Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
so then if he doesn’t score against Atletico or Real Madrid he is ineligible for ballon d’or. What elite teams did lewandowski score against in 2021?
He scored pretty much against all german teams bar Leipzig. His CL goals were against Salzburg and Lazio.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He scored pretty much against all german teams bar Leipzig. His CL goals were against Salzburg and Lazio.
I’m not knocking lewa, but if we are sticking to just matches played in 2021, outside of maybe mbappe and benzema no one has really been amazing against the elite teams of the world in this calendar year.

Eddy_JukeZ

The only real person with an argument over Messi this year is Lewandowski.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
If balon dor was actually given to the best at football then Messi would never have lost a single one. But its not.
I am shocked that we found something we agree upon.

Korwas

Lewandowski has only gone scoreless in 3 games in 2021: In the Club World Cup final that ended 1-0 to Bayern (he assisted the goal and was substituted after 76 minutes), in a cupgame against Holstein Kiel where he was subbed in and only played 46 minutes and against Herta Berlin when he actually played the full game and just didn't score.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lewandowski has only gone scoreless in 3 games in 2021: In the Club World Cup final that ended 1-0 to Bayern (he assisted the goal and was substituted after 76 minutes), in a cupgame against Holstein Kiel where he was subbed in and only played 46 minutes and against Herta Berlin when he actually played the full game and just didn't score.
Scrub. No excuse for going scoreless in three whole matches in a farmers league. Bin him.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Well you need to read again what I’ve said. I have literally point out “except the player has been so far ahead of others”.
Ronaldo had scored 55 goals and made 11 assist that year vs Ribery 11 goals and 16 assists, despite them playing in similar position. There’s such a hug gap there which makes it really hard to give it to Ribery.

On the other hand gap between Messi and Lewandowski this year isn’t really that noticeable to begin with. One performs better on pitch while the other scores more goals and broke Muller’s record. Individually they have been making more or less equal impact, with Lewandowski being more successful on top of that and have better narrative to win it (broke Miller’s record).
He wasn’t far ahead of everyone though. Messi had 42 goals in 45 games in a season where he had some injuries, and he actually won a major trophy. Ribery won the treble as a main guy in the team, no matter what his stats were. Ronaldo only got it because they couldn’t give it to Messi for a 5th straight season.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I am shocked that we found something we agree upon.
Nothing against Messi. He's the best I've ever seen. But his year so far doesn't deserve to win the balon dor. He just wasn't there in the biggest of games nor did barca achieve anything of note.

Flanders Devil

Imagine if Atletico win La Liga, Lille win Ligue 1, Chelsea win the CL, Germany win the Euros and Brazil win the Copa. It's gonna be impossible to declare a definite Ballon d'Or winner :p
This needs more love....

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Imagine if Atletico win La Liga, Lille win Ligue 1, Chelsea win the CL, Germany win the Euros and Brazil win the Copa. It's gonna be impossible to declare a definite Ballon d'Or winner :p
Holy balls.
What are Germanys odds for the euros???
Lump on I say !

OleBoiii

This needs more love....
Holy balls.
What are Germanys odds for the euros???
Lump on I say !
The only conclusion here is that I must keep casually predicting shit without putting anything on the line. The moment I make a bet or something I'm doomed to fail :p

Having said that, if Germany win the Euros and Brazil win the Copa, I think I should get a nice tagline. "Accidental Nostradamus" or something.

Flanders Devil

The only conclusion here is that I must keep casually predicting shit without putting anything on the line. The moment I make a bet or something I'm doomed to fail :p

Having said that, if Germany win the Euros and Brazil win the Copa, I think I should get a nice tagline. "Accidental Nostradamus" or something.
Haha - no complaints form me. Was scary when I read that! Also wish I’d jumped on that bet... mind you Germany is a big if (but so too we’re athletico, Lille and Chelsea at that time!)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He wasn’t far ahead of everyone though. Messi had 42 goals in 45 games in a season where he had some injuries, and he actually won a major trophy. Ribery won the treble as a main guy in the team, no matter what his stats were. Ronaldo only got it because they couldn’t give it to Messi for a 5th straight season.
Sure Messi has always been there and about every year. But Ronaldo did score more goals than Messi plus Ribery added together that year, so there are still some credits in giving it to him. But like almost every year, it was very close match between Ronaldo and Messi. So the main arguments here is Ronaldo (actual winner) vs Ribery (most successful contender) on that particular year instead, for the sole purpose of discussion of "best player vs most successful player". If Messi had won it instead, the discussion will be on Messi vs Ribery for the very same purpose.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Sure Messi has always been there and about every year. But Ronaldo did score more goals than Messi plus Ribery added together that year, so there are still some credits in giving it to him. But like almost every year, it was very close match between Ronaldo and Messi. So the main arguments here is Ronaldo (actual winner) vs Ribery (most successful contender) on that particular year instead, for the sole purpose of discussion of "best player vs most successful player". If Messi had won it instead, the discussion will be on Messi vs Ribery for the very same purpose.
No because Messi won the league, the same league that Ronaldo was playing in. We are talking about players who have won the Ballon D’Or without winning a major trophy because of the notion that Messi could win it this year (which I don’t agree with by the way, unless Argentina win the Copa America).

