Ballon d'Or 2022 | Benzema wins

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
If Haller is snubbed here it's time to cancel this whole thing.
if you rearrange the letters in “ballon dor” you get “ ball doner” really makes you think.

OpenIntrovert

Goals doesn't equal a good performance. Haller scored a lot, but missed a lot more sitters and didn't play well most matches. That's what i meant by only watching the highlights. Haller only played 1, maybe 2 good matches all season.
It's about the end product for his position, which is goals. For wingers and attacking midfielders it would be their assists, key passes, key dribbles and goals. In that sense all the players who have been nominated have certainly delivered in terms of expectations.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It's about the end product for his position, which is goals. For wingers and attacking midfielders it would be their assists, key passes, key dribbles and goals. In that sense all the players who have been nominated have certainly delivered in terms of expectations.
So you think that a striker with 30ish goals(in 45 matches) that should've been atleast 50 had a great season just because he scored 30. There is a reason Ajax were eager to sell

Saffron

I blame the Americanization and Ronaldoization of the footballing discourse for Messi’s omission. By Amercanization I mean the obsession with stats in baseball and basketball which has carried over to football, and by Ronaldoization I mean that the once revered eye test has been relegated to the ash heap of history by his fanboys.

Back in the day, when people watched football with their eyes and not through Sofascore, everyone could see that Gerd Müller was ”just” a goalscorer that didn’t contribute enough to the overall play to even be in the conversation for GOAT.

But if he played today, people would drag him into that conversation without hesitation just because they got a lot of notifications from their Sofascore app whenever he played.

Peter Crouch once insisted that Messi would be the best midfielder in the world if he switched to that position. Leo definitely proved him right last season. His contributions as a midfielder (which is what he played as) were top notch, world class, outstanding.

His average SofaScore rating for last season was 7.75. Ronaldo’s was 7.26.

As late as August 2020 SofaScore rated Messi as having 99 ATT, 99 CRE and 99 TEC. Those are fantasy FIFA numbers but in real life.

The corresponding numbers for Cristiano were 97 ATT, 66 CRE and 80 TEC. There is just no comparison.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I blame the Americanization and Ronaldoization of the footballing discourse for Messi’s omission. By Amercanization I mean the obsession with stats in baseball and basketball which has carried over to football, and by Ronaldoization I mean that the once revered eye test has been relegated to the ash heap of history by his fanboys.

Back in the day, when people watched football with their eyes and not through Sofascore, everyone could see that Gerd Müller was ”just” a goalscorer that didn’t contribute enough to the overall play to even be in the conversation for GOAT.

But if he played today, people would drag him into that conversation without hesitation just because they got a lot of notifications from their Sofascore app whenever he played.

Peter Crouch once insisted that Messi would be the best midfielder in the world if he switched to that position. Leo definitely proved him right last season. His contributions as a midfielder (which is what he played as) were top notch, world class, outstanding.

As late as August 2020 SofaScore rated Messi as having 99 ATT, 99 CRE and 99 TEC. Those are fantasy FIFA numbers but in real life.

The corresponding numbers for Cristiano were 97 ATT, 66 CRE and 80 TEC. There is just no comparison.
And so it begins...:rolleyes:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

‘I blame people looking at stats…… Here are some stats’

Messi was fairly dogshit in a farmers league. He didn’t deserve to be in the conversation.

Nor does Ronaldo.

Don’t try to attribute anything to this beyond Ronaldo having a team of people ensuring he’s on the list all the time.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Neither Ronaldo or Messi deserve to be on the list, who cares...

Benzema will win it anyway.

I can see Ronaldo attending the ceremony, even if he knows he isn't winning, just to congratulate his former teammate Karim.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

Give over.

He had a shite season and didn't make it, period.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Gred Muller is such a bad choice of example. Gred Muller was much more than just a goal scorer.

Sheran18

Of course Messi isn't nominated, he only scored 6 goals in the league, that's really embarrassing. He also knocked PSG out of the CL in the round of 16 with his terrible performance against Madrid and he even missed a very important penalty. Messi also knocked PSG out of the France's Cup in the round of 16.

