Ballon d'Or 2022 | Benzema wins

Resonance

I always said Casemiro should be winning this, nothing to do with him now being a United player, honest.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its about time a DM wins it. Come on just give it to Casemiro, the best player in CL final.

If Benzema doesn’t win it,
It will be an injustice to the game (another one).

Ladron de redcafe

It is not worth replying to people who even question Benzema's credential to win this season's Ballon D'or. And people should remember this year's Ballon D'or is given based on 2021/22 season, and not 2022 calendar year like it uses to happen previously.
Even then, it was never really based on the calender year. Voting closed in September/October and the performances in the fall of the new season didn't count for much.

It's more clear-cut this year when they establish that the football season is what factors into the decision, and I don't see anyone with a better claim than Benzema. Salah started off last season flying and really dropped in level after the African Nations Cup. Lewandowski wasn't as great as he was the two prior years, and Mbappé was part of the collapse at the hands of Madrid and Benzema, which is going to hurt him.

KeanoMagicHat

Even then, it was never really based on the calender year. Voting closed in September/October and the performances in the fall of the new season didn't count for much.

It's more clear-cut this year when they establish that the football season is what factors into the decision, and I don't see anyone with a better claim than Benzema. Salah started off last season flying and really dropped in level after the African Nations Cup. Lewandowski wasn't as great as he was the two prior years, and Mbappé was part of the collapse at the hands of Madrid and Benzema, which is going to hurt him.
Mbappé wasn’t exactly part of the collapse or at least the reason for it, he scored two great goals in both legs and was very good. But ultimately by going out the team let him down so the guy who loses in the last 16 v the guy who wins it, the guy who wins it always has a massive advantage.

Ladron de redcafe

Mbappé wasn’t exactly part of the collapse or at least the reason for it, he scored two great goals in both legs and was very good. But ultimately by going out the team let him down so the guy who loses in the last 16 v the guy who wins it, the guy who wins it always has a massive advantage.
I agree. But players have always been penalised for their team's performances in the biggest stages, even when the players themselves performed well. It isn't fair, but we have seen it happen time and time again.

You could argue that the team let him down, as you put it. And I think that losing in the round of 16 almost puts you out of contention (which I also agree is ridiculous because the focus should be solely on the individual performances rather than team results).

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Forgot the donkey got nominated just because Liverpool spent 100m on him :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Nunez makes me think I can still make it as a professional footballer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Best description i got of Darwin came off twitter:

Athleticism of an olympian
Technique of a 45 year old dad wearing timberlands
Football IQ of a wooden spoon

Samid

Ballon d'Or now available in NFT form for those interested. Your chance to have more Ballon d'Ors than Lewandowski.

Dan

Best description i got of Darwin came off twitter:

Athleticism of an olympian
Technique of a 45 year old dad wearing timberlands
Football IQ of a wooden spoon
:lol:

Wonder who nominated him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol:

Wonder who nominated him.
The Sri Lankan vote is always a good laugh. The likes of Trent and Bonucci have been voted as the best player in the world by the Sri Lankan journalists. I remember the Cook Islands voting for Brad Friedal once as the best player in the world.

Pintu

Ronaldo ranked 20... That means B. Silva and Leao will be (rightfully should I say) ranked higher than him. Going to be challenging for his ego in their dressing room at the WC.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ronaldo ranked 20... That means B. Silva and Leao will be (rightfully should I say) ranked higher than him. Going to be challenging for his ego in their dressing room at the WC.
Silva is 22nd

Samid

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So, how will they factor in this year's World Cup performances in next year's Ballon...thing.

Isn't the thing supposed to be based on a calendar year (a ridiculous concept in itself, given...you know, how football works).

Anyway, yeah. Whatever. Disgrace that Ronnie didn't win it.

Korwas

So, how will they factor in this year's World Cup performances in next year's Ballon...thing.

Isn't the thing supposed to be based on a calendar year (a ridiculous concept in itself, given...you know, how football works).

Anyway, yeah. Whatever. Disgrace that Ronnie didn't win it.
I think they changed it to be based on seasons moving forward.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Can’t help but feel bad for Valbuena.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think they changed it to be based on seasons moving forward.
Starting with the next one, you mean?

Or is this one based on performances in the 2021-22 season?

(I only give around 33% of a feck - but still, would like clarification).

Pintu

Starting with the next one, you mean?

Or is this one based on performances in the 2021-22 season?

(I only give around 33% of a feck - but still, would like clarification).
Yes starting with this one. So Benzema’s includes his NL trophy (whatever that counts for). Even though it makes it weird to count that part in 2 editions, since Messi’s 2021 ballon d’Or covered the entire 2021 calendar year.