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The more I think about it the more it’s absolutely hilarious that Saka has got in over Lingard

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No because Messi won the league, the same league that Ronaldo was playing in. We are talking about players who have won the Ballon D’Or without winning a major trophy because of the notion that Messi could win it this year (which I don’t agree with by the way, unless Argentina win the Copa America).
You miss the point. Messi wasn't the most successful player that year, Ribery was. Regardless, Ronaldo won it in the end. And all the while my post was referring to the discussion on most successful vs best player, you just jumped into middle of conversation without knowing some background of it.

This year though, I have no idea who would win it because of upcoming Euro and Copa, but I do think Lewandowski is currently marginally leading it.

Pocho

Why people are still measuring players by the goals?? Messi was the best player in the pitch last night against Chile, he didn´t need to score. He can be scoreless, and still be the best. We can´t say the same about other players. Maradona, for instance, was the best player from 1980 to 1990 and wasn´t a killer. Messi´s goals are a plus.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why people are still measuring players by the goals?? Messi was the best player in the pitch last night against Chile, he didn´t need to score. He can be scoreless, and still be the best. We can´t say the same about other players. Maradona, for instance, was the best player from 1980 to 1990 and wasn´t a killer. Messi´s goals are a plus.
Its the difference between people who watch football and those who watch stats.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You miss the point. Messi wasn't the most successful player that year, Ribery was. Regardless, Ronaldo won it in the end. And all the while my post was referring to the discussion on most successful vs best player, you just jumped into middle of conversation without knowing some background of it.

This year though, I have no idea who would win it because of upcoming Euro and Copa, but I do think Lewandowski is currently marginally leading it.
This is what you said:

“I can’t remember any Ballon D’or winner not winning any major trophies during the season (WC, Euro, CL, or at least a league title). Unless of course if the player is so far ahead of others.”

So you’re saying that it’s Ok to win the BDO without a major trophy if you are statistically far ahead of everyone else. Ronaldo was not statistically far ahead of everyone else, there was another player with a goal a game record and better stats in every area other than goals who just played less games due to injury. He won the voting over that player by a slim margin.

VanKenny

Best player of 2021 is Messi by far. If Poland doesnt win the Euros or Kante/Mbappe dont have an amazing tournament with France, then he's winning it IMO.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Best player of 2021 is Messi by far. If Poland doesnt win the Euros or Kante/Mbappe dont have an amazing tournament with France, then he's winning it IMO.
As if Poland and France winning are the same thing.

No one can expect Poland to do anything this Euros and no one can blame Lewandowski of anything if they don't.

France not winning would be a disgrace at this point looking at their squad. Heavy favorites by some distance.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I mean he’s been good but compared to himself he’s been pretty average actually. That’s the problem that he always has and it’s why he finished 5th a couple of years ago. He doesn’t really get compared to other players, only to the best of himself. Even with CR, most people know that he doesn’t have Messi’s all round game, so they only get compared in terms of goals.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

No one can expect Poland to do anything this Euros and no one can blame Lewandowski of anything if they don't.

France not winning would be a disgrace at this point looking at their squad. Heavy favorites by some distance.
A disgrace? This is direct knock out competition once you get past the group stages, anything can happen regardless of the names on paper. However, if France wins and Mbappe is a major protagonist, he's a potential top 3 in the Ballon d'Or. I don't think the Kante campaign is valid even though I think he's excellent in his own right. Lewandowski is most likely to win it, especially if he starts next season strong. Messi will suffer from two things: lack of silverware and voter's fatigue.

VanKenny

I never said Poland and France winning are the same thing. Nobody is blaming Lewandowski if he doesnt win the Euros, im just saying that in my opinion, breaking a scoring record in a one horse league with a club that buys the best talent that the league can offer every summer isnt that great. Bundesliga is a monopoly, way worse than Ligue1 or SerieA used to be.

Sure, he's a contender, but im just saying he's not a favorite right now.

