Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Of course it matters lmfao you ain't got the balls to show all his goals this year that you are hyping to balon dor level cause you know 95 percent are against dross. Best performer performs in the best competitions.
Best players plays well all through the season.

Man you post like a drunken fool, I won't be surprised if you are one. Post formats like some sort of shit poem and then talk about balls.

Yeah Bundesliga is dross, La Liga is dross. PL is mighty and Kante wasnt top 10 player in that one. Playing 3 good games in CL won't make him best player in the world.

Just a quick check shows, Messi has 2 goals+Assists and 2 goals vs PSG. Thats 4 goals, which is around 12%. Yeah who knew hyperbolic shit post had hyperbolic numbers.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Best players plays well all through the season.

Man you post like a drunken fool, I won't be surprised if you are one. Post formats like some sort of shit poem and then talk about balls.
Messi didn't play well all season. He choked against real and atelti in the run in and cost barca any chance of salvaging the game against psg when he missed the pen. Once again show me who his goals come against
I want you explain to me why his goals against these teams make it balon dor worthy. The only one acting the fool here is you. You know you're argument is shit. You won't back if up. And are trying to deflect.

roonster09

Scout
Messi didn't play well all season. He choked against real and atelti in the run in and cost barca any chance of salvaging the game against psg when he missed the pen. Once again show me who his goals come against
I want you explain to me why his goals against these teams make it balon dor worthy. The only one acting the fool here is you. You know you're argument is shit. You won't back if up. And are trying to deflect.
:lol: Only goals vs Madrid team counts. 41 goal + assists in league doesn't count because it wasn't against Madrid clubs.

Go to transfermarkt, search for Messi and see against which teams he scored against. Hint (he has played 21 league games in this year, he has scored or assisted in 17/21 games. That's how good he was, he played 2 CL games and scored in both)

Yeah, my arguments are shit because I'm the one who said breaking Bundesliga record doesn't count because it's shit, scoring shit loads of goals in La lIga doesn't count because it's shit. Only 2 KO games are what matters :lol:

I have already proved your post is nothing but a hyperbolic nonsense in my previous posts. 95% against dross lolzy, all that nonsense. I hope you know the math to calculate.

Lewa scored record breaking number of goals, Messi scored ridiculous number of goals but i have to explain why those goals are Ballon d'or, that's a great argument.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Bring a rebuttal then lmfao I dare you.
Show me exactly who messis goals this year have come against
I'm sure you could figure this out yourself with a minimum effort instead of sarcastic replies.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/lione...r/28003/saison/2020/wettbewerb/ES1/verein/131 - La Liga - (a double against Atletico)

https://www.transfermarkt.com/lione...er/28003/saison/2020/wettbewerb/CL/verein/131 - 2 goals against PSG, 1 against Juventus

The thing about Barcelona is that they for some beyond obscure reason let Suarez leave, and replacd him with nothing. Messi has literally carried Barcelona alone all season, with the odd help from Griezmann, and a occasional cameo from Dembele.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-barcelona/leistungsdaten/verein/131 - At 33 years old, Messi scores twice the number of goals than any player in the club,from right wing.

This has been one of Messis better individual seasons in years. Ignoring the fact that the teams he's scored the most against are 1) Sevilla, 2) Atletico 3) Valencia 4) Real Madrid, you have to remember that ballers are often only as good as their team, and Barcelona have been lacking.

Juventus and Ronaldo are in a similar position, where both players are way and beyond dominant in terms of goal production. Messi also has 11 assists on the season, a number usually only reserved for playmakers.

Or as Ronald Koeman said earlier in the season: "Attackers need to help Lionel Messi"

You can only go so far being Thomas the Tank Engine when the rest of the locomotive yard are still asleep.

The Ballon d'or is awarded for on-field performance and overall behaviour on and off the pitch. It's why you could score 5 goals every game in the Champions League, but if you like to stab kittens after matches, you won't be awarded the price. On field performance takes into account ALL season, not cheerypicked moments of grandeur that fans imagine are more important than domination in away games against Burnley. It's a marathon, not a make-your-own-adventure- sprint where you get into the running if you have a worldie against Real.

