Baltimore bridge collapse

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If a ship takes the middle of the channel there’s tons of clearance either side. The greater risk would be the ship being too high and failing to clear the bridge deck.

In this case though, the ship was nowhere near the centre of the channel. It was so close to the support that any loss of control or slight miscalculation would massively increase the risk of a collision.

I wonder why it was taking that course. It doesn’t look like it was trying to get out of the way of anything coming towards it.
CISA has just confirmed that the ship "lost propulsion". It looks like from what the BBC is reporting that the ship drifted off course 5 minutes before hitting the bridge, I presume it drifted into it.

Zen86

Imagine the “oh shit” thoughts going through the head of whoever was driving that thing.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Didn't expect to see the whole thing collapse. If it were a movie I would think the special effects were not that good. Insane footage.

Revan

Assumptionman

ManUtd1999

There was no malice or sarcasm in the white font.

From that angle of this particular video, the ship which despite the light problems (whatever the cause was) looked like it would make it without hitting anything, then steered in the direction of the one of the main pillars. I'm not assuming anything, the investigation will tell us what really happened.
I'm concerned, but yes we will wait for the investigation.

@Charlie Foley Thank you. Everyone I know is ok. I work just outside Baltimore and I expect that many students/employees will have hard time getting to school on time today. I hope that they learned about this early enough and elected different routes (which of course are expected to be busier than usual).

This is unbelievable footage.

Carolina Red

Staff
The other aspect is, this is going to cripple commercial shipping as well. BMW and VW apparently build a facility down the bay so they may not be impacted as much but there are tons of car and container facilities beyond that bridge.
You can see one of the car offloading facilities here: Baltimore - Google Maps
Not to be funny, but the only thing I can think of is Season 2 of The Wire but absurdly worse

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
How long do you reckon it takes to fix that bridge? Surely we're talking at least a year, unless the government throw hundreds of millions into the reconstruction project in order to speed things up.

The other bridge (about 4 km away) will be seriously congested going forward. Not good for such a car centric country.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Suddenly it makes a ton more sense why -aside from financial reasons probably - cable stayed bridges are so much more popular to construct these days. No pillars in the water to be hit or if there are - it needs a lot fewer of them.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Some incredibly fortunate individuals whose vehicles made it across in the nick of time in the video footage.
Unbelievably so; imagine crossing the bridge then seeing it collapse in your rear view mirror, fecking hell.

Carolina Red

Staff
How long do you reckon it takes to fix that bridge? Surely we're talking at least a year, unless the government throw hundreds of millions into the reconstruction project in order to speed things up.

The other bridge (about 4 km away) will be seriously congested going forward. Not good for such a car centric country.
It took 5 years to build it the first time.

Simbo

Bonkers. Seems a massive stroke of luck there were no moving vehicles on it when it hit, just those unfortunate workers.

Charlie Foley

Apparently because of the angle the ship came in at, it avoided the protective objects in the water (known as dolphins)

Charlie Foley

8 workers on the bridge, 2 accounted for, one of which is in hospital. Searching for the other six :( they were working on potholes ffs

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Apparently because of the angle the ship came in at, it avoided the protective objects in the water (known as dolphins)
Aha! so there are measures in place that normally cater for such things? That's good to hear. Tragic this vessel managed to avoid them. I guess that will be looked into as it shouldn't be possible to circumvent the safety measures.

Charlie Foley

Aha! so there are measures in place that normally cater for such things? That's good to hear. Tragic this vessel managed to avoid them. I guess that will be looked into as it shouldn't be possible to circumvent the safety measures.
Yeah. They are saying if it had come in straight on it would likely have hit them

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion? How does that work?
Well you see, only white christian men are capable of doing jobs competently, so if anyone involved, and I do mean anyone, is not a WCM then obviously they only got their job via DEI and it was their fault.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion? How does that work?
Racism and misogyny. If any company involved in either the ship or the bridge has said anything about DEI, then that is now immediately connected to the culture war. If this had happened two years ago I'm sure they'd have found some way of blaming it on critical race theory.

RedDevil@84

Fox News apparently had some discussion about whether President Biden would have considered this as a disaster big enough to be woken up at night and that President Trump would have wanted to be woken up at this "national disaster".
They have their priorities right.