I mean he’s been good but compared to himself he’s been pretty average actually. That’s the problem that he always has and it’s why he finished 5th a couple of years ago. He doesn’t really get compared to other players, only to the best of himself. Even with CR, most people know that he doesn’t have Messi’s all round game, so they only get compared in terms of goals.
He's been amazing in 2021, even compared to his best form. Just check his individual statistics plus ratings. He's way ahead anyone else in everything, except goalscoring which is a close one against Lewa.

MOTMs, average rating performances, assists, etc, hes, once again, on a league of his own.

In a year where there isnt a real clear winner right now trophy-wise, then i think the one that has been the best football player by far is the favorite, which is Messi.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I never said Poland and France winning are the same thing. Nobody is blaming Lewandowski if he doesnt win the Euros, im just saying that in my opinion, breaking a scoring record in a one horse league with a club that buys the best talent that the league can offer every summer isnt that great. Bundesliga is a monopoly, way worse than Ligue1 or SerieA used to be.

Sure, he's a contender, but im just saying he's not a favorite right now.

He's been amazing in 2021, even compared to his best form. Just check his individual statistics plus ratings. He's way ahead anyone else in everything, except goalscoring which is a close one against Lewa.

MOTMs, average rating performances, assists, etc, hes, once again, on a league of his own.

In a year where there isnt a real clear winner right now trophy-wise, then i think the one that has been the best football player by far is the favorite, which is Messi.
I checked his stats go back a page. It's not balon dor worthy

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Watched him all year and I’ve watched his whole career and I disagree entirely.

Had some terrible games early on this season and then his form really picked up in the new year.

VanKenny

Watched him all year and I’ve watched his whole career and I disagree entirely.

Had some terrible games early on this season and then his form really picked up in the new year.

I said in 2021, which is the year that the balon d or 2021 considers for the winner. 2021 Messi has numbers and performances that rival any of his best years, just check the data and watch his 2021 highlights to see for yourself.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I said in 2021, which is the year that the balon d or 2021 considers for the winner. 2021 Messi has numbers and performances that rival any of his best years, just check the data and watch his 2021 highlights to see for yourself.
His performances rival any of his best years? You’re kidding right? Do you remember Messi in 2010-2015?

VanKenny

His performances rival any of his best years? You’re kidding right? Do you remember Messi in 2010-2015?
Yes, they do. He is not a better football player than his 2010-2015 version of course, but so far in 2021, the goals and assists per minute are up there with his best years, same for his overall rating and his number of MOTM awards.

So yes, his performances this year so far rival the best years of Messi. I cant post media but just look for "Messi 2021" on youtube and tell me that isnt an elite football player.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yes, they do. He is not a better football player than his 2010-2015 version of course, but so far in 2021, the goals and assists per minute are up there with his best years, same for his overall rating and his number of MOTM awards.

So yes, his performances this year so far rival the best years of Messi. I cant post media but just look for "Messi 2021" on youtube and tell me that isnt an elite football player.
I don’t need to look at YouTube highlights bro, I watch the games every week. His performances are not on a par with his best years. They’re still very good though obviously

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Love kante to get it. But balloon d'or nowadays got too much politicised. But for me Lewandowski should be given.

That man deserved for what he did last two seasons. Simply put Chelsea most likely played Bayern in CL final if he was not injured.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nothing against Messi. He's the best I've ever seen. But his year so far doesn't deserve to win the balon dor. He just wasn't there in the biggest of games nor did barca achieve anything of note.
But he and Lewandowski deserve it over Kante that's for sure who wasn't even among the best 5 midfielders in the PL

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
But he and Lewandowski deserve it over Kante that's for sure who wasn't even among the best 5 midfielders in the PL
No they don't. We'll I've not gotten into lewas stats but I broke down messis a few pages back. And it's just goals against ass teams with the best team he scored against being sevilla.
Irrelevant
Champions league > premier league

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Love kante to get it. But balloon d'or nowadays got too much politicised. But for me Lewandowski should be given.

That man deserved for what he did last two seasons. Simply put Chelsea most likely played Bayern in CL final if he was not injured.
It is kind of unfair that he was not able to win it last year when he was the clear favourite. Also this year with breaking Muller’s record, anytime you break one of his records you know it’s a big deal, because the guy was arguably the greatest goalscorer of all time

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Its the difference between people who watch football and those who watch stats.
People who actually watch football would agree that Messi is much worse that his stats suggest. Barca getting spanked by any decent team is down to them having to defend with 9 players for 90 minutes.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
People who actually watch football would agree that Messi is much worse that his stats suggest. Barca getting spanked by any decent team is down to them having to defend with 9 players for 90 minutes.
So it's Messi's fault they concede as often as they do? What rubbish, more MOTM awards than anyone else in 2021.