World Cup Best Player to one player of the 4 semifinalists, it should be given to the best player of some trash team that didn't even pass group stage...i mean, it's harder to shine playing along dross isn't it?

Thank god, no one in FIFA or France Football follows your logic.
Modric literally won a balon dor cause he got to a world cup final. They do indeed follow that logic.

KeanoMagicHat

Modric literally won a balon dor cause he got to a world cup final. They do indeed follow that logic.
He won the World Cup Golden Ball for best player in the World Cup. If he was mediocre in that tournament but Croatia got to the final in spite of him, he wouldn't have won it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What if Rashford scores 10 and wins the Euro 2021?

Without counting Euro 2020, I will pick Lewandowski to win.
Well I’d say anyone who did a Maradona or score 10 goals to win trophy in Euro will win Ballon D’or. But it’s highly unlikely.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He won the World Cup Golden Ball for best player in the World Cup. If he was mediocre in that tournament but Croatia got to the final in spite of him, he wouldn't have won it.
He also won the balon dor.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It is (supposed to be) an individual award. Lewandowski didn’t just break some record. He broke an almost 50 year old record by an icon that was thought to be completely untouchable. No Bayern player had ever come close despite them dominating. Maybe this magnitude is not obvious to non Germans.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It is (supposed to be) an individual award. Lewandowski didn’t just break some record. He broke an almost 50 year old record by an icon that was thought to be completely untouchable. No Bayern player had ever come close despite them dominating. Maybe this magnitude is not obvious to non Germans.
Irrelevant. Scoring against 90 percent ass teams which the bundesliga is. Doesn't mean shit for a balon dor.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope he wins it. Him and Messi are miles ahead of others.

mu4c_20le

Irrelevant. Scoring against 90 percent ass teams which the bundesliga is. Doesn't mean shit for a balon dor.
Exactly. There's an award specifically for that, called the Golden Shoe.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly. There's an award specifically for that, called the Golden Shoe.
Yup. He thinks people gonna give a shit about what he did in bundesliga. I saw the German teams against the likes of City United even what Liverpool did to leipzig. Its a disgrace to even suggest it.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Cantona never reached 10 goals in a single season for Marseille in France, and he scored more than that in England, yeah i know England was not the best league back then and was far behind Serie A and La Liga, but it was still better than France.

Henry himself in Monaco never looked as good as he looked for Arsenal in Premier League...never.

Thing is not scoring in a better league as a much as you scored in an inferior league tends to mean nothing...otherwise english teams wouldn't be looking for players in Ligue 1,Eredivisie,Bundesliga,Portugal,Argentina,etc they would be just hiring players from other english teams.