Ballon d'Or 2023 | Messi wins for 8th time

keithsingleton

Some of you go on about needing to produce it in a World Cup to get the status for winning the Bent Ballon D’Or is bullsh!t. feck sake it’s every 4 years unlike the domestics be it here or in Europe which is every year. We all know if favours those who play in La Liga.

Not forgetting (( Haaland as an example)) will never win a World Cup because Norway don’t have the surrounding players to make that possible, they never even qualified.

We know Messi has produced it year in, year out and has won Ballon D’Ors on merit but not this one. Tell me what he’s done outside a competition that comes around every 4 years Over the last 12 months?

For the record he still didn’t do it in the hardest league in football and when he did was surround by world class players. Do I think he could have done it in the Premier league? Yes I do, BUT HE DIDN’T so that will always leave food for thought. Ronaldo did it in all the best league and certainly wasn’t surrounded by world class players all his life.

Rant over…

Fabio Rochemback

Love the guy but this is very silly, he's not even in the top 10 best players in the world now, probably not top 20.

It was obvious he'd win but the Ballon D'Or is meaningless now, about as relevant as counting up Instagram likes.

Oranges038

It's a popularity contest. Nobody likes City or Haaland. No point arguing about it, personally I think they should give this award to anyone who isn't a City player regardless of how much they win.

Most popular player in the world, he just won a world cup, he was always winning it.

Bole Top

wow, people actually debating whether it was deserved :lol:

it's simple actually. Haaland has the stats, but it was never enough to compare to the Messi's world cup triumph. he won the biggest tournament there is performing like a true goat in several high stake matches in row.

City on the other hand rarely play such matches because of the nature of the league and them entering the competition as a favourite every fecking year. and even in those few matches that should be tough (at least on the paper), he was overshadowed by his teammates. Arsenal was their closest opponent in EPL and it was KDB who was the best player in those matches. same story with CL semis and final, where he was nowhere to be seen.

you'd have to be insane or simply a bitter CR fan to value City's achievements over a world cup :houllier:

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
No ballons awarded to wc-winners when Messi or Ronaldo were winning CL or Ligas. Ah well.

Taribo's Gap

Julian Alvarez? Looks bang average every time I watch him - admittedly I only watch City when I must. Such a boring team to watch.
He wasn't all that last year, when he won all of the trophies, but he's stepped it up this season. A lot of Real Madrid fans want him as their striker option.

Rossa

He wasn't all that last year, when he won all of the trophies, but he's stepped it up this season. A lot of Real Madrid fans want him as their striker option.
As I said, I don't watch City more than I have to, but he looks a little average in too many ways for me - I might be mistaken though. Watching City is a perpetual snooze.

Ludens the Red

What are you talking about? Who said Otamendi has been shit throughout the tournament, can you read?
In Maradona's, Pele's, Zidane's, R9's teams, there were many players showing amazing performances as well, yet we always say they carried their team to WC glory. Do you know what that means?

Who cares about what you think about goals& assists? Messi is a GOAT level playmaker + dribbler + goalscorer, comparing a tap-in merchant with Messi.

Imagine thinking Messi is a penalty box poacher like Haaland the finals ghost camping in the penalty box all night long. Messi is a playmaker first, won IFFHS World's best playmaker award a record of 5 times.. Go watch some youtube videos..

That's because the best products of Italian, French, Spanish, Argentina, Brazil football almost always choose Spain or Italy. They prefer living in Milan, Barcelona, Madrid with a Latin influence over living in Manchester, Liverpool etc. is this surprising for you? PL has been a league where second fiddles to Xavi like David Silva, Mata, Fabregas wreak havoc.

You're still comparing the GOAT with one of the most one-dimensional strikers of all time with no passing, dribbling, link-up, hold-up play skills. The only way Haaland wins the Ballon D'or for Madrid is if he plays like Benzema and carries his team, that''s how you win Ballon D'or as a striker..He is too limited versus Benzema as a striker..

Thinks we will get impressed by his PL stats at City that has been dominating PL without a striker.. A team where even Raheem Sterling who is notorius for his finishing was able to score 20 in the PL..

You are too clueless, football is a team sport.. Of course, multiple players in the same team might have critical moments.. Messi is the MVP of the tournament, do you know what that means? Do you think that prevents his teammates from having key moments as well? Do you think Maradona's, Pele's, Zidane's, Cruyff's, Ronaldo's, Platini's teammates did not have moments saving their teams?

Talks about Messi's teammates contributions, conveniently ignoring how Haaland the tap-in merchant was bailed out in every single semis & final games.. 0 goals & assists in 8 games when City scored 12..

To put things into perspective, if Burruchaga missed the goal with Maradona's pass against Germany in the WC final and lost eventually, then Maradona would not be called a GOAT.