Of course big moments matter, but they are far away from being the decider.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
I'm sure you could figure this out yourself with a minimum effort instead of sarcastic replies.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/lione...r/28003/saison/2020/wettbewerb/ES1/verein/131 - La Liga - (a double against Atletico)

https://www.transfermarkt.com/lione...er/28003/saison/2020/wettbewerb/CL/verein/131 - 2 goals against PSG, 1 against Juventus

The thing about Barcelona is that they for some beyond obscure reason let Suarez leave, and replacd him with nothing. Messi has literally carried Barcelona alone all season, with the odd help from Griezmann, and a occasional cameo from Dembele.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-barcelona/leistungsdaten/verein/131 - At 33 years old, Messi scores twice the number of goals than any player in the club,from right wing.

This has been one of Messis better individual seasons in years. Ignoring the fact that the teams he's scored the most against are 1) Sevilla, 2) Atletico 3) Valencia 4) Real Madrid, you have to remember that ballers are often only as good as their team, and Barcelona have been lacking.

Juventus and Ronaldo are in a similar position, where both players are way and beyond dominant in terms of goal production. Messi also has 11 assists on the season, a number usually only reserved for playmakers.

Or as Ronald Koeman said earlier in the season: "Attackers need to help Lionel Messi"

You can only go so far being Thomas the Tank Engine when the rest of the locomotive yard are still asleep.
Messi went on a run this season, from Dec 19th to end of March where he scored or assisted in every La Liga game. That's a run of 14 games.

In this calendar year, he scored in 17 out of 21 La Liga games he played, that's a ridiculous record. It's Messi so it was expected and normal for player of his quality.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Messi went on a run this season, from Dec 19th to end of March where he scored or assisted in every La Liga game. That's a run of 14 games.

In this calendar year, he scored in 17 out of 21 La Liga games he played, that's a ridiculous record. It's Messi so it was expected and normal for player of his quality.
If Bruno put up numbers like that, this place would be pandemonium if he wasn't given the award. There's many standards, none of which are equal to the other, apparently

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

The Ballon d'or is awarded for on-field performance and overall behaviour on and off the pitch. It's why you could score 5 goals every game in the Champions League, but if you like to stab kittens after matches, you won't be awarded the price. On field performance takes into account ALL season, not cheerypicked moments of grandeur that fans imagine are more important than domination in away games against Burnley. It's a marathon, not a make-your-own-adventure- sprint where you get into the running if you have a worldie against Real.

Of course big moments matter, but they are far away from being the decider.
Balon dor 2021
Brings me goals in 2020...

Well done

2 goals against psg

1 pen in a game they got smashed

1 good goal in a game he missed the pen to have any chance of a comeback.

But sure that one good goal is balon dor worthy
:lol: Only goals vs Madrid team counts. 41 goal + assists in league doesn't count because it wasn't against Madrid clubs.

Go to transfermarkt, search for Messi and see against which teams he scored against. Hint (he has played 21 league games in this year, he has scored or assisted in 17/21 games. That's how good he was, he played 2 CL games and scored in both)

Yeah, my arguments are shit because I'm the one who said breaking Bundesliga record doesn't count because it's shit, scoring shit loads of goals in La lIga doesn't count because it's shit. Only 2 KO games are what matters :lol:

I have already proved your post is nothing but a hyperbolic nonsense in my previous posts. 95% against dross lolzy, all that nonsense. I hope you know the math to calculate.

Lewa scored record breaking number of goals, Messi scored ridiculous number of goals but i have to explain why those goals are Ballon d'or, that's a great argument.
Concession accepted

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Balon dor 2021

Well done

2 goals against psg

Concession accepted
I don't quite understand how you managed to reply without reading and understanding what I wrote, especially the last paragraph. But you keep doing you.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Quality control
I don't quite understand how you managed to reply without reading and understanding what I wrote, especially the last paragraph. But you keep doing you.
Because your point was dogshit. To show why your points pro Messi you talk everything BUT 2021
Talk 2020
Tell me about his past years against ateltico real etc
Blame his team mates.

roonster09

Scout
Balon dor 2021

Well done

2 goals against psg

Concession accepted
:lol:

roonster09

Scout
I think couple of posters have given up on him and his shit arguments. It's better to follow that. So many shit posts all with"lolzy Bundesliga is shit, la liga is shit". It's like dealing with Twitter troll account.

