Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mbappe and Kante is out after their disappointing Euro.

I think it’s now up to Messi, if he leads Argentina to Copa he would win it. If not, then my money is still on Lewandoski. But if Belgium wins it, De Bruyne may have a chance too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'd give it to Lewandowski. Travesty that they decided not to give one last year when he deserved it, nobody has stood out this year. Best individual seasons would go to Lewandowski, Messi or Mbappe probably. Players to get in based on achievement would be Kante for the CL and then depends on who wins the euros or Copa (De Bruyne if Belgium, Kante or Mbappe if France, Messi if Argentina finally wins). Definitely feel like it'll go to a player who only had a few big game performances and was pretty meh for the rest of the year though.
Mbappe has a terrible Euro and he also fails to win the league title, he is definitely out. Kante is out too due to poor Euro. At this stage it would be Lewandoski vs Messi, with De Bruyne having an outside chance if Belgium wins Euro.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
You can be sure the English media will pile on the idea of De Bruyne winning it if Belgium win the Euros.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Mbappe has a terrible Euro and he also fails to win the league title, he is definitely out. Kante is out too due to poor Euro. At this stage it would be Lewandoski vs Messi, with De Bruyne having an outside chance if Belgium wins Euro.
De Bruyne's out for losing against Rudiger.

Raredaredevil

I hope Lewandowski gets it. Criminal that he missed out on last year because they decide to forgo the award.

KeanoMagicHat

Lewandowski, despite a few bad misses, had a better Euros in his 3 games than a lot of other candidates. That should put him in good shape to get him over the line, barring heroics from others or a Copa America for Messi.

thepolice123

Even if France wins the Euros, I still wouldn't give the Ballon d'Or to Kante. He probably needs like 3 consecutive MOTM performances beginning from the quarter finals to even be in the contention if you ask me because he has been absolutely anonymous.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Even if France wins the Euros, I still wouldn't give the Ballon d'Or to Kante. He probably needs like 3 consecutive MOTM performances beginning from the quarter finals to even be in the contention if you ask me because he has been absolutely anonymous.
Who wants to tell him?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
No need to worry about that now

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Its meant to be hypothetical.

I'm responding to earlier posts by people who have Kante a nominee.
You should have said “Even if France had won the Euros” saying “even if” changes your sentence

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
With most of the heavy hitters out out of the way, imagine this scenario, Belgium going to the final, with Lukaku scoring a few more, then they win it.

Before you know it, Lukaku is Ballon Dor winner, wouldn't that be a funny twist?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
With most of the heavy hitters out out of the way, imagine this scenario, Belgium going to the final, with Lukaku scoring a few more, then they win it.

Before you know it, Lukaku is Ballon Dor winner, wouldn't that be a funny twist?
would be a funny twist but with kdb injured Belgium are done for

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Speaking as a messi fan it should still be Lewandowski. He was robbed last year and broke an incredible record this year. If Argentina wins the copa Messi might win it but i think brazil will.

Last edited:

Hulksmash

Even if Messi wins Copa , Lewandowski should win it. Messi has disappointed in big games this season.

But for marketing reason they probably hand it to Messi

Bole Top

last year I'd give it to Lewa no matter what. this year however I feel his case is weaker and I'd give it to KDB or even Lukaku if they win the tournament or Messi if he wins Copa. I like Lewa, but there's no way I rate records from league such as bundesliga ahead of that.

KeanoMagicHat

last year I'd give it to Lewa no matter what. this year however I feel his case is weaker and I'd give it to KDB or even Lukaku if they win the tournament or Messi if he wins Copa. I like Lewa, but there's no way I rate records from league such as bundesliga ahead of that.
If Lewandowski had played against PSG and missed a few chances and they lost then fair enough but I think the fact that he was injured for the game they lost helps his argument, he has scored way more than a goal a game for Bayern, and scored 3 goals in 3 games for Poland in the Euros.

Messi in 2010 and 2019, Ronaldo in 2013 didn’t win the CL or a major tournament so Lewandowski deserves it when the rest of the candidates are far from compelling.

Eddy_JukeZ

If Messi has a good performance vs Brazil at the Maracanã in the Copa final(assuming they meet) and Argentina win, he'll win it.

Bole Top

If Lewandowski had played against PSG and missed a few chances and they lost then fair enough but I think the fact that he was injured for the game they lost helps his argument, he has scored way more than a goal a game for Bayern, and scored 3 goals in 3 games for Poland in the Euros.
all fair, that's why to me everything is dependant on whether KDB and Messi will win the trophy with their national teams. If it stays like this, I wouldn't mind Lewa getting the award at all. however, Messi with Copa or KDB winning it with Belgium is simply better. in both cases it would be their first major trophy for their national teams and it would also mean they won it against opponent more favored to win it then them.

Lewa's record in bundesliga is superb, but that's the nature of the league. I mean, in 2020/21 season, in a single game against their opponents, Bayern scored 3 goals six times, 4 goals seven times, 5 goals four times, they once scored 8 goals and once scored 6 goals. which means, of Lewa's 29 league games, 19 are basically training matches without any weight on them other than chasing some historic records if possible. but like I've said, I don't mind him winning it if Messi and KDB don't win anything this summer.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Still, any record by Gerd Muller that gets broken is a miracle achievement.

R9 broke his World cup record in 2006
Messi broke his goals/year record in 2012
Lewandowski now broke his BL record.

Muller's record was considered to be unbreakable for many decades. It's really a crazy achievement.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Speaking as a messi fan it should still be Lewandowski. He was robbed last year and broke an incredible record this year. If Argentina wins the copa Messi might win it but i think brazil will.
Brazil will it but last year should have no bearing on this one.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
True but Lewa's performances have been just as good anyway.
Yeah but of course if Messi who was also excellent during the season leads Argentina to the Copa he'll win it. But Argentina won't win and in that case Lewandowski will get this one.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jack Grealish is 500/1

Gotta be worth £1. If England win the euros, he plays a starring role & then moves to City straight after, watch those odds drop to about 10/1.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With France and Portugal out, it's down to Messi and Lewandowski IMO. If Messi wins Copa, then it's him, if not, Lewa.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Lewa's record in bundesliga is superb, but that's the nature of the league.
But it is not. Lewandowski broke a 50 year old record that was deemed untouchable.

And Bayern have been dominant for decades while almost always fielding top strikers (Rummenigge, Papin, Klinsmann, Makay, Elber et al.). However none of those players came close to doing what Lewandowski did.

mu4c_20le

But it is not. Lewandowski broke a 50 year old record that was deemed untouchable.

And Bayern have been dominant for decades while almost always fielding top strikers (Rummenigge, Papin, Klinsmann, Makay, Elber et al.). However none of those players came close to doing what Lewandowski did.
No offense but it's like mbappe or neymar breaking a PSG record. Only Bayern fans care. Also how many truly world class players have had a go?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
With France and Portugal out, it's down to Messi and Lewandowski IMO. If Messi wins Copa, then it's him, if not, Lewa.
If Belgium wins it then KDB is in with a strong shout - also won the league and international tournaments bear a lot of weight in this discussion.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Belgium wins it then KDB is in with a strong shout - also won the league and international tournaments bear a lot of weight in this discussion.
I would say yeah but he's just been injured too much this calendar year. Missed 11 games for City in the 2nd half of the season, got injured in the CL final where they lost, and then got injured for Belgium against Portugal. It's harsh to punish someone for getting injured, but we're talking about player of the year, not best player on a team that ended up being successful without him on the pitch. Unless he has 3 absolutely world class performances in the next 3 games and carries Belgium to a win, then he doesn't deserve it, nowhere close IMO.