To put things into perspective, if Thuram did not score two against Croatia, in the WC semis when they were down 1-0, Zidane would not have the same legendary status he has now.

To put things into perspective, if Ronaldinho did not save his team against England in 2002 WC when they were down to 10-men in the QFs, R9 would not have the same legendary status..

To put things into perspective, if John Terry did not slip and missed the penalty in the CL semis when they were down 1-0, SAF would finish his career with a single CL and Ronaldo would have no CL before Real..

Do you want me to continue putting things into perspective for you?
I think you win this round …

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
“best player in the wc” for messi and “golden shoe/gerd muller award” for haaland. Both are not BD. You focused on one to call it ridiculous but siding the other, not realizing the irony. Thats all
What? How did I do that?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Haaland should win it for been a tap in merchant in the best team he means. Give it to Messi all day every day.

He created true magic Haaland didn’t. You shouldn’t win ballon dors for goal hanging.
I never mentioned Haaland?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Some of you go on about needing to produce it in a World Cup to get the status for winning the Bent Ballon D’Or is bullsh!t. feck sake it’s every 4 years unlike the domestics be it here or in Europe which is every year. We all know if favours those who play in La Liga.

Not forgetting (( Haaland as an example)) will never win a World Cup because Norway don’t have the surrounding players to make that possible, they never even qualified.

We know Messi has produced it year in, year out and has won Ballon D’Ors on merit but not this one. Tell me what he’s done outside a competition that comes around every 4 years Over the last 12 months?

For the record he still didn’t do it in the hardest league in football and when he did was surround by world class players. Do I think he could have done it in the Premier league? Yes I do, BUT HE DIDN’T so that will always leave food for thought. Ronaldo did it in all the best league and certainly wasn’t surrounded by world class players all his life.

Rant over…
Oh boy the never did it in the pl argument and when he play them in the cl he played for a good team. Was he supposed to play for Sevilla? It wasnt his team mates using puppet strings to make Messi turn pl players inside out. He did that to everyone. Or transfer to a mediocre pl team? Makes sense to transfer from your dream club if you can take a step down to prove you can do alright whilst playing for spurs or something.

And Ronaldo was hardly surrounded by poor players at man utd in his first stint. Fergie considered the 2006-2009 team the strongest squad he had put together.

But i dont know why we are talking about Ronaldo. Messi just won a Ballon d'or and Ronaldo wasnt nominated.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

It's not just the fact that he won "a world cup", it's also about his contribution to his country winning it. There's a difference.
Exactly. The circumstances of Messi winning the World Cup at 35 after all those failed attempts with several magic moments at key times in every match was up there with the greatest occasion I’ve seen in football in my lifetime. The people who downplay that must have a prior agenda against Messi. It was once in a generation stuff.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Exactly. The circumstances of Messi winning the World Cup at 35 after all those failed attempts with several magic moments at key times in every match was up there with the greatest occasion I’ve seen in football in my lifetime. The people who downplay that must have a prior agenda against Messi. It was once in a generation stuff.
Yep, and simply saying “aaargh he won a World Cup” kind of ignores any other context around it, especially his performances in carrying Argentina there, in a fashion not often seen and a sort of fashion that’s immortalised others before him (Pele, Maradona the 2 obvious ones).

Had Argentina simply just scraped by with minimal contribution/iconic performances from Messi, it’s just about guaranteed Haaland would have won it.

Gehrman

I dont get it either. Bossing the wc at 35 and winning it is incredible. And he showed his full range of ability despite being years well past his best. His trademark outside the box strikes, his dribbling ability especially his assist vs Croatia and his passing ability with his no look nutmeg pass vs Netherlands. And he scored 2 in the final despite non of the goals being spectacular. But who cares. Its in the final.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

translation: "nobody cares because I don't care because Messi won it 8 times and I don't like it". You should hear what the players said at the event, and how much they care for this award. When you stop crying, obviously.
I know very well how that event works and I know how it works behinds scenes. Don't worry about that.

I think Messi is one of worlds best, if not the best, footballer of all time. That doesn't mean he should get awards just because he is Messi.

Can you tell my why he got it? Was he best player last year? Was it because of World Cup? Because I can give you a lot of players winning more than he did last year. We got a ManCity player winning pretty much everything there is to win last year, inclusive World Cup. I'm not saying he is better player but if you count trophies. If you look at quality he isn't that Messi he used to be, so he couldn't win on quality. So why did he win? I want to here your opinion.