roonster09

Scout
If Bruno put up numbers like that, this place would be pandemonium if he wasn't given the award. There's many standards, none of which are equal to the other, apparently
Yeah, the standards for Messi is insane, tbf his average game would be very good for most players. That's how good he is.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah, the standards for Messi is insane, tbf his average game would be very good for most players. That's how good he is.
Messi has 24 motm awards this season and the highest rating on whoscored which again just shows how high his standards are. He's not the monster, he was in his peak but he carried a bang average Barcelona side most season as well. Mpabbe by constrast has 9 motm awards, but on the other hand has 8 goals in 10 games in CL. Since CL goals often seem or goals against big teams are the ones most remembered, Erling Haaland would also be in for a shout for Ballon D'or going by goals only. I still feel Lewandowski is the one who should get it.

roonster09

Scout
Messi has 24 motm awards this season and the highest rating on whoscored which again just shows how high his standards are. He's not the monster, he was in his peak but he carried a bang average Barcelona side most season as well. Mpabbe by constrast has 9 motm awards, but on the other hand has 8 goals in 10 games in CL. Since CL goals often seem or goals against big teams are the ones most remembered, Erling Haaland would also be in for a shout for Ballon D'or going by goals only. I still feel Lewandowski is the one who should get it.
Yeah, there are few contenders. For me Messi and Lewandowski stands out as the best players, Messi as the best with Lewa as close second. Thing with Messi is, he is not just a goal scorer, he is everything. He dribbles past players, scores, assists, creates so many chances. He is playmaker + goal scorer rolled into one.

Wouldn't mind if Lewa wins it too, he deserves it for the season he had, breaking great Muller's record which stood for what, 50 years? Ridiculous season by him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Because your point was dogshit. To show why your points pro Messi you talk everything BUT 2021
Talk 2020
Tell me about his past years against ateltico real etc
Blame his team mates.
I literally gave you the link to the game-by-game stats so you could see for yourself. Like you should have done to begin with to prove your own point, instead of letting others do it for you.

This is such a "d0 YouR owN ReS4arch" way of debating.

For reference: The Ballon d'or is awarded for the season 2020 - 2021, not solely the calendar year of 2021. It sounds like you may not have been aware, which is perfectly fine, so here you go.

Gehrman

I literally gave you the link to the game-by-game stats so you could see for yourself. Like you should have done to begin with to prove your own point, instead of letting others do it for you.

For reference: The Ballon d'or is awarded for the season 2020 - 2021, not solely the calendar year of 2021. It sounds like you may not have been aware, which is perfectly fine, so here you go.
As far as I can read performances in the calendar year is the most important.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

No it's not ???
It's calender year performances.

Don't worry when I get time ill go through all messis goals and you gonna need to explain to me why it's balon dor worthy

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No it's not ???
It's calender year performances.

Don't worry when I get time ill go through all messis goals and you gonna need to explain to me why it's balon dor worthy
Actually. I was wrong about that.

I made a mistake in my assumption and I'll own up to it.

The Ballon d'or is awarded based on performance in a full calendar year. The latter half of the 20/21 season, AND the 21/22 season both will be counted for the 2021 award. Performance for both club and country is counted, as well as behavior and example on and off the pitch.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Lewandowski scored 41 goals in an 18-team league - 34 games - and he missed 5 games through injury. So if he played 38 games in a 20-team league at that clip, he would have scored 51 goals! It's incredible numbers.

The Bundesliga is weak argument doesn't hold up when Lewandowski has 28 goals in his last 24 Champions League games. He scored 5 goals in his last 3 games against Premier League teams.
Well it only explain Lewandoski is a strong forward, doesn’t said much about strength of BL though.

Just take a moment to think of Werner, 2nd top scorer in BL last season. Picture that.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
How many of Messi’s goals this year were free kicks or penalties though?

He has been nowhere near the level of past seasons. To think otherwise is just stupid but stupidity and Roonster often come hand in hand. A truly dreadful poster.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I can’t remember any Ballon D’or winner not winning any major trophies during the season (WC, Euro, CL, or at least a league title). Unless of course if the player is so far ahead of others. IMO Messi has been the best, but not so far ahead. He has a lot of motm in whoscored every year, but not every year he win Ballon D’or. People usually view goals and then assists number as more significant factors than motm (Ronaldo previous years, Messi 2013 & previous years, Lewandoski 2020) or if better narrative exist (ie Modric in 2018), but he doesn’t really clearly stands out among others in both. For Lewandowski he has exceptional goals stats and at least his team wins league title, so he may have better chance. Another reason is, he deserves Ballon D‘or as last year it was taken away from him because of COVID, yeh it may not be relevant but the people who vote may consider that as factor too.
Ronaldo won it in 2013 without winning any major trophies. I thought you’d know that, being the expert on all things Cristiano :D

That was the year that Ribery did the treble with Bayern and Messi won the league (the other two guys in the top three)

roonster09

Scout

He has been nowhere near the level of past seasons. To think otherwise is just stupid but stupidity and Roonster often come hand in hand. A truly dreadful poster.
Free kicks are apparently easy to score and this guy talks about stupidity :lol:

Gehrman

I thought generally free kicks were supposed be hard to score.

roonster09

Scout
I thought generally free kicks were supposed be hard to score.
It's the hardest to score, that's why the conversion rate is so low.

At just penalties argument is understandable but imagine coming up with stupid thing like "yeah but those are free kicks". Not surprising though.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yes and the best player isn't fecking Messi who was shit in big games in the league and cl and has stat padded against awful sides.
scored every single goal against PSG, scored against Juventus, scored multiple goals against Sevilla, scored against Villarreal, had a brace in CdR final, 30 goals
And ten assists on the season and inarguably a ballon d’or top 3 candidate.

If France win the Euros I hope Kante gets it but Messi (and Lewa) are absolutely up there

cheers @roonster09

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

yes, the whopping 7 goals from PK’s despite having 40 goals on the season :lol:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/lionel-messi/elfmetertore/spieler/28003

Just because he wasn’t as good as he was in 2015 doesn’t mean he comfortably wasn’t a top 2-3 player this past season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo won it in 2013 without winning any major trophies. I thought you’d know that, being the expert on all things Cristiano :D

That was the year that Ribery did the treble with Bayern and Messi won the league (the other two guys in the top three)
Well you need to read again what I’ve said. I have literally point out “except the player has been so far ahead of others”.
Ronaldo had scored 55 goals and made 11 assist that year vs Ribery 11 goals and 16 assists, despite them playing in similar position. There’s such a hug gap there which makes it really hard to give it to Ribery.

On the other hand gap between Messi and Lewandowski this year isn’t really that noticeable to begin with. One performs better on pitch while the other scores more goals and broke Muller’s record. Individually they have been making more or less equal impact, with Lewandowski being more successful on top of that and have better narrative to win it (broke Miller’s record).

Last edited:

Mr Smith

The absolute state of this thread :houllier: Think we need to go back to the old newbie system...

Back on topic, I think the Euro's are going to be a big determinant for the Ballon D'or. If England win it you could make a serious argument for Kane despite the state of Spurs, while if France win it Mbappe becomes a frontrunner. Matchwinning performances in the knockout stages will count for a lot.

Rojow

Well you need to read again what I’ve said. I have literally point out “except the player has been so far ahead of others”.
Ronaldo had scored 55 goals and made 11 assist that year vs Ribery 11 goals and 16 assists, despite them playing in similar position. There’s such a hug gap there which makes it really hard to give it to Ribery.
Who cares what he did in 2013. He won nothing and the most impressive thing was that UEFA reopened the votes. Never seen something like that. BTW. He won over Messi with less than 1% difference in votes. Messi was injured for two months that year. At least Ribéry won trophies with Bayern being a key player in that team. Amazing how some people can just compare stats like this.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Are people actually serious when they say Messi should win BdO? He has been atrocious in most big games (even in his one good game against PSG he managed to miss a PK :lol:) this season and while his stats look good, he is the main reason why Barca is having so much trouble defending. He is by far the laziest top player in the world right now, it's actually quite comical by now.

I've already said it, hopefully he renews with Barca, it's nothing but good news for Real Madrid if it happens.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
scored every single goal against PSG, scored against Juventus, scored multiple goals against Sevilla, scored against Villarreal, had a brace in CdR final, 30 goals
And ten assists on the season and inarguably a ballon d’or top 3 candidate.

If France win the Euros I hope Kante gets it but Messi (and Lewa) are absolutely up there

cheers @roonster09
balon dor is just for 2021

messis league stats in 21 read
23 goals 7 assists
2 g against bilbao (10th)
2 g against granada (9th)
1g against bilbao (10th)
1g against betis (6th)
2g 1a against alaves (16th)
1g against cadiz (12th)
2g against elche (17th)
1g 1a against sevilla (4th)
0g 2a against osasuna (11th)
2g 1a against huesca (18th)
2g 1a against sociedad (5th)
2g 1a against getafe (15th)
1g against granada (9th)
2g against valencia (13th)
1g against levante (14th)
1g against celta (8th)

barca finished 3rd
5 points behind real
7 behind champions atletico

this is NOT balon dor worthy
his highest peak was 1 goal against sevilla in 4th
in the run in, in the big crunch games against madrid and atletico, nothing.

in the champions league
the 2 legs against psg
1st leg he was shit he scored a pen barca got slapped
2nd leg he was better scored a screamer but then missed a pen just before half time and killed the tie and any momentum they could have had to turn the tie around

the stats are laid bare above
you are welcome to tell me why he should win the balon dor

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

23 goals 7 assists
1g against bilbao (10th)
1g against betis (6th)
1g against cadiz (12th)
2g against elche (17th)
1g against granada (9th)
1g against celta (8th)

barca finished 3rd
5 points behind real

in the champions league
the 2 legs against psg
2nd leg he was better scored a screamer but then missed a pen just before half time and killed the tie and any momentum they could have had to turn the tie around

he was far from shit in the first leg against psg wtf, you clearly didn’t watch the match.

more MOTM awards than any other player in 2021 and no player in the world is at the top of so many different categories within a league than Lionel Messi:

https://one-versus-one.com/en/players/Lionel-Andres-Messi

Worst case he’s a top 3 candidate for ballon d’or, more likely top 2.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Who cares what he did in 2013. He won nothing and the most impressive thing was that UEFA reopened the votes. Never seen something like that. BTW. He won over Messi with less than 1% difference in votes. Messi was injured for two months that year. At least Ribéry won trophies with Bayern being a key player in that team. Amazing how some people can just compare stats like this.
Well it seems they all care as the award was given to him in the end.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
he was far from shit in the first leg against psg wtf, you clearly didn’t watch the match.

more MOTM awards than any other player in 2021 and no player in the world is at the top of so many different categories within a league than Lionel Messi:

https://one-versus-one.com/en/players/Lionel-Andres-Messi

Worst case he’s a top 3 candidate for ballon d’or, more likely top 2.
I did watch the match he was shit. Barca were shit. They got ripped apart.
So? Who are those motms against ?
The stats are above
The biggest game in the league he did anything in was against 4th placed sevilla scoring 1 goal
Giroud feckin scored 4 against them in one game.
The standard of la ligas top sides isn't great as it is.
He gets no plaudits for stat padding against the rest of the league.

Gehrman

23 goals 7 assists
1g against bilbao (10th)
1g against betis (6th)
1g against cadiz (12th)
2g against elche (17th)
1g against granada (9th)
1g against celta (8th)

barca finished 3rd
5 points behind real

in the champions league
the 2 legs against psg

As I mentioned before football is a team game. Athletico didn't win la liga because Suarez was the best, but because they were the better team with the better manager. Leipzig came 2nd in the bundesliga despite not having topscorer anywhere near the top on the topscorer list. Barcelona only ever came close to pipping to the title because of Messi's 2021 form and then they bottled it, but not because of Messi. I think it's fair enough to point out Messi lack of goals vs the madrid teams this season. There is also more than just looking at goals and assists. Like what you notice when you actually watch the games. He's still the teams creative hub & goalscorer to boot, and is still a world class dribbler despite getting on. Like I said before, I don't think Messi is nailed on for a ballon d'or, but as it stands should be in the top 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
As I mentioned before football is a team game. Athletico didn't win la liga because Suarez was the best, but because they were the better team with the better manager. Leipzig came 2nd in the bundesliga despite not having topscorer anywhere near the top on the topscorer list. Barcelona only ever came close to pipping to the title because of Messi's 2021 form and then they bottled it, but not because of Messi. I think it's fair enough to point out Messi lack of goals vs the madrid teams this season. There is also more than just looking at goals and assists. Like what you notice when you actually watch the games. He's still the teams creative hub & goalscorer to boot, and is still a world class dribbler despite getting on. Like I said before, I don't think Messi is nailed on for a ballon d'or, but as it stands should be in the top 2 or 3.
If balon dor was actually given to the best at football then Messi would never have lost a single one. But its not.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I did watch the match he was shit. Barca were shit. They got ripped apart.
So? Who are those motms against ?
The stats are above
The biggest game in the league he did anything in was against 4th placed sevilla scoring 1 goal
Giroud feckin scored 4 against them in one game.
The standard of la ligas top sides isn't great as it is.
He gets no plaudits for stat padding against the rest of the league.
so then if he doesn’t score against Atletico or Real Madrid he is ineligible for ballon d’or. What elite teams did lewandowski score against in 2021?