This is embarrassing for Messi too, because PSG reached the UCL's Final shortly before they signed him, and they played the France's Cup Final seven years in a row without him, but this year with Messi they got knocked out in the round of 16 in both competitions. So the truth is Messi destroyed PSG and worsened them.

Messi not only hasn't been one of the 30 best players of the season, he isn't even in the top 50 best players.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Gred Muller is such a bad choice of example. Gred Muller was much more than just a goal scorer.
True - but the poster still has a point: his numbers would've been regarded differently if he'd played today.

If Messi's sheer numbers (goals) hadn't been impossible to ignore, the people claiming that he's the GOAT would've been completely drowned out by Ronaldo fans shouting about numbers (and he definitely would've won less Ballons too).

Of course Messi isn't nominated, he only scored 6 goals in the league, that's really embarrassing.
There you go.

Pocho

Of course Messi isn't nominated, he only scored 6 goals in the league, that's really embarrassing. He also knocked PSG out of the CL in the round of 16 with his terrible performance against Madrid and he even missed a very important penalty. Messi also knocked PSG out of the France's Cup in the round of 16.

This is embarrassing for Messi too, because PSG reached the UCL's Final shortly before they signed him, and they played the France's Cup Final seven years in a row without him, but this year with Messi they got knocked out in the round of 16 in both competitions. So the truth is Messi destroyed PSG and worsened them.

Messi not only hasn't been one of the 30 best players of the season, he isn't even in the top 50 best players.
shittiest post ever read here.

Pocho

great post

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Benzema or Lewa, but Benzema will probably win it because he won the CL.
And tore PSG, Chelsea and City apart.

And showed probably the most dominant performances in KO rounds of CL ever.

Lord SInister

And tore PSG, Chelsea and City apart.

And showed probably the most dominant performances in KO rounds of CL ever.
It is not worth replying to people who even question Benzema's credential to win this season's Ballon D'or. And people should remember this year's Ballon D'or is given based on 2021/22 season, and not 2022 calendar year like it uses to happen previously.

Lord SInister

True - but the poster still has a point: his numbers would've been regarded differently if he'd played today.

If Messi's sheer numbers (goals) hadn't been impossible to ignore, the people claiming that he's the GOAT would've been completely drowned out by Ronaldo fans shouting about numbers (and he definitely would've won less Ballons too).

There you go.
I got his point, was just pointing that example was wrong. Gred Muller was far from cherry pick tap in merchant people think he was.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Probably an old man yells at cloud thing but it feels like one of the weakest nomination list I remember. Nunez, Haller, Foden, Diaz, Rüdiger, I don't know.... I probably didn't watch enough football last year.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Yes, just more proof that the Ballon D'Or is stupid. This goal obsession is ridiculous.

youmeletsfly

This is one of the most well hidden WUM's I've seen on this forum. Chapeau

Lord SInister

I am a Messi guy, Messi all day long over Ronaldo, but this Ronaldo degrading in this thread is stupid. Messi had a good but nothing spectacular club season alongside a good national team season. Ronaldo had a good club and national team season carrying a bunch of losers who deserve to be playing in a championship. He still did what he does best and that is score goals. While you can argue Messi deserved it apart from some other name, but dragging Ronaldo is just stupid. What do you want Ronaldo to do score 50 goals while playing with a shite team who has no clue what to do when they have the ball in their feet.

Pocho

I am a Messi guy, Messi all day long over Ronaldo, but this Ronaldo degrading in this thread is stupid. Messi had a good but nothing spectacular club season alongside a good national team season. Ronaldo had a good club and national team season carrying a bunch of losers who deserve to be playing in a championship. He still did what he does best and that is score goals. While you can argue Messi deserved it apart from some other name, but dragging Ronaldo is just stupid. What do you want Ronaldo to do score 50 goals while playing with a shite team who has no clue what to do when they have the ball in their feet.
agree. The thing is that you can’t compare these players. One is mainly a goalscorer and the other is a playmaker that scores a lot.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Very tight between Benzema and Casemiro. The latter probably edges it slightly imo.

do.omb

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah mate. You should probably try again. Gerd won the Ballon d'Or and finished 2nd twice, third once by the way. It's more likely that his lack of and Beckenbauer's abundance of charisma has skewed today's view on his greatness.