AndySmith1990

Greatest player ever plays great and wins the World Cup at 35, then proceeds to win a Ballon d'or. Hardly controversial

EireRed_GS

Cant really argue.. haaland was the only other had a shout.. Messi being considered the Goat and winning WC sealed it

On a side note.. What was that clown ispeed doing there, and why didnt someone tell him to shut the fck up acting like a 10 year old child because it wasnt Ronaldo. Pure cringe..

MrEleson

Pretty sure as per France Football’s criteria, the date the award was being given for excludes the world cup period. It states explicitly on their website that it’s from December 22nd till sometime in June/July after the season has ended.

I really have a hard timed deducing what grounds Messi is being given the award for.

I mean Di Maria who was fantastic at the World Cup and probably the MOTM in the final wasn’t even nominated…

And for the record, I don’t think halaand should have won it either.

Last edited:

Paula

Supports
Bayern
This award is just a big joke, i dont know why people are so hyped about this?
Its not about who is the best player, but about who is the best brand.

Gehrman

Pretty sure as per France Football’s criteria, the date the award was being given for excludes the world cup period. It states explicitly on their website that it’s from December 22nd till sometime in June/July after the season has ended.

I really have a hard timed deducing what grounds Messi is being given the award for.

I mean Di Maria who was fantastic at the World Cup and probably the MOTM in the final wasn’t even nominated…

And for the record, I don’t think halaand should have won it either.
On wiki it says the voting period was 1. August 2022 to 31 july 2023

Gehrman

This award is just a big joke, i dont know why people are so hyped about this?
Its not about who is the best player, but about who is the best brand.
Sometimes that is the case but i frankly think Messi and Ronaldo dominating it since they hit their stride is absolutely deserved.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Will continue to astound me how complete randoms on the internet get so affected by this fecking award.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Wow so who should have won it? KDB, Mbappe or CR7?
Only Haaland and Messi should be in the conversation, that much is obvious
Messi shouldn’t be in the conversation. He wasn’t the best player in the world last year. Someone might argue he was the best player at the World Cup. I may not disagree…but for me he’d have to have also been a standout player domestically also. Seems like so many are basing assessments on sentiment over a four week period which in the context of the award is strange. At least it’s the last time Messi wins it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Winning the Ballon D'or after a good World Cup and meh domestic campaign is quite common. It was an obvious winner.

I'm glad it wasn't Haaland cos the player is so fecking boring. A poacher being the best player in the world just sums up football lately

Gehrman

Winning the Ballon D'or after a good World Cup and meh domestic campaign is quite common. It was an obvious winner.

I'm glad it wasn't Haaland cos the player is so fecking boring. A poacher being the best player in the world just sums up football lately
His domestic campaign wasnt meh. His cl campagin was.

Swordsman

what happened to the 1986 argentina, 1994 brazil, 2010 spain, 2014 spain, 2018 France players ??
All of them got robbed hard ?

MadMike

Messi shouldn’t be in the conversation. He wasn’t the best player in the world last year. Someone might argue he was the best player at the World Cup. I may not disagree…but for me he’d have to have also been a standout player domestically also. Seems like so many are basing assessments on sentiment over a four week period which in the context of the award is strange. At least it’s the last time Messi wins it.
Do you also apply the reverse? That for someone to win on a World Cup year, he also has to be a standout player internationally? Because if you do, then KDB and Haaland shouldn't be in the conversation either.

Ultimately Messi had a very good season for PSG (16 goals and 16 assists in 32 league games , 4 goals and 4 assists in 7 UCL games) while also being the standout player at the WC.

You can say you disagree with him winning, but to say he shouldn't be in the conversation is frankly bonkers and comes across as biased.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
what happened to the 1986 argentina, 1994 brazil, 2010 spain, 2014 spain, 2018 France players ??
All of them got robbed hard ?
Who knows, it isn't consistent but we've seen Cannavaro and R9 win the award after less than stellar domestic campaigns but due to the WC win. I don't get why it bothers people so much, blame the players who are voting for their peers

Nicolarra90

Messi's pass in Di Maria's goal in the final is worth more than all the shit goals from Haaland against shit teams like Everton, Leeds, Sheffield United and us.

Gehrman

Who knows, it isn't consistent but we've seen Cannavaro and R9 win the award after less than stellar domestic campaigns but due to the WC win. I don't get why it bothers people so much, blame the players who are voting for their peers
Well apart from non European players not being able to win it back in Maradona's day, its just that Messi and Ronaldo happened. And erm Modric in 2018 when the other 2 guys got a year off.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
So who should be in the conversation? Who is the best player domestically and internationally?

Gehrman

No ballons awarded to wc-winners when Messi or Ronaldo were winning CL or Ligas. Ah well.
Because they were easily the 2 best players in the world for about 14 years.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought it was completely obvious and justified that he would win, then I see everyone having a fecking conniption in